Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver Shaft Swap or New Stick?

GolfSpy AFG

So I currently game the Honma TR20 460 driver, which many of you will recall I was fortunate enough to be selected to test last year for MGS.  I loved it when testing it and I love it now...very forgiving driver, which the MGS 2021 Most Wanted Driver test validated in listing the TR20 as the most forgiving driver in the test:

image.png.d2077b4f1b9bd7e2034d4f23f4e118a9.png

My TR20 has a 50 gram stiff stock Vizard shaft, which is a mid-launch mid-spin shaft.  I received the club via a "phone fitting" due to COVID, but it's done well for me.

So, here's the thing.  Love this driver, however I also game a Tour Edge CBX 119 3 wood with a Project X Evenflow Blue 65 stiff shaft, also a mid/mid shaft.  I am consistently striping this 3 wood, to the point that off the tee it's a solid 270-275 club, and 250-260 off the deck.  (Those are total yardages.)  The problem is, off the tee that's basically as long as my driver...I'm regularly getting 255-265 in carry, 275-285 total.  

My 3 hybrid (TM SIM DHY) yardage is 230-235, so I'm comfortable with that gap between hybrid and 3 wood and don't believe stepping back to 4 wood is the answer.  I basically think I can and should be getting more from driver.  

I've looked at getting an Evenflow Blue driver shaft, and thanks to @PMookie I'm in the process of getting my hands on some Honma adapter sleeves to try and put that shaft in the TR20 and see what happens.  I know it's not the most exotic shaft in the world, but I clearly get along well with it...have it in a TS3 hybrid as well and I don't game it because it basically goes a little too far.

Or, I could maybe go all the way back to the drawing board and just get fit for a new driver.  I really don't want to do that from a cash standpoint, and I don't want to lose the forgiveness of the Honma.  

Or, I could try to get fit for other aftermarket options, but it's a Honma...not a ton of fitting carts in the area.  The Evenflow Blue is in stock up the road from me and I have gift cards...very much the easy option, and I've got enough experience under my belt to be optimistic it will work for me.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Any flaws in my thinking here?  

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

What is your current ball flight? Do you notice ballooning or limited roll out? Do you have any monitor numbers?

Its worth trying a new shaft. Buy at a price you think you could sell it for and you wont be in it much. At your speed, I wouldnt be surprised if you needed something heavier and stiffer. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

4 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

What is your current ball flight? Do you notice ballooning or limited roll out? Do you have any monitor numbers?

Its worth trying a new shaft. Buy at a price you think you could sell it for and you wont be in it much. At your speed, I wouldnt be surprised if you needed something heavier and stiffer. 

Thanks.  No ballooning.  Last time I was on a launch monitor I was getting launch around 14 and spin between 2000-2100...numbers I was happy with.  But when compared to the 3 wood on course, I've got to do something to get more.  And I suspect you're right in that the Honma Vizard shaft I'm in might be too light for me at this point.  I have done about a years worth of speed training since getting that club, after all.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

14 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Thanks.  No ballooning.  Last time I was on a launch monitor I was getting launch around 14 and spin between 2000-2100...numbers I was happy with.  But when compared to the 3 wood on course, I've got to do something to get more.  And I suspect you're right in that the Honma Vizard shaft I'm in might be too light for me at this point.  I have done about a years worth of speed training since getting that club, after all.

I was thinking you were losing distance because of too much spin, but if those numbers are correct that is not the case. If you are hitting the 3W 275, and with those driver launch conditions, the driver should be going 300+. 

When thinking about changing shafts, you should have some goal. Less spin, tighter dispersion, heavier profile. Sounds like you are just not getting ideal ball speed. That can be a little more complicated to figure out why. You might be better off getting fit again, or getting access to some demo shafts on a monitor. Maybe shaftshack.com 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!