Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Hype Doesn't Just Happen at Taylormade

Justin66

... it's at the parent company, adidas, as well. This is about the new NBA uni's debuting for 2010-11:

Designed and developed by adidas, the uniforms are 30 percent lighter and dry twice as fast as previous NBA uniforms to help enhance player performance by keeping athletes cooler, drier and more comfortable on the court. All 30 NBA teams will wear the new uniforms beginning this season. [...]

The new uniforms, which are made from 60 percent recycled materials, feature adidas' Formotion technology, which reduces seams, decreases friction between the garment and the player's skin and optimizes the player's natural movement through specially constructed material. adidas reduced uniform weight and increased player comfort by switching front and back numbers from heavier, dense materials to breathable mesh. The new uniform absorbs moisture in less than three seconds as a result of adidas CLIMACOOL fabrics, which move heat and sweat away from the body through a combination of moisture management materials, ventilation channels, and three-dimensional garments, helping the uniform dry twice as fast

My take? Save a few grams, sweat just a little less and the best just got better. Like a 46.25" driver will turn you into Bubba Watson, these uni's should make it possible for Kobe, D. Howard or Wade to break Wilt Chamberlain's single game scoring record... heck, even some middling journeyman has that chance now!

Now, I respect the 60% recycled stuff... but come on. The equipment is going to make the best of the best even better than they already are? That's like saying one type of material is "better" for clubheads. If that's true, there better be A LOT of records broken next year. As an aside, I have an "always cool" hat from adidas that makes my head more hot than cool... not fun when it was 90* or so.

Here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Every-NBA-team-getting-new-uniforms-for-2010-11-?urn=nba-271675

My take: You're blowing this a little out of proportion. They never said it will turn anyone into anyone else. They just simply said they are lighter and dry twice as fast, and "enhance player performance." It could be just me, but I took "enhance" to mean "well, slightly more endurance and comfort due to less sweat retention on the body" not "just take the 100 points per game, their yours with this new jersey."

I do, however, agree on the 60% recycled thing. Though I wonder why not 100%. I have a long sleeve waffle-style shirt from Under Armour that's 100% recycled and it wasn't overly expensive. The NBA makes a killing on officially licensed jerseys as it is, they could even raise the price if they made it 100% recycled.

My take: You're blowing this a little out of proportion. They never said it will turn anyone into anyone else. They just simply said they are lighter and dry twice as fast, and "enhance player performance." It could be just me, but I took "enhance" to mean "well, slightly more endurance and comfort due to less sweat retention on the body" not "just take the 100 points per game, their yours with this new jersey."

I do, however, agree on the 60% recycled thing. Though I wonder why not 100%. I have a long sleeve waffle-style shirt from Under Armour that's 100% recycled and it wasn't overly expensive. The NBA makes a killing on officially licensed jerseys as it is, they could even raise the price if they made it 100% recycled.

I wouldn't say "blowing out of proportion"... was going for more "tongue in cheek", since they're the same company. The hat thing, though... that was serious. "Always cool" my butt...

Archived