L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max

GolferXY

Nice write-up and very glad that you like your new putter so much.

I ordered a Mezz.1 Max myself, but only just over a week ago, so I still have a bit of a wait left. And I took a deep dive with an upgraded shaft (I've never tried nor even had an interest in these shafts ever before) so my hit over the head is more than $800! [emoji1787]

I went astray from my usual conservative self in going with a platinum colored head, also with the three alignment lines like yourself. Also went with the white BGT Polar Stability Tour 2 shaft with white headcover. The grip is the 1.L elliptical shaped grip as I do prefer that shape.

I'm not new to L.A.B. putters so I know what I'm getting as to the tech and the incredibly balanced feel. I already own a Directed Force/L.A.B. Reno 2.1 with original elliptical shaped Press grip and I putt extremely well with it. Only, the obscene look of it got in my head as I strangely became self-conscious while playing it. Had it since 2018, never bothered me prior to the past couple years. But it was to the extent that I removed it from the bag, opting to instead play a Scotty Squareback 1.5 and then later a Sik DW.

But finally, I couldn't take the 3-putts anymore and placed the order for the Mezz.1 Max. The very next day, I put the DF/L.A.B. back in the bag after a very long layoff and waddayaknow? I putted lights-out and carded a season low 73. [emoji2369]

I'd already told my buddies about my expensive order, to their great amusement, but at the turn one said, "cancel that order already! Are you outta your mind? This one is the putter for you."

Gotta admit, my great putting that day (and since) had me second guessing the order too. Then on #12, facing a 30' putt for par after butchering an easy approach, I said aloud, "if this one drops, I will cancel that order."

I made the danged thing. [emoji15]

Didn't cancel though because excess golf funds that afforded the purchase in the first place, were burning a hole in my pocket anyway. Very much looking forward to my Max but I gotta admit, the only thing that concerns this compromised golfer with the awful back is that there's no way to scoop up the ball with the Mezz.1 Max! [emoji2369] [emoji6]

Best of luck with the new flatstick. The tech is real but I found the key for me is with the set-up and just as L.A.B. recommends, to take my stance and address the ball with the putter shaft in the middle of my stance.

Forgot to mention that another buddy, after learning about my purchase, tried my DF/L.A.B. only once on the course. He drained a slick 12 footer for par and instantly said, "Billy Mac, after you fall in love with that new putter, I want this one. I'm not kidding, I want it. If you sell it to someone else, you'll be dead to me."

He is an eccentric guy who easily fixates and LOL... I'm pretty sure he means it. Both counts. [emoji6]

Thanks for the kind words Billy Mac. I tried the DF1 when it first dropped and it felt too heavy. My guess is that I was trying to muscle it through the ball. When I went for my fitting, I tried one again and this time I was armed with the info from the website, so I just let it swing. It felt good. However, I prefer the feel of the Mezz's taller face as more of it contacts the ball. I think it helps me to judge distance better. Hope you like your new putter!

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Hey guys.  I've been using the LAB Mezz Max for a couple of months now, and I have to say it has made a big positive impact on my putting game.  I still have the occasional mis-hit, but anything inside of 20 feet is right around the hole consistently.  I absolutely love setting the club down behind the ball and it stays exactly where I put it without any input on my part.  No losing the line as I adjust my grip or stance, it stay flat and straight on the line I've chosen.  It really makes set up super easy for me.

The only issue I have is with the head cover.  It has dropped off the club twice [found it both times, thankfully] while driving in a cart even after taking great pains to ensure that it was on tight.  I finally turned it around and placed another club in the putter slot of the bag to help hold it in place.  So far so good, but it's a hassle worrying that I might lose it.

I've shown it to several friends, and they've all commented positively.  Two have said they're going to order one for themselves.  And it does generate interest on the putting green.  

Today I dropped three putts on the green about 12 feet from the hole, slight right to left breaker.  Holed all three, cold.  Love this putter.

-XX

-XY

I played with the Mezz Max, Mezz, and DF 2.1 for quite a bit when I was at a PGASS in Plano last month.  I'd heard such great things about all of the L.A.B. line that I was very interested in trying them out.  True to the hype, they felt great in the hand, albeit a bit awkward looking.  I went back and forth between all 3 models and came to the conclusion that I really liked the DF.  With a leap of faith, I placed my order for a custom build with L.A.B. DF 2.1, including a stability shaft.  Closing my eyes at the cost, I pressed enter.  It is enroute to my house as I type and it is expected to arrive Thursday.  I can't wait to hear the comments from my playing buds about the ugly, oversized, branding iron I call a putter.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

I played with the Mezz Max, Mezz, and DF 2.1 for quite a bit when I was at a PGASS in Plano last month.  I'd heard such great things about all of the L.A.B. line that I was very interested in trying them out.  True to the hype, they felt great in the hand, albeit a bit awkward looking.  I went back and forth between all 3 models and came to the conclusion that I really liked the DF.  With a leap of faith, I placed my order for a custom build with L.A.B. DF 2.1, including a stability shaft.  Closing my eyes at the cost, I pressed enter.  It is enroute to my house as I type and it is expected to arrive Thursday.  I can't wait to hear the comments from my playing buds about the ugly, oversized, branding iron I call a putter.

Nice!! They'll come around as soon as they see you putt with it. My buddies have been calling it my Cheat Stick since last summer. 😜

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

9 hours ago, GolferXX said:

UPDATE:

The only issue I have is with the head cover.  It has dropped off the club twice [found it both times, thankfully] while driving in a cart even after taking great pains to ensure that it was on tight.  I finally turned it around and placed another club in the putter slot of the bag to help hold it in place.  So far so good, but it's a hassle worrying that I might lose it.

Love this! Thanks for the awesome (original) write-up and the follow-up!

I would reach out to LAB directly re: the head cover issue. If they don't know about the issue, I'm sure Sam (CEO) and the team would love to know about it, and if they DO, a fix being either in the works or already figured out wouldn't surprise me either. 

The head cover for the DF, btw, is the size of a catcher's glove and has never threatened to fall off, so I'm guessing it could be a quality control issue? Or is it just the standard Mezz cover that they're squeezing the Max into? 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

@GolferXX, your scenario is almost exactly like mine.  I'm in my mid 60 (ish), loosing distance on my driver and had to rely on chipping and putting to post decent scores.  Chipping was not the problem....putting was.  I stumbled upon L.A.B. putters on this forum and decided to take the plunge.  The only exception is that I chose the DF 2.1.  

You were right on with the fitting process.  I actually sent in two different videos with the two putters I had been using and got slightly different results.  Like Soloman, I split the difference in the lie angle.  I ended up at 34.5/35 inches long, 67 degrees lie angle and the 3 degree press forward grip because I naturally create too much loft with my stroke. 

I put it in play the first of the year and my putting and confidence, hasn't been better.  I like it so much, I ended up picking another DF2.1 on eBay so I had a back up and could practice at home without and leave one in my bag at the course.

I hope it all works out for you have as well as it did for me!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Yep, I feel ya, brother!  I think I'll be looking for another myself.  Leaving the putter in my living room when I go golfing is something I want to avoid.😉

-XY

• 2 months later...

Been gaming the MEZZ1-MAX for about a month now and have been thoroughly enjoying it myself. My biggest draw was not so much the putter but more so the forward press grip. After a putting lesson with my local pro we concluded that pressing the lead wrist forward at setup and maintaining through impact. So the grip really intrigued me because I couldn't get the hang of arm or wristlock putters.

Driver:   TSR3 8°, set to B1, Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 6TX 

3 Wood: SIM 3 Wood 15°, Aldila Rouge Silver 7X

3 Hybrid:  CLK 18°, Ventus Blue 9X

2 Utility:  ZX Utility, LA Golf Tour AXS Blue, (15th club)

4i-AW:  ZX7, Tour Issue Dynamic Gold 120's S400

56°:  TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

60°  TAIII, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  Mezz1 Max

Ball:  Tour BX

Forum Reviews: 

Currently Testing

Official Member Review Sub 70 TAIII Wedges

Official Member Review Zelos 7 Shaft Review

Unofficial Vokey SM8 and Wedge & Wedge Works Review 

Unofficial Srixon 2021 ZX7 Iron Review

Unofficial TSR3 Review

@GolferXXThank you for the write up and to everyone else in this thread sharing their stories. I am strangely captivated by these L.A.B putters, putting has always been the weakest part of my game, but I have not been able to test out or use new equipment that often. I also just love anything slightly different, and in general a technology believer, so when a brand says they developed something new and it fixes putting I was intrigued. At the price point though I am hesitant, would love to see how it could perform on a course/green and not just a few practice rolls indoors. Who knows, the more of these stories that come in maybe I'll just spring for one sooner than later. 

WITB:

Driver: PING G400

3W: Ping G400

3 Utility Iron: Ping G410

5-GW: Cobra Forged Tec (2020) KBS $-Taper 125 x-stiff shafts (Club Champion fitting)

Wedges: 52,56,60 (mixed)

P: Cleveland Frontline 8.0 Wide blade

HCP: 11

Thanks so much for this review @GolferXX - I'm not in the market for a new putter, but LAB has def piqued my interest / could be an option in the future.  

Curious if they plan to come out with a reduced price point putter at some time (even reduce the price of the DF, since its been around for a good amount of time).

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-PW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  images (1).pngHaywood Signature Raw Wedges (50 / 54 / 58)

Putter:   download.png.d49e715a77153bd649b58a0d4e33fab5.pngL.A.B. DF3 (aka "Chewie")

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Reviews: 

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Testing

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

LAB has a factory seconds site LAB golf outlet with cut rate putters that have blemishes and cancelled orders [I think].  Unfortunately, the benefits of the LAB putters are best experienced after a few sessions to get used to them.  Man, I feel like I'm a shill for LAB but I'm just interested in getting out the word for a putter that I think may be revolutionary.  Not for everyone, but certainly I'll never be buying another putter.  

I've used this putter now for 6 months, and though putting is still not the strongest part of my game, I'm no longer afraid of 3 putting from 30+ feet!  The biggest challenge for me is trusting the putter on 10 footers.  Try it out if you dare! lol😁

A light touch and trusting the line is key.  Hope you get a chance to roll a few, and whatever club ends up in your hands learn to trust it!

-The Sass

Edited by GolferXX
Clarification of my meaning

-XY

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE NUMBER 2:

Six months with the Mezz Max, 30+ rounds, and the difference in my putting is obvious not just o me, but to all my golf buddies.  While a new putter often seems to provide me with a quick jolt of confidence on the greens, it seldom lasts.  But with this putter, the more I use it the more confidence I have over my putts.  Part of that is my continuing adjustment to the somewhat unusual looks of the putter, and of course adjusting my grip and stroke.

Initially I seemed to be making significantly more 15 to 20 footers, but inside 10 feet it was hit and miss [literally].  In recent rounds those 5 footers are more or less kick-ins...I just have to pick the line and let the club swing back and through.  Par saves and birdies from often mis-aimed [or mis-hit] chips have become more of the norm rather than the knee-knocking white knuckle experience that often affected my mental outlook.  I set a personal best on a visit to Palm Springs in January, and bettered that score by 4 strokes[!] yesterday on a course with hard to read, slick as iced-teflon greens.  Two PB's in 4 months can be attributed directly to the Mezz Max in my hands.  Just to share, I snaked in a 35 footer for eagle on the par 5 second, then buried a 5 foot bird on the next hole, a testament to my continuing adjustment to and confidence in the putter.

I'm now at an age where PBs should be a distant sun-dream, but the Mezz Max has given me a new lease on golfing life.  But I'm still dreaming.  Hmm, maybe some new hybrids?  Or a 7 wood?  They are pretty expensive.  Maybe I don't need that left arm and that right leg?

XX

-XY

Thank you @GolferXX for the review and subsequent updates! I am very intrigued by the Lab putters, even did the virtual fitting. I have only been able to swing the Link.1 in a standard putter swing style setup and desperately want to try them all before making a choice.

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft