Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Sun Mountain Cart Air Pump

fixyurdivot

The plastic cap where the press-fit bushing / flex hose threads into has cracked and no longer build pressure.  I just visited the Sun Mountain website and they are not listing replacement pumps as available (unless I'm missing it).  I plan to call SM tomorrow and ask about replacement - just wondering if others have experienced this problem with their OEM air pump?   

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

19 minutes ago, Bosox04 said:

I hated using that pump. I converted to solid tires

same here. The pump was a POS.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I called Sun Mountain and they still offer the hand pumps - though not listed on the website.  I just replaced a tube in one tire and, if I can stay clear of the "Goat-heads" they seem to hold air and work just fine.  In truth, this winter was the first time I ever tried the pump - only to find it has a cracked housing and will not pressurize.  

15 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

The pump was a POS.

No argument. I'm guessing the cracked housing is not uncommon and that the $5 + $8 s&h SM wants for a replacement is not worth it.  I think I'll buy one of the other handful of small bicycle pumps available.  If I continue to experience flats, the change to the solid/foam tires is on the horizon.

I have read a few reviews that the replacement tires, particularly the front one, did not fit well and required a change of the brake caliper?  I think my SpeedCart is a generation 1.  Did either of you have any issues with the modification?

29 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I have read a few reviews that the replacement tires, particularly the front one,

I can't disagree. I know the front tire drags a bit. I've hand adjusted it a couple of times but no serious attempt. It's been a minor issue for me and I'm glad I replaced my cart with solid tires. I also have thought about disabling the ft brake as it's pretty flat around here and a brake isn't really necessary and I can easily work around a situation where the cart might roll away.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm surprised SM's engineering group hasn't corrected these retrofit problems... except that they would prefer you just buy a new cart 😄.  I purchased both my Sun Mountain bag and the cart used for $80 about 8 years ago and except for the one flat, both have been great.  Of course western WA has not the likes of the venerable Goathead!

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I called Sun Mountain and they still offer the hand pumps - though not listed on the website.  I just replaced a tube in one tire and, if I can stay clear of the "Goat-heads" they seem to hold air and work just fine.  In truth, this winter was the first time I ever tried the pump - only to find it has a cracked housing and will not pressurize.  

No argument. I'm guessing the cracked housing is not uncommon and that the $5 + $8 s&h SM wants for a replacement is not worth it.  I think I'll buy one of the other handful of small bicycle pumps available.  If I continue to experience flats, the change to the solid/foam tires is on the horizon.

I have read a few reviews that the replacement tires, particularly the front one, did not fit well and required a change of the brake caliper?  I think my SpeedCart is a generation 1.  Did either of you have any issues with the modification?

I'm not sure what kind of tires are offered now, but my replacement tires looked just like the inflatable tires, so I did not have any problems. Before I bought replacement tires, I used some of that canned stuff to fix flat tires, and that kind of turned the tires into solid tires, and it worked well.

Archived