Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Strokes gained

Can someone explain strokes gained to me?  When I look at the testing data these days I can't figure out how one club ranks higher than the others.  What are the key factors that go into the data?  Because when I compare the raw data in the spread sheets you give us I can't figure out how say the Wilson D7 is the best iron in it's category and the 0311 gen 3 is near the worst.  The raw stats given are nearly indistinguishable.  I only play clubs I have been fit for but I still enjoy looking at your findings.  I just wish I could understand the data.

Edited by Mackdaddy9
I want to know how they apply it to club ranking not the general principle!

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Sounds like you are taking about the strokes gained numbers on the most wanted testing.

Strokes gained is a comparison against a baseline.

Basically a middle performance number is determined based on how all clubs performed. if a club performs better it gets a positive strokes gained that increases the better the performance. The worse it performs the lower the number.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

5 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

If you’re wanting to understand strokes gained in general, not just how they use it in most wanted testing, I highly recommend reading Mark Broadies book, Every Shot Counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a cliff notes version? Or a YouTube video?

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Sure. ... strokes gained is a comparison of how you play against others. Statistics were collected on how many strokes it took to get the ball in the hole from various distances. If you do it in less you gained strokes if you do it in more you lose strokes.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Sure. ... strokes gained is a comparison of how you play against others. Statistics were collected on how many strokes it took to get the ball in the hole from various distances. If you do it in less you gained strokes if you do it in more you lose strokes.

Smirk, not exactly what I meant. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

It's not a long book and it's well worth the read, imo. Mark Crossfield has several videos examining strokes gained as well.

There are readily available simplified explanations of it that can be found with a quick Google search. The basics are as cnosil said. It compiles the average strokes needed to finish out a hole based on yardage and lie and can be broken down throughout different skill levels. It allows you to then compare different aspects of your game against people of your own skill level or better to see where you're gaining or losing strokes to those people. Strokes Gained as a metric is broken down into Off the Tee play, Approach play, Around the Green play, and Putting play. You may also see Strokes Gained: Total which is just a sum of all of those categories, or Strokes Gained: Tee to Green which is a sum of the first 3 categories.

An example of Strokes Gained is as follows.

A 400 yard hole off the tee takes 3.99 strokes on average for a Tour Pro. Player A drives the ball 330 yards off the tee into the rough. Player B drives the ball 280 yards into the fairway.

Player A's Strokes Gained: Off the Tee
The average strokes to hole out from 70 yards in the rough is 2.93. Player A has gained 0.06 of a stroke compared to the baseline from his tee shot.

Player B's Strokes Gained: Off the Tee
The average strokes to hole out from 120 yards in the fairway is 2.85. Player B has gained 0.14 of a stroke compared to the baseline from his tee shot.

This idea continues for Approach play, Around the Green play, and Putting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE