ole gray

Favorite Putter Design

Our Sponsors

On 6/6/2019 at 5:09 PM, chisag said:

... If a picture is worth a thousand words, here is 5,000 words worth of putters:

putters.jpg.4a1e676460e4400b1021807e13cba0dc.jpg

Who is the manufacturer for each of those?   I really like the one on the left;  I am assuming that is the bobby grace that you have in the bag since it is shafted. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/4/2019 at 5:43 AM, ED13 said:

I like the look of a mid mallet at address.  A middle ground of the Ping Anser I started with and a full mallet.  If I keep 3 putting this year I may switch back to my old Mizuno black carbon made by Bettinardi.  Always had good distance control with that putter.

I used to have an Odyssey White Hot #7 back in high school, unfortunately that got stolen with the rest of my bag. But I replaced it with the Mizuno Black Carbon BC1, and I love it. For how nice they are i am surprised they are not more common.

Driver - Titleist 983K 9.5* - Titleist 4560 S-Flex Shaft

2 Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

4-9 Irons - Taylormade R7TP True Temper X-100 Shafts

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - Mizuno/Bettinardi Black Carbon BC1

Ball - Jack Nicklaus Black

Rossie (flow) or #7 style (mine is a Cleveland Frontline slant neck), both with about 35 degree toe hang.

Screenshot 2020-07-20 09.35.29.png

Screenshot 2020-07-20 09.34.49.png

My favorite putter style is the Ping Zing.  I have putted very well historically with this style.  I gamed a Ping Zing from 1992 through 1997.  I gamed a Cameron Inspired by Brad Faxon from 2002 through 2006.  I am currently gaming a Byron Morgan Epic Day custom long pipe since September 2014.  There is something about the weighting and balance, especially the toe weighting that allows me to naturally release the putter when striking the ball.  I do not have to manipulate my hands or stroke to put a great roll on the ball.  All I have to do is focus on line and speed and the rest is auto pilot.

Epic Day 1.jpg

Epic Day new_1.JPG

Epic Day 4.jpg

Epic Day 3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Always was, is, and always will be the 8802 style.  Once in a while I will try something different just for kicks, but always come back to the 8802 style. Such a simple design.  So easy to look at behind the ball, and rolls it so smooth.  Great distance control.  I own 4 different models.

I used to be an 8802 guy. I putted with an original 8813 for years. Back in the late 70s I won a Ping Anser. I tried it and never switched back to the 8802 style. A Scotty Newport (which actually copied the Anser) followed from the mid 80s until around 2008. I then bought an Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 because it looked like the Scotty/Anser but had an insert. It's still in my bag today. Putting is the strongest part of my game and though I occasionally try other putters they all look like my original Anser.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Basically if it has a round neck and a sight dot, I am probably going to dig it whether it's 8802, anser, or other style. I have always pulled more putts with the traditional sight lines and the sight dots seem to help prevent that. With mallets I can't control my distances, though I haven't tried any of the newer small-ish and toe hanging models.

Most recently I have been drooling over the TP Mills Fleetwood. I love the higher toe look (which my gamer SC Hollywood also has), and the fact that it is a bit wider front to back than a standard anser style blade (with maybe higher MOI as well?).

TP T.P. MILLS Fleetwood Proto Putter 35" RH GSS - $599.00 | PicClick 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairway:   :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 15* w/ Atmos Black 7X 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 19* w/ Tensei White 90  

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

On 5/31/2019 at 6:56 AM, ole gray said:

What is your all time favorite putter head design?   For me I may change now and then however I always go back to the #7 design.  Feels good, looks comfortable to my eye, and provides confidence.

#7 for me

ALL TIME: #12 TP Mills is my all time favorite design for a blade followed closely by a copper Ping Anser. So many of the other more popular/famous companies have copied those designs. Kinda like the Anser/Ping has been copied by just about everyone. Not intended to be negative just pointing out a couple of classic, timeless designs that are well respected that serve as a design template if you will for many of the putters available since those were created. 

Other all time designs based on type:

Odyssey #9 and Bobby Grace 18 Blade, Ping Shea, and Scotty Cameron Go-Lo #3 are my favorite "mid mallet" styles all time. 

Odyssey #7 for  my full size mallet all time.

And 8802 in its own category, just love a classic 8802 (Wilson) and Bobby Grace has his version, Macgregor Iron Masters. This is my favorite style for fast hard breaking bent grass greens. 

• Like 1

My current favorite is the Scotty Cameron Phantom X12. I must have tried 20 putters when I settled on it, it lines up well and gives me a lot of confidence. I've always wanted to like the classic blade putters like the Newport but I can never line them up well... 

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Tensei Orange 

:taylormade-small: R11 TP 5 wood, Project X

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

I was never comfortable with blade putters beginning with my Putt-Putt miniature golf days.  Mallet putters were a definite improvement and my first was a Dunlop BC-1 Blue Collar that was a definite improvement to my game.

Soon after I acquired the Dunlop, I came across my current putter that replaced the Dunlop as soon as I tried it as it worked for me.  The Pinemeadow Z-ON M1.

My kids liked the Dunlop and I was fortunate to find another one with slightly different grip design that was perfect for them to not get them confused until they had their own golf bags to keep everything in.  Kids as they are had no problem choking down on the grips until they were taller.

Dunlop Putter 3 (2).jpg

Dunlop Putter 1 (2).jpg

Dunlop Putter 5 (2).jpg

putter bottom (2).jpg

putter side (2).jpg

putter top (2).jpg

Edited by EasyPutter
grammar

Verified Hack, 30 handicap (for now) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: Driving with O'Donnell 10 on tee, 3wTaylorMade M3, hybrids O'Donnell (10, 15, 19, 27 loft), trouble club Ginty (29 loft)

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Confidence 9i, Worx hybrid wedge (55 loft), Lovett hybrid wedge (59 loft)

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   |> Ball: Nitro Crossfire   |> App: SwingU/Looper 

CoverLogoS-H c sm.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️              EPLogo sm.jpg

My favorite putter designs are either a Ping Anser style by any manufacturer or a mallet with a long site line.

Both need to be able to scoop up a ball so, no spider, two ball, ketch, or bullseye styles work for me. 

I haven't really found a putter I couldn't putt with. I am currently gaming an Evnroll ER8 because it has a nice long site line. I play a Ping Anser bronze manganese from way back on some show executive courses because it is lighter.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I have played an Anser since I started but I enjoy the look of a #7 style, or Tyne if sticking with a Ping. Just always thought the look was good. One of these days I'll pick one up and give it a go.

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

Ping Craz-e

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino