txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

26 minutes ago, cnosil said:

1000 as standard???? Sea level should be standard, the city I live in is 14.76 feet. I think we need to start qualifying distance numbers with sea level qualification. emoji12.png

Well I play in Minnesota, so that's my standard

36 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

i think MGS is actually proving this is be very inaccurate. That's the whole point of the ball testing they are doing.  That mindset may turn out to be old school thinking.

It might effect our scores, but we'd never know. If 1 out of 100 balls hooks into the trees, I'm not going to blame the ball, I'll blame my swing. It's probably lost and the next ball will be fine. As long as no one knew the number of bad balls and it was too small for a single golfer to notice it didn't hurt their brand. that may be changing though.

I am really loving this discussion right now as I am sitting here at work just wasting time until I get to tee of with my foursome at 5:30!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

i think MGS is actually proving this is be very inaccurate. That's the whole point of the ball testing they are doing.  That mindset may turn out to be old school thinking.

Quality goes down the further one gets from the whole process is what they talked about in the latest video. 

Its also more than just the process of constructing the ball that comes into play, the qc process is just as big.  The number of people titleist employees just in the ball department is staggering. Iirc it’s at least double what Callaway has. They also have 90 different checks for the prov1 and 120 for the prov1x.

1 hour ago, arbeck said:

It might effect our scores, but we'd never know. If 1 out of 100 balls hooks into the trees, I'm not going to blame the ball, I'll blame my swing. It's probably lost and the next ball will be fine. As long as no one knew the number of bad balls and it was too small for a single golfer to notice it didn't hurt their brand. that may be changing though.

agreed....but if you listen to their video, they are saying the issue may be more widespread than anyone realizes....off center cores WILL cause you to hit it off target.  We'll have to wait and see what comes out of this test. It COULD be a HUGE industry shaking test for all manufacturers outside of Bridgestone, Srixon and Titleist.....we'll have to wait and see

• Like 1

agreed....but if you listen to their video, they are saying the issue may be more widespread than anyone realizes....off center cores WILL cause you to hit it off target.  We'll have to wait and see what comes out of this test. It COULD be a HUGE industry shaking test for all manufacturers outside of Bridgestone, Srixon and Titleist.....we'll have to wait and see

Thus my concerns about range practice. Best we can do on the range is foot spray for center contact. If the problem with game balls is bad, just imagine the range balls! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So does anyone know of a place online that sells 3 ball sleeves?  I can't find any and I would love to try out the different tour balls, but I hate the thought of spending $40+ per dozen just to "try it out".

15 minutes ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

So does anyone know of a place online that sells 3 ball sleeves?  I can't find any and I would love to try out the different tour balls, but I hate the thought of spending $40+ per dozen just to "try it out".

Check with golf courses some sell 3 packs 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

PGA superstore sells 3 ball packs

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

You can usually get just about any sleeve of balls on ebay.  

17 hours ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

Golf Galaxy and my local golf store sells 3 ball packs and will even break a dozen if that is all you want to buy.   They even have 3 packs by the register.  

Very interesting!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sixcat said:

Very interesting!

I’m still struggling to understand what MGS was after by showing this... I’ve long assumed that Vice probably purchased a white label ball and marked it as their own (though their comments on Insta show they are committed to convincing everyone that they actually design their golf balls). Anyway, as long as they perform well (and all of the testing MGS has done says they do) then what’s the problem? As far as I’m aware neither Monsta nor Rife are still making golf balls. Regardless, it’s interesting to see how this has been done in the golf industry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I’m still struggling to understand what MGS was after by showing this... I’ve long assumed that Vice probably purchased a white label ball and marked it as their own (though their comments on Insta show they are committed to convincing everyone that they actually design their golf balls). Anyway, as long as they perform well (and all of the testing MGS has done says they do) then what’s the problem? As far as I’m aware neither Monsta nor Rife are still making golf balls. Regardless, it’s interesting to see how this has been done in the golf industry.

The insinuation is Vice is hardly the only company faking their golf ball design while white labeling the exact same ball.  It stands to reason that if Costco can purchase the same balls from a nondescript manufacturer and sell them for $12 a dozen, why pay Vice $24?   

Watch this video from the 2:00 mark for about 45 seconds.

Very interested in the results of this new 'Find It, Cut It' campaign.

There has been a bit of a surge in new golf balls over the past few years (Volvik, Snell, Vice, kirkland, etc) so it will be interesting to see who develops their own ball or who contracts their work out to facilities.

But for the consumer this will be great! I have no problem if they find out that Nitro is the same ball as a ProV1x. Guess I'll save like $40! (probably a long shot on that one)  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

The insinuation is Vice is hardly the only company faking their golf ball design while white labeling the exact same ball.  It stands to reason that if Costco can purchase the same balls from a nondescript manufacturer and sell them for $12 a dozen, why pay Vice $24?   

Watch this video from the 2:00 mark for about 45 seconds.

Good point. I was able to find the Rife E-Motion ball on RockBottomGolf for $10, but Monsta is no more as far as I can tell. A quick Google search for Monsta Golf did turn up a Golf Digest article covering the lawsuit Acushnet filed against several companies for this golf ball. I’d be curious to see which of them are still going and what price they offer the ball for.

15 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Good point. I was able to find the Rife E-Motion ball on RockBottomGolf for $10, but Monsta is no more as far as I can tell. A quick Google search for Monsta Golf did turn up a Golf Digest article covering the lawsuit Acushnet filed against several companies for this golf ball. I’d be curious to see which of them are still going and what price they offer the ball for.

I have long suspected the old Hogan Apex ball is the exact same as the MG ball.  I could be wrong but I don't believe I am.  I have also wondered if some of these balls that have come out in recent years are the old Strata design rebranded.  It would be very simple for some random factory in China to continue to produce the ball even though Strata no longer exists in the form it did when rubber core, multilayer balls first came out.  

I feel like people forget, Strata was the first ball with this type of construction to hit the market. 

• Like 2

... If a company lies about their involvement in golf ball research, development and design ... what else are they misleading us about? Of paramount importance for me,  they have zero input over quality control as they are just ordering balls from a catalog and they get what they get. I want to play a golf ball that goes thru QC and also want to reward companies that actually put in the work, which is always more expensive. If I am buying DTC, I will gladly pay Snell more than Vice or Cut because Dean Snell has put in the work to make sure his ball is the best ball he can make in both performance and quality. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... If a company lies about their involvement in golf ball research, development and design ... what else are they misleading us about? Of paramount importance for me,  they have zero input over quality control as they are just ordering balls from a catalog and they get what they get. I want to play a golf ball that goes thru QC and also want to reward companies that actually put in the work, which is always more expensive. If I am buying DTC, I will gladly pay Snell more than Vice or Cut because Dean Snell has put in the work to make sure his ball is the best ball he can make in both performance and quality. 

I'm looking forward to the #FindItCutIt campaign Tony is kicking off for the sole purpose of seeing how Snell QC stacks up.  I have never considered any of the other DTC balls as real contenders to go into my bag.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

I'm looking forward to the #FindItCutIt campaign Tony is kicking off for the sole purpose of seeing how Snell QC stacks up.  I have never considered any of the other DTC balls as real contenders to go into my bag.  

... I hate trashing anyone unless it is absolutely deserved but those Cut Blues I received were without a doubt the worst balls I have ever seen. I posted pictures of how poor the QC was and even the ones that looked good to the naked eye were shaved and cut by my very first wedge shot and unplayable. I like tying new products for reference sake as well as simple curiosity but those Cut balls cured me of any curiosity when it comes to DTC brands.