Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Is g430 worth it?

I was thinking upgrade my current version of PING g425 to the new 430 series. But, haven't got much details about the experience. One of the websites that I read had some stats mentioned like the ball speed is more in compared to the yardage in G430 version. What do think is this a great club to use or have you tried hands on over it?  

image (1).png

4 hours ago, Luke James said:

I was thinking upgrade my current version of PING g425 to the new 430 series. But, haven't got much details about the experience. One of the websites that I read had some stats mentioned like the ball speed is more in compared to the yardage in G430 version. What do think is this a great club to use or have you tried hands on over it?  

I hit the 425 and 430 side by side; no distance gains but the sound is significantly different.  I personally preferred the 425.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You said there was no distance gained. Have the manufacturers hit the limit? I have concerns about all this talk about making the clubs lighter. The pros may be able to get some added distance because they are working so hard at their speed, but I wonder if it is counterproductive for older slower players. 

Ping G9 irons,  Taylor Made Slider driver , Titleist , Callaway and Taylor Made Hybrids and a Nile IC putter

53 minutes ago, Billy Gibbard said:

You said there was no distance gained. Have the manufacturers hit the limit? I have concerns about all this talk about making the clubs lighter. The pros may be able to get some added distance because they are working so hard at their speed, but I wonder if it is counterproductive for older slower players. 

CT on the center is maxed out. The manufactures look for ways to move weight around and create a way for golfers to gain more speed thru the swing. Some go light and Ping is one that has heavier heads.

Where CG is can work for one golfer and not another in the same driver. Those who have been fit or a consistent contact point on the face usually won’t see gains. For some the new design produces a more optimal flight and they gain some distance. Change in launch h characteristics can cause distance gain or loss from release to release.

two options to know if a new release is better for you or not. Go test it side by side with same shaft, weight, etc or get fit.

as for worth it only the individual can say if what they see, feel, hear and the results 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I enjoyed hitting it and liked the sound, but not enough to upgrade over my current G425 Max.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

CT on the center is maxed out. The manufactures look for ways to move weight around and create a way for golfers to gain more speed thru the swing. Some go light and Ping is one that has heavier heads.

Where CG is can work for one golfer and not another in the same driver. Those who have been fit or a consistent contact point on the face usually won’t see gains. For some the new design produces a more optimal flight and they gain some distance. Change in launch h characteristics can cause distance gain or loss from release to release.

two options to know if a new release is better for you or not. Go test it side by side with same shaft, weight, etc or get fit.

as for worth it only the individual can say if what they see, feel, hear and the results 

The H/L version of the 430 Max driver is supposed to be the same head with a 15-gram lighter weight and a much lighter shaft along with a lite grip [what I was told anyway]. Thats what I have and I'm still getting used to it but I think I'm going to ditch the grip for my usual MCC plus 4 and cut 1 inch off shaft, I'm less than 5-9 and 45 3/4 is just to long for me. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

13 minutes ago, Fred Mitchell said:

The H/L version of the 430 Max driver is supposed to be the same head with a 15-gram lighter weight and a much lighter shaft along with a lite grip [what I was told anyway]. Thats what I have and I'm still getting used to it but I think I'm going to ditch the grip for my usual MCC plus 4 and cut 1 inch off shaft, I'm less than 5-9 and 45 3/4 is just to long for me. 

That may be the case and it makes sense from a design perspective but my comment was noting that Ping heads compared to other brands are heavier since the person I responded to talked about lighter heads and builds.

Those may create swing speed gains which allows for potential ball speed gain. Heavier heads can help create more ball speed for some 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I received a Ping G425 SFT with a Distanza shaft as a replacement for a cracked hostel on my beloved G400 SFT.  I had issues with there being too much draw bias with the G425, so Ping asked me to get fit for a G430.  After 160 mile each way trip from Key West to "America" and trying the range of G430's with respect to the G425 SFT, I ended up with the G430 Max with the new lightweight Ulta Quick shaft and the back weight the draw setting.   No light weight grip (as I needed midsized) or lighter weights.  With the G430 Max I got 2 more mph on my ball speed, less spin at just under 2500 rpm, a tighter distribution and nine yard longer drives.  More importantly, no hard right shots.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That may be the case and it makes sense from a design perspective but my comment was noting that Ping heads compared to other brands are heavier since the person I responded to talked about lighter heads and builds.

Those may create swing speed gains which allows for potential ball speed gain. Heavier heads can help create more ball speed for some .

Neat thing is those weights are readily available on Amazon aftermarket in a large variety of weights so experimenting would be a snap. As I understand it standard is 25 gram and H/l is 10 a quick search on amazon found a seller with weights starting at 5 grams and up to 34 grams, I would share the link but dont know if thats alllowed

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

My wife and I both tried the 430 at our lesson last week. We both have a 410s - her's is the go to driver and she really liked the 430 an thought she was getting extra distance with the ultra quick 35 g shaft (her 410 has the std 55 g Alta), My 410 is up north and sidelined. My go to driver is a SIM Max D with a  45g Airspeeder. I did not like the 430 at all. The club seemed very heavy and I definitely didn't like the sound = so it doesn't make my wish list. Her next step is to stop by our fitter up north and try the 35g shaft with her 410 head on a Trackman. She doesn't want to spend $600 unless she can get a substantial distance improvement. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 weeks later...

Since it took me a number of years to find a driver that I not only like but fits my game, I doubt I will be buying any new drivers for the time being.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

• 4 weeks later...

PING is known for producing high-quality golf clubs, and the G430 series is no exception. According to the website, the G430 driver has a larger head size and thinner face, which can result in increased ball speed and longer distances.

However, it's important to keep in mind that the performance of a club can vary depending on the individual golfer's swing and playing style. It's always a good idea to get fitted for a club by a professional to ensure that it's the right fit for you.

If you're considering upgrading from the G425 to the G430, it may be worth trying out the new club before making a purchase to see if you notice a significant improvement in your game.

if you want it... buy it!

worth is subjective and you'll know straight away in your heart if it's worth it to you.

make sure you have similar or same shaft when testing though (unless your swing changed).

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• 2 weeks later...

After 2 rounds with the G430 LST, yeah it is. It is long, it is forgiving and feels great too. 

I'm impressed!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Hmm interesting question, I am in the market for new hybrids and I had a 250$ credit at a course not far from Victoria. The pro there is a ping guy so he fit me for a beautiful 22 degree ping G430. With my credit I still owed 175.00 canadian. 
so, is it worth it, I know I wouldn’t have purchased it if I didn’t have 75 percent paid for, I believe all the manufacturers have quality product I suppose it comes down to preference. 
it is a great club and works well for me. 

committed to performance excellence

From my point of view, it is worth it if it works for you.  One size does not fit all.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was wondering the same before pulling the trigger on the G430 MAX. It was a no-brainer after reading a couple of reviews and comparing them myself. It has fulfilled my needs and more...

I don't know if you can do this here but I will link to the reviews below hope it helps :)

https://mygolfspy.com/reviews/drivers/ping-g430-max/

https://www.golfwrx.com/706534/what-golfwrxers-are-saying-about-the-most-forgiving-drivers/

https://pickygolf.com/best-golf-driver/

• 3 months later...

I recently got Fitted for the G430 Driver and 3 Wood, and I must say they are the best clubs I have ever bought. I had a G425 driver but you can tell that there is a massive feel diffrence between the two models and in my opinion the G430 is superior. I also have 425 irons I was fitted for however I am looking into the I59 irons because I no longer require cavity backs however I would assume that the irons are just as good as the woods and probably a better upgrade then the 425 irons.

• 4 weeks later...

I went from tsi3 to g430 max. Did not notice a difference distance wise on well struck shots, but the ping on off center strikes is really impressive and just wants to go straight. If you feel golf is a game of misses this is your driver ! 

Ping g430 10.5 hzrds 6.5 

titliest 4 wd and 3 hybrid

cobra forged tec 5-p

vokey sm7 52 56 60

• 2 weeks later...

I play the G430 SFT Driver which I upgraded from the G425. Now I liked the G425 but absolutely love the G430. I still have the G425's in my fairway woods and irons which I truly enjoy and haven't even thought about upgrading.

Edited by jolter1

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist