Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

7 hours ago, Northern Monkey said:

This has also been my common practice mode of late. I have had one or two sessions on the putting green but mainly just played and tried to improve whilst on the course

The course is always a good place to work on the lies that you don't get at the range, but repetition of technique is harder because you are never hitting the same shot twice in a row. I often lament that I have to play more, but without any practice, playing just copies bad errors that could be fixed at the range. It's a difficult balance to achieve. If you only have time to play once a week, it's a shame to have to switch it out for range time. 

I often say that I have to play my way out of playing poorly. It doesn't work as well now that I'm a senior. It used to work quite well even into my 50's, but now I need to be on the range to work on tempo and ball striking.

GOLF, what a fickle game. When you've got it, you hang on for as long as you can. When you don't got it, you try desperately to get it back. 

THAT IS OUR QUEST!!

FORE!

Mike

Played this wonderful game for 53 years now. Still love it!

Callaway Guy

Rogue driver Reg shaft

Big Bertha 3 Metal

Callaway X-Hot Pro Hybrids 16 and 20 degree

Apex Pro Irons Graphite Shafts 4-A 

Callaway Mac Daddy 56 and 58 degree wedges 

Kayson Mallet 34" putter

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first 2"

I'll cheat and mention what I practiced yesterday.

First time swinging the clubs in 2024 (I live in Minnesota, and even though we had the mildest winter of my 48 years here, I work at a school = minimal golf opportunities until June).

So - range session yesterday evening - started with 50-yard sand wedge shots. Probably 50-60 of those, just trying to get a half-swing "9-to-3" dialed in. Never really got there; mostly lots of deep divots and fat contact. Swing felt disconnected, but I was mainly trying to work on key swing elements for me like backswing path, foot coordination/balance transfer, and leading with front hip/shoulder on the downswing.

Then took about 20-25 8-iron shots to finish. Really took my time on each shot, deep breath with eyes closed (while in position) before beginning the actual swing. Those went surprisingly well, almost all good flight and in about a 10-yard radius of the target. Felt good, but strange - because normally I can get my short game and partial swings dialed in quickly, but full swing and longer clubs take more work.

Every day's a new experience!

:titelist-small: 915 D3 driver, TS2 21° 3-Hy

:ping-small: :Arccos: G425 5-PW + LW

:adams-small: Idea a7 SW & GW

:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 putter

Full swing - S4I Drill 1 with a 5W, slow motion LH, RH then both hands, ten reps each

Chipping - Worked on distance control and technique today. Set targets at 5-yards and 10-yards, chipped with 58* (20 balls), 50* (20 balls) then "C" (10 balls) alternating between landing each ball on or near each target and half-way between them. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

Day 99 (22 Apr 24) - morning round at local course.  Another day focused on comparing the Mindset against a couple other balls I use from time to time.  Great day of focused routine and making sure ball striking was as consistent as possible…

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Good morning Spies! 
Was able to get home early from work yesterday and get in some iron work for about an hour and a half. My much better half was looking for me, and I was caught in the act: Caughtintheact.jpg.27b08ff2101980070da3000fa9fd99b2.jpg

Hoping to get home at lunch and back to the "home range" for some driver work: still having that little hitch where I seem to like steepening my downswing angle. Had a lesson last week that helped shallow it out quite a bit, but it is still a work in progress! I hope you all have golf in your day!! Hit 'em straight! 

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                              3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                              Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand: Wilson.gif.7c4c0af3500daff148cdd38ec0dbe7ab.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                                  Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                                     Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

Practice yesterday on the swing feels. Had to slow down my turn. My hips were firing way to fast. Pull Draws are not my friend and I hate watching my ball start left and go left when I was setting for a little cut.  

Easy drill: Grab an alignment stick and put in your belt loop and take some practice swings. If your hips are IN front of your hands, your hands and club will hit the stick. Be careful as it can rip some belt loops out if your going too fast. 

Edited by Chubbs1991

2 hours ago, Chubbs1991 said:

Practice yesterday on the swing feels. Had to slow down my turn. My hips were firing way to fast. Pull Draws are not my friend and I hate watching my ball start left and go left when I was setting for a little cut.  

Easy drill: Grab an alignment stick and put in your belt loop and take some practice swings. If your hips are IN front of your hands, your hands and club will hit the stick. Be careful as it can rip some belt loops out if your going too fast. 

Love the drill recommendation - thanks!

Lesson yesterday. Worked on the 9-to-3 swing with gap wedge, particularly drawing back along the target line with minimal initial hinge (think: "back" not "up"), then leading the downswing with the front hip and allowing the back foot to finish. My tendency is to leave the back foot on the ground through impact and then finish the body's rotation almost as an afterthought in the swing.

Then worked my way up the bag a bit: U-W-9, finishing with 9-iron shots at a 132-yard target.

Will try to remember to include some pictures/video next time!

Today I did about an hour at the NKGC practice green:

Putting with the Pendragon XL broomstick putter: Did the "star" drill with 5-tees set at 4' each around a hole (1-putt circle), went twice around going through my entire routine each on each putt and ended up sinking 6/10, with two of the misses lip outs. I'll stay at 4' until my makes are at least 8/10.

Using the tees set at 4' as a target, I then hit ten lag putts, again using my full routine, from 15' to 30' (2-putt circle), with the goal being to get into the 1-putt circle. On this test I got 8/10 within 4' of the hole. Next time I do this drill, I'll move out to 36'.

Chipping: I hit 10 chips of varying distances from the fringe of the practice green with the Smart Sole 4 C and CBX4 50* and 58* wedges. My goal was to get at least 6 of these chips within 4-yards of the hole; results were inside 4-yards 9/10 times so next time I go to 3-yards from the hole

Edited by BobBC78

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

Had a great range session this past weekend, also had the entire range of weather for the few hours I was there. It was raining, hailing, snowing, sunny and Cloudy! I mostly worked on my alignment. I found that training on a trackman throughout the winter was great, but completely threw off my alignment. Once I got out to the physical course my entire orientation was off. Im gaining back that confidence with alignment and aiming. 

IMG_3601.JPG

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - TENSEI AV Series White 65 Stiff

3wood: Taylormade Stealth - Ventus Blue Stiff 

Driving Iron: Ping Crossover 3iron - Ping Stiff 

Irons: 4-PW Titleist AP2 - Dynamic Gold S300 

Wedges: 52 Vokey SM6 (F Grind), 56 Vokey SM8 (D Grind), 60 Vokey SM9 (M grind)

Putter: Versa Odyssey Jailbird - Superstroke Pistol 1.0

Ball: Taylormade Distance+

While I waited to start my most wanted testing session today I grabbed a LAB DF3 and practiced putting for a little while.

Today was 5 iron day and I hit the ball okay.   Definitely need to work on my rhythm;  when I take my time with swing I hit it well and when I get a little quick shots were a little wild and tended to hit it fat.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I practiced 18 again.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

Day 100 (23 Apr 24) -  Played in monthly church men’s super ball 9 hole event - used a 9 club setup (driver, 5w, 3,5,7,9 irons, PW, SW, putter)…always makes for fun shot making when you’re in between clubs….fun day of course management (and better yet playing golf with my grandson!) 

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Good morning MGS Nation! Today will get to the home range at lunch to do some driver work. Was able to get home yesterday at lunch (was planning on doing driver work, but wanted to work my flatball drills.) Was able to get a decent video of the flatball striking sequence. I like these as it helps with better contact: they essentially make you hit more pure. They've helped me immensely with my iron striking! 

Then, league play this afternoon! 

I hope everyone has a great day and that golf figures into your Wednesday! Hit 'em straight MGS Nation! 

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                              3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                              Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand: Wilson.gif.7c4c0af3500daff148cdd38ec0dbe7ab.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                                  Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                                     Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

Yesterday, I practiced about 30 minutes with the putter, trying to get the ball through a narrow gate without touching the sides. That got pretty frustrating, as I kept opening or closing the face slightly. Finally got to a point where I felt good and confident with the stroke, and got several through clean.

Then, I went outside to work on my irons. As I've posted before, I am very focused on my iron play, particularly the takeaway and coming through with the feeling of swinging right. My first dozen or so were all okay to decent. Then, I had a breakthrough feel/thought and started striping the balls accurately. I also played on Sunday and hit the irons well, so things seem to be going in the right direction. Then, it will be on to short game stuff, where I am bleeding strokes.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

I worked on my chipping again yesterday. We have a domed green next to a 9-hole course that is free to practice. I start out with the 50 on an upslope and try to hit uphill and keep the ball under the hole. Then I move back about 10 feet to a flat area and go with the 54. Then I'll short side myself and try to get a 58 to go high and land soft. Probably one of the best practice sessions in a while. I moved onto putting and this green is in pretty poor condition despite being aerated, so I just worked on pace and keeping my hands a little higher. Holding my hands a little higher has really helped roll the ball end over end but it's been harder to get the pace right. Still, hard to say until I try this on a proper green.

SIM2 MAX D w/Ventus R-6

SIM MAX 3 Wood FW-6

SIM MAX 3&4 hybrids w/Ventus Blue FW-7

Ping i230 5-PW w/DG 105 S,

TaylorMade MG3 50/54/58 wedges w/DG S200

Cleveland HB SOFT 4 putter

Most wanted 7 iron day; hit a few bad shots but most were pretty good.   Swing felt good, path and face angle control was pretty good.   The long green ones were post testing where I tried swinging a bit harder.    League night tomorrow and I hope I hit the ball as well as I did today/

image.png.e5fe0ada7232e599b3921cc717b4ca78.png

Edited by cnosil

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Most wanted 7 iron day; hit a few bad shots but most were pretty good.   Swing felt good, path and face angle control was pretty good.   The long green ones were post testing where I tried swinging a bit harder.    League night tomorrow and I hope I hit the ball as well as I did today/

Good to see it all coming together for you.

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

2 hours ago, William P said:

Good to see it all coming together for you.

I think the 2 month forced break may actually end up being a good thing.   I am a little apprehensive to swing full out and as a result my swing is a little more in sync and I am hitting the ball better than I have in a while.   

33 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think the 2 month forced break may actually end up being a good thing.   I am a little apprehensive to swing full out and as a result my swing is a little more in sync and I am hitting the ball better than I have in a while.   

Any pain or issues with the swinging you’ve been doing so far?

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Day 101 (24 Apr 24) - Easy afternoon with the wedges in the backyard.  Worked on “not decelerating” thru down swing…

6 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Any pain or issues with the swinging you’ve been doing so far?

There has been some pain but not like prior to the surgery.   I think it is mostly the rotation is just pulling on the incision which creates some irritation.   

I only got half a practice round in today. We fell into some box seats for HOCKEY!!! Colorado Eagles game 1 of the playoffs!

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

I usually use the "tallest" rubber tee on the range and a similar tee height when I play. But today, pre-round, I decided to try a shorter rubber tee on the driving range and VIOLA, I was hitting nice, effortless draws and rarely fading it. I think I have been setting up with my head too far behind the ball, but need to try this more. It feels like it could be a game changer.

Edited by SDGolf619

SIM2 MAX D w/Ventus R-6

SIM MAX 3 Wood FW-6

SIM MAX 3&4 hybrids w/Ventus Blue FW-7

Ping i230 5-PW w/DG 105 S,

TaylorMade MG3 50/54/58 wedges w/DG S200

Cleveland HB SOFT 4 putter

Some speed training tonight. No program. No weights. Just a driver and the MLM. Smooth is fast, smooth is fast... Bested my PR by 1mph and it felt glorious. 112. The speed is not useful with a ball but I reckon getting comfortable with higher speeds will start to bleed over eventually.

Or not. Feels good to swing fast for the sake of speed alone.

I've found that my fastest swings all had a left foot lift in common. Weird.

B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

There has been some pain but not like prior to the surgery.   I think it is mostly the rotation is just pulling on the incision which creates some irritation.   

Good to hear it’s getting better!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

Is there anyone else here that's also in the Most Wanted group at HQ?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Just now, Rob Person said:

Is there anyone else here that's also in the Most Wanted group at HQ?

There could be some that are registered, but none that actually post other than myself.  

I've gone years without really practicing. My only practice was a few shots on the range before hitting the course to play, and that shows up in the deterioration of my game.

My solution was a little expensive, but it has shown great results so far. I purchased a Rapsodo launch monitor and created a "practice facility" in my garage. My first impression is...launch monitors are a game changer. The feedback is immediate, and the ability to adjust your process based on actual data cannot be matched.

One of the best things is that virtually all of the launch monitors are portable and can be used in or outdoors. 

If you can swing it, I highly recommend looking into the test results on Mygolfspy, and seeing if there is a monitor setup that fits your budget. 

20240424_073403.jpg

I’m working a tournament today and after they all get off , I’m going to go practice some iron shots off some of the vacant holes . Working on 3/4 shots  , draws and fades hopefully.

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS