Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

So this is a question perhaps more so for Tony and the other MGS staff who were present for the ball test with the robot.

When you observed the balls that flew 30-40yds offline, what did the ball flight actually look like? Was it more of a smooth continuous curve, or something really freaky (like we see in range balls that are badly worn sometimes).

I guess my purpose for asking is this, is there a peculiar looking flight characteristic of a ball that is seriously out of whack or does it just look like a big slice, hook, push slice, etc (otherwise indiscernible to someone, such that they might think they hit the shot that badly).

It may have already been asked/answered, so apologies in advance. From the video put out on Youtube, I seem to just remember Tony saying that it just went crazy offline.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

Srixon Zstar 2017, new

IMG_0563.PNG.591365ba734b0d4c75cff65c9949f343.PNG

Much less density difference, much less high density material

It took me a moment to remember that you were talking earlier about x-raying some balls, and this is just awesome!

This has been a fun and VERY informative thread, but this took it to a whole new level. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

First #finditxrayit done

Callaway ERC Soft, new in box

IMG_0561.PNG.c364186623a0b7c94997274233374587.PNG

Seems to be lots of higher density imperfections, cores look a little inconsistent but this may be a technical issue. I’ll add more as I do them.
It’s an interesting technical challenge, I might have to write a paper

And the BEST part is now, THEY GLOW!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

28 minutes ago, PMookie said:

And the BEST part is now, THEY GLOW!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I might have to get @Kenny B to give you some physics lessons😉

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I played the Duo Professional for the first time yesterday after winning some via Twitter. They weren't a bad ball at all (I shot 1 higher than my last round, which I used a Q Star Tour) but they also just felt a bit dead to me. Both balls are rated "fair" in the test however I noticed a bit less check around the greens with the Duo Professional. 

I really need to get my hands on the MTB Black to try them out. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

A few more #finditxrayit
Titleist Pro V1
IMG_0566.PNG.5fdfc32986f514a39f0a70d5f4f6adbf.PNG
Callaway Chrome Soft
IMG_0572.PNG.499fef6bf366040f5abc9d5288562834.PNG

Titleist Velocity
IMG_0569.PNG.c963c5cdb4efe29572d204bb539c09a1.PNG
Wilson Duo Soft
IMG_0570.PNG.f1e8e2de07b5381bef189d357d13dd7b.PNG
Titleist Pro V1X
IMG_0567.PNG.c8db94d10a15dd31ebf17f6a04e95e1e.PNG

IMG_0568.PNG.2d244dfb9b26f911f818daadc4853e8b.PNG
Found my first obvious off centre core, surprisingly the Titleist Pro V1X. I included the measurements to provide a bit more information. It looks bad, but in reality the core is only 1mm off centre. I plan on putting this ball into play (during a practice round) once I get my swing going.
High density "impurities " seem to be more common in cheaper balls, although so far it's a very small sample.

I'll work through my shag bag to try to find some more to have a look at. 4 piece balls certainly look more interesting, and are probably technically more difficult to manufacture to tight tolerances.

I was wondering if you we’re going to to measure the core’s centeredness!! Great job!

Can you measure if the core in that bottom Callaway is smaller than the others? Perhaps it is an optical illusion.

The Titleist definitely look pure in terms of material density.

WITB:

33 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

I was wondering if you we’re going to to measure the core’s centeredness!! Great job!

Can you measure if the core in that bottom Callaway is smaller than the others? Perhaps it is an optical illusion.

The Titleist definitely look pure in terms of material density.

I'll have another look at the Chrome Soft, it may be geometrical distortion, unlikely as the source-object distance was very long especially compared to the size of a ball. 

The 2 views of the Pro V1X are at 90 degrees to each other.

I need to find a couple of "X" versions of other brands to compare densities.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wanted to report back with some updated experiences with the MTB-X.  As we head into fall, we had our first cool morning yesterday.  It was a brisk departure from what has been the norm over the past several months.  It was 54* when we teed off at 7:00am and didn't get into the 60's until we were well into the second nine.  

I experienced a larger than normal drop in carry distance with the MTB-X over other balls I have played over the years.  The first few holes were eye opening.  On every iron approach, I was clubbing down one club and still coming up half a club short of my target.  I normally expect to see about a club difference when the temperatures drop but not a club and a half to two full clubs.  I also noticed a significant drop in spin.  Especially on approaches from 100 to 150 yards.  Once I adjusted and started actually hitting a few greens, the ball was releasing and running to the back of every green.  Which was odd given it was an early morning round with cool, damp conditions.  It began to round back into what I would normally expect to see as the temperatures increased from both a carry distance and spin perspective.

I would also like to point out, I have been playing some of the most consistent golf of my life in recent months so, this wasn't a result of poor ball striking.  There was also not a breath of wind.  The app on my phone read "Winds from the SW @ <1 MPH".

Anyone have any similar experiences as the temperatures decrease?

@sixcat  I also play the MTB-X and have been playing early mornings with temps in the upper 50s and lower 60s in the first part of the round, but I have not experienced the issues you've described.  

Did you switch out to a different ball to see if it was an issue with just that ball?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

@sixcat That's interesting. I wish I could offer some more information, but unfortunately I've never experimented with the MTB-X - only the MTB-Black. My experience with that ball is that its performance was comparable to others I had tried before in cooler temperatures. 

On a separate note, I have finally run low enough on my Vice Pros (still have a better part of two dozen - one of which is still NIB) to give Bridgestone a shot. I have to say I am very impressed so far.

I wasn't able to get the Tour B X that I went into the store after, but since Bridgestone doesn't appear to offer much information regarding the differences between the Tour B X and Tour B XS (aside from one is for improved accuracy and the other is for more distance), I went ahead and grabbed two dozen of the Tour B XS to try. These feel exactly the way I prefer and seem to do really well out on the course. Distance is comparable and wedge spin with these things is just insane. Though it only happened on one hole, I quickly learned that it is possible for me to actually spin this ball a bit too much as I spun one off the front of the green after landing hole high with a back pin. I'm excited to get these out on the course again and continue to see what I can do with them. It seems this may be a much better ball for me on partial wedge shots as I was able to get the ball to land and stop quite quickly this past weekend.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

@sixcat  I also play the MTB-X and have been playing early mornings with temps in the upper 50s and lower 60s in the first part of the round, but I have not experienced the issues you've described.  

Did you switch out to a different ball to see if it was an issue with just that ball?

I used 3 different MTB-X's and a buddies Pro-V1.  No issue whatsoever with the Pro-V1 but similar issues with all 3 MTB-X. 

I would also add, by the time the temperatures were in the lower 60's, I saw no issues whatsoever.  It was only during the first 12 holes or so when temperatures were still in the low 50's.  Temperatures were slow to rise yesterday morning, which is typical of fall in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

It was probably in the low 60s by the time I teed off.  I'll keep an eye out for this when our temps drop a bit more in the mornings.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 7/29/2019 at 5:46 PM, Peaksy68 said:

I'll have another look at the Chrome Soft, it may be geometrical distortion, unlikely as the source-object distance was very long especially compared to the size of a ball. 

The 2 views of the Pro V1X are at 90 degrees to each other.

I need to find a couple of "X" versions of other brands to compare densities.

This is really cool stuff! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

@Peaksy68 this is awesome!!!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Food for thought here that has gotten me curious as to if there is any truth to this.  

Over the weekend I was trying  few different golf balls namely a tour BX and  a ProV which have about 6 points of compression difference according to the test results.  I noticed that I had a tendency to Fade the Tour BX (My Normal Shot, and Ball) off the T while the ProV I had a tendency to Draw.

Now in theory I can understand how a softer ball will remain in contact with the face longer and thus allow the club head to turn further closed, but my question is in reality is this noticeable.    

Thoughts welcome.  

Food for thought here that has gotten me curious as to if there is any truth to this.  

Over the weekend I was trying  few different golf balls namely a tour BX and  a ProV which have about 6 points of compression difference according to the test results.  I noticed that I had a tendency to Fade the Tour BX (My Normal Shot, and Ball) off the T while the ProV I had a tendency to Draw.

Now in theory I can understand how a softer ball will remain in contact with the face longer and thus allow the club head to turn further closed, but my question is in reality is this noticeable.    

Thoughts welcome.  

Excellent thought. In theory that would make sense. The longer the ball is on the club face the more closed it will be at the point of separation.

So if you struggle with a slice, play a soft ball. If you struggle with a hook play a firmer ball. That seems to also align with skill. Better players often fight a hook and higher handicaps a slice. I have no data to support that, just brainstorming along your train of thought.

I like these types of posts

WITB:

9 hours ago, kpn_stew said:

Thoughts welcome.  

Hmmm I definitely can get on board with your logic. I'm just not sure if the difference in contact time would make a difference. Someone correct me here, but the difference between a fade and a draw on a perfectly neutral swing plane is like 2-3ish degrees for the face at impact, right? I'm just not sure the different amount of contact time would end up making enough of a difference to see a few degrees in the face angle.

Completely spit ballin' tho

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

Does this also depend on swing speed?  The faster the swing, then the less time the ball will be in contact with the face.  Someone would have to measure how long the ball is in contact with the face to validate whether this could affect the trajectory.

Another variable we must consider is center face contact. Unless he used foot spray or impact tape to tell if he was hitting them out the middle, there is always the possibility of gear effect to explain the differences. Hard to say without a slow motion camera and a robot.

WITB:

• 2 weeks later...
Does this also depend on swing speed?  The faster the swing, then the less time the ball will be in contact with the face.  Someone would have to measure how long the ball is in contact with the face to validate whether this could affect the trajectory.
I would think the opposite would be true. Faster swing speeds are compressing the ball more not less. So I would think the ball will stay on the face longer the higher the swing speed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, sixcat said:

I wanted to report back with some updated experiences with the MTB-X.  As we head into fall, we had our first cool morning yesterday.  It was a brisk departure from what has been the norm over the past several months.  It was 54* when we teed off at 7:00am and didn't get into the 60's until we were well into the second nine.  

I experienced a larger than normal drop in carry distance with the MTB-X over other balls I have played over the years.  The first few holes were eye opening.  On every iron approach, I was clubbing down one club and still coming up half a club short of my target.  I normally expect to see about a club difference when the temperatures drop but not a club and a half to two full clubs.  I also noticed a significant drop in spin.  Especially on approaches from 100 to 150 yards.  Once I adjusted and started actually hitting a few greens, the ball was releasing and running to the back of every green.  Which was odd given it was an early morning round with cool, damp conditions.  It began to round back into what I would normally expect to see as the temperatures increased from both a carry distance and spin perspective.

I would also like to point out, I have been playing some of the most consistent golf of my life in recent months so, this wasn't a result of poor ball striking.  There was also not a breath of wind.  The app on my phone read "Winds from the SW @ <1 MPH".

Anyone have any similar experiences as the temperatures decrease?

given the damp conditions, the spin rate is not shocking and the ball rolling out seems normal to me.  On cold days, i can see the ball traveling noticeably shorter. Back in high school on cold days we would "heat up" or golf balls in our car before a match. Defroster on high heat and the balls would sit on the heat for 15-20 min.....worked like a charm

Golf is cool

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:10 PM, kpn_stew said:

Thoughts welcome.  

I do not think i millisecond of extra face time would result in a draw over a fade. I'm sure its just a tiny change in swing path that would lead to that. just an opinion though.

Golf is cool

Todaysgolfer (UK) has another great test. 

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2019/september/robot-tested-which-golf-bal-suits-my-game/

They claiming:

There is no reason for an soft ball. Only the feel. 

Soft is slow, but isn`t short.

But soft spins not so much like an hard ball with wedges and irons.

That`s also what i think about this.

I always play softer balls, for their feel. I love the softer balls.

After the MGS Test i try many harder balls - and stay with them. Feel can be "learned"!  I love my harder balls...;-)

Off the driver, there wasn`t so much in it. Sure a few yards this model or this. (soft or hard)

But the bigger difference is with irons and wedges. IMO, if you want more spin and stable flight: You have to go with harder balls. 

My Ball Srixon XV.

How do you know if a company makes their own balls or not?  I'm taking about the DTC balls.  With the OG Kirklands being 🔥 but the new ones sucking... but the Pearls being the same as the OG, it gets confusing.  I really like the Oncore Elixr... like alot.  Do they make their own ball?  I know they have an Elixr X on the way and I hope that its a new ball and not just a rebadge that someone else is selling under another name but I have no clue.  I love the Elixr though. 

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

4 minutes ago, SmoothG said:

How do you know if a company makes their own balls or not?  I'm taking about the DTC balls.  With the OG Kirklands being 🔥 but the new ones sucking... but the Pearls being the same as the OG, it gets confusing.  I really like the Oncore Elixr... like alot.  Do they make their own ball?  I know they have an Elixr X on the way and I hope that its a new ball and not just a rebadge that someone else is selling under another name but I have no clue.  I love the Elixr though. 

I think I can say with some confidence that no DTC brand "makes" their own ball and very few do much to design their own golf ball.

Snell is the best in the DTC business in this regard - Dean Snell is heavily involved in the design and works closely with his manufacturers. Not sure who would be second.

Most DTC brands simply purchase a white label ball and stamp it with their own stuff. Some might work a little more closely with the ball plant to suggest design changes, but leave all of the actual design work and production to the manufacturer.

Anyone here is free to correct me if I have any of this wrong, but based on the information I've seen from MGS and numerous other sources, this what I've found so far.

4 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I think I can say with some confidence that no DTC brand "makes" their own ball and very few do much to design their own golf ball.

Snell is the best in the DTC business in this regard - Dean Snell is heavily involved in the design and works closely with his manufacturers. Not sure who would be second.

Most DTC brands simply purchase a white label ball and stamp it with their own stuff. Some might work a little more closely with the ball plant to suggest design changes, but leave all of the actual design work and production to the manufacturer.

Anyone here is free to correct me if I have any of this wrong, but based on the information I've seen from MGS and numerous other sources, this what I've found so far.

I also believe this to be true.  I'm just wondering if Oncore is closer to Snell or closer to Vice/Cut?  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

9 minutes ago, SmoothG said:

I also believe this to be true.  I'm just wondering if Oncore is closer to Snell or closer to Vice/Cut?  

Probably closer to Vice/Cut. In fact, I think Elixer used the same white label ball as the Vice Pro at some point in time.