Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

#ASKMYGOLFSPY

GolfSpy_APH

27 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

The one thing they have undoubtedly made gains on is dispersion which I feel is much more important than distance anyway. 

I won't say dispersion; I would say forgiveness on off center strikes.   Left and right dispersion probably hasn't changed much but foreword to back dispersion  (consistent distance) has gotten better which means that ball speeds are more consistent across the face on miss hits.     If you hit the center most of the times,  you can get fairly consistent performance because of the driver limitations even if you go back 10 years.

I'd say irons are tougher to judge just because there are so many more options available that are designed to do different things.  Part of me thinks my old Cleveland TA7 Tour irons from 20 years ago are the best clubs I have ever played and that I should find a set and put them back in my bag 🙂   That said,  I would never go back that far with a driver or even 10 years based on doing some of the MGS tests comparing old versus new.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I won't say dispersion; I would say forgiveness on off center strikes.   Left and right dispersion probably hasn't changed much but foreword to back dispersion  (consistent distance) has gotten better which means that ball speeds are more consistent across the face on miss hits.     If you hit the center most of the times,  you can get fairly consistent performance because of the driver limitations even if you go back 10 years.

I'd say irons are tougher to judge just because there are so many more options available that are designed to do different things.  Part of me thinks my old Cleveland TA7 Tour irons from 20 years ago are the best clubs I have ever played and that I should find a set and put them back in my bag 🙂   That said,  I would never go back that far with a driver or even 10 years based on doing some of the MGS tests comparing old versus new.

The very best driver I've ever played is almost 10 years old now and that's hard to believe but when I say dispersion it is right to left and well as forward to back but left/right more than ever as the clubhead doesn't twist near as much on toe and heel strikes. If every shot I hit was center I suppose it wouldn't be as noticeable but I do not find the center as much as I would like to and that's the reason iam a 10 hdcp and playing a 4 iron off most tees on par 4 and 5s. You are correct with irons they have made really nice forged irons for quite awhile and there is only so much that can be done.

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

7 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

The very best driver I've ever played is almost 10 years old now and that's hard to believe but when I say dispersion it is right to left and well as forward to back but left/right more than ever as the clubhead doesn't twist near as much on toe and heel strikes. If every shot I hit was center I suppose it wouldn't be as noticeable but I do not find the center as much as I would like to and that's the reason iam a 10 hdcp and playing a 4 iron off most tees on par 4 and 5s. You are correct with irons they have made really nice forged irons for quite awhile and there is only so much that can be done.

I view clubhead twist at impact as a shaft thing.  The 70 yard wide dispersion that PGA pros have off the tee is because they deliver the club open or closed at impact.     

I also don't buy into the forged > cast argument.   Current clubs are not more components that single castings or forgings.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I view clubhead twist at impact as a shaft thing.  The 70 yard wide dispersion that PGA pros have off the tee is because they deliver the club open or closed at impact.     

I also don't buy into the forged > cast argument.   Current clubs are not more components that single castings or forgings.  

You don't buy what about forged irons??? I don't get it?? You think today's forged irons are much better than forged irons from 20 years ago??? If you think all of the twist is in the shaft I suggest looking into what happens to a head when it contacts a ball at 110 mph

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

44 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

You don't buy what about forged irons??? I don't get it?? You think today's forged irons are much better than forged irons from 20 years ago???   If you think all of the twist is in the shaft I suggest looking into what happens to a head when it contacts a ball at 110 mph

Maybe I misread your post to think you were saying forged was better than cast when you specifically mentioned forged irons.  depending on the type of club you are referencing some clubs are better than 20 years ago simply because they are multi-piece construction which allows for better placement that pure cast or pure forged.  

Yes, there is some deflection of the face; that is what is limited by the equipment rules.   Off center strikes cause  the shaft to torque which results in the ball going left/right.   I have seen slo-mo videos of driver impact and don't see much other than twisting of the shaft.   Point me to a video.  

Edited by cnosil

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Maybe I misread your post to think you were saying forged was better than cast when you specifically mentioned forged irons.  depending on the type of club you are referencing some clubs are better than 20 years ago simply because they are multi-piece construction which allows for better placement that pure cast or pure forged.  

Yes, there is some deflection of the face; that is what is limited by the equipment rules.   Off center strikes cause  the shaft to torque which results in the ball going left/right.   I have seen slo-mo videos of driver impact and don't see much other than twisting of the shaft.   Point me to a video.  

How you percieved me agreeing with you that irons are harder to compare due to the fact that forged irons from then until now haven't changed much is beyond me but I suggest reading it again 🤣

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1