Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

In my OGIO Flight Stand bag...

Taylormade r7 CGB Max Limited Driver 10.5* Reg Shaft (Currently using Mitsubushi Rayon Diamana 65g Shaft, Matrix Ozik and Fujikara Rombax currently not in play!)

MD Golf Superstrong 3 Wood 15* Reg Shaft (Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue)

MD Golf Superstrong 5 wood 18* Reg Shaft (Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue)

Taylormade Rescue Mid Hybrid 22* Steel Shaft

Taylormade r7 Irons 4-SW Regular Graphite Shafts

Titleist Vokey Wedge, Spin Milled 60*

Ping G2i Craz-e Putter (Black Dot)

Also in my bag...

Balls: Pro V1's

Umbrella as the weather is rubbish in the UK!

Waterproofs- see above!

Food/Drink

Many a Tee

etc etc!

Any comments?

• SPY VIP

Solid bag. Can you tell me the story about how you ended up with the Ping putter? I always like to hear how people end up with the different models.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Basically needed to replace my previous putter as it was from a beginner package set (I was upgrading) but being a student I couldn't afford much, saw this putter at my local pro shop 2nd hand, gave it a whirl and bought it for about £35!

Forgot to mention I have applied a 2thumb ProLight Grip in blue- very nice! would recommend!

More info about them on : http://www.2thumbgrip.com/

Anyone else tried one? My current putting style is: THE CLAW!!

• SPY VIP

Basically needed to replace my previous putter as it was from a beginner package set (I was upgrading) but being a student I couldn't afford much, saw this putter at my local pro shop 2nd hand, gave it a whirl and bought it for about £35!

Forgot to mention I have applied a 2thumb ProLight Grip in blue- very nice! would recommend!

More info about them on : http://www.2thumbgrip.com/

Anyone else tried one? My current putting style is: THE CLAW!!

How does claw work on a two thumb. I assumed that the point was to have your hands placed so your thumbs are side by side.

Volvo Intorqueo

Regarding the Claw- I find it helps provide a lot more to hold with the bottom hand so I am able to hold the putter more securely, eliminate the yips etc.. I feel so confident over anything inside 10ft now.

Fairways are from a small company based in Ireland I believe that have branched into the UK market. Get alot of good reviews by Todays Golfer magazine as budget clubs, often performing very well. I quite like them personally, nice size and shape to hit off both the tee and the deck!

Philip

Welcome to the forum!

I was assuming that the MD's were part of the beginners package you mentioned. No matter, if they work for you then great. It looks like the rest of your kit is shaping up nicely. Nice work!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Regarding the Claw- I find it helps provide a lot more to hold with the bottom hand so I am able to hold the putter more securely, eliminate the yips etc.. I feel so confident over anything inside 10ft now.

Fairways are from a small company based in Ireland I believe that have branched into the UK market. Get alot of good reviews by Todays Golfer magazine as budget clubs, often performing very well. I quite like them personally, nice size and shape to hit off both the tee and the deck!

Philip

Really, that's good that you found something that works for you.

The beginners set that I started with was a RAM Concept X package set back in the day...

Also I don't feel like I explained it very well earlier but the added width of the 2 thumb grip just increases the surface area of the grip and amount of contact I feel I have with the club, this all leads to more control, and more holed putts :)

Nice bag. Regarding your putter grip & style: did you go to the claw, then add the 2-thumb, or vice versa? I've never seen anyone use the 2-thumb with an "unorthodox" grip, but kudos to you for being an individual.

I started using the claw quite a long while before getting the two thumb grip (probably about 18months) and invested in a 2thumb grip in November 09 (after first trialling it at the NEC Golf Show 2008) from the NEC Golf show 2009. Funny thing is the guy I play golf with at uni also used the claw before we both met, also bought a 2thumb grip at the same time as me and we both use the claw for it!

I would strongly recommend giving it a go if you're struggling with those mid length putts! Cheaper to change the grip rather than the putter!

• SPY VIP

I started using the claw quite a long while before getting the two thumb grip (probably about 18months) and invested in a 2thumb grip in November 09 (after first trialling it at the NEC Golf Show 2008) from the NEC Golf show 2009. Funny thing is the guy I play golf with at uni also used the claw before we both met, also bought a 2thumb grip at the same time as me and we both use the claw for it!

I would strongly recommend giving it a go if you're struggling with those mid length putts! Cheaper to change the grip rather than the putter!

At some point, if possible can you post a picture of your technique? I think I am understanding what you are doing, but I would like to see it too.

Volvo Intorqueo

Hi all,

Not sure if this is gunna work but hopefully there are a few pictures here of both of the MD Golf Fairway Woods, and also of my putter grip/style! Not great but the best I can do at 19:30 in the evening in my room!

DSCF0293.jpg

Above is an image of the MD Golf Superstrong 3 & 5 woods

DSCF0295.jpg

Close up 3-wood

DSCF0298.jpg

5 wood could do with a clean!

DSCF0300.jpg

The CLAW

DSCF0302.jpg

2 thumb putter grip

Hope they work!!

Thanks for the explanation. It's funny that you and your friend both use the same grip/style combination that I've never heard of before.

I've messed around with left hand low a little bit, but never tried the claw. I do have a putter with a giant grip on it (TM Rossa Monza Corza, giant Winn grip). If things REALLY go off the rails (like 50 putts off the rails), I will play the next round with that putter and the claw grip.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Thanks for the claw photos. Will goof with that on the putting range.

Any problem with the big grip in the bag?

Erm, not really any problems with it. And I don't even have a full length divider on my putter slot. I could imagine its even easier if you have full length dividers.

Thanks for the explanation. It's funny that you and your friend both use the same grip/style combination that I've never heard of before.

I've messed around with left hand low a little bit, but never tried the claw. I do have a putter with a giant grip on it (TM Rossa Monza Corza, giant Winn grip). If things REALLY go off the rails (like 50 putts off the rails), I will play the next round with that putter and the claw grip.

Yeah sounds good, should also try it when you're next practising putting for a bit and see how you get on!

Would love to hear any feedback on anyone trying the claw!

What did that grip set you back??? just wondering.. always looking for a putting "cure"

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

About £20 by the time I had got my club pro to fit it for me as well! I think the grips alone retail at around £18.99 but I believe you can pick up some good deals on them on eBay (definately in the UK at least anyway) and get them for around £13.50 or so.

Hope this helps!

Archived