Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What you guys think of this drill ?

16 minutes ago, Goober said:

No… he told me this will be very difficult . All this manipulating and forcing positions is a killer for me . But I will keep progressing as best as I can. If I played now , I would probably give up on this immediately. I see tons of validity in it. And i have the time to work on it. But I really think this will take easily this season and maybe best to really grasp it 

I personally wouldn't work on something that I wasn't able to successfully accomplish during the lesson.  If you have never been able to perform what was asked how do you know you are evening doing it correctly in practice?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Goober said:

No… he told me this will be very difficult . All this manipulating and forcing positions is a killer for me . But I will keep progressing as best as I can. If I played now , I would probably give up on this immediately. I see tons of validity in it. And i have the time to work on it. But I really think this will take easily this season and maybe best to really grasp it 

Did he give you drills to work on this move with?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Did he give you drills to work on this move with?

Little swings that start hip high. With closed clubface. And from there “ crack the whip”. Or like he said “let the body use the ground to crack the whip”. When I swing full I’m supposed to feel a loading of the shaft until hip high with a closed clubface. At hip high i poor on that built up whip right into the ball. Almost like I’m stopping at Impact with a punch shot feel. The short irons have improved almost immediately for me. The middle to long clubs are a huge mystery. I can’t seem to time it, nor get the same feeling I get with the short irons. Feels so laggy and over manipulated to me. The long to middle irons always felt wide to wide when I hit it my best. This feels so scrunched up . Almost like I can’t get to the ball/ and the results of extremely errant shots justify that 

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

Not sure I understand the intent of what he is getting to you do, but it does sounds like a big change to your swing.   I am glad that my lessons have been doing more simple things like trying to stop the backswing when I feel like the shaft is vertical (to shorten and prevent me from going over the line at the top) and to move the ball back in my stance.  Has really improved 3W-LW ball striking.....driver has gotten a little off now.   Kinda think I am going to run out of things to tweak before I reach the end of my lesson series.  🤪

I guess what I was doing previously for decades was very bad. But oddly I made it work. It appears I’m getting a complete overhaul. At the beginning of the lessons he told me this is a process. And is very much on building on the previous lesson(s) leading to a more efficient and powerful way to strike a golf ball. Also stressed if we can’t put in the time for what he recommends.. then I need to look around elsewhere. He is as looking for long term commitment. With the results speaking for themselves once I grasp what he things needs to be done. I’ve been one who focused more on impact than the swing motion. Where I’m now learning the whole swing motion versus just impact. It’s been very educational; slight improvements; with many disappointments along the way. Hoping to close the gap from disappointments to improving and progressing. Not quite there yet 😞

So far I’ve learned less grip pressure/ ball up in stance/ stand closer to the ball.  Backswing more in and up around back leg. Think over the top versus down and under and stuck. Load lag until hip high with a closed clubface and light grip. From hip high to the ball “snap the whip” with a punch shot feeling stopping at impact. 

I guess normal for anyone going thru a swing change 

Edited by Goober

4 hours ago, Goober said:

Little swings that start hip high. With closed clubface. And from there “ crack the whip”. Or like he said “let the body use the ground to crack the whip”. When I swing full I’m supposed to feel a loading of the shaft until hip high with a closed clubface. At hip high i poor on that built up whip right into the ball. Almost like I’m stopping at Impact with a punch shot feel. The short irons have improved almost immediately for me. The middle to long clubs are a huge mystery. I can’t seem to time it, nor get the same feeling I get with the short irons. Feels so laggy and over manipulated to me. The long to middle irons always felt wide to wide when I hit it my best. This feels so scrunched up . Almost like I can’t get to the ball/ and the results of extremely errant shots justify that 

Sounds like something is breaking down in the arm structure or how your body moves into the top of the swing.

3 hours ago, Goober said:

I guess what I was doing previously for decades was very bad. But oddly I made it work. It appears I’m getting a complete overhaul. At the beginning of the lessons he told me this is a process. And is very much on building on the previous lesson(s) leading to a more efficient and powerful way to strike a golf ball. Also stressed if we can’t put in the time for what he recommends.. then I need to look around elsewhere. He is as looking for long term commitment. With the results speaking for themselves once I grasp what he things needs to be done. I’ve been one who focused more on impact than the swing motion. Where I’m now learning the whole swing motion versus just impact. It’s been very educational; slight improvements; with many disappointments along the way. Hoping to close the gap from disappointments to improving and progressing. Not quite there yet 😞

Many who are self taught find a way to make the swing work and get around the course, some with more success than others. As our bodies change and age the ability to compensate for the faults becomes harder and less consistent. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Sounds like something is breaking down in the arm structure or how your body moves into the top of the swing.

Many who are self taught find a way to make the swing work and get around the course, some with more success than others. As our bodies change and age the ability to compensate for the faults becomes harder and less consistent. 

Well. It’s like starting over for me. I’ve already chocked it up that this year I’m not going to expect high level golf. Now at this time next year if I see no improvement. Than it might be time to try other avenues. I’ve been working in the mirror at home without a ball for most of this. Just a lot on the list of changes so far. And honestly nothing feels natural at all yet 

2 minutes ago, Goober said:

Well. It’s like starting over for me. I’ve already chocked it up that this year I’m not going to expect high level golf. Now at this time next year if I see no improvement. Than it might be time to try other avenues. I’ve been working in the mirror at home without a ball for most of this. Just a lot on the list of changes so far. And honestly nothing feels natural at all yet 

Agree it’s like starting over. You are teaching your body to move differently. If you can do something with a shorter club but can’t do it with a longer club then something is breaking down when the club gets longer. It’s the same concept of doing slower swings and things working fine but when the speed increases and the results aren’t the same something broke down with the speed.

You also need to understand swing changes take time. If they are working for shorter clubs that’s good, that means your body is capable of doing what your instructor wants you to do. It’s going to take longer to get the longer clubs to do that. Amateurs especially higher handicaps thing in terms of swing to swing. That gets them in trouble and they are looking for the next fix. Results don’t happen immediately. Think of how long you have been swinging the old way, you can’t break those habits right away. 

Lastly let’s look at Tiger woods. When he made swing changes after his first masters, when he went to hank Haney. It took him 18-24 months for the swing changes to take place. That’s practicing every day for hours at a time. You aren’t practicing nearly as much as he did and you are thinking that in the rest of the season changes are going to happen if they don’t then you are going to look elsewhere. You need to be patient, put in the work and let the results come when they come. Do more lessons with your instructor, communicate with him/her on where you are struggling, find new drills or feels that allow to make the same swing with longer clubs. 

Agree it’s like starting over. You are teaching your body to move differently. If you can do something with a shorter club but can’t do it with a longer club then something is breaking down when the club gets longer. It’s the same concept of doing slower swings and things working fine but when the speed increases and the results aren’t the same something broke down with the speed.

You also need to understand swing changes take time. If they are working for shorter clubs that’s good, that means your body is capable of doing what your instructor wants you to do. It’s going to take longer to get the longer clubs to do that. Amateurs especially higher handicaps thing in terms of swing to swing. That gets them in trouble and they are looking for the next fix. Results don’t happen immediately. Think of how long you have been swinging the old way, you can’t break those habits right away. 

Lastly let’s look at Tiger woods. When he made swing changes after his first masters, when he went to hank Haney. It took him 18-24 months for the swing changes to take place. That’s practicing every day for hours at a time. You aren’t practicing nearly as much as he did and you are thinking that in the rest of the season changes are going to happen if they don’t then you are going to look elsewhere. You need to be patient, put in the work and let the results come when they come. Do more lessons with your instructor, communicate with him/her on where you are struggling, find new drills or feels that allow to make the same swing with longer clubs. 

Swinging the same way for 40 plus years won’t change overnight. I’m all in on this and really find it fascinating. I think the range will be my new friend 

Took the lessons a step further today. And was learning a low left exit after the strike today. This is another tough task during my lesson with the teacher this am. It’s very difficult keeping that handle low… and eliminate face closure after the hit. It’s very dependent on a squat in the back leg. Than rotating with a level waist… and keeping a higher back leg tail bone so the body turns properly. I’m one who would tip the back tail bone.. and get stuck and lunge with early extension. Feels almost like a dance move now. And learned about ‘squishing the bug’ . So for me a follow up plan will be float  hands down and out. Squat into right leg.. which brings hands out and club head up. When I feel like I’m low , down and out. I’m squatting hard into back leg. Once low I think squash the bug turn in trail foot. Right forearm will face the target. And handle of club is pulled into the front pants pocket. Thru the strike I think lumbar back turning behind me low. And left shoulder clearing.. with right shoulder replacing where my left one was. The face is squared by my squish the big and clearing of the left shoulder

it was a lot today. More at home mirror work and backyard slow motion swings in my future. Boy I have a huge swing laundry list for sure 

So now lighter grip pressure, stand closer to the ball, ball more in front of the stance, take club back more vertical, at top of backswing more hands up closing the face, turn more around trail leg in backswing, in transition think float hands down and out at the ball, squat into back leg as low as I can go, stay squatted and squish the bug, strike ball with right forearm facing target like an under hand pitch, handles comes in towards front pocket, turn lumbar around me with left shoulder clearing hard, go to high hands finish and feel like I’m leaping out of my shoes into the finish..

Edited by Goober

Very interesting that your instructor is throwing all these different moves and thoughts at your on such a short period of time when it seems like previous changes haven’t been engrained yet which takes time.

Also curious why you are taking so many lessons in such a short period of time? 

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Very interesting that your instructor is throwing all these different moves and thoughts at your on such a short period of time when it seems like previous changes haven’t been engrained yet which takes time.

Also curious why you are taking so many lessons in such a short period of time? 

Maybe I need to spread them out more ? I was thinking weekly was ok. Maybe I need to do once a month 

5 minutes ago, Goober said:

Maybe I need to spread them out more ? I was thinking weekly was ok. Maybe I need to do once a month 

Unless you are spending hours everyday working on what you learned at your previous lesson and seeing improved and consistent contact, ball flight, etc taking another lesson a week later isn’t really beneficial especially if you are learning something new to do before you figured out the previous stuff. My opinion based on my own experience and talking to coaches and other golfers.

Once a month is probably a lot more efficient for improvement. Several coaches I talked to tell their students they don’t want them coming in every week unless it’s to look at and work on what they did in the previous lesson to make sure they are making progress on that stuff

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

Went out and played 18 today.. all I have to say is it’s a real “ leap of faith” taking this lesson swing to the course. 

It shouldn’t be tho. You play golf swing on the range and work on the changes there. On the course you play golf and not swing. One thing to try on the course is in your pre shot routine is take a drill or feel and do that as your pre shot routine then hit the ball.

It shouldn’t be tho. You play golf swing on the range and work on the changes there. On the course you play golf and not swing. One thing to try on the course is in your pre shot routine is take a drill or feel and do that as your pre shot routine then hit the ball.

I was trying that. I was feeling like all my speed was after the ball. And I kinda gravity dropped down .. squatted . Then swung at a hip high feel. Shot +4 for 18 on an executive course. Some great short irons. Long irons still bad .. but good putting and chipping 

Have to honestly say my entire golf swing has or is changing. It’s quite mind blowing how many things I’ve had changed by this instructor. At my age, I credit my love for fitness for allowing me to get in these body positions he recommended to me. Out of all the golfers of all skill levels I’ve played with the last few decades. I can count on one hand how many would do the changes (and stick with it) that I’ve been instructed to adopt. Loving the process

this was no quick fix by any means. I’m talking my entire swing motion and thought process has been altered  

Had another lesson today. And it was a really good productive one. My biggest issue was my backswing. Which (per the pro) caused a major train wreck into the ball and beyond. I would get super stuck, than drop the club massive inside. My path was extreme in to out. Ironically I was able to make it work for many a good year of playing. But the older I get, the timing of it was slowly disappearing. So, basically my pro is rebuilding my whole motion from the ground up. 

I’ve been given the green light to start putting this swing to use. And he suggested when I practice to feel like I’m hitting a 4 or 5 iron 100 yards. He really wants me to feel the motion without the pressure of hitting the ball a mile at full speed.

We also discussed how to use this swing on the course. And since my biggest issue was my backswing. He wants me to focus on that as my main swing key. A nice high lift of the arms ( away from the body) while rotating around my back leg. He wants me to leave the body and arm work we done for the range. One swing thought should be plenty for me to get around a course without being overwhelmed with swing thoughts 

So my check list is a revamped grip. 
  Changed stance with square footing versus feet point out ( this took tons of work for me to change that) 

a new backswing where I’m lifting the club and my body with high hands 

I float the handle down to my right hip. While feeling more level hips and a opening of the shoulders versus super closed off 

from hip high I think drive right palm to the target low and left. And also turn real hard low and left. With a feeling of my back facing back towards the camera. Front leg snaps and back foot is turning or squishing the bug 

still a long way to go. But glad he told me I can start working on this in full motions. Hitting a ball only 100 yards until I master that.

The more I’m practicing this. The more this club wants to shallow our big time on its own. Some goofy angles now. Granted I’m still practicing with the feeling of hitting a 5 or 6 iron a 100 yards. So I can really feel what I was told to do. When I play , I add speed 

Edited by Goober

Was out practicing at the facility I take lessons at. The pro came up and we had a nice face to face chat. He told me he is learning from me as well. I’m currently his oldest student. And even though I may not be able to physically get in all these amazing positions his younger studs achieve. My intentions and swing feels and pressures are leading in the right direction. The best complement that he said was he wished many of his younger students had my work ethic. I completely understand and feel what I should be doing. It may not look as great as it should. But the ball dispersions and my path have really zeroed out. No more massive inside out and hope I hook it back into the middle. This has been such a difficult task. Been working on this stuff with it without a club religiously 

• 4 weeks later...

Well it happened. I had a 9 hole round where my game reflected the work I’ve put into it with lessons. I’m hitting the ball a club to two clubs longer now. And driver is easily 25-30 yards longer at times. Biggest issue I have no is clubbing. I seem to be over shooting many greens. Played 2 holes like I was 21 years old again. 398 par 4 I had 103 left and knocked it within 6 feet. Next hole was 462 par 5 and I hit a driver an 8 iron for my 2nd pin high. That is big boy golf for me. Really hitting very straight now .. but it’s like a whole new game with my distance change. Looking very promising now 

Took a lesson this am.And my pro is the only one who I let analyze my swings.A little disappointed in some areas. But others areas I can see where the hard work has paid off.My backswing has gotten more refined and traditional-repeatable looking.  The grip , stance and my release at impact and beyond has really improved. Hence my straighter shots and longer the other day. But my transition of being slightly steep over the top, and lifting up at impact still need some work. At home into the net I can squat in transition and turn low and left with no problem. But get me on the course with actual targets I aim for and my body locks up in that area. My body is actually protecting me from slamming my club right In the ground by stalling and lifting up at impact. It looks very poor and was disappointing to say the least. So he pulled me aside and said let’s focus on one area at the time. And the positives more than the negatives. He wants me to even refine my backswing more for the next 3 or 4 weeks. Drill it daily until it becomes second nature. Than we will tackle the other lower body issues. And that will make the club shallow all on its own. He stressed guys who manipulate the club in transition with their hands is no way to play golf. So we are doing this by having all the parts matching up with no forcing it. I was humbled today, but trying to focus on my good play a few days ago. This is working, I’m hoping the best is yet to come