Strategic club swapping in the top end of your bag?

Do you swap anything in/out on the top end of your bag?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you swap anything in/out on the top end of your bag?

• Yes. I have multiple clubs of the same loft that I will strategically swap in/out
    • No. My set is my set and it's what I use all of the time
    • Huh? dude, what are you talking about?
    • Hmmmm.... that's a good idea. I might try that.

Our Sponsors

We all love golf and love golf clubs...that's a given.

Most people seem to stick with a single set of irons...at least for a while.

Some people have one or more "backup" putters that get swapped in/out based upon how their current putter is behaving.

A majority of us find a driver and stick with it.

That leaves the top end....

How many of you swap out a long iron, hybrid, 5 wood, etc. based on strategy/course being played/current weather conditions, etc.?
Do you stick with what you've got through thick-and-thin or do you have any 'spare' clubs at the same/similar lofts  in the top end of your bag that you will switch in and out on occasion?

Driving Irons Are Great...For Tour Players - The GOLFTEC Scramble

• Like 9

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | SC Newport 3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We all love golf and love golf clubs...that's a given. Most people seem to stick with a single set of irons...at least for a while. Some people have one or more "backup" putters that get swa

I’m in a bind with my 3W/4H/4iron i bought the 3W for realistically when I don’t hit driver well....but when will I know if I’m not hitting it well until I get to the course? my double 4s ar

With the terrible inconsistency of my driver, I have been known to swap in my old Callaway 3W in the driver slot - it is a bit longer than the Bridgestone 3W, but a bit less accurate. Once I buy @Matt

It would take a pretty extraordinary set of circumstances in terms of course or weather for me to swap out clubs.

That said, I suppose I've done a variation of this: I've kept a club in my bag that has its place almost entirely because it's useful on the tee of one of the holes of the course that I play virtually all my golf on.

• Like 7

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:adams-small: XTD Proto dHy 21°, Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

I swapped out a 2h, 3h and 5h.  Put in a 5wood and 7 wood and kept a 4 h. 

• Like 3

Tommy Armour TA -1 driver

Callaway 4 wood

Ping 7 wood

Tommy Armour 4h

STi-2 irons 6-GW

Cleveland 52 & 54 wedges

Ray Cook  silver ray

This will be the first season where I bought a club specifically for the option of "swapping out."

My Sub70 4 iron (21.5° at 38.5"), Callaway Epic Flash 4 hybrid (20°-23° at 40") and a 2016 Cobra KING Utility (not built yet, but planning to do 18.5° at 39.5") will all be available as my 14th club at the top end of my bag. Most of my rounds are played on my home course and in the morning when it's wet, so I do not plan on carrying the KING Utility much, if at all, while playing there and will set the Epic Flash at 20 degrees. However, I also spend some time playing a links-style course with firmer and tighter fairways where the KING Utility will probably take the place of the 4 iron, while I'll loft the Epic Flash hybrid up to 22 or 23 degrees to take the place of the 4 iron.

I'm really trying to setup my bag so that every club has a purpose this season. I used to always carry a driving iron type of club, but found I hardly used it on my home course. So by creating the opportunity to swap a club out, I'm kept that promise to myself to always set the bag up so that every club will have a defined role.

• Like 7

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.5 (Last Updated March 13, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

If I played competitively at a range of courses with differing conditions, I would think about taking out my 16* hybrid and substituting a driving iron style club (something like a SIM UDI or Callaway XForged UT) to better suit a particular course's conditions. I'd never put a fairway in because when I did my fittings, fairways have always launched too high for my liking and then lower loft ones go further than I want them to. I found that my 16* hybrid has an ideal launch window, but a distance that fits best with the rest of the bag.

With how I play golf now, 90%+ of my rounds are at one course, and weather doesn't have very large extremes where I play, so swapping is not a priority. I can totally see the value in it though.

• Like 6

:cobra-small:            Cobra F9 10.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

:srixon-small:                     H85 16° and 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

:mizuno-small:                    MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 51°, 8° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 55°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 59°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:yes-small:                        Tracy 33"

:srixon-small:                     ZStar XV

I’m in a bind with my 3W/4H/4iron

i bought the 3W for realistically when I don’t hit driver well....but when will I know if I’m not hitting it well until I get to the course?

my double 4s are a 19* for the hybrid and 21* for the metal.....strike both pretty well and have a decent yardage gap between (13 yards according to arccos) which is perfect. But I need a gap wedge at the bottom of the back (specifically 48*) so my conundrum is what’s got to get out?

I am leaning towards the wood because if I go play a tight course I could always throw the wood in there instead of driver.....but when the driver is on it’s as good if not better. Between those 3 clubs I think I’ll be keeping them and swapping in as needed. I guess long story short I pretty much stick to my bag but the next year or two could be a toss up idk yet. 

• Like 9

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

On The Bench:

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

With the terrible inconsistency of my driver, I have been known to swap in my old Callaway 3W in the driver slot - it is a bit longer than the Bridgestone 3W, but a bit less accurate. Once I buy @MattF's M5 and I figure out which of the two shafts works better for me, all my driving woes will be over, right? 🤣

• Like 9

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

Top end of my bag is pretty set;  I love my titleist hybrids and have no plans on getting anything to replace them or swap with them. 

• Like 7

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My current setup is Driver, 14 degree 3 wood, and 18 degree 5 wood. I also have a 17 degree 2 iron and a 4 iron bent to 19 degrees. The 2 iron hasn't been in play since last spring and recently got a new shaft, but hasn't even been hit due to winter. The 4 iron is great for tighter holes off the tee. I am not crazy about the ball flight on the 4 iron from the fairway and on my home course, there are only one or two of the par fives that this even comes into play. I hit a fairway wood for position on par fives; with three of them being 600+ from the back tees, I'm rarely getting home in 2 anyway. I should add that hybrids are not my friend. They only go left for me. 

I am toying with this: Adding a 21 degree fairway wood to come in higher as opposed to the 4 iron. Our greens are big and while they hold well, not so much coming in lower.

I can adjust the loft on the 3 wood to 16 degrees and since I hit it from the tee on only a couple of par 4's, I'm not giving up much.

It's really too early to tell until I get on the course for the spring and see if this setup is viable. My initial thought is get a wedge in my hand on the par 5's and make 4. 

I do play a couple of tournaments on other courses, where the above setup could be applicable too. 

I'm curious to see other thoughts on setup. 

• Like 7

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

I'm pretty set up there given my love/hate relationship with hybrids. I'll swap out the Mini Driver (ended last season with it in the bag) but for the most part I just stick with fairway woods.

• Like 6

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

I haven't used it on course yet, but I have a 3-iron now that I will mostly likely use for certain situations in place of my hybrid. There's a par 3 at a course I frequent where a stock hybrid is usually too much and 4 iron isn't quite enough, but a 3-iron would be just right.

• Like 6

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

13 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Once I buy @MattF's M5 and I figure out which of the two shafts works better for me, all my driving woes will be over, right? 🤣

Yes, but it won't be my fault if it doesn't happen that way!

• Like 4

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Well, I just got a new driver and I'm replacing my 3 hybrid, but they're both the same lofts as what they're replacing, so I'd say, no, I don't swap.

• Like 6

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have a 4i and a 23* hybrid that I exchange depending on the wind.  The 4i flies lower and I can work it a little so its a good wind club.  The 23*h flies high and likes going right to left all the time but can hold most any green.

• Like 4

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Callaway Mavrik 16.5* 4W, EvenFlow Riptide 6.0 S 70g;  Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Top end of the bag is on lock.  However, I can say in the past I've been one to flip clubs in and out depending on course conditions and what I was trying to do that day.  Can't say it helped me particularly, but that's a mindset I tried.  

• Like 6

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

This year will be the first I'll potentially be swapping out an 18° hybrid with an 18° driving iron, either because of wind/no wind or because I'll need more of a tight tee club or something to hit into longer par 5s.

The hybrid was in my bag all last year and I was pleased with its performance, but it was probably almost +75% used as a tee club. I'm hoping the driving iron will be an even more reliable tee option, and based off some preliminary swings from the off-season there's a chance the driving iron will beat out the hybrid entirely.

• Like 2

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-4)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50° & 54°): post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedge (60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

1 hour ago, MattF said:

Yes, but it won't be my fault when it doesn't happen that way!

Fixed it for you....

• Haha 2

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

I swapped out a 2 iron last summer for a 5 wood and could not be happier.  The 5w is so much easier to hit and a lot more forgiving.  To answer your question though, I do not swap out clubs depending on the course.  My 3w is the oldest club in my bag and I use it off the tee or off the turf and love it the same.  Sure I have good days with it and bad days but it's not going anywhere.  Same with the rest of my set.  It's the old saying (not politically correct here), "it's the arrow, not the indian."

• Like 5

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

Used to have a driving iron that would get out in for a few courses that were short and narrow to give me an option for playing to a distance. Don’t play those courses much anymore so top of the bag is set now

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I got a DI to help when my driver was amiss. That helped but realized it is a one trick pony for now (its been to wet out to try it from the deck). My driving game is getting back to where i want plus i just added a super hybrid, which could now be my safety club from the tee, replacing the DI. Now, i have thoughts of weakening the DI 2* and shortening the shaft (and maybe swap it to a KBS to make it more a 3 UI and then swap that out with my 3H depending on if it is windy that day. In reality, i really should just keep my 3H and sell the DI, although were is the fun in taking other clubs out to the course once in a while 😛 

• Like 5

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro 63. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos: