• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes, depends on the course
  2. 2. What club did it replace?

• 4 iron or another long iron
    • Driving Iron
    • Hybrid
    • 5 wood
  3. 3. Why do you enjoy playing a 7 wood if you do?

• Consistency
    • Height
    • Forgiveness
    • Distance
    • Other - post in thread
  4. 4. What is the biggest strength of your 7 wood compared to the club it replaced?

• Consistency
    • Forgiveness
    • Height/Spin
    • Distance
    • Other - post in thread

I can't do the survey yet because my Cobra LTDx literally delivers today. Hoping it will replace my 4 iron.

2016 M1 10.5 Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 3W Aldila RIP Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 19° Matrix Radix S7 Stiff 
Ping i25 4i-PW KBS Stiff (soft-stepped)
Titleist SM7 52 8° F Stiff
Titleist SM7 56 8° M Stiff
Titleist SM7 60 4° L Stiff
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34" Superstroke Flatso 2.0
Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 grips
Snell MTB Red (Optic Yellow)
Powerbilt TPS Cabretta Tour Glove
Callaway RAZR Laser

Posted (edited)

Have had a #7 wood in and out of the 'line up' for 25+ years!  I was fortunate to have had  a lot of length throughout my playing career and #7 wood was the best option for a lot of second shots into par 5's, even back then. Now, at 72 years of age, and still decent clubhead speed for our age, I find it  is much easier to hit the #7 wood in lieu of #3wood and the #7 is way more accurate, and a lot more height, especially easier to play than say  a #3 or #4 iron, or even a hybrid....#3 wood is now much more difficult for me to get the desired height and the mishits often runs into trouble if even just slightly off line.  Even as a long hitter years ago, we found the #7 wood a great weapon, and so easy to play.  Currently playing a Mizuno ST MAX with a Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 S shaft ......love it even today for that second shot into longer par 5's that I cannot reach in two....great set-up shot for the approach shot into the green on those longer par 6's

Edited by SM Johnson

SMJohnsonPGALIFE, Pinehurst

Posted (edited)

I was finding my #2 Hybrid too inconsistent. I tried a Paradym 7 wood demo that was for sale at my local pro shop. Couldn't believe how easy it was to hit. Get more distance than the hybrid. Gets up quicker (when I need to get out of trouble), and (until the last 2 rounds...) was deadly straight. 

As to the questions in the survey, I couldn't distinguish between the qualities, as it has them all...

Edited by jimbom

image.png.7904ef1da946cb5c094b4d20ca18a369.png

Do I use a 7 wood.....?  OMG yes!!  And a 9 wood.....AND toying with the idea of building an 11 wood!!

IDK why the manufacturer's seem so determined to force hybrids on us....I've only had 1 or 2 (in the higher lofts, BTW) that I could hit consistently, but the higher lofted woods have kept me competitive, even at age 78.

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

I prefer the 3 Hybrid think it’s 21° of loft.  Never been able to hit fairway woods well and more consistent contact with my hybrids

Cobra Aerojet
Ping G425 2 Hybrid
Taylormade SIM Max irons and Hi-TOE wedges

Odyssey Triple Track TenS

I never wanted to even consider a 7wood for the longest time. Finally gave it a shot about 1.5 years ago and haven’t looked back. It is easily one of my favorite clubs in the bag now. So consistent and versatile. Seems like most hopped on the train, but if you haven’t, at least give it a go and see for yourself. I’m went with a Callaway Rogue ST Max 7w. 

Posted (edited)

I love my 7 Wood, it's the most consistent club in my bag. Great ball flight, soft landing on greens! Great Club!

Much easier to hit than any Hybrid I have tried. It is great in higher grass of off a smooth deck. Provides a much straighter flight than the Hybrids I have used which tend to draw for me.

Edited by JaredC

Absolutely love my Qi10 7 wood!  The ball jumps off the face of the club with a great ball flight.  Replaced my 4 hybrid and glad I did as I’m more consistent with the 7 wood. 

Cobra LTDX driver, Calloway Apex irons (6-AW), TSi2 3 wood, M6 5 wood, M2 hybrids (4,5), Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

I put a Calloway 7 wood in my bag . Easy to hit, great height and very consistent. I hit it 175 yards . Some days I find it better than my Hybrids to hit

Golf A Game For A Lifetime

I have been playing a 7 wood for about five years (a 9 wood as well). It is my club of choice for shots that need to fly long and stop quickly into a green. Usually from 200 to 220 yards. It is also handy for long fairway bunker shots if the lip of the bunker is low. 

WITB?

Vessel Player III golf bag

:callaway-logo-1: Callaway AI Smoke MAX driver with a Tour AD shaft

:callaway-logo-1: Callaway Paradym 3, 7 and 9 woods

:mizuno-small: Mizuno Pro irons with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

:titleist-small: Titleist Vokey SM9 wedges

:bettinardi-1: Bettinardi Queen B #15 putter

:Arccos:

3 hours ago, Dickytrill said:

Embarrassing yep, I play with a 7 wood, the embarrassment is, it’s a woman’s 7 wood. Real whipy  but great for 195yrds and get over trees. 

Not embarrassing at all!  You found a club that works! I'd hit a club with a woman's shaft in a heartbeat if it helped my game.

You can always change shafts too if you wanted

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

No 7 wood yet.  My most common playing partner foreheaded a 4 iron for the last time and reacted with an immediate Bo Jackson of his 4 iron stating “enough, I’m going to get a 7 wood.”  I’ll update the forum as it goes 😀

J2theI

Could never hit my 4/5 irons well at all. Replaced them with a 7/9 wood combo and have never looked back! 

TSR2 9* Fujikura NX Green 50S
TSR2 15* Fujikura NX Green 60S
TSR2 18* Fujikura NX Blue 60S
TSi2 21* Fujikura NX Blue 60S
Paradym 24* Fujikura NX Blue 70S
R11 6-GW MMT 80S
Edel SMS Wedges 54/58 BGT ZNE 90g

Three years ago I did a full bag fitting and ended up with Driver (10.5°), 3 Wood (17.5°) and 7 Wood (22°). I had previously carried a 5 Wood (18°), 3 Hybrid and 4 iron. This 13 club set up has worked very well for me. I am not carrying anything that doesn’t fly high with predictable carry. The 7 Wood has become a weapon for me on long par 4s and short par 5s. 

Ping G425- D, 3, 7

Ping i230- 5 to U

Ping Glide 3- 54/14, 58/14

Cameron Select Newport 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Mac attack said:

What is the club it replaces? Are they longer than a 3 hybrid? Help me to understand.

I have a 3 hybrid (19.5*)too , which I’m not fond of .Basically my 7 wood replaces my 3 hybrid . I hit my 3 hybrid and the 7 wood the same distances , but the ball flight is very different . The hybrid generally hits more of a penetrating ball flight with more roll and the wood hits it higher with more carry and in my experience more forgiving. I have tried about every conceivable hybrid out there and I m always fighting the” left miss “ whether it be a pull or a hook . So this is my question , do you hit your other woods good enough for your game to improve or do they hinder it ? Another thing to consider is , what do you hit best ? For me it is fairway woods and irons , for you it might be hybrids and irons . Again , I play clubs that help me score better and not what I think I might want to play or let my ego get in the way of truly playing better .

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

Absolutely! Switched to one about 2 years ago.  Best money I ever spent on a golf club. As a lefty it’s slim picking but I settled on a PXG 5th gen 311. ditched the 3 wood too. There was no meaningful difference between it and my 5 wood so I play a 16.5*at 5w length and it’s magic!

Gear and stat junkie!

I use Titleist 904 woods, 3, 4, 5, 7 and recently a 9 model 910. I have had the 904 set since new and kill them. Can’t imagine trading out even though they are almost as old as I am!

Titleist Woods, 718 AP1 Irons, Cleveland Wedges, Bettinardi Inovai 7, Pro V1

I do not use a 7 wood. I have a fairly high ball flight and a 7 wood really balloons for me. when I have tested them. Maybe as I get older and lose some speed I will reevaluate but I am not there yet.

• Driver - Callaway Paradym X 10.5 - Project X HZRDS Gen 4 50
  • 3 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 16.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • 5 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 18.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
  • Wedges - Srixon ZX7 51-8 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite; Titleist Vokey 56-12 & 60-08 - Project X 6.0
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
  • Golf Ball - 2023 Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

I have used a 7 wood for probably 30 years, and can always remember Trevino singing its praises as he marched to major victories during his career. I have currently been playing a Callaway Epic Heavenwood with a senior shaft in it. The club permits me a variety of shot options. I can more easily hit draw shots, or hit them high when I need that shot, and throw one up onto an elevated green and get it to stick.  It's a real utility club 

This is an intreating question for me. I am looking into updating my irons (and seeing how they are very old, anything in the past couple decades is an upgrade). With that comes higher club angles, like a 4i would be my current 2i. So my thoughts go to “what club or clubs do I add to my bag”. I currently I use a 3w that is adjusted to the loft of a 5w. This is so I have the flexibility to have a true 3w (with a quick adjustment) if needed on the tee box. Side note is I have not found that problem yet, but my game is still growing. So my thoughts of when I need/want to add clubs to my bag with the new irons is actually a 7w. With me actually enjoying/using my 3w on the fairway, I think the 7w would be a good addition. 

These are my thoughts and thanks for reading and allowing me to share them. Happy golfing everyone!!!

I am a golfer that is getting back into the game. With luck I will get to update my lower handicap. 

I picked up a Callaway Utility Wood, which plays very similar to a 7-wood. It is my go to option if I’m considering anything less than driver but want it as straight and far as possible. This Callaway UW will be in the bag for a long long time. 

Golf is the best sport to be bad at.

6 minutes ago, SeniorGolfer said:

Three years ago I did a full bag fitting and ended up with Driver (10.5°), 3 Wood (17.5°) and 7 Wood (22°). I had previously carried a 5 Wood (18°), 3 Hybrid and 4 iron. This 13 club set up has worked very well for me. I am not carrying anything that doesn’t fly high with predictable carry. The 7 Wood has become a weapon for me on long par 4s and short par 5s. 

IMG_0965.jpeg.961ce924d1f877b7ee5ce1755a241fb8.jpegIMG_0966.jpeg.18550d29740208738a61f22ed984aeef.jpegIMG_1020.jpeg.2ede8835e24dc988402d659d70bc2b51.jpegI was selected for a Ping long game test through MGS 5 years ago, I think - before COVID. The deal was Ping sent a regional rep, that’s mine, who then determined the longest iron that each tester should game and recommended what clubs should go between that iron and driver. We had to follow his suggestion.

In my case the longest iron was 6 and my fitter replaced 3 wood, 4 hybrid, 5 hybrid with 5,7,9 wood. I was playing fairly good golf at the time - around a 6. I was also fooling myself because it was the dry season in Florida. I was getting run out with those longer clubs that made my new shot scope watch think that I had a fairly even dispersion. In actuality I was carrying all 4 within 5 yards of one another and as soon as rainy season hit I was going to have 3 clubs going the same distance. Handicap dropped to 4.4, 2 strokes, by the next spring. 

I learned a number of things from that fitting.  High among was that peak height through the bag is very important. So im with senior golfer there. 

I still game the 7,9 wood - a friend of mine build a 4 wood for me that I have in the bag. It got me some yardage over the 5 wood and brought a couple of par 5’s that I play into range. I may consider putting the 5 wood back in at my new club though. 

At any rate 7 wood works very well for me. 

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

I replaced my 3,4 and 5 irons with a 5,7 and 9 woods. Best move i ever made.  i can hit each about 10 yards further and the irons they replaced but the results are much better.