What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

So the plan of attack yesterday was Approach game then Short Game scenarios followed by Putting Drills. These were the drills (ALL DRILLS ARE 5 Balls each club):

Warm-Up:
Towel Drill w/7 iron
Full 9-5 iron (Order 9,5,8,6,7)

Approach Game (Club Circuit): Order = PW, 5. 9, 6, 8, 7
Full shots (preferred lie i.e fairway on par 5 or long par 4)
Waist high shots ( rough / in-between clubs)
Punch-Outs (missed fairway)

Short Game (each scenario before moving to next): 58, 54, 50
Bunker
Short sided  (target 2-4 feet)
Pitch (target 5-10 feet)

Putting Drills:
Clock Drill out to 10 ft
Lag Putting
Devil Ball

As I am starting to get back into the weekend golf group grind, I wanted to focus on the aftermath of my tee shots and into and onto the green. I have played 3 rounds so far this year and have noticed I am struggling a little with the simple things.... contact and making the smart play. After working the second shot, i wanted to focus on what can happen if i miss the green. I tend to play well out of the bunker but want to refresh the brain on the feel. You can also never go wrong with practicing short sided misses and long chips across the green that roll out.

To finish up, I practice the worst part of my game and the primary thing I plan to improve this year. PUTTING.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

I have gone thru this recently. I had to go back to basics and tempo and it was amazing at how quickly it went away. 

I think for this evening's practice session I am going to remove the ball, place a couple tees into my mat and try to swing through the gate without clipping the outer tee. Start with 1/4, then 1/2, 3/4 and full swings to see if I can do that effectively. I also have gone back and watched some video from a really good ball striking session I had in February and compared it to a recent day with the shank-pocalypse and have noted a couple small differences in my take away and transition move, so will try to work on some of those feels.

It's so dang frustrating because I KNOW I can hit the ball well lol, it's on video! Just have to get back to it and gonna do whatever it is I need to in order to do so. Thankfully, it's April 16th and not mid summer!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

I think for this evening's practice session I am going to remove the ball, place a couple tees into my mat and try to swing through the gate without clipping the outer tee. Start with 1/4, then 1/2, 3/4 and full swings to see if I can do that effectively. I also have gone back and watched some video from a really good ball striking session I had in February and compared it to a recent day with the shank-pocalypse and have noted a couple small differences in my take away and transition move, so will try to work on some of those feels.

It's so dang frustrating because I KNOW I can hit the ball well lol, it's on video! Just have to get back to it and gonna do whatever it is I need to in order to do so. Thankfully, it's April 16th and not mid summer!

I know the frustration all too well. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I've been staying at a hotel in Raleigh frequently for the last year, but only yesterday did I discover that there is a putting green tucked in behind the hotel swimming pool. So I'm debating whether to go hit balls after work, or just do some putting and then work out in the hotel gym. I might do all three.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

45 minutes ago, OJ_Mango said:

So the plan of attack yesterday was Approach game then Short Game scenarios followed by Putting Drills. These were the drills (ALL DRILLS ARE 5 Balls each club):

Warm-Up:
Towel Drill w/7 iron
Full 9-5 iron (Order 9,5,8,6,7)

Approach Game (Club Circuit): Order = PW, 5. 9, 6, 8, 7
Full shots (preferred lie i.e fairway on par 5 or long par 4)
Waist high shots ( rough / in-between clubs)
Punch-Outs (missed fairway)

Short Game (each scenario before moving to next): 58, 54, 50
Bunker
Short sided  (target 2-4 feet)
Pitch (target 5-10 feet)

Putting Drills:
Clock Drill out to 10 ft
Lag Putting
Devil Ball

As I am starting to get back into the weekend golf group grind, I wanted to focus on the aftermath of my tee shots and into and onto the green. I have played 3 rounds so far this year and have noticed I am struggling a little with the simple things.... contact and making the smart play. After working the second shot, i wanted to focus on what can happen if i miss the green. I tend to play well out of the bunker but want to refresh the brain on the feel. You can also never go wrong with practicing short sided misses and long chips across the green that roll out.

To finish up, I practice the worst part of my game and the primary thing I plan to improve this year. PUTTING.

Thoughts?

I've been practicing a lot of the same. A simply thought/feel for shallowing it to point the butt end of the club inside the ball/tee on takeaway and then shallow to point slightly outside of the ball on my downswing. It's one of those things I knew but forgot and was causing a lot of mis-hits and off balance finishes. It's so much easier than trying to get into positions. I had just felt lost for too long and I'm never going to say "I fixed it" but it really helped me a lot to where I feel like I can golf again.

I have a putting and chipping green in my neighborhood and practice there. Love to have fun with straightforward chips with my 50 and hit higher, 30 yard shots with my 54. Then, I'll test myself from tight, short-sided lies with the 54/58. Focusing on releasing the club in sync with my hip turn has helped a lot.

SIM2 MAX D w/Diamana S 60

SIM2 MAX5 Wood FW S-6

SIM MAX 3&4 hybrids w/Ventus Blue FW-7

Ping i230 5-PW w/DG 105g

TaylorMade MG3 50/54/58 wedges w/DG S200

Cleveland HB SOFT 4 putter

Putting practice today at the NKGC practice green, in which they finally cut holes, as opposed to having flags only, making for better practice.  The object today was to compare my gamer (counterweighted original 2-Ball) with the Argolf Pendragon XL broomstick which I am testing, as well as getting some practice on short and long putting.

Today's training session involved (i) setting 5-tees around a hole at 3', today's 1-putt circle, and putting twice around the circle (goal is make 9/10 putts) followed by (ii) lag putting from 15' to 30', today's 2-putt circle, (goal of getting 6/10 anywhere in the 3' radius circle around the hole). 

With my gamer I was a mediocre 6/10 from the 1-putt circle and 5/10 from the 2-putt circle, whereas with the Pendragon XL I was 9/10 from the 1-putt circle and 4/10 from the 2-putt circle. Today was my first opportunity to putt with the Pendragon on grass and my first ever putts ever with it from longer than 6'. I was extremely pleased with the short putt results and not too disappointed with the lag putt results in view of my lack of experience with the broomstick method on grass and the fact that 3 of the 10 putts missed being in the circle by 1-3"! 

Because I made the "1-putt circle" goal with the Pendragon, the next time I do this drill, I'll move to 4'.  

Edited by BobBC78

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

Was able to get about an hour in at the range today. Sole focus was on ball position, variety of clubs, mostly irons. Have been simply pulling the pull, dead straight pull. Sure enough ball was getting too far forward. Made sure I intentionally put the ball in the middle/back of stance. Ball direction more consistently heading in the proper direction. Was a good session.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | H2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 21* | B1 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9X

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

2 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

So I'm debating whether to go hit balls after work, or just do some putting and then work out in the hotel gym. I might do all three.

Went to the range, every bay was full and I didn't feel like standing out there in 87-degree heat waiting for a spot to clear eventually. So I left, went and got some dinner, then tried out the hotel putting green. It's about a 15 on the stimp and breaks HARD toward the parking lot. Didn't feel like I was accomplishing much, so stopped after about 10 minutes. Still plan to work out later.

Fit For Golf tester 2024

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

20240416_171237.jpg.a074334311b77a5e558ff43cd33f8bf9.jpg

Who needs foot spray when you have old range balls 😆

Haha but all of these did stay inside the right side fence, tho a few would have been in trouble on the course.

But, as always - work in progress!!

Geez that looks like an awfully narrow driving range. But at least it’s good practice for the course.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

9 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Geez that looks like an awfully narrow driving range. But at least it’s good practice for the course.

@cksurfdude Chuck is just showing off before Kingsmill.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Had a great day of practice today! Was able to get home to the home "range" and work the 8i, 9i and PW for about an hour. Nice solid striking, was able to get some video to scrutinize which I'll review tonight. Went back to work and had a driver lesson at 1600 hours. Happily, the pro gave me a general thumbs up: gave me several things to work on: loosen my grip (I seem to have this propensity to give an 8 of 10 grip with my right hand... that's about to cease!) Once I had a more "loose" grip, my backswing got longer, my swing got a little more shallowed ( I also seem to have a propensity to steepen the angle of the club coming back to the ball) and lo and behold: straighter flight and further ball travel. Amazing. Now.... can I duplicate it over and over! That remains to be seen, but I have to say, great lesson, the input from the pro was incredible. Like the pro said: small adjustments at a time, don't overload yourself with too much at a time! After the driver lesson, walked up to the putting green, measured out 3ft, 5ft and 7ft, putted from those distances and created a spreadsheet to start keeping data on my Spider! The weather was incredible, mid 70's, light breeze... overall a great day of practice! 

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                   3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                   Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand: Wilson.gif.7c4c0af3500daff148cdd38ec0dbe7ab.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                       Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider / Tester:  image.png.b7573f2e65bd0b7d6e014f5a8fa57579.png DF3

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                           Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

Day 93 (16 Apr 24) - Worked with the Edel SMS 7i today in lieu of the SLDR 7i.  Just got the Edel back from their shop to have a couple of adjustments done.  Would up switching the toe weight to 4g and the center weight to 6g keeping the heel at 2g.  Before sending it off it was 6 (toe) - 4 (mid) - 2 (heel).  Enjoying this iron more than ever...after settling the iron down, focused on setup and rehearsing swing.   Plan is for tomorrow to get in some decent range time as I have a free "any size" bucket of range balls I won at a local course waiting for me.    

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Hit the range before our rounds today. Top.tracer was down, so eyeballing distances with 10' target signs was easy.

Hot about 60 balls total.

Was able sort of figure out why I wasn't getting any height out of my 6, 7, 8i. So I moved the ball to the rear half of my stance and EUREKA! 50-70' apex, consistently. Also hit the 8i over 140y 4 times. (Usually my 7i distance) 

Granted this was all off mats, slightly elevated off the range by 12 feet. 

Most of the practice did translate to the course though, so i was happy with that.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

3 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

Still plan to work out later.

Got in two cycles of my pre-Fit For Golf workout, with the addition of an exercise I will be doing in FFG -- explosive pushups (they call it a ballistic pushup). I actually did a version of those as a teenager, so they weren't unfamiliar. This version is put your hands on a bench, chairs or plyo box, and your feet on the floor, and when you do the pushup, do them with enough force that your hands leave the bench. When I was a kid, we didn't use a bench, but we had to use enough force so that we had time to clap our hands before gravity brought us back down.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Fit For Golf tester 2024

Went to the range with my Garmin R10 to dial in the wedge game. Got a large bag of range balls and went to work. Hit 15-20 with each of my 50-54-58 wedges. Split up the shots evenly between 1/2, 3/4 and full swings. Trying to get those carry distances dialed in so I can lower scores on those shorter shots into the green. It was a really good day. The range was packed, the sun was out and the baby draws were flying high. I love going to our range and seeing all the junior clinics they put on. There had to be close to 40 youngsters on the green/chipping area and on the range. It’s awesome to see. 

Ai Smoke Max 10.5* |  Ventus TR Blue 7x

HL 16.5* |  Speeder NX Green 6s

Apex UW 19* |  Ventus TR Red 6s

ZX7 Mk ii 4-PW |  NS Modus Pro 3 Tour 120x

MG4 50-54-58 |  NS Modus Pro 3 Tour 120s

Edel EAS 1.5/ Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

Spent a few hours at Raven Crest GC today. Opened with a session on the range then followed up with chipping and putting. Weather was fairly windy so there was a fair bit of dust kicking around but overall, it was just nice to be outside. Hoping to play a round at some point next week to kick the season off properly🤞

IMG_2187.JPG

WIMB...

Driver - TaylorMade M3 440
3W - TaylorMade M3
56º - TaylorMade RAC 12 Bounce
52º - TaylorMade RAC Satin
Irons (3-PW) - Callaway Big Bertha
Putter - TaylorMade TP Collection Del Monte 1
Balls - Titleist: Pro V1X, TruFeel, DT Solo 
Glove - Nike Tech Extreme

🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️

Continuing the theme of this being short game week, today was chipping practice in the yard with my 3 primary chipping clubs: 42* Smart Sole "C" and 50* and 58* CBX4s. I set a "target" (my shag bag) at 5-yards and worked on carrying the ball to that distance, using the same body-driven, no hands swing with each club. What is interesting, to me at least, is that a swing of approximately 7:00 to 5:00 with each of these clubs results in the same 5-yard +/- carry. 

Until my home course allows chipping to the practice green so I can determine the exact rollout, working on carry will have to do. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

I played a full 18 with my friend today n he helped fix my grip n swing and I shot a 131 today, gettin better and i only lost 3 balls to the ole water holes today and saw 2 big gators and a baby one lol prolly gonna try and play again this weekend

IMG_3169.jpeg

Jefferey Ingram

Walked 18 holes this morning, I hadn't played since last Thursday. Hit a few balls over the weekend. 
Worked specifically on a couple of things.  

• In anticipation of new irons, I reset the 3 & 4 Rescue clubs.  Setting 3 rescue to 18 degree from 19 degrees & the 4 rescue setting to 21 degrees from 22 degrees.  The results weren't bad.  Had one 3 rescue off the tee that was a poor drive.  Too much movement during swing.  
  • The 4 rescue was hit well and long with baby draws. I reached a par 5 in 2.  The drive was about 290yds leaving 197 yards to the hole, a bit uphill.  I choked down on the 4 rescue & hit a nice shot ending up about 14 feet from hole.  (Missed the eagle putt)
  • Specifically worked on takeaway and making sure for the first 7-8 inches my hands stay quiet allowing my shoulders to start the swing along the toe line & making sure the club comes up vs going out too long & too low.  

Had a couple of memory lapses during the round on tee shots, specifically with the irons. One led to a double bogey, hitting the tee shot OB on a par 3, which is a rarity. Honestly, it was a poor setup, which led to a poor swing causing me slide instead of turning and get ahead of the shot.  However, it did wake me up for the rest of the round. 

Playing again tomorrow at 7am, will be working on the same things, especially patience & tempo.  

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

23 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Partly the phone cam lens .. at the end of the tall fences, maybe about 205ish yds, it's about 50 yds across .. so yeah very good trying to hit "fairways" practice!

22 hours ago, Kenny B said:

@cksurfdude Chuck is just showing off before Kingsmill.  🤣

hah! HAHA!! ..we'll see what happens when we get there, but I appreciate the vote of confidence! 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

In building off my last post in the thread, I had the BEST practice session I have had in recent weeks last night in regards to my case of the shanks. To that point, I think I had been taking the wrong approach. I was just trying to "fix" my swing by trying to work through it, with no real intent or drills that actually helped me. You live and you learn!

I saw a drill posted on IG from Justin Kraft, who is a teaching professional in the Minneapolis area. I really like his delivery style for instruction, and as a visual learner, being able to see someone not only perform a drill, but see it repeatedly (thanks social media!), helps me a lot. 

The drill is quite simple in matter of fact terms. You set your club down on the mat/ground, place a tee outside the toe and inside the heel, and then try to swing through the gate without hitting the tees. I started without a ball and with 1/2 swings and shorter, and it honestly took me quite a good amount of time to get to the point where I wasn't wiping out the outside tee. I made it a point to get "through the gate" 10 times in a row before introducing a ball to the drill. It was probably 15 minutes before I accomplished that, but it allowed me to start to feel the difference between a swing that didn't clip the tee and one that did. The biggest thing I noticed feel wise was that when my arms felt connected to my upper body, mainly my trail arm feeling connected to my ribcage, I was getting through cleanly. If I didn't have that feel, I clipped the tee. 

After introducing the ball, I immediately hit the outer tee, and went right back to no ball to work on the feel again. I was eventually able to make solid contact with the ball and not the tees, then took the ball away and worked more towards a full ROM swing. I never felt like I actually took a full speed swing, but it's far too early for that IMO. set my goal of at least 7/10 swings without hitting the tee in full ROM, then introduced the ball and worked through the same progressions. By the end of my practice session, I was able to make flush contact and made a point to finish on two consecutive flushed shots, which I did. 

Hoping to get another practice session in again tonight, but we will see how the evening goes. If not tonight, tomorrow for sure. Really, REALLY happy to finally feel like I've taken a step in the right direction, and this drill is now going to be a mainstay for me every time I practice at home and on the range. Including a photo of my ball striking at one point during the evening just because it felt darn good to make some consistent impact. Clearly still enough room for improvement, but so much better than it has been and I am proud of that.

IMG_2622.jpeg

It's good to hear you got your contact issues figured out, Jason. There's nothing worse than hitting hosel rockets. 

41 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

It's good to hear you got your contact issues figured out, Jason. There's nothing worse than hitting hosel rockets. 

Thanks, Jason! Was good to just feel some good strikes and some progress. Gonna make it a regular routine thing to keep me in check and hopefully it’ll lead to more consistent good ball striking 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

In building off my last post in the thread, I had the BEST practice session I have had in recent weeks last night in regards to my case of the shanks. To that point, I think I had been taking the wrong approach. I was just trying to "fix" my swing by trying to work through it, with no real intent or drills that actually helped me. You live and you learn!

I saw a drill posted on IG from Justin Kraft, who is a teaching professional in the Minneapolis area. I really like his delivery style for instruction, and as a visual learner, being able to see someone not only perform a drill, but see it repeatedly (thanks social media!), helps me a lot. 

The drill is quite simple in matter of fact terms. You set your club down on the mat/ground, place a tee outside the toe and inside the heel, and then try to swing through the gate without hitting the tees. I started without a ball and with 1/2 swings and shorter, and it honestly took me quite a good amount of time to get to the point where I wasn't wiping out the outside tee. I made it a point to get "through the gate" 10 times in a row before introducing a ball to the drill. It was probably 15 minutes before I accomplished that, but it allowed me to start to feel the difference between a swing that didn't clip the tee and one that did. The biggest thing I noticed feel wise was that when my arms felt connected to my upper body, mainly my trail arm feeling connected to my ribcage, I was getting through cleanly. If I didn't have that feel, I clipped the tee. 

After introducing the ball, I immediately hit the outer tee, and went right back to no ball to work on the feel again. I was eventually able to make solid contact with the ball and not the tees, then took the ball away and worked more towards a full ROM swing. I never felt like I actually took a full speed swing, but it's far too early for that IMO. set my goal of at least 7/10 swings without hitting the tee in full ROM, then introduced the ball and worked through the same progressions. By the end of my practice session, I was able to make flush contact and made a point to finish on two consecutive flushed shots, which I did. 

Hoping to get another practice session in again tonight, but we will see how the evening goes. If not tonight, tomorrow for sure. Really, REALLY happy to finally feel like I've taken a step in the right direction, and this drill is now going to be a mainstay for me every time I practice at home and on the range. Including a photo of my ball striking at one point during the evening just because it felt darn good to make some consistent impact. Clearly still enough room for improvement, but so much better than it has been and I am proud of that.

IMG_2622.jpeg

Love it!  I have done that a time or two as well as a towel right behind the ball drill when I'm chunky. The towel drill has worked wonders for me hitting ball first.  No one wants a small towel flying around on the range. Haha. 

Well done man!  Glad you are making some progress. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter