Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Putter Tech, Most Wanted Testing - personal vs group performance

cnosil

I'm sorry that I missed the meat of this discussion but enjoyed the read.

I'm convinced that there are tons of strokes to be gained through proper putter fitting and if I were to rank how to improve at putting it would be practice and fitting over tech. The wise player has all three.

Oh and who cares what putter the pros are gaming. Are you a pro or do you have a legitimate shot at becoming one? That's .01 percent of the golfing population.

The real question is what putter gives you the best chance to reduce three putts and hole putts inside of ten feet more frequently. That's the one you want to use.

More than likely knowing what equipment is in the average touring pro's bag tells you exactly what equipment you shouldn't bother looking at. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm sorry that I missed the meat of this discussion but enjoyed the read.

I'm convinced that there are tons of strokes to be gained through proper putter fitting and if I were to rank how to improve at putting it would be practice and fitting over tech. The wise player has all three.

Welcome to the discussion.

I agree with you assessment on how to improve putting skills. The bigger question is what does a proper fitting entail? Things like puttlab can tell you about your stoke, but what is the algorithm it uses to determine the proper putter? Do you fit a player to the putter or the putter to a player? Is there a right and wrong way to putt?

In my kind it is like any other club, is measuring to a theoretical perfect really the right thing to do?

Let's look at Rory at Bay Hill. Based on som assessments I have read, he went back to a putter that fits his stroke tendencies and went away from trying to achieve the perfect stroke. Best he has putter in a long time. Basically it best to not fight the tendencies that will come out when under pressure.

During Most Wanted Putter testing we were informed on how we were supposed to putt with some putters. Essentially the manufacturer was stating to get the benefits from this putter you must putt this way. Is that the right way to fit?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@cnosil

The charm of putting is that there are lots of ways to do it. Having a repeatable stroke that gets the ball rolling online and a predictable distance trumps the platonic ideal every day. IMO

I think you must fit the putter to the player. Of course if the player is attempting to achieve a change then that's part of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived