Our Sponsors

Just realized I've been playing the last two months with only 13 clubs. Dropped my 3W for a 5W and my 4 iron for a 4H. So now I only have one hybrid instead of two. 5-PW then 50, 54, 58 and putter obviously although my wedge putting is arguably better than my traditional putting.

My handicap as of today is at an all time low of 8.8. While the evidence suggests that I don't need a 14th club, I can't help feeling like I'm leaving something on the table.

At my course, from the tips (6900 yards), I'm not usually hitting more than a 7 iron into a green unless I really butcher a tee shot. There are only 3 par 5s. Two aren't usually worth the risk of going for in two. I'll lay up to 100-125 and try to make birdie from there. The third one is usually not more than a hybrid or long iron in if I'm in the fairway.

I'm not sure what, if anything, I would add. The only thing I'm considering right now is possibly a mini driver. My course is old school - tight, tree-lined, water hazards. Lots of trouble off the tee. I don't typically take penalties off the tee but with the club championship coming up in August I need to think more about playing from the tips. There are 4 holes where driver isn't the play but 5W leaves me with a 6 or 7 iron in. I also think I'd be more comfortable with something with a slightly bigger face off the tee. I'm also thinking it could be a good alternative to driver when I'm playing from the forward tees like we have to in league and most other club events.

So I'm calling on you guys for advice. Is it worth picking up a mini driver to try out, or maybe a different club altogether? Or just stop being an idiot and leave well enough alone. I have thick skin and I appreciate honesty.

As always, love you guys and appreciate your time and feedback.

Disclaimer: Bird dog whiskey and the bay may have influenced this post.

• Like 1

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Bro I dunno how your surviving on 13. I spend many a minute trying decide what my 14th club is. I wish I could have 17 haha

Edit: I also like mini drivers and 1 irons. So I'm not opposed to a specialty club.

• Like 1

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Bro I dunno how your surviving on 13. I spend many a minute trying decide what my 14th club is. I wish I could have 17 haha

Edit: I also like mini drivers and 1 irons. So I'm not opposed to a specialty club.

I do have the 64° PM grind and it's fun but I can get myself into to much trouble with it. I already have 4 wedges which is more than enough given my lack of practice time lately. Other than that I can't see what else would be worthwhile. The SLDR and Aeroburner minis seem to be a reasonably priced experiment. Just not sure whether I would go 12° or 14°. Not concerned with gaps since I'd only be using it off the tee.
  • Like 1

I do have the 64° PM grind and it's fun but I can get myself into to much trouble with it. I already have 4 wedges which is more than enough given my lack of practice time lately. Other than that I can't see what else would be worthwhile. The SLDR and Aeroburner minis seem to be a reasonably priced experiment. Just not sure whether I would go 12° or 14°. Not concerned with gaps since I'd only be using it off the tee.

I can do the same stuff with a 60* as I do a 64* with less negative consequences. So I'd prefer another specialty club at the top end if this is the situation. I went 12* and wouldn't ever regret it. The mini drivers spin a lot and launch at a normal 3 wood height. Thus I ended up with a 94g shaft in it to keep from hitting absolute moon balls. Bc the stock 77g shaft didn't do that. If its me the low loft wouldn't worry me bc it's gonna spin plenty and get up in the air.

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

From what you have stated the 13 clubs seem to work for you. Heck it is a funny game but I say if it is working for you then stay that way. Heck I know guys that play less clubs than that and shoot around par or better. I know one guy at my club retired in his 70s that carries only 10 clubs of so hits all hybrids except the driver, a Trusty Rusty 56 and putter. Now he plays every day weather permitting and can utitilize those hybrids like no one I have ever seen. He shoots his age a lot ( I think he is 73 to be exact) from the gold senior tees. I have personally been playing with him at least 3 times he has done it. I would say he is an average putter because he knocks the ball in general so close with those funky hybrids the putt is a no brainer. If you saw his bag with all the little head covers you would think what a hybrid hack but one would be wrong on that. I will state again play what works for you

• Like 2

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

I would say they work on the course you regularly play. That doesn't mean they are the ideal set up for when you go elsewhere. In your shoes I'd have a mini driver and then take it out for a lifted wedge when I went to play elsewhere.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I carry 14 clubs.  I could probably drop my 3wood out as I rarely ever hit it.  I trust my driver and the next club I would use off the tee most times would be my 3hybrid.  

Sounds like we have a similar game.  Driver, 3H for me as well.  I had a 4W in the bag early this year, and it was fine when I hit it well.  Unfortunately, it wasn't often enough.  However, I always use the driver off the tee; I only use the 3H on one 200 yard par 3.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Think I've decided on a mini driver. Keeping an eye out for a deal on a mini SLDR.

• Like 1

I'm all about the mini driver.  I use it more often than I originally thought I would.  The Tmag versions can be had for around 100 new.  Imo pretty cheap for such a versatile club. 

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

Based on how I'm currently playing I'm seeing myself in this same boat soon.  I'm creaming the SLDR 3HL off the turf (I actually haven't tried it off of a tee even on the driving range) - I do have a gap between my 53 and 60 degree wedge that could be bridged by strengthening the 53 to 52 and dropping in a 56 - however I'm very happy with my short game and don't see the need at this point - I can hit the 53 from 90 to 70 very comfortably at this point and have little trouble using the 48 from 90-110 using the same method.  I can stretch the 60 to 70 yards if need be - all three of those wedges have clearly defined roles and shot types around the green - it would just add confusion to add another wedge. 

At the top end right now I have 4 hybrid, 3 HL and 3 W - I have the 3 W in to hit it off the tee and off the tee only - why not use a mini instead - it will be easier to hit.  I hit a big draw with the 3 W which means it doesn't work so well if there is anything over hanging on the right hand side. 

Best that I can tell I hit the 4 hybrid 185 and the 3 HL 205 so that's a bit of a gap.  I need to try that 3 HL off of a tee tomorrow. 

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

• SPY VIP

Like others, I'd think you could benefit from some specialty club - Also, it's easy to fall in to the trap of looking just at your home course. One idea is to go play 5-10 other courses and see which shots come up most often...

Like others, I'd think you could benefit from some specialty club - Also, it's easy to fall in to the trap of looking just at your home course. One idea is to go play 5-10 other courses and see which shots come up most often...

I play 90% of my rounds at my club. Outside of that I play maybe once a month at one of two other local courses. I don't have any gaps from 5W down through my wedges. Hoping the mini driver can be my go to club when I don't want to hit driver but want a little more than 5 wood off the tee. The bigger head should be a bit easier to hit than a traditional 3W. I'm hoping I can also use it for the occasional punch shot out of the trees like I use to use my 3W.

Basically I'm just trying to justify my purchase to myself lol.

• Like 1

• SPY VIP

I play 90% of my rounds at my club. Outside of that I play maybe once a month at one of two other local courses. I don't have any gaps from 5W down through my wedges. Hoping the mini driver can be my go to club when I don't want to hit driver but want a little more than 5 wood off the tee. The bigger head should be a bit easier to hit than a traditional 3W. I'm hoping I can also use it for the occasional punch shot out of the trees like I use to use my 3W.

Basically I'm just trying to justify my purchase to myself lol.

Justification may be the most underrated skill in purchasing equipment!

Really like the mini-driver idea - especially if it's going to be 98% off the tee and 2% out of trees :)

• Like 1

I grew up playing Driver, 3W, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i and Putter........So I was okay for many years, then I received new clubs from my Grandfather for High School Graduation and filled out my bag.  In the early 80's I won a Sand Wedge in a tournament(Wilson R90)..  

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I only carry 13 clubs. 4i-Pw then 52,56,60 wedges - Driver, 4w, and putter. This setup works just about anywhere I play as long as the yardage is not over about 6600.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Curious.

Are you playing to 8.8 from tips currently?

What is distance for your 7 iron, not counting roll?

Like Stu, I probably wouldn't change set up. Saying that though if the course conditions changed (dry to wet etc) then I'd add your 3w back to your bag to account for it.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Curious.

Are you playing to 8.8 from tips currently?

What is distance for your 7 iron, not counting roll?

Like Stu, I probably wouldn't change set up. Saying that though if the course conditions changed (dry to wet etc) then I'd add your 3w back to your bag to account for it.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

8.8 is my index. Course handicap is 10 from the tips. I typically score the same regardless of the tees. 7 iron carry is 170.

I find that I don't need 3W off the deck plus it's not a high percentage shot for me. So mainly I'm looking for the extra confidence from the larger head of the mini driver as strictly a fairway finding club and for when driver distance brings trouble into play.

I like your choice of the mini driver too!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

8.8 is my index. Course handicap is 10 from the tips. I typically score the same regardless of the tees. 7 iron carry is 170.

I find that I don't need 3W off the deck plus it's not a high percentage shot for me. So mainly I'm looking for the extra confidence from the larger head of the mini driver as strictly a fairway finding club and for when driver distance brings trouble into play.

I like your choice of the mini driver too!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yup, makes since to me to lol

Good luck with it.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons