Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

Welcome to the MGS forum @Niles from another in the Motor City area. 👍

Although I live north and east of you, worked in automotive near downtown Detroit and made that commute on a daily basis until retiring at the end of April.

Be sure to look around the various areas and topics here, and feel free to join in anyone that interests you.

A surefire way to get you day started on the right foot is to visit the "Good Morning" thread. 😉

There is a lot of great information and people here who all are friendly and will to assist and interact with one another to answer any questions you may have. 😎  ⛳

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

23 hours ago, Medfloat said:

I have been a member of MGS since July of 2020 but not very active.  I was not much of a social media user and did not take much time to respond or comment to topics.  This was due to multiple reasons but now I have decided to give this more of my time so here we go.  

I am from the Cleveland area and have been playing (more like trying to) since myself and a fellow Marine decided to give speed golf a try on a whim at Camp Lejeune in 1998.  It was the ugliest golf one could imagine!!!  We used rental and borrowed clubs back then but I got hooked.  Nowadays I have a fitted set and play more respectably. 
Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

Currently playing at 7.9 according to SwingU app, I don’t have an official HC.

Golf is a great way to unplug, get away for the stress of work, get together with friends and meet new people.  I use a discount book for golf and travel around the area playing during the week so no home course for me.

Best thing about golf in my area is there are so many good public courses and people, worse thing is pace of play.

I will be happily retiring from Police work in a tad over a year and look forward to a normal life.

As for my screen name, it is a combination of Mediterranean and Float since I did a couple of them while serving in the Marine Corps. 

Welcome to this forum group. Thank you for your service in and out of the Corps. Check out the Vets' forum when you get a chance. Hoo Rah!

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

10 minutes ago, Dweed said:

Welcome to this forum group. Thank you for your service in and out of the Corps. Check out the Vets' forum when you get a chance. Hoo Rah!

Thanks!!! Vet’s forum?  Oh boy…

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

2 hours ago, Niles said:

Welcome!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

On 6/3/2024 at 3:08 PM, ClevelandGirl said:

Hi! Hope I’m doing this right, still learning how the forum works. As stated I’m in Cleveland, fairly new here, and feel spoiled by the Metropark courses. 

I’ve been playing about 8 years and was still using my original beginners set of clubs, and decided to treat myself to getting a full bag fitting. Every club went up to 2 or senior flex, so there was a struggle to relearn to play after 8 years of pool noodle flex. 

Driver is TSR1. Given that I hit my hybrids so well, fitter suggested I just go with a 3-4-5 hybrid set up instead of woods, so I have the brilliant new AI Smoke hybrids. Irons are the amazing new Qi10s, 6i-P, and (from a different fitting for my birthday last year) Cleveland RTX 54 and 58. I have shaft and swing weight info but that seems excessive. 

Anyway thanks for having me!

IMG_0865.jpeg

I was just clicking on a bunch of clickable threads and fell into this one.  That is one big bag of treats you got there!  Where was your fitting?  What did you think of the process?  Which metropark course is your fav?  

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

25 minutes ago, Medfloat said:

I was just clicking on a bunch of clickable threads and fell into this one.  That is one big bag of treats you got there!  Where was your fitting?  What did you think of the process?  Which metropark course is your fav?  

Club Champion out in Westpark. I know Windmill gets all the glory but Greg Buchs is amazing. I never thought I’d be able to tell the difference in shafts but dang I am a believer now. I had issues adjusting to the heavier not as whippy clubs (not gonna lie, my first time out with the clubs there were tears lol), and he worked with me for a couple months to get me settled with them. Now I know if I get wonky, it’s something I am doing and not the clubs. Already I have on course recognition and correction techniques. Still I don’t think I’m gonna hit my breaking 90 goal this summer considering there’s less than a month before the season ends. I will attack again next summer!

I really like most of the Metroparks - I have friends that work at Big Met so I walk 9 there or Little Met. The lads and I play a lot at Seneca and Ironwood (since the MP fixed the red tees 😒) but the big jewel courses (Sleepy, Manakiki, etc) are rough on my ball budget since I’m the epitome of the average golfer lol. I adore those courses and try to play each one at least once a year. 

Titleist TSR1, Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 3-4-5 hybrids, TaylorMade Qi10 irons 6i-P, Cleveland RTX wedges 54 and 58, SeeMore OG FSG blade, yet helpless without my ShotScope V5.

17 minutes ago, ClevelandGirl said:

Club Champion out in Westpark. I know Windmill gets all the glory but Greg Buchs is amazing. I never thought I’d be able to tell the difference in shafts but dang I am a believer now. I had issues adjusting to the heavier not as whippy clubs (not gonna lie, my first time out with the clubs there were tears lol), and he worked with me for a couple months to get me settled with them. Now I know if I get wonky, it’s something I am doing and not the clubs. Already I have on course recognition and correction techniques. Still I don’t think I’m gonna hit my breaking 90 goal this summer considering there’s less than a month before the season ends. I will attack again next summer!

I really like most of the Metroparks - I have friends that work at Big Met so I walk 9 there or Little Met. The lads and I play a lot at Seneca and Ironwood (since the MP fixed the red tees 😒) but the big jewel courses (Sleepy, Manakiki, etc) are rough on my ball budget since I’m the epitome of the average golfer lol. I adore those courses and try to play each one at least once a year. 

After I had my fitting with Mike Snodgrass at the Warrensville Heights CC store, I was turned into a believer.  I have been back a few times for loft/lie checks and fixes with a single issue. They have been great.  Sleepy is my favorite Metroparks course but do have to say they did wonders with Seneca east of the clubhouse.  Once they took over the course from the city of Cleveland they worked their magic.  The 27 holes they rebuilt are a great improvement.  How has ypur game been since the fitting.  Are you seeing any improvements? 

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

13 hours ago, Medfloat said:

After I had my fitting with Mike Snodgrass at the Warrensville Heights CC store, I was turned into a believer.  I have been back a few times for loft/lie checks and fixes with a single issue. They have been great.  Sleepy is my favorite Metroparks course but do have to say they did wonders with Seneca east of the clubhouse.  Once they took over the course from the city of Cleveland they worked their magic.  The 27 holes they rebuilt are a great improvement.  How has ypur game been since the fitting.  Are you seeing any improvements? 

I can’t believe the difference it made. Something like swingweight seemed silly until I actually was able to feel the difference. And it took quite an interesting while to get adjusted to them. It was very frustrating to see the difference in the sim but not see it on the course - I’m an American and I want my instant gratification instantly! 🤣 Poor Greg turned into a psychologist as well as a club fitter there for a few weeks but I’ve learned SO much from him it’s ridiculous. 

But now I see a huge difference. The accuracy of my driver helps, the extra distance helps, and on some courses I can actually score a GIR or two. And I actually like knowing it’s not the clubs, it’s me. There’s something easier about it - if I’m popping up my driver, I’m going over the top. If I’m yanking things left, my lower body is out of sync. It’s given me the ability to recognize and correct on course during a round. 

Titleist TSR1, Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 3-4-5 hybrids, TaylorMade Qi10 irons 6i-P, Cleveland RTX wedges 54 and 58, SeeMore OG FSG blade, yet helpless without my ShotScope V5.

5 hours ago, ClevelandGirl said:

I can’t believe the difference it made. Something like swingweight seemed silly until I actually was able to feel the difference. And it took quite an interesting while to get adjusted to them. It was very frustrating to see the difference in the sim but not see it on the course - I’m an American and I want my instant gratification instantly! 🤣 Poor Greg turned into a psychologist as well as a club fitter there for a few weeks but I’ve learned SO much from him it’s ridiculous. 

But now I see a huge difference. The accuracy of my driver helps, the extra distance helps, and on some courses I can actually score a GIR or two. And I actually like knowing it’s not the clubs, it’s me. There’s something easier about it - if I’m popping up my driver, I’m going over the top. If I’m yanking things left, my lower body is out of sync. It’s given me the ability to recognize and correct on course during a round. 

That’s great!  The bad thing is you can’t use your equipment as an excuse any more🤷🏼‍♂️  Maybe one day we can get some C-towner spies out for a round.

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

2 hours ago, Medfloat said:

That’s great!  The bad thing is you can’t use your equipment as an excuse any more🤷🏼‍♂️  Maybe one day we can get some C-towner spies out for a round.

Flip that around - it’s great not to have the equipment as an excuse. Fewer variables means finding solutions faster.

And yes, there seems to be a ton of Cleveland spies! 

2 hours ago, ClevelandGirl said:

Flip that around - it’s great not to have the equipment as an excuse. Fewer variables means finding solutions faster.

And yes, there seems to be a ton of Cleveland spies! 

When where are you playing next?

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

Cleveland East Siders will be happy to hear a Golf Galaxy is opening where Golfsmith used to be in Warrensville. Haven't seen any dates, but signs are on the building and out by 271.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic MAX LS
Hybrid: :taylormade-small: Rescue 
4-GW: :taylormade-small: Burner Plus
SW: :macgregor-small: MS8 
LW:  Slazenger Wrath 60
Putter: ? It was a gift with no brand on it
Bag: :Ogio: Fuse 2024 Neon Sport

10 hours ago, Medfloat said:

When where are you playing next?

Don’t know yet - prolly going out to walk 9 tomorrow if the rain cooperates then Sunday with the lads as usual. Where are you off to?

Just put up a Cleveland area outing feeler for end of September in the meet ups forum. Scooch over there if you’d like to join. Figure we can get at least 2 foursomes, hopefully!

On 9/2/2024 at 5:48 PM, Niles said:

Welcome to the forum! Like @rkj427 I'm also northeast of you. Sucks to hear you have problems with people being prejudiced, as if impatient golfers aren't bad enough. As long as you are keeping pace with the standard pace of play, don't sweat taking your time to learn the game. Let people play through if you can, but if they're being assholes, make them wait behind you. Golf is supposed to be fun, don't let then ruin that for you. 

Dr- Wilson Launchpad 

3w,4&5H,6i-PW-Strata

52°, 56°, 60°- Bombtech

P- Cleveland Frontline Elite Cero 35"

Welcome @Niles! I use the game for relief and therapy from anxiety too, and it is great in so many ways for the brain, between the exercise and green trees and the practice in being in the present. 

Wish I could help with the folks behind you and while I’m not a person of color, I am a woman and get the some of the same treatment, like the “oh there’s a girl playing in that group, it’s gonna be a long day” stereotype (truth be told, I’m one of the fastest players in my usual group unless the wheels come off).  I can only encourage you to take a few lessons (group lessons are great!) and find a league. Playing with a great group makes it a lot easier. It took me years to get over the anxiety of people waiting behind - now I just look forward and make sure my group is on pace. 

On 9/2/2024 at 4:48 PM, Niles said:

Welcome to MGS!  You won't find any of that nonsense here. We are a community.  

Learning the game is hard, tack in the added data side of the equipment makes it daunting!  Baby steps . Don't try to overload your senses with extras until you are ready.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, ClevelandGirl said:

Don’t know yet - prolly going out to walk 9 tomorrow if the rain cooperates then Sunday with the lads as usual. Where are you off to?

Thinking of going to Pine Hills Friday.  It is literally 5 minutes from the house and a great course.  I will be going back to xgolf Broadview Hts tonight for more swing practice.  I have a membership there for the summer (end of September it concludes) and need the extra work.  

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

2 hours ago, Dan1247 said:

Cleveland East Siders will be happy to hear a Golf Galaxy is opening where Golfsmith used to be in Warrensville. Haven't seen any dates, but signs are on the building and out by 271.

Woohooo! After getting my clubs checked at Club Champion I can stop over there to get my accessories!

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

20 minutes ago, Medfloat said:

Woohooo! After getting my clubs checked at Club Champion I can stop over there to get my accessories!

Hopefully it'll be even half the store Golfsmith was, but anything will be better than the small selection Dick's has.

2 hours ago, Dan1247 said:

Hopefully it'll be even half the store Golfsmith was, but anything will be better than the small selection Dick's has.

True, Golfsmith had everything!  Miss that store…

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

- Been playing on and off for the last 20ish years. Finally joined a weekly league in 2021 and have decreased my handicap from low 20s to 11.6 since then.

2. What do you love about golf?

- I love that no two shots are the same and that each shot is a new challenge. I also am a huge golf tech/gear nerd!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

- I have been a long-time lurker on MGS but finally joined the forum to chat more about golf! I first got hooked on the ball comparisons that helped me choose a new ball. I do not know any other spies but I look forward to changing that!

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

- Born and raised in Milwaukee, WI. My home course these days is Muskego Lakes CC.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

- Best thing is summers are not unbearably hot (most days) and fall golf is damn near unbeatable. An early Sunday 9 followed by a day of watching football is top notch! Worst is obviously the cold winters which puts a damper on outdoor golf for 6-8 months. Although, with the rise of golf sim popularity, at least we can still scratch that itch somewhat with that over the winter months.

6. What do you do for a living?

- I am a mechanical engineer for a naval defense subcontractor. 

7. How’d you pick your user name?

- MeanMachine24 has been my gamer id/username for anything I sign up for since the early days of online gaming with PS2. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Driver: :PXG:0211, 9°

3W: :callaway-small: Maverick, 15°

3H: :callaway-small: Maverick, 21°

4-PW: :callaway-small: N416

Wedges: Kirkland 52°, 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Ice #7

Ball: Currently Searching 🤔

8 minutes ago, MeanMachine24 said:

- Been playing on and off for the last 20ish years. Finally joined a weekly league in 2021 and have decreased my handicap from low 20s to 11.6 since then.

- I love that no two shots are the same and that each shot is a new challenge. I also am a huge golf tech/gear nerd!

- I have been a long-time lurker on MGS but finally joined the forum to chat more about golf! I first got hooked on the ball comparisons that helped me choose a new ball. I do not know any other spies but I look forward to changing that!

- Born and raised in Milwaukee, WI. My home course these days is Muskego Lakes CC.

- Best thing is summers are not unbearably hot (most days) and fall golf is damn near unbeatable. An early Sunday 9 followed by a day of watching football is top notch! Worst is obviously the cold winters which puts a damper on outdoor golf for 6-8 months. Although, with the rise of golf sim popularity, at least we can still scratch that itch somewhat with that over the winter months.

- MeanMachine24 has been my gamer id/username for anything I sign up for since the early days of online gaming with PS2. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Welcome to the Forum!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

@Niles, when I worked in Livonia I would scoot down E Merriman to Westland to I believe it's called Mack Mayfield Municiple Golf Course over lunch hour to play. It's only 9 and a par 65 when you play 18 but it generally wasn't that crowded. Granted, it's not in the best shape either. But frankly it has enough challenges for even scratch players to stay interested. Those kind of places are the best to learn in my opinion.  That way there is a lot less pressure on you. Enjoy, please.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

2 hours ago, MeanMachine24 said:

Welcome to the forum! I'm a recovering ME, but not I never got to do anything as cool as defense

2 hours ago, MeanMachine24 said:

From a fellow mech eng (surrounded by too many aero eng and EE), that also works in defense, welcome!

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

13 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

From a fellow mech eng (surrounded by too many aero eng and EE), that also works in defense, welcome!

When those aero guys start getting uppity about being rocket scientists just remind them they only took about 3 different classes than you did. 

There's no helping the EEs though. 

16 hours ago, MeanMachine24 said:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting the handicap down from 20 to 11.6! I also got into MGS with the ball test!

I wasn't able to quote your post @Niles because it's on another page, but welcome to the forum from a fellow Michigander! 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

3 hours ago, jbern said:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting the handicap down from 20 to 11.6! I also got into MGS with the ball test!

I wasn't able to quote your post @Niles because it's on another page, but welcome to the forum from a fellow Michigander! 

Thanks glad to be here! Perhaps you can answer my newbie question. How does one get the brand logos in the WITB signature??

4 hours ago, Dan1247 said:

When those aero guys start getting uppity about being rocket scientists just remind them they only took about 3 different classes than you did. 

There's no helping the EEs though. 

Yeah I usually just tend to zone out when the sparkies start talking about their gigawatts and their flux capacitors....