Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Strategic club swapping in the top end of your bag?

Do you swap anything in/out on the top end of your bag?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you swap anything in/out on the top end of your bag?

• Yes. I have multiple clubs of the same loft that I will strategically swap in/out
    • No. My set is my set and it's what I use all of the time
    • Huh? dude, what are you talking about?
    • Hmmmm.... that's a good idea. I might try that.

With me lately it has been a lot of experimenting on the top end with all health wise going on with me. But I am regaining swing speed and realized it this week, Did a Max change on the top end pulled out the 2 hybrids because I can get more out out of the 19* 5 wood than the 19* hybrid. I also seem to get a little more out of the 5 & 6 irons with the shaft and head combo. I am only carrying 12 clubs so if I am playing a different course I can add the 21* 7 wood on the top if needed and the old Zing 2 60* if I need a SW for fluffy greenside traps. But I am not one to carry un needed clubs because it opens me up to indecision. The 12 I have I can scrap it around my course fine. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 2/22/2021 at 6:44 PM, MaxEntropy said:

With the terrible inconsistency of my driver, I have been known to swap in my old Callaway 3W in the driver slot - it is a bit longer than the Bridgestone 3W, but a bit less accurate. Once I buy @MattF's M5 and I figure out which of the two shafts works better for me, all my driving woes will be over, right? 🤣

I don't know on the M-5 but I am loving my M-6 it is a straight cannon for me. Love the head shaft combo with the Twisted Sister face that thing feels like butter to me. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

10 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

Interesting responses....

One other thing I hadn't thought of - does anyone ever swap shafts in/out of a head?

All the time of course I am the tinkerer king and love to experiment with combos of shafts etc. 

G

I've occasionally tinkered with putting a hybrid in the bag instead of the 2 iron but the idea never lasts long when I hit the course. 

When it rears its ugly head my swing fault just doesn't fit well with a hybrid where as I can get away with it on an iron. 

For awhile I was prepared to swap back and forth between a driving iron and a hybrid for tournaments based on the course and whether it was going to be used mostly from the fairway or the tee. After awhile I started finding myself just not hitting the hybrid at a tournament level so I have retired the idea for the foreseeable future. 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

One other thing I hadn't thought of - does anyone ever swap shafts in/out of a head?
I've used a driver shaft in a heavenwood. 230 yard 20 degree fairway wood. Smooth, easy swing crushed it...but it could get whippy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This is one were I thought I was being so smart - I had my winter top end and my summer top end - winter, 5 iron, hybrid, hybrid, 3 wood - summer 5 hybrid, 4 hybrid, 3 wood - just brilliant.

Until I got on a launch monitor and had ARCOSS demonstrate how absolutely inept I was with every single one of those clubs - instead I now game 9 w, 7 w, 5 w - the gapping is perfect, I hit 5 w just as far as 3 w only with the proper trajectory and height.  Before I'd eye ball 185, hit 4 hybrid and almost always be hole high somewhere around the green - tack man revealed that I was carrying it 160 and it was rolling out to around 182.  I carry 7 wood 178 and it rolls out to 185.

I think it's worth considering changes at the top of the bag based on course conditions but you should carefully consider whether or not you are getting bang for the buck when you change.  If you're new here you might consider reading the Ping long game gapping thread from two years ago.  It was an eye opener for all of us.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 2/25/2021 at 9:44 AM, StrokerAce said:

I know a guy who swaps between stiff and regular depending on the wind. I’m very unsure as to the science behind it, but I think his theory is to swing easier when it’s windy. Only in his driver, so I assume he always swings his irons the same🤔

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

14 hours ago, revkev said:

This is one were I thought I was being so smart - I had my winter top end and my summer top end - winter, 5 iron, hybrid, hybrid, 3 wood - summer 5 hybrid, 4 hybrid, 3 wood - just brilliant.

Until I got on a launch monitor and had ARCOSS demonstrate how absolutely inept I was with every single one of those clubs - instead I now game 9 w, 7 w, 5 w - the gapping is perfect, I hit 5 w just as far as 3 w only with the proper trajectory and height.  Before I'd eye ball 185, hit 4 hybrid and almost always be hole high somewhere around the green - tack man revealed that I was carrying it 160 and it was rolling out to around 182.  I carry 7 wood 178 and it rolls out to 185.

I think it's worth considering changes at the top of the bag based on course conditions but you should carefully consider whether or not you are getting bang for the buck when you change.  If you're new here you might consider reading the Ping long game gapping thread from two years ago.  It was an eye opener for all of us.

Well said as SOP for you anyhow. Yep us older guys we do not have the SS anymore to elevate a 3 wood and we are better off with a 5 wood or a higher lofted what I call a 4 wood @ 16*. Yep it took me a long time to turn back the man card and admit it but it is true. I have really learned it in the last year or so with my injury. You have known me a long time on here and would you ever think you would see me with CBs and graphite shafts plus a Gap wedge in the bag? Yep my Signature is a long departure from what it used to be. Oh when I heal up again I will play the old stuff some for kicks and giggles. But at this stage I had to change or quit because it had became a painful struggle to try to play.

G