hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Precision Pro NX7

================================================

Precision Pro NX7 Laser Rangefinder - Stage 1, July 2018

================================================

I am excited and honored to be selected to test this product. Shout out to __mygolfspy__ and the amazing community that they've built for all of us golfers to test and share our thoughts on these products with everyone….

I've been golfing for about 15 years now and in that time I've had one rangefinder. It was an old bushnell I bought on eBay for 40 dollars because it had a defect. It was as barebones as you can find and I only used it a couple times.

I currently use the __TomTom Golfer 2 GPS__ watch for distances. It gives front/back/middle and will tell you distances to hazards as well as how far you hit your shot. I've had it going on 3 years now and __I like it__ for what it does.

A couple of drawbacks:

1) it's a watch and although it's on the smaller side it does take some getting used to

2) it won't give you distance to specific spots on the course - i.e. how far is that tree at the end of the fairway where the dogleg goes to the left?

As I said, I've been playing regularly for about __15 years__ now. I don't really count how many rounds I play each year but it's somewhere between 20 and 30….or so.

I play in the __New England__ area - MA, CT, RI, NH - and our season is from around March/April until October/November.

I'm an __average golfer__ - average height (5'10”), average weight (185), average score (low/mid 80's). But I'm constantly striving to improve and try to practice a lot.

I've done a couple of other reviews and you can get more background details there…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18831-official-forum-member-testing-ping-glide-wedges/?p=265560

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/16385-official-forum-member-review-tom-tom-golfer-2-gps-watch-review/?p=216627

===============

__My bag__ currently contains a Cobra F7+ driver which I was fit for, a set of Wilson FG Tour F5 irons, Cobra F7+ 3/4 wood, Titleist 816 hybrid, Ping Glide 2.0 wedges and a Cleveland Huntington Beach putter.

I have a set of single length Wishon irons that I was fit for but I am trying the progressive length Wilsons to compare against them. As I said, I am as average/basic as they come so standard clubs work fine for me; I used the specs from my single length fitting to get my Wilson clubs.

__When I play__ I am a decent driver of the golf ball; and pretty good with my shorter irons. My weakness is long shots - 175 yards + and putting. I don't 3 putt very often but I also don't 1 putt very often either.

I've been working harder lately on the mental aspect of the game and trying to plan my approach to playing each hole better versus just reaching for the driver.

As I mentioned __I use a TomTom Golfer 2 GPS__ watch and it has every course I've ever played loaded on it. It is pretty accurate for distance as I've compared what it shows to some guys I play with who use rangefinders.

__I'm pretty “tech savvy”__ as I've worked in Information Technology since my time in the Marine Corps in the early 90's. Technology doesn't intimidate me but I also don't let it drive me - by that I mean I use it as a tool to help me with whatever it is I'm doing (driving, golfing, running, etc.).

I'm very much looking forward to seeing if this rangefinder is as good as I've heard. It seems nearly every review I've read has nothing but praise for it.

===============

NX7 Pro Rangefinder Features (that make a difference to me)…

## Adaptive Slope Technology- allows you to toggle between elevation measuring Slope and tournament legal Non-Slope modes. Provides adjusted distances in Slope mode.

## Pulse Vibration Technology- gives a quick Pulse when locked on to the target so you know what you've hit.

## Target Acquisition Technology- scans your field of view and locks in on the target to ensure you get the yardage to the target, not what's behind the target.

## Shockproof Design- helps to survive the drops, tosses, any other impact on the golf course.

## Accuracy +/- 1 Yard- gives you the confidence to choose the correct club each time.

## 400 Yard Measuring Range- ensures you'll never be out of range of the target.

## 6X Magnification- brings the target 6 times closer to you for improved viewing and target acquisition.

===============

This closely matches __what I'm looking for__ in a rangefinder:

* * SPEED - I want it to be fast and something that tells me what I need to know quickly and don't want to have to fuss around with it.

* * ACCURATE - I'm not the type of golfer that can hit it to a VERY specific yardage but I do want it to measure within 1 to 2 yards.

* * LOCK ON - when I point it at something I want it to tell me the distance to that ‘thing' and not the stuff around it, beside it or behind it.

* * DURABLE - I don't plan on dropping it but if I do I don't want it to break and become a paperweight.

* * STORAGE - can I easily access it from/on my bag and take it in and out of the case

* * MAGNIFICATION - I'd like to be able to zoom in to my target - whatever it is - from long distance.

* * SLOPE - this is optional but I play on some courses with elevated tee boxes and I'd like to get accurate readings to the pin

* * DISTANCE READING - I don't hit the ball a long way but I do want to be able to capture distances to objects far away

* * SIZE/COMFORT - I have normal sized hands (wear a medium glove) and being able to hold it comfortably and securely in my hand is important.

* * IMAGE STABILIZATION - I don't want to have to hold it with 2 hands to keep the image stable.

* * BATTERY LIFE - If I forget to charge it after each round I don't want it to die on me in the middle of my next round.

* * PRICE - I'm a big believer in ROI … Am I getting the return I need or is it just a fancy toy?

* * EYEWEAR - I wear corrective eyeglasses when I play golf; do I need to take my glasses off to use it or can I keep them on?

* * BRAND NAME - I'm not tied into brand names….I just want something that works no matter what name is on the side. Will the quality be there even if it doesn't have a major label?

* * EASE OF USE - do I need to be a technofile in order to use it?

* * PACE OF PLAY - will it slow down my round and get in the way or become a part of my routine?

* * MOST IMPORTANTLY - will it make me a better golfer?.....do I need this to shoot lower scores? this is the only reason I will (or should) ever use anything golf related.

===============

I will be putting this to work over the next several weeks at some courses I've played and others I have not to get a true sense of how valuable it can be.

I'll also be __comparing the pros and cons with my GPS watch__ as well as determining if it helps my club selection. Not to say that I'll be able to execute the shot (haha) but at least I should know if I've got the correct club in my hand !!

The days of the red 100, white 150 and blue 200 markers are long gone but is this nifty rangefinder worth your cold, hard-earned cash ???

Come back in a few weeks and find out if these, and other questions are answered…. in the meantime, enjoy an unboxing video and some photos!

Case:

attachicon.gifcase1.JPG

attachicon.gifcase2.JPG

attachicon.gifcase3.JPG

Device:

attachicon.gifrf1.JPG

attachicon.gifrf2.JPG

attachicon.gifrf3.JPG

attachicon.gifrf4.JPG

In hand:

attachicon.gifhand1.JPG

attachicon.gifhand2.JPG

attachicon.gifhand3.JPG

Dimensions:

attachicon.gifsz1.JPG

attachicon.gifsz2.JPG

attachicon.gifsz3.JPG

attachicon.gifsz4.JPG

attachicon.gifsz5.JPG

Unboxing:

https://youtu.be/pdKw2pLJGpw

Nice intro. Pretty sure low/mid 80s is a good bit better than average though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Nice intro. Pretty sure low/mid 80s is a good bit better than average though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks!

I don't know...I've been stuck there for a while now so maybe it just seems "average" to me.  :lol:

• Like 2

Hi everybody. Massive thank you goes to MGS and their Staff. This was incredibly humbling and a super exciting opportunity awaits. My name is Steve, I live in Rochester, NY and I am a married father to a beautiful little girl and a handsome and kind Pit Bull. I work full time as a Firefighter and I spent over 12 of my 23 years of work, in some way shape or form as a small contributor in the massive world of the golf business.

attachicon.gifImage1531737983.265367.jpg

I am one of those guys who chose to try and make golf a career. The PGA Apprenticeship may have won the battle but I got more out of my short career in golf than I could have hoped for. Believe it or not, working in the golf business was an incredibly invaluable tool to advancing in the fire service. Some of you may be thinking what in the world does the golf business have to do with working for a fire department? Well, long story short, public interaction, customer service, being able to think quickly and act accordingly and above all, handling stressful situations without losing your cool.

attachicon.gifIMG_7035.JPG

Born and raised in Rochester, NY, I began golfing at age 7. Grandpa pulled up to our house on a May morning in his 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Wagon with a handmade set of Golfsmith irons. The patent leather carry bag full of a 5-7-9 iron, 3 wood and a putter with True Temper TT-Lite shafts and green victory grips spent several nights in my room as I was so excited to get out and play. It was clear from that day that I was hooked.

We did not have a lot of money growing up so my golfing opportunities were a product of starting work at 14. I caddied for two years and then joined the cart barn / bag room at Oak Hill CC. At the same time I was also working a local county course as a starter / ranger. I made the best of it and did what I could with what I had.

attachicon.gifIMG_7033.JPG

I played all four years of High School (3 on Varsity) and walked on and started Freshman, Junior and Senior years at a Division 2 school in NY. I felt confident in my game and decided that even though I was nowhere near the level to play Professionally, I could parlay my passion and ability into a career as a Club Pro. I passed the PAT the summer I graduated college and moved to Jupiter.

attachicon.gifImage1531740736.725172.jpg

Three years working at a year-round 18 hole golf club that counted over 19,000 rounds per year. It was a seasonal membership with plenty of snowbirds but the summer membership drove hard. It was a factory but also a very well oiled machine. Super nice people and a lot of great life experience. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

That was also where I became burned out with golf. It was too much, too overwhelming for me and in 2006, I left to begin my career as a Firefighter. Work became a chore and I had lost the passion I felt when I first started there three years prior. 65 hours a week and $31,000/year and it was time to move on.

attachicon.gifIMG_7034.JPG

I put my clubs down and didn't play a round until 2010. School, lack of funds and a major lack of interest fueled this decision. I needed to take a break.

Now that I am far removed from the golf business I get to play for fun. I have been fortunate enough to maintain a pretty decent game and play around a 4-6 handicap throughout the summer.

So…enough about me…Let's talk about this cool NX7...actually...how I found MyGolfSpy first...I was hooked on a site at my Florida Apprentice job and it was something. I was eventually turned off when I realized it was aggressive in encouraging sales of certain items far outside my price range. I have always enjoyed Golf forums and the myriad of topics covered. Instagram led me to MGS and from there I registered. I lingered for a little and then realized I have a story to tell, I have some value in my past that I could hopefully share with someone. The testing perk was just a bonus, I don't feel burdened to get out and take photos and post reviews, this is something fun to add to my days on the course.

So...full disclosure. Rangefinders were never really in my vocabulary. I would joke around with my college golf coach and tell him that I was always a feel player…a what?…I never was analytical on the golf course. You DEFINITELY won't see me with a compass :) It drove my college coach insane. He'd hand me a pin sheet and I'd throw it in the rubbish. Slow play would drive me nuts and I just thought if a shot looked a certain distance, I trusted my gut and swung away. Red, White and Blue ground markers were enough for me to judge a distance and give it a rip.

The NX7 appeals to me for many reasons. Size, price, warranty, ease of use. Now before I get ahead of myself, those are my first impressions. I plan on being critical of this only because I've been offered the opportunity.

I play a pretty simple bag of clubs. This year everything is new except for my putter, a 1999 PING anser 2 stainless with a SS 3.0 grip. G400 LST with a HZRDUS yellow and a G 14.5 with a PING Tour shaft. Irons are the Hogan Ft. Worth 15's mixed with HI irons. Equalizer 52 and a TK 59. 13 clubs for me, I cannot think of a time where I did carry 14. It just works and for now, while I can still move the ball pretty well I don't plan to change.

attachicon.gifImage1531737848.335543.jpg

As far as a tech guy, I am a middle of the road. Let's put it this way…I UNDERSTAND WHAT THE CLOUD IS AND HOW IT WORKS :)

Precision Pro has set their marks on the affordable, high-performance range finder within the market. So far, I am impressed. The package was simple, easy to operate and doesn't take genius to make it work. It's also super small and lightweight. I wear a CXL glove and it fits gently in my hand. Not obnoxious but just big enough to keep it stable while aiming.

attachicon.gifIMG_6899.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6904.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6903.JPG

The Pouch that attaches to my golf bag can be unzipped and then looped with an elastic band to make it easier to stow and grab without having to zip and un-zip for each use. I like that…simple and smart.

I have several big events upcoming, including a member-guest tournament at my brother-in-law's home club. It should offer plenty of opportunity for criticism.

Thanks for taking the time to get to know me, as a non-analytical golfer I hope some of you can relate to my kind of game.

Great intro. I'm from Buffalo, and went to U of Rochester. Heading home at the end of August. If you want to try to get a game let me know. Plan on playing Oak Hill one of the days, and am heading up to TXG, hopefully with a round at Mississauga.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Great intro. I'm from Buffalo, and went to U of Rochester. Heading home at the end of August. If you want to try to get a game let me know. Plan on playing Oak Hill one of the days, and am heading up to TXG, hopefully with a round at Mississauga.

Would love to. Send me a PM let's talk some more

• Like 1

Bumping in case some of you missed the stage 1s

Would love to. Send me a PM let's talk some more

How can a Syracuse boy get in on this ;) Love the intro btw Ben.

• Like 1

Nice job guys. Can any of you tell me how beneficial the slope function is to you? For example have you changed your club selection because of it?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Nice job guys. Can any of you tell me how beneficial the slope function is to you? For example have you changed your club selection because of it?

Very important to me.... one of the main features that I use.  I have a GPS watch that will tell me front/middle/back but doesn't adjust for slope; I think this is where a laser comes in handy.

I've made club changes using it already.  Both uphill and downhill.  Switched from PW to 9i going uphill and stuck it to 8 feet... had I stuck with the non-slope reading and used PW I would have been way short with a tough uphill putt.

Also made adjustments going downhill too....the slope reading is extremely useful but the way that they display it in the viewfinder isn't my favorite.  The slope reading is above the "target" circle and the non-slope is below it.  You have to remember to look up to get the slope reading.... would've have been nice if they put them side by side with a slash separating them... like 126/115 or something.

• Like 3

Slope function is extremely useful for shots with a severe uphill/downhill slope. Shot a pin that was 200 actual, but playing 140 due to the slope!

• Like 2

Slope function is extremely useful for shots with a severe uphill/downhill slope. Shot a pin that was 200 actual, but playing 140 due to the slope!

Wow that's a pretty big discrepancy! I never really thought about the slope feature on rangefinders, being an app & GPS watch user, but seeing that makes me wonder how much I'm missing out on by not having a laser. 

• Like 2

Bummed for a quick edit. URL to my ugly, but sometimes effective swing

Finally posted my stage 1. Bumping the thread.

:wacko:

Wow that's a pretty big discrepancy! I never really thought about the slope feature on rangefinders, being an app & GPS watch user, but seeing that makes me wonder how much I'm missing out on by not having a laser. 

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  I have a Garmin GPS watch, and a non-slope laser, and with this bit of information it now has me seriously rethinking my distance tools.

Me too gotta figure out how to fit one of those into the budget

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I get to put it to use this week for 72 holes of a men's member guest. My brother in law has a garmin yet there were several holes where he told me it plays far shorter than the written distance.

It'll be nice for comparison. And it'll also be nice that I can get out and play

:wacko:

Quick correction, after re reading, this was a 200 yard pin playing 180. Must of fat fingered. Still significant, but not as extreme. My round on Saturday at Royal Hawaiian had many up and downhill shots. The slope function was $$$

• Like 1

I love the way intro's are done on reviews. Learning about guys I see posting around is a lot more fun than I thought it would be.  :D

• Like 2