Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Congrats to KJ and Miura at The Players

SPY ZINGER

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 15, 2011

THE WINNER OF THE 2011 PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP USES MIURA GOLF CB-501 FORGED CAVITY-BACK IRONS

VANCOUVER, British Columbia—The winner of the 2011 PLAYERS Championship used CB-501 forged cavity-back irons made by Japanese golf-club manufacturer Miura Golf, which has been making the world's highest-quality forged irons for 45 years, the company announced today.

Sunday's champion captured the title on the first hole of a sudden-death playoff—the famous island-green 17th hole at the TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. The winner's bag contained Miura's CB-501 4-PW irons with frequency matched KBS Steel Shafts with progressive swing weights, as well as Miura's Classic 54- and 60-degree wedges. The CB-501 boasts a W nickel (satin) chrome finish.

"The winner of THE PLAYERS Championship chose Miura, which pleases us greatly," says Adam Barr, president of Miura. "We don't sign players to endorsement contracts, so when they come to us, it's a real compliment to Mr. [Katsuhiro] Miura's craftsmanship. And when they win, we naturally feel very proud."

Mr. Miura's goal with the CB-501 was to create an iron that featured the ideal ball flight, enough offset to promote playability, the perfect head size and a sole grind that would accommodate a broad range of players.

In all, Mr. Miura spent two years integrating these design variables in different ways until he found the blend that worked best for the widest range of golfers. The result is the CB-501—a cavity-back iron featuring a small muscle-back located behind the sweet spot that delivers the trajectory of a blade iron when the ball is struck on the center of the face. This style of iron also offers cavity-back forgiveness and ball flight, as the contact point moves away from the center of the face.

"It's validation enough when one of the world's best players chooses to play your company's clubs," Barr adds, "but that validation takes on an even bigger meaning when he beats the world-class field in the PGA TOUR's marquee event of the year."

Posted Image

Good win for KJ Classy guy.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I didn't know he was playing Miuras. I was actually just talking to my dad yesterday about whether or not he was still carrying a PING bag (he watched the tournament, I was flying and couldn't). Is he still playing hybrids through the 6I or was that just got Augusta?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

All I can say, it's about time he won a Major. He's been so due, and always around the top at the majors. Plus, he looks like one heck of a nice guy and he interacts with the fans, all pluses in my book.

GOOD WIN KJ...you see Choi's Boyz in the gallery?

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

well he didn't technically win a Major but he did win a prestigious championship and one of the largest purses for golf I think I heard it was valued at $1.7 million. I'm glad to see him win though this was definitely the biggest win of his career so far great guy to see that go to.

Archived