The ball:
CALLAWAY ERC SOFT

Distance - same
Trajectory - mid
Spin - hop & stop
Feel - soft
Durability (1 round) - scuffed but payable
Rating - GAMER

Recently bought the new ERC Sofft by Callaway and I have a few thoughts.  All in all it the great ball; distance, feel, spin, blah blah blah....Boring I know but the real deal is the alignment aid lines! Before my first round with them I took a hour to try them out onthe practice green. These things are like cheating! 30 footers: 1 made 2 missed by 2 ft! 40 foot: 3 within 2 ft. 

During they round drained 2 over 20' and missed close  alot. I average 34-36 putts a round. This round only 30. I did notice it was slightly distracting to square up to the ball in the rough or fairway. Although this did give me a nice focal point. Overall very pleased with this ball and I will playing it regularly.  I did notice that the lines on some of the balls weren't continuously or slightly misaligned.  Not sure if I got a few bad ones or if their printing process isn't refined enough. 

Edited by DaJoeyNJ
using template from ball review

:callaway-small: EPIC FLASH SZ 9 Stiff Project X HZARDS SMOKE stiff 70g

:callaway-small: EPIC 18 Rogue MAX 75g stiff

:taylormade-small: M1 (2016) 4H Fuji Pro Stiff  

:taylormade-small: P760 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 Stiff

SM6 52° degree F-Grind 8 Bounce  MD3 56° S-Grind 10 Bounce  RTX-3 60° 10 Bounce

:odyssey-small: O-Works R-Line w/SS 2.0

Thx for that. Been curious about these and (..despite the over-the-top marketing hype) may give them a try, too!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I was just wondering earlier if there was a review on the alignment and if it made a difference. Thanks for the info!

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

• 2 weeks later...

Update after a few more rounds :

Still loving the feel and the alignment aid really is a game changer. You just feel confident you're going to hit it square. I have it mixing in between Pro V1 TP5. Feel like I hit these straighter and I am losing less of them.  I am hoping to get on a Trackman soon to do a proper side by side. 

durability- 8.5/10 it's a soft cover so I am not expecting more than a round out of them

• 2 weeks later...

I found one and played decent with it but really looking forward to getting the new chrome soft x with the triple track alignment. The Erc ball was a little too firm feeling around the greens to be my gamer but the chrome soft fits. I liked the alignment for the tee box as well as it really helped my start line and swing path.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 3/28/2019 at 10:44 AM, gchester33 said:

I was just wondering earlier if there was a review on the alignment and if it made a difference.

I found one recently and tried it on the practice green. Didn't like the lines at all. Distracting. I can only imagine playing one of these off the fairway. Ugh.

Of course there will be lots of "science" to back up any claims made by Callaway. Kind of like how nobody this weekend in my game lowered their scores any by leaving the pin in. How can that be Plaid? You must be a science-denier. No, it's because they missed the hole completely. Every time. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy gave me a sleeve to try this past Saturday. I usually play the Supersoft, but recently picked up 6 dozen Snell Get Sum for a great price, so I didn't want to like these, LOL.

I'm not that guy, you know, the one who can just tell immediately how a ball feels, spins, etc. I just know I'm not a long hitter, so I look for a softer ball. If I can get a prior generation Wilson Duo for $9'99 per, I'm buying bulk. The thought of spending $4+ per ball always seemed crazy to me. I get a good laugh listening to guys I beat by 10 or more strokes tell me they "can only play" a Pro V or TP5, especially when they barely have 90 mph SS.

Ok so now on to the ERC. I'm coming out of a mild funk with my game, and Saturday was the second consecutive really good round I've had since making a swing adjustment. I'm sure my improved swing had a lot to do with it, but this ball felt great (I usually struggle telling the difference between most), the distance was excellent, and I was able to work the ball a bit. As far as spin, it seemed better then what I usually game, although again, I played well, and my short game was better then usual. Not sure how much the ball helped, but I'm thinking it did.

I liked the alignment lines. I'll usually align from the logo on a ball (I carry a Sharpie, but I'm too lazy to draw a line) but the lines were very easy to work off. I had an average putting day.  It was a "travel day" for my group, and the greens weren't good, but I liked the roll I was getting..

My verdict? I really liked the ball, it worked very well for me. and if my buddy gives me more, I'll play them happily. Will I buy them? Probably not. I'm a bargain shopper when it comes to golf balls. Very rarely have I spent more then $20 per dozen. Usually I pay much less for the ones I play.

*QUICK EDIT* I just noticed the OP played the Pro v and TP5. My remark about the people I play with using them had nothing to do with him playing those. I apologize if it came off like I was being a jerk and talking about him. That wasn't my intention at all. I hope it didn't come off that way @DaJoeyNJ….

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:            :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 22* & 25*

Irons:             :mizuno-small:  JPX 923 HM 6-AW

Wedges:        :ping-small: Tour Issue Glide 4.0 54-12

:ping-small:  Tour Issue Glide 4.0 58-10

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

No offense taken, I agree I too have a very difficult time paying $4+ a ball. I usually buy generation old TP5 or ProV1 to lower the cost. I also buy used ProV1 in mint or near mint to fill out the bag for holes I am less confident on. I wanted to try ERC because of the tech and lines. It does seem to make a difference. I probably wont be buying another dozen till I find them on sale to be honest though. I will say the spin factor on approach shots is the biggest reason to but premium.  They hold the green and will save you shots.