Sign in to follow this  
808nation

Single Length Irons

Our Sponsors

Does anyone have any experience with single length iron sets? How do they perform versus conventional incremental length irons?

1467338432790.jpg

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

When I post a image, why does it always attach a duplicate image?!

When I post a image, why does it always attach a duplicate image?!

That's just how the app shows it. When I look at it on my phone I only see one image

• Like 1

That's just how the app shows it. When I look at it on my phone I only see one image

Thank you, it was driving me nuts.

Mark Crossfield did a review on a set.  He seemed impressed with the idea...

It's an intriguing concept that has been around for years but has been highlighted recently by Bryson DeChambeau's play.  They must be custom fitted for your swing and even then there will be a learning curve to hit them decently.  They are not just regular clubs cut to the same length.  All head weights will be the same, and the length will be determined by your swing, but probably a 6-8 iron length.  Imagine playing your PW at a 6i length, and what do you think your longest iron will feel like with a heavier head on it.  If you are looking to make a major swing change anyway, it might be worth a try.  

I know the owner of a local golf shop and he has sold 10 sets of these in two weeks.  I asked him how the patrons were liking them and he said to a man, that they came back and bought the gap wedges and sand wedges and were thrilled with the sets.  Very positive.

My coach and I were talking about these types of irons as we were figuring out which hogans to order. I had wondered how the average player would do with these because not everyone can swing as fast as Bryson does.

I have a set of Sterling irons ordered and will report back once I have them built.  I'm a decent player but wanted to give the idea a try to see how it pans out.  Looking forward to the experiment.

• Like 1

The fact that these are custom fit Wishons would really help a lot. You also don't need a single plane DeChambeau swing to game these either. You can hit them with a "normal" swing, but I have heard that you need above a certain swing speed to really take advantage of the consistent yardage gaps. 

I think this would be a great idea for beginners to groove a swing.

Being that these irons are all the same length, what length would it be? I hit my 8 iron the best, so what would happen if I had all the clubs at my 8 iron length, would they still fly the same distances as my normal length irons.

That's the idea. You should see constant gapping with these irons according to Wishon. That assumes they were fit to you by a Wishon fitter, which means they fit every club according to their 12 points of fit. I haven't gone through it, but Plaid Jacket has. This is in contrast to OEM fittings which fit your 6 or 7 and then order all the shafts from their. The Wishon fitting is more expensive but obviously much more in depth. Just google Wishon and you can read all about the logic behind it.

I have read a few reviews that say looking dow an the PW or SW, it looks like the ball will hit you in the face because the club face is so lofted. Would love to try them.

I haven't tried it, but it seems logical to me. The first "1 Iron" ad I saw on a golf site intrigued me enough to look into this a few years ago. B dC has certainly given the concept a shot in the arm.

Now Cobra has got on board it may take off a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

The blog article was very interesting and who wouldn't want more consistent strikes on their irons. I'm looking forward to trying these out.

I'm seriously considering picking up a set just for the hell of it. My irons have always been the weakest part of my game.

I'm seriously considering picking up a set just for the hell of it. My irons have always been the weakest part of my game.

They're not available in lefty

I'm really interested in the concept and love the look of these. Consistency with my irons is the major flaw in my game and, though I hesitate to think that these would be the sole answer, I feel that they could be a big big help for me

They're not available in lefty

1476335065642.jpgCobra confirmed lefty clubs

Sent from my sizzling Samsung Galaxy Note 7