Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Extend shaft to increase swing weight?

Changing steel to graphite in an old set of Nickent 6DX or 7dx irons, it’s either lead into the hosel or lead tape or extend shaft half an inch or a little more. Has anyone tried both methods and what was the result, I’m leaning towards shaft extension? The graphite shaft came outa Nickent 3dx hybrid, the hybrid has lost most of the infill and doesn’t play very well. Cheers Colin…

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

What is the SW now and what are you trying to get to?  If it helps, I recently went the other direction with a wedge shortening it just under 1" and the SW went from E0 to D3,

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Ball park answer is 1/2" of shaft length is about 3 swing weight points.

Better question is will the 1/2" length difference on the irons mess with your swing?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

7 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

What is the SW now and what are you trying to get to?  If it helps, I recently went the other direction with a wedge shortening it just under 1" and the SW went from E0 to D3,

I spent yesterday checking swing weight on different sets of irons, I found an old set I last played 15 years ago. Daiwa Protege that came from Ian Baker Finch's garage via a Aussie Pro lol, the sand iron is D6 and was my fav club out of the set so planning on putting it in my bag again. I could hit really high over tree's and out of bunkers were my Two fav shots, the range is C7 to D1 but I like D2 for mid irons. The graphite shafts are upto .75 of a inch short, extending is the easiest I think but added lead to the bottom of the hosel might work but I'm concerned how the shaft plays not inserted as it normally would be?

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…