Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

1 hour ago, William P said:

Great round @Erin B! Do us all a favor and keep that wind up there in your hip pocket... 🤣

you know what they say, Utah blows and Nebraska sucks, Wyoming is stuck in the middle.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each round. 

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/stiff stock shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

Titleist PT 17 Medal Wood w/steel shaft

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

Callaway Chrome Tour X

24 minutes ago, Erin B said:

you know what they say, Utah blows and Nebraska sucks, Wyoming is stuck in the middle.

They said the same thing about Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia  too!  😆 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

My practice recently is strength training and swinging my hybrid trying to facilitate a LATE release, listening to the Wishon utube videos and others that will help with more distance as I've always been a early release guy 😔 plus today I cut a baker's dozen branches and cut them to 2 feet lengths.... Lunch with a mate 😜 tomorrow 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

8 hours ago, Rob Person said:

They said the same thing about Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia  too!  😆 

👀👀👀

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

This seems to be an old topic, but, here are a couple of things I am practicing for the new season.

1. The "keep the head down thing" - it's really the shoulders right? Anyway, I have a mantra for this which is "keep your head behind the ball, and see the club head strike the ball"

2, My second major thing this year is to prevent coming over the top. What is working for me is something I saw on the web and is all about letting the hands fall at the start of the backswing as if you are trying to put them in your right hand side trouser pocket - if you are a righty obviously. 

Keep up the practice!

Driver - Mizuno ST200

3 and 5 Woods - Titleist TSR2

3 Hybrid - Titleist TSR2

Irons - PING G410

Putter - Odyssey TEN

28 minutes ago, BigPee said:

This seems to be an old topic, but, here are a couple of things I am practicing for the new season.

1. The "keep the head down thing" - it's really the shoulders right? Anyway, I have a mantra for this which is "keep your head behind the ball, and see the club head strike the ball"

2, My second major thing this year is to prevent coming over the top. What is working for me is something I saw on the web and is all about letting the hands fall at the start of the backswing as if you are trying to put them in your right hand side trouser pocket - if you are a righty obviously. 

Keep up the practice!

Welcome to the site !! 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Range, chipping, and putting routine. About three times a week after dropping the kiddos off at school, I get in around 1-1:15hr before work. Yes, owning your own business has perks...9:30 start time. Start with the Range session, which is mainly wedges and then work my way up to driver. Finally play three to four "holes" and then head to the chipping green. For chipping, I hit 10 shots with 4-5 different clubs to try and make sure I'm working on different types of chips. Then I head over to the putting green to do around 9-18 "holes with each one being a par 2. Goal is not to three putt. Also helps to live where there are 4 different courses within a 3mile radius of us. 

*This routine has helped me a TON in the past few weeks on the course. Pars and birdies seem much more attainable when I have confidence in all parts of my game. 

Former Long driver ‘02-‘04(Remax) turned Veterinarian, using the same ping eye-3’s for the last 20yrs because I have my distances dialed in. 

Ladder drill putting practice for me. Hoping to out to the course this week! 

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | H2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 21* | B1 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9X

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

On 4/3/2024 at 9:15 PM, Erin B said:

Learned that in the face of wind, get it in play.

There's an old saying .. "swing easy when it's breezy" 

14 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I’ll let you guys guess which is my favorite 😊

That is fantastic daddy-daughter time there!!!

OK so did actually get some range time today (chilly, breezy and wasn't feeling 100% but hey a golf dude's gotta do what a golf dude's gotta do 😆) .. focusing on irons - which have not been good so far this season, and wedges - which are pretty good on the range and then pretty lousy out on the course...

Irons focus was trying to release my hands/wrists more fully into/through impact. I've been a "hitter" of the ball with the irons and trying to migrate that to more of a real swing movement through the ball. Still all over the place...

Wedges focus PW, 54 and 60 .. was all on trajectory and distance control. Saw some good stuff here.

And a short putting session working mostly on lags / distance control.

But .. as always .. total work in progress!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

29 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Took my daughter to the range today for some work on the ping s159 test. Here’s my two favorite photos from today. I’ll let you guys guess which is my favorite 😊

IMG_3708.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

Yeah I have two daughters 36 & 28 and I remember those days well . Cherish them my friend because you will turn around one day and she ll be coming down the aisle😥

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Day 84 (06 Apr 24) - day full of other stuff (band rehearsal this morning, a couple of quick chores at church, furniture shopping with the missus)….managed to get in some Divot Board work with 7i, hard foam balls.  Really like the visual the DB gives and correlating resulting ball flight. A good late afternoon half hour session.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

17 minutes ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

Yeah I have two daughters 36 & 28 and I remember those days well . Cherish them my friend because you will turn around one day and she ll be coming down the aisle😥

Truer words never spoken. These days are magic and she has no idea that I’m having more fun watching than she is making good swings. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Nothing fancy. Just hitting balls into the net in the barn to keep loose. Was going to play Monday but figured it would be too dark during my normal playing times. I'll sneak out to the range instead.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

45 minutes ago, Willie T said:

Day 84 (06 Apr 24) - day full of other stuff (band rehearsal this morning, a couple of quick chores at church, furniture shopping with the missus)….managed to get in some Divot Board work with 7i, hard foam balls.  Really like the visual the DB gives and correlating resulting ball flight. A good late afternoon half hour session.  

I've always been curious about that.  Does Not being able to sweep under the ball cause you to clean pick more on the course? 

28 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

I've always been curious about that.  Does Not being able to sweep under the ball cause you to clean pick more on the course? 

I find that it promotes ball first focus - just like the video…the way the “fish scales” work, is they go to the white side (replicating the divot pattern) where the club makes contact.  Here’s a quick YouTube video that demos how it works…

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

47 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

After an uncharacteristic patch of warm weather up here, winter came back from the last few weeks. So today, with the temperature up near 50°, I took the opportunity to get into the garage to get in a bunch of practice.

I started like I normally do: setting up SkyTrak+ with random yardages, 25-100 yards. It's my favorite warmup, and keeps my wedge game as the best part of my game. Eventually, my 6-year old daughter joined me, and she's really developing a nice swing:

After she got in some swings, Kirke joined me for nine holes of a pitch and putt course. I finished the back nine (after he went to play basketball) on a tear, shooting nine under for nine holes (auto-putting, which obviously makes a huge difference).

I then did my Stack session for the day, which ended up being pretty meh. Just wasn't feeling it; dropped from a Stack speed of 110 and 108 in the past two sessions to 103. Probably should have called it at that point, but decided to try some driver (no ball) swings to see if I could find some speed. I did: this is Mevo+ recording my fastest ever swing with a driver:

PXL_20240406_211041670~2.jpg

The key feel I ended up finding: getting my hands much, much higher in the backswing.

Wrapped up my practice hitting some balls on the Mevo+, wanting to see if that backswing would translate to a normal golf swing. Took a few attempts to get everything together, but then hit one of the sweetest SW shots I've ever hit:

20240406_182148.jpg

The forecast around here is looking promising: highs around 50° for the foreseeable future. Really looking forward to getting in a bunch of practice the next few weeks before opening day up here.

I'm glad to see she's taking up the game, Michael! Her swing is looking good. 

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

Took my daughter to the range today for some work on the ping s159 test. Here’s my two favorite photos from today. I’ll let you guys guess which is my favorite 😊

IMG_3708.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

Awesome, love the photo!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Finally getting the 30-60 yard pitch shot down after a few lessons from my winter neighbor in Florida, Ed Wolfarth. I found in my first 10 rounds this year, it was costing me 5-6  strokes per round not having that shot to rely on. After the lessons and some practice time on very tight grass, I’m starting to get a better feel for a proper pitch. My 5 rounds since have been better, but it’s still a work very much in progress. Hopefully by late spring up north I’ll really see results since the lies are not nearly as tight. 

Stcymbol 

1 hour ago, gavinski91 said:

Had a really good range session this afternoon working on mid and long irons. Focus was on feeling shallowing out the club in transition, and really happy with the results. Was seeing 185 carry numbers consistently with the 6 iron, 205 with the 4 iron, and 220 with the 3 iron. 
IMG_1600.png.ea3478e9932ff3579a3c18759fe48058.png

P1 - happy with what I’m seeing here, just need to be aware that I struggle with consistently standing the correct distance from the ball on the course. 

IMG_1601.png.e898e5877ef02a1caae74425f58b0a62.png

P2 - good takeaway, I don’t usually have issues being inside here. 

IMG_1602.png.5d6f3aec47a99f1f8d5c292ab42d1b7f.png

P3 - looking and feeling pretty planted. 

IMG_1603.png.9c7f581c940d04c351e282dd01acde0c.png

P4 - happy to see that I’m pretty close to being right on the line. 

IMG_1604.png.e84ac20152a23c266256773ac3d54190.png

P5 - this is my favorite shot of them all. My biggest swing flaw when my game is off is coming way over the top, so for me this is a pretty much perfect P5. 

IMG_1606.png.4aad5157606309679aabbe1c85989f17.png

P6 - can tell that I’m coming out-to-in, but I’m ok with that as I like playing a fade. 

IMG_1607.png.211bca1bae07e288e5b8e3391eccdd1f.png

P7 - could maybe get a bit more hip turn here, but overall ok. 

IMG_1610.png.ea0fe026427e7e1c6c022b033bd2b2d6.png

P8 - happy with the forearm roll here. 

IMG_1608.png.58d06a4e0a4196c711bf0495ce5a9187.png

P9 - a little bit of a chicken wing here, something to work on next time. 

IMG_1609.png.7e8a64a6c1be3cd46953f5d203c5e324.png

P10 - arguably the most important of all (at least if you want to look good!)

Great swing visualization.  Any tips to getting to the p3 and p4 position you posted? 

38 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Great swing visualization.  Any tips to getting to the p3 and p4 position you posted? 

I’ll often force myself into that P3 position and hold it as part of my warmup with a wedge. Focus on getting width in my takeaway (putting a ball behind your clubhead and pushing it straight back is a good drill for that) and then pause for a second or more at that position (sometimes even look back at the club to double check) and then swing straight down, really focusing on making sure I’m shallowing the club head and getting a full hip turn.
Once I’ve done that a couple of times I’ll then go back to that position, but then keep my hips there and turn my shoulders further to feel the muscle tension in my back. I’ll bounce back and forth between those two positions as a dynamic stretch and after three or four bounces then pull into a slightly harder partial swing than what I did before, and repeat that process a few times as well. 
That basically rebuilds the muscle memory for me so I can extend it to a full swing. 

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS