Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Are the '12 drivers $300 better than an '10?

RoverRick

Thanks Tuna. I'm probably gonna end up sellin it. It took about a bucket of balls to get used to the sound of the RBZ, but man, does the ball come off the face. I don't know if it's the head, shaft or a combination, however the 11s just didn't match up to the RBZ or the i20 or SF TP. GD said it was one of the longest drivers tested, and I'm not kiddin, it's not in my top half dozen.

ANyway, thanx guys for the comments.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

When they said it was one of the longest drivers tested, they meant to say the check that said "R11S Review" on the memo had the longest line of digits on the amount line. So it was one of the longest lol

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

GD is great short hand for Golf Digest when refering to its hot list. Let the reader understand.

I wouldn't put stock in anything that they write in this regard - Even putting the best construction on their testing program and assuming its intent is to honestly assess new equipment we don't really know the testers - they differ from one year to the next perhaps even from one set of equipment to the next - it's really not an apples to apples comparison - There's not a Richard like player or a RevKev or an Ice or a Super Tuna like player in the mix necessarily and even if there is you don't get to their individual results to make more accurate comparisons.

Plus who gives a you know what about buzzzzzz - If you care about it that will factor into your decision making when you go to purchase - beyond that it should have nothing to do with a clubs rating - I get look/feel/performance/perceived performance (because after a time perception can become reality) but buzzzzz - really - there's plenty of buzz when you make birdies and win a few skins.

GD is certainly not like here - after a time you can almost guess how certain equipment will test out for each one of our testers. My only complaint here is that I'd like to see the mix of testers expanded a bit to include a woman or two, a couple of more senior players and the like but still there's at least enough to go on. I can say - oh this performed well for that tester - it might be a good idea for me to take a look at that.

Oh yeah - I like the RIP Phenom shaft in that it's an easy shaft to hit - had it in my Adams 9064 when i picked it up and Dogpro has it in his. I have however picked up some significant distance by having the Excaliber SL put into that driver - higher launch, lower spin = more distance and it's pretty straight (usually.) I learned about that shaft through testing done here and thought I'd like it - I do.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

In the Golf Magazine ClubTest for drivers, I think they tested 14 of them and 8-9 had "one of the top drivers tested" in the comments section.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I don't know where to put ithis and I don't wanna start a new thread for this so here's the question. I just won the 11s & I was hittin it & supposedly it has the same face/Technolog as the RBZ. The only problem is that it doesn't feel as "hot" as the RBZ.

I understand that the distance difference(bout 10yds shorter) could be due to my lack of "tuning" with the 11s and also the shaft. BTW, does anyone have any experience with the "made for" Phenom(RIP)?

And have any of you hit the 11s against the RBZ? I mean, the face just doesn't feel the same.

Thoughts?

Thanx.

Fairways & Greens 4ever

I've used the Supertri, R11, R11s, and RBZ. The R11s was dead last on the list for me. I agree with your description of the face feeling.....I dunno.....soft....dull......weird......whatever ya wanna call it :P

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I don't know if they changed the material of the adaptor of the R11s and the RBZ but they just don't sound and feel as good as the R11.

However a shaft change does wonders for the feel as well. The DI and the Speeder 6.1 I have in my RBZ feel worlds better than the stock XCon.

That being said I don't think the price difference of '10 to '12 drivers is $300. Maybe for some TP/Tour Authentice stuff with the upgraded shafts but it would probably closer to $200 difference for most standard offerings('10=$150 and '12=$350). Of course right now is the end of most product cycles so the '10s will be dropping further probably around $100 (maybe a little lower) and the '12s should be hitting $250-300 soon as well. My RBZ is now $220 new.

Archived