Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Your experience on Hosel Adjustment?

I got fitted a few weeks ago and my clubs have finally arrived.   I was fitted for a Driver and Irons.  I did not go through fairway woods and hybrids.  I did end up buying a 3 wood and a hybrid to complete my set though.

My driver fitting set me on a Titleist TSi3 Driver setting at C-3 (which is standard loft and 0.75* upright).  

Have you guys found that if you were fitted for a particular hosel setting that you might end up matching that with your 3 wood and hybrids also? 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0

Fairway: Titleist TSi3 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0

Irons: Titleist t200 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 52,56,60

Putter - White Hot center shaft

6 hours ago, browie said:

I got fitted a few weeks ago and my clubs have finally arrived.   I was fitted for a Driver and Irons.  I did not go through fairway woods and hybrids.  I did end up buying a 3 wood and a hybrid to complete my set though.

My driver fitting set me on a Titleist TSi3 Driver setting at C-3 (which is standard loft and 0.75* upright).  

Have you guys found that if you were fitted for a particular hosel setting that you might end up matching that with your 3 wood and hybrids also? 

It can depend on an individual as to set up and what fits your eye. All of my FWs are old school glued shafts. Now I do build and tune my own stuff. My FWs are set by shaft flex and lead tape. I have been doing it so long I know what works for me and what does not. But I had to experiment and learn. Now 3 of my drivers are adjustable. I do my adjustments different from most. I adjust mine in the shop using my flat plate and protractor guage to check loft lie and face adjustment because through much experimenting know what works for me.

Now I will say go for it and adjust at first what you feel will work for you. Keep a notebook with notes of how it performed at different adjustments. Always establish your own baseline. Do not sweat the nuts and bolts numbers. And again I stress do not sweat the exact numbers especially on the lie angle progression. The more you experiment the more you will learn. Good Luck

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

8 hours ago, browie said:

If you are going to experiment then just simply experiment and see what works.   The settings are there to help achieve launch conditions and distance gapping.  Since the clubs are weighted differently you may not respond to them in the same way as the driver and require different settings…..My personal setting are different.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/11/2022 at 11:34 PM, browie said:

Driver swings and fairway swings have different approaches. Driver is typically going to be a neutral to upward strike where fairway is nuetral to downward. What one needs in a driver setting for spin, launch, etc may not be needed in a fairway. Also fairway woods tend to have a more closed face to start with than driver so again a hosel adjustment may or may not match.

As noted if one is going to not be fit and is experimenting then just set it and see what happens. If it doesn’t work then adjust again and try again. Some people are more sensitive to others at how face angle changes based on hose setting changes. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 7/11/2022 at 8:34 PM, browie said:

What were the results of the lie angle fitting for irons?

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, scooterhd2 said:

What were the results of the lie angle fitting for irons?

My irons were 2 degrees upright so I did change my hybrid and 3 wood about a degree (0.75) upright just to help a bit and see how it goes.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0

Fairway: Titleist TSi3 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0

Irons: Titleist t200 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 52,56,60

Putter - White Hot center shaft

• 4 months later...

What looks best and works best for you depends on your own preferences and aesthetic preferences. My FWs are all made using traditional, glued-shaft models. Today, I construct and fine-tune my own equipment. Shaft flex and lead tape are how I adjust my FWs. Because of my extensive experience, I am able to recognize the strategies that contribute to my success and those that do not. To go anywhere, however, I had to take risks and learn by doing. Three of my drivers may be adjusted now. When making corrections, I use a unique approach. Through trial and error, I've found that checking the loft lie and face adjustment using a flat plate and protractor gauge works best for me while adjusting my clubs in the workshop.

• 2 months later...

In general, I feel like each club would have its own unique setting to serve its own purpose.

For me, I adjust the lie angle of clubs that hit the ground (non drivers) so that the club lays flush at impact (you can check by drawing and lining up a vertical line on the ball with a sharpie or dry erase marker and checking your club face after impact). For drivers, lie angle adjustments help move starting lines (flatter starts right, upright starts left).

For loft, again I separate between drivers and non drivers. For non drivers, loft adjustments help adjust launch angle and carry distance. For drivers, loft adjusts spin (since you can change launch angle using angle of attack).

The best (and easiest) way to know is to just try it out on the range! Hit a few balls on one setting, see how you like it. Switch it up until you find something you like, then keep it there.

I have now and in the past included clubs in my bag that have the hosel adjustment feature.  The problem is that every time I adjust a club and play with it for a few rounds, I end up going back to the standard setup.  I have worked with fitters and golf pros during the fitting process I guess I am just an old "standard" guy.   

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I adjust my driver based on wind and turf conditions.  I don't hit my 10.5º Callaway Epic Max all that high since my swing speed as not high, but right now when the wind is up, the standard setting launches the ball too high into the wind for my liking.  I drop the loft to 9.5º.  I get a lot more roll on our very firm, almost frozen turf.  On calm days and softer fairways I adjust loft back to standard.  I don't see much difference in shots left/right with either setting.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I was fitted for PXG irons about a year and a half ago.  I was fit for 2 degrees flat as I tended to hook.  This fitting took the hook away.  I have since adjusted my Titleist Driver and Hybrids to the flattest settings.  Helped immensely with the hook.  Now if I go left, it’s clearly swing path and face angle.  My Callaway 3 wood is not adjustable so when I have it in the bag, I have to make sure to adjust my swing.  I have been playing with 5 wedges the past 6 months so 3 wood is typically out of the bag unless I am playing a very long track.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1