#NoPuttsGiven Ep5 - Wilson, Titleist Irons, Music

#NoPuttsGiven Ep5  

588 members have voted

1. 1. Is Wilson Back?

• Yes
    • No
    • We'll See
    • Don't call it a comeback
  2. 2. Do you like the look of the new Titleist irons?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Is music on the course ok?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, howellhandmade said:

I’m puzzled by the strong response in favor of music on the course. Two-thirds listen to music on the course themselves? Two-thirds don’t mind having to listen to other peoples’ music while playing? In theory, if I can’t hear your music it doesn’t exist so I don’t mind. In practice, just about everyone who feels that a round of golf is lacking without tunes seems to leave the volume on 11 and it pisses me right off. It’s noise pollution: self-indulgent, anti-social, the golf equivalent of rolling coal. 

I don’t even know what that last part means.  

But I have a feeling a lot more people listen to music then you realize.  They keep it at a reasoable level.  The volume 11 whatever that is—but it must be high since you complained—-is a true rarity. 

I ride our course backwards several times a week.  When i hear groups with music, its only after i have pulled right up to their cart   I didnt hear it from 59 yards away, let alone 2 fairways over  

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

6 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

But I have a feeling a lot more people listen to music then you realize.  They keep it at a reasoable level.  The volume 11 whatever that is—but it must be high since you complained—-is a true rarity. 

I ride our course backwards several times a week.  When i hear groups with music, its only after i have pulled right up to their cart   I didnt hear it from 59 yards away, let alone 2 fairways over  

I was kind of amazed at how many Bluetooth speakers I saw in carts last week at a scramble I played in. Yet I didn't hear music once out on the course, and we're talking 4 carts on each hole minimum on a fairly tight course. 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

I walked up on a 3some last weekend and the music was blaring...middle aged (same as me) guys too.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 3-5 years courses will have new golf carts with bluetooth enabled speakers integrated in them.... 

G410 LST | SpeedZone Big Tour | TM Sim Max 5 | Titleist 818 H2 | Z785 | ZipCore | Exotics DG-1.3

9 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

All right, I’ll explain the last part. “Rolling coal” is when drivers of diesel pickups modify their fuel systems in order to purposely emit large clouds of sooty exhaust. If you search YouTube there are plenty of illustrations; a favorite pastime of coal rollers is to get in front of, say, a Prius and engulf it. 

Turned up to 11 is a reference to the movie Spinal Tap, I suppose I’m dating myself one direction or the other.

What you say about more people listening to music than I realize may very well be true. Or it may be that the golfers at your course are somewhat more considerate than the ones at mine. Or that the topography of your course better isolates holes acoustically. There have been rounds where the group in front or behind mine played music that was only inaudible when the course put several hundred yards or a hill between us. All of which is moot if we agree that music that IS loud enough to reach (and annoy) other groups, no matter how common or uncommon it is, qualifies as bad manners.

As with many things, there is a line: alcohol on the course, fine. Becoming intoxicated and obnoxious, not fine. Enjoying the social aspect of a round of golf, fine. Letting a gap open up and refusing to let faster groups through, not fine. At least, that’s what I think. I suppose what constitutes a reasonable volume level, or degree of intoxication, or pace of play, is subjective and personal. Slow players never think they are slow, misbehaving drunks just think they’re entitled to have a little fun, and so with music.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, howellhandmade said:

All right, I’ll explain the last part. “Rolling coal” is when drivers of diesel pickups modify their fuel systems in order to purposely emit large clouds of sooty exhaust. If you search YouTube there are plenty of illustrations; a favorite pastime of coal rollers is to get in front of, say, a Prius and engulf it. 

Turned up to 11 is a reference to the movie Spinal Tap, I suppose I’m dating myself one direction or the other.

What you say about more people listening to music than I realize may very well be true. Or it may be that the golfers at your course are somewhat more considerate than the ones at mine. Or that the topography of your course better isolates holes acoustically. There have been rounds where the group in front or behind mine played music that was only inaudible when the course put several hundred yards or a hill between us. All of which is moot if we agree that music that IS loud enough to reach (and annoy) other groups, no matter how common or uncommon it is, qualifies as bad manners.

As with many things, there is a line: alcohol on the course, fine. Becoming intoxicated and obnoxious, not fine. Enjoying the social aspect of a round of golf, fine. Letting a gap open up and refusing to let faster groups through, not fine. At least, that’s what I think. I suppose what constitutes a reasonable volume level, or degree of intoxication, or pace of play, is subjective and personal. Slow players never think they are slow, misbehaving drunks just think they’re entitled to have a little fun, and so with music.

Well said!  Couldn't agree more...  

Not looking to take the fun out of things (or be mister get-off-my-lawn) but have some respect for other people and it's all good.

• Like 2

G410 LST | SpeedZone Big Tour | TM Sim Max 5 | Titleist 818 H2 | Z785 | ZipCore | Exotics DG-1.3

11 hours ago, howellhandmade said:

Ah. Thanks for the explanation on both.  I've seen the trucks your talking about, but didn't know the term.   And While I'm squareky in the age demographic of Spinal Tap, it wasn't on my radar. 

You make a solid point about a line with everything.  Matter of fact I see plenty more issues with abuse of alcohol on our course than the music.  But I guess it varies from course to course. 

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

10 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ah. Thanks for the explanation on both.  I've seen the trucks your talking about, but didn't know the term.   And While I'm squareky in the age demographic of Spinal Tap, it wasn't on my radar. 

You make a solid point about a line with everything.  Matter of fact I see plenty more issues with abuse of alcohol on our course than the music.  But I guess it varies from course to course. 

Agreed. I'd rather a couple of carts roll up behind us who are blaring music than a group of drunks who think it's hilarious to hit into us and scream that they're gonna come kick our butts when we turn around and glare at them. 

I love music.  I've spent more on stereo equipment & music than the GDP of some third world nations. But the golf course, to me, is the last place to find peace & quiet. After a long hectic week of work there is nothing more peaceful than walking up a fairway to a green with the sun on your face, the wind blowing through the tree tops and the bird singing. I just don't want to hear someone's music, cell phone ringing or talking on your phone. Sorry, call me a "get off my lawn guy" if you want, I'm okay with that.

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 54* Versatile/60* Widelow

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

• 2 weeks later...

I.m older...been called cranky, lol....definitely a traditionalist......Wilson..maybe good for Wilson.....Titleist new irons look good....music on the course...is that even a question...save the music for a night club, beach or a concert....correct I voted NO !!!!!!!!!

• Like 3
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

On 6/19/2019 at 11:21 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Music ... I don't mind it... when I'm playing by myself and walking I'll turn on music on my phone while I'm walking along and keep the volume low enough so I'm the only one who hears it.
I kind of relate it to music in your car... as long as you can respect the other people around you then go for it.  Just like the dude that "rocks his bass" in the car with the windows down at 800 decibels, don't come rolling up on me with your UA BOOM blasting... have some respect for the people around you.

You see... that's the problem isn't it?  Everyone thinks they are "keeping the volume low enough so I'm the only one who hears it."

How do you know that?  My course has many fairways that are adjacent with few trees and little to stop sound except grassy mounds.  I can be on the right side of my fairway, and the someone can be on the right side of the adjacent fairway only 25 yards away, and we can't see each other, but I can hear music.  

Even when music is set pretty low, about the same level as a quiet conversation between two people in a cart, it can be annoying.  My wife backed off a shot 3 times on Sunday because two guys in a cart that we were playing with 25 yards away wouldn't stop talking.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I fear music is going to more of an issue now that my course just received a new fleet of rental carts with 2 USB ports for power to electronics.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

21 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

You see... that's the problem isn't it?  Everyone thinks they are "keeping the volume low enough so I'm the only one who hears it."

How do you know that?  My course has many fairways that are adjacent with few trees and little to stop sound except grassy mounds.  I can be on the right side of my fairway, and the someone can be on the right side of the adjacent fairway only 25 yards away, and we can't see each other, but I can hear music.  

Even when music is set pretty low, about the same level as a quiet conversation between two people in a cart, it can be annoying.  My wife backed off a shot 3 times on Sunday because two guys in a cart that we were playing with 25 yards away wouldn't stop talking.  

Yeah... I pause it when I get within 25 yards of people so they can't hear it.... when I'm walking down the middle of the fwy and nobody is around me I'll play it but I don't want to ruin anyone enjoying their round.

I also won't play it if I'm paired with anyone.  I'd just rather turn it off.

If folks find it that important to listen to music at all times while they're playing they make those bluetooth headphones that are just like earplugs now....

• Like 1

If folks find it that important to listen to music at all times while they're playing they make those bluetooth headphones that are just like earplugs now....

I’d rather run the risk of someone hearing my music 25 yards away than run the risk of taking a ball to the head because I had headphones in and didn’t hear someone yell FORE.

For the record, I don’t listen to music but I have no problem with those who do. I’d rather hear someone’s music than someone’s constant barrage of f-bombs and off color “humor” from the next fairway, which has happened more times than I can count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/3/2019 at 2:08 PM, russtopherb said:

I’d rather run the risk of someone hearing my music 25 yards away than run the risk of taking a ball to the head because I had headphones in and didn’t hear someone yell FORE.

For the record, I don’t listen to music but I have no problem with those who do. I’d rather hear someone’s music than someone’s constant barrage of f-bombs and off color “humor” from the next fairway, which has happened more times than I can count.

Perhaps a bit of availability heuristic at work here, but it seems that loud music and whooping and hollering tend to go together.

Perhaps a bit of availability heuristic at work here, but it seems that loud music and whooping and hollering tend to go together.

Not in my experience, unfortunately. I’ve heard plenty of hooting and hollering from drunken idiots who don’t have radios, and I’ve heard plenty of disgusting language from people who wouldn’t be caught dead on the course with a Bluetooth speaker since they have no idea what they are.

Yes they are back in the mix , they have battled thru all the years as many other brands have falling to the wayside and it's paying off starting with Gary and his win..The quality is there and this win will surely draw attention with more wins to come from the young lions they have on staff..