Liv Golf Central Thread: Events and News

Thin2win
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

We haven't had to say this in a while, but as a reminder to all that we are keeping this thread to the golf/signings and related content.

We are not going to get into the politics of it all and where the money is coming from etc.

If you wish to comment on that aspect of it all please feel free to do so on other platforms. Not here.

While much of LIV has become more accepted over the years there are still those who feel strongly against it and the backing. We respect all those who are both for and against LIV, however will not tolerate going into the weeds of all the "other stuff"

If you are not sure whether you should post something either ask a mod or don't post it. 

As we have before we will continue to moderate, remove or edit posts that go against our moral code and members will receive alerts or warnings to follow.

Thank you

Forum Staff 

Not all that surprised Hatton went to LIV but I am in agreement with @BringerofRainand surprised that he was only able to negotiate $50M.  Perhaps the contract includes unlimited club replacement and a no fault clause involving damage from on-course hissy-fit's? 😆

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

31 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Not all that surprised Hatton went to LIV but I am in agreement with @BringerofRainand surprised that he was only able to negotiate $50M.  Perhaps the contract includes unlimited club replacement and a no fault clause involving damage from on-course hissy-fit's? 😆

LIV should be promoting Hattons antics. Let’s give him the mic for the entire round. LIV might want to consider  a 5 second  Janet Jackson rule just in case he really comes out of pocket but great opportunity to be LOUDER. 

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

12 minutes ago, BringerofRain said:

LIV should be promoting Hattons antics. Let’s give him the mic for the entire round. LIV might want to consider  a 5 second  Janet Jackson rule just in case he really comes out of pocket but great opportunity to be LOUDER. 

He's truly made for YT Tv, lol

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

On 1/3/2024 at 9:08 AM, Preeway said:

I think Rory was right to criticize in the beginning but I also think he sees the writing on the wall. Golf is up for sale and that worries me. Maybe it's because I'm getting old but I'm still a purist at heart. The team aspect of golf is a novelty and makes for an intriguing feature once in a while. I don't think it has to wait every two years but every week is lost on me. Golf is an individual sport and that's what makes it somewhat unique. Aside from tennis, there isn't much out there that truly pits you against the field. And even tennis doesn't do it the same as golf. With the endless supply of cash available from PIF, I don't think there is anyway to avoid the change that's coming. Maybe it isn't a bad thing, but it isn't my thing. 🤷‍♂️

I'm a traditionalist as well, but I don't mind the team aspect for a few  events, but I think the PGA tour core tournaments should remain the same. Liv Golf was originally designed to just be a supplement to PGA Tour and another format just like the offseason PGA tour events. However, the PGA Tour made a big mistake trying to crush LIV out of existence. The LPGA and LET were fine with their players playing the Aramco Series (funded and run by PIF) which looks to be the beta test program for LIV. The Aramco Series did not take over the LPGA and LET tours and was just a supplement format to those tours where LPGA and LET players just play a few events in the Aramco Series. LIV would have been that if the war did not escalate.  

The only thing I can do without is the music on the golf course at LIV events. I think it takes away from the serious competitive nature of the LIV tournaments and makes it more of a novelty. They should just have the music concert after the golf has ended. 

:taylormade-small:

:titleist-small:

21 minutes ago, Crashtestdummy said:

I'm a traditionalist as well, but I don't mind the team aspect for a few  events, but I think the PGA tour core tournaments should remain the same. Liv Golf was originally designed to just be a supplement to PGA Tour and another format just like the offseason PGA tour events. However, the PGA Tour made a big mistake trying to crush LIV out of existence. The LPGA and LET were fine with their players playing the Aramco Series (funded and run by PIF) which looks to be the beta test program for LIV. The Aramco Series did not take over the LPGA and LET tours and was just a supplement format to those tours where LPGA and LET players just play a few events in the Aramco Series. LIV would have been that if the war did not escalate.  

The only thing I can do without is the music on the golf course at LIV events. I think it takes away from the serious competitive nature of the LIV tournaments and makes it more of a novelty. They should just have the music concert after the golf has ended. 

The PGA fumbled big time with LIV. Seems pretty simple to have their now elevated events have been the LIV events. The top 50 golfers in the world at the end of the season now get to compete in the what could have been team events.  

Every year the top 12 golfers draft their team. It would have been awesome to see. But instead they decided to rely on people watching the 3M or the Travelers.  

27 minutes ago, Crashtestdummy said:

Liv Golf was originally designed to just be a supplement to PGA Tour and another format just like the offseason PGA tour events. However, the PGA Tour made a big mistake trying to crush LIV out of existence.

... I think you have that backwards. Norman wanted to crush the PGA Tour out of existence. That said, Monahan and the PGA Board certainly handled everything very poorly from the start but in their defense they were dealing with Norman who made it clear he wanted to kill the PGA Tour. We have to wonder if someone other than Norman (and Phils big mouth) had been in charge would cooler heads would have prevailed. In the end it was the greed on all sides that created such a mess. 

... I just watched "All The Money In The World" about J Paul Getty and the kidnapping of his grandson and how he wouldn't pay the ransom when it would amount to about $1 for the rest of us. He was asked when do you have enough money and he replied "Never". Reminded me of the current situation in golf. Is a paltry 10 million and a Major Trophy enough? Evidently not for far too many. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

20 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I think you have that backwards. Norman wanted to crush the PGA Tour out of existence. That said, Monahan and the PGA Board certainly handled everything very poorly from the start but in their defense they were dealing with Norman who made it clear he wanted to kill the PGA Tour. We have to wonder if someone other than Norman (and Phils big mouth) had been in charge would cooler heads would have prevailed. In the end it was the greed on all sides that created such a mess. 

... I just watched "All The Money In The World" about J Paul Getty and the kidnapping of his grandson and how he wouldn't pay the ransom when it would amount to about $1 for the rest of us. He was asked when do you have enough money and he replied "Never". Reminded me of the current situation in golf. Is a paltry 10 million and a Major Trophy enough? Evidently not for far too many. 

I have to agree. If Phil’s quote never comes out this discussion probably isn’t happening.  

I do think the vast majority of pro  golfers don’t make nearly as much money as we think they do. You can really rely on Google searches but they had Rham net worth at 16 million. Which obviously is a lot of money but here in San Diego arguably the number one golfer in the world is going to have a mortgage lol. 

8 minutes ago, BringerofRain said:

I have to agree. If Phil’s quote never comes out this discussion probably isn’t happening.  

I do think the vast majority of pro  golfers don’t make nearly as much money as we think they do. You can really rely on Google searches but they had Rham net worth at 16 million. Which obviously is a lot of money but here in San Diego arguably the number one golfer in the world is going to have a mortgage lol. 

Rahm has $51 million in career earnings on the PGA Tour. Think that net worth may be slightly understated especially when you add in sponsorships.

Think your point remains though for the vast majority that they're not making as much as you think they are outside of the top 15-20 golfers. Plus there is a burden of large expenses as a PGA tour pro. The bottom end lose money or break even as they fight for their card.

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

How does LIV get a deal like that with Google and the PGA tour couldn’t figure anything out in 50 years? 

I understand it’s a smaller field and less events but there is no reason they couldn’t figure out some kind of deal to bring golf to the masses especially when the masters already does it. 2020 was an absolute BOOM for the golfing world and the PGA tour actively made their product harder to watch. 

Whether you like Phil or not his statement  this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates is looking to be 100 percent accurate  

I haven’t seen a company with this big of a head start fail so bad since Skype was overtaken by Zoom. 

This deal with Google actually has me curious how it will work and I will be tuning in tomorrow. 

The PGAT is focused on TV viewers only because that drives ratings and that drives revenue. Can be hard to teach an old dog new tricks. This might be the first thing about LIV that has impressed me. I still won’t pay to watch on YouTube TV but this is certainly a big breakthrough to make the sport more watchable. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

On 1/30/2024 at 1:34 PM, chisag said:

There we will disagree , Norman just wanted a replica of world golf events since Finchen basically stole his idea for the big World events and shoved Greg’s face in the sand by doing so , Greg definitely had an ax to grind but this was his chance to do something different and new which was what his original plan was way back when Finchen slammed him down and took his idea and credit for such , PGAT has gotten very stale , majors are the only thing I watch now as they are so much under the thumb of NBC G C and I like watching every player at the same time  But to each their own 

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

13 minutes ago, Woodrow72 said:

There we will disagree , Norman just wanted a replica of world golf events since Finchen basically stole his idea for the big World events and shoved Greg’s face in the sand by doing so , Greg definitely had an ax to grind but this was his chance to do something different and new which was what his original plan was way back when Finchen slammed him down and took his idea and credit for such , PGAT has gotten very stale , majors are the only thing I watch now as they are so much under the thumb of NBC G C and I like watching every player at the same time  But to each their own 

Norman wanted that 30 years ago. He didn't want that a few years ago when this whole thing started. Nothing in his actions speak to that. If he actually just wanted that he would have approached the PGA Tour much more collaboratively. He did not. He was hostile the entire time. The PGA Tour responded in kind.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

11 minutes ago, poprocksncoke said:

Now we have Wild Cards in LIV Golf?  Why am I just hearing about this?  lol 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I think you’re talking about Anthony Kim which is great. LIV now just going wild saying yeah there are teams but don’t even trip you can still earn the $4 million if you come in first. Lol 

2 minutes ago, BringerofRain said:

I think you’re talking about Anthony Kim which is great. LIV now just going wild saying yeah there are teams but don’t even trip you can still earn the $4 million if you come in first. Lol 

No that's something totally different.  2 players are playing, Canter and Swafford, without being on a team 🤣

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

The one thing I dont understand is why doesn’t LIV have their teammates playing in a group. Wouldn’t it be better to see the teams celebrating when one someone in the group drains a 30 footer instead of everyone in the group just standing there with a blank expression on their face. 

Again if anyone knows someone from LIV I am available to help. 

Bit off topic, but has anyone been to a LIV event? I’m a few kilometres from Mayakoba right now and thinking about going on Sunday. Just gauging what it may be like, also know that most probably haven’t attended one outside of the states

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

20 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

Bit off topic, but has anyone been to a LIV event? I’m a few kilometres from Mayakoba right now and thinking about going on Sunday. Just gauging what it may be like, also know that most probably haven’t attended one outside of the states

Some great golfers will be there, you should go and experience it...

committed to performance excellence

37 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

Some great golfers will be there, you should go and experience it...

I hear it’s a lot of fun. I wanted to go to the one in Vegas because it’s not to far from San Diego until I realized it’s superbowl weekend and staying in Vegas is not an option. 

Watched Liv for the first time to see how Rahm was doing, didn't expect to see someone shoot -12. You do get to see a lot of shots, reminds me of NFL Redzone.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5")
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

With two scores in the 50s in I think back to back tournaments it’s hard not to think the course is set up a little easier. 

But then again it’s not like Kapalua or PGA west plays hard so maybe these guys are just really good 

Could be both. Tough course but set up easy. High reward to risk ratio. 

2 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

Watched Liv for the first time to see how Rahm was doing, didn't expect to see someone shoot -12. You do get to see a lot of shots, reminds me of NFL Redzone.

No real surprise.  He was a phenom in the making on the PGAT and will be on LIV or any tour.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

2 hours ago, BringerofRain said:

With two scores in the 50s in I think back to back tournaments it’s hard not to think the course is set up a little easier. 

But then again it’s not like Kapalua or PGA west plays hard so maybe these guys are just really good 

I’m down here at Mayakoba and it certainly looks tough. I’m no Jon Rahm but don’t look easy

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

5 minutes ago, TylorJudd said:

I’m down here at Mayakoba and it certainly looks tough. I’m no Jon Rahm but don’t look easy

Who cares about how hard the course is now. Answer the real question is a LIV event as fun as I think it is. 

Is the course legit? Is it open to the public, 

2 minutes ago, BringerofRain said:

Who cares about how hard the course is now. Answer the real question is a LIV event as fun as I think it is. 

Is the course legit? Is it open to the public, 

Like is the course open to play as public? 

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

19 hours ago, BringerofRain said:

Yes, can anyone play it or private. 

I thought you were asking me a question directly, my bad.

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x