Driver shaft length thoughts???

I've been playing my Taylormade Sim 2 Max at the stock 45 1/2 length, I was able to hit it well yet would spray the drives. I decided to cut it down from 45 1/2 inches to 44 1/4, What a difference, I gained approximately gain about 2 yds and the spraying has subsided.

I'm making better contact now and have become more consistent.

Has anyone experienced the same success? What has your results by going to a shorter or even a longer shaft in your driver? 

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

we found after several fittings that most golfers will do better with a shorter club. 

the quality of hit goes up resulting in longer drives and tighter dispersion

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

1 hour ago, McGolf said:

we found after several fittings that most golfers will do better with a shorter club. 

What is the 'cut down' range you've found in driver fittings? 1/2", 3/4"? or more? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

6 hours ago, buckpillar said:

I've been playing my Taylormade Sim 2 Max at the stock 45 1/2 length, I was able to hit it well yet would spray the drives. I decided to cut it down from 45 1/2 inches to 44 1/4, What a difference, I gained approximately gain about 2 yds and the spraying has subsided.

Has anyone experienced the same success? What has your results by going to a shorter or even a longer shaft in your driver? 

Same.  I experienced it the other way, I had a shorter shaft in my PING 400Max, then when I went to the PING 425 the shaft was longer (maybe 1 inch), can't hit it straight, reduced the shaft and the dispersion was better.  I am still playing the Max400 as I just like the contact and feel better, but for example with the shorter shaft yesterday on my home course, I was 11/13 FIR (my average is 53%), I feel it is much better for my swing.  But I only drive the ball about 200-210, I don't swing big either. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

2 hours ago, McGolf said:

As a club builder, you can cut the shaft to the appropriate length from a raw shaft and glue the proper adapter in place. But is it reasonable to cut down a shaft that it already tipped and fitted with a shaft adapter? I guess I'm asking where you make the cut; the butt section so only a new grip is needed, or the tip end where a new adapter needs to be installed? I have a spare Motore X F3 65R shaft that I'd like to experiment with, but I don't want to hose it by doing something stupid 😱 Thanks!

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

49 minutes ago, MIgregb said:

As a club builder, you can cut the shaft to the appropriate length from a raw shaft and glue the proper adapter in place. But is it reasonable to cut down a shaft that it already tipped and fitted with a shaft adapter? I guess I'm asking where you make the cut; the butt section so only a new grip is needed, or the tip end where a new adapter needs to be installed? I have a spare Motore X F3 65R shaft that I'd like to experiment with, but I don't want to hose it by doing something stupid 😱 Thanks!

Yes, most driver shafts are trimmed only at the butt unless you need tipping. If the shaft was originally a good fit, I would think butt trimming should work nicely for you. However, remember when you shorten the club the swing weight will be reduced so you might need to add weight to get the feel you desire.

SjW

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Same.  I experienced it the other way, I had a shorter shaft in my PING 400Max, then when I went to the PING 425 the shaft was longer (maybe 1 inch), can't hit it straight, reduced the shaft and the dispersion was better.  I am still playing the Max400 as I just like the contact and feel better, but for example with the shorter shaft yesterday on my home course, I was 11/13 FIR (my average is 53%), I feel it is much better for my swing.  But I only drive the ball about 200-210, I don't swing big either. 

fairways and greens is what its about, keep hitting the short grass. take care!

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

I was thinking about doing the same with my Ping, but I don't quite understand the weight dynamics and if I will need to add some type of weight.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

10 hours ago, buckpillar said:

After going into the Paradym TD this season at 45.5, I found my longest drives were when I would play that length but choking just a 1/2" down even made it so much more consistent. 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

26 minutes ago, SteveGH7 said:

I was thinking about doing the same with my Ping, but I don't quite understand the weight dynamics and if I will need to add some type of weight.

Might be best to get refitted, there is something about the shaft length and kick points along with shaft weight that you just need to work through in the fitting.  I just found that the shorter length help me have more control for accuracy and no impact on distance really. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

48 minutes ago, SteveGH7 said:

The moveable weight in the head of the newer Pings is available in multiple different weights from both ping and aftermarket / Ebay or Amazon . 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

1 hour ago, SteveGH7 said:

That is largely based on how you respond to the club.  I cut my g400 max down and it worked fine for me without any adjustments but I don’t notice swingweight changes.   You can always add lead tape or change the weights to be heavier if needed.   Figuring it out is trial and error; there is no “standard” that should be followed.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I mess around all the time with different shafts and lengths.  Last year I put a 46" shaft in my Titleist TSi 2 and gave it a few whacks.  The first drive went nowhere, the second drive carried about 20 yards further than my gamer 44 1/2" shaft.  Both were Hazrdus black 60g shafts.  

My swing speed averaged 155 with the longer shaft, 153 with the gamer.  However, it was a hit-and-chase evolution with the longer shaft as I had trouble squaring the face with any consistency.  I have a long swing and basically allow the force of rotation to close the club face at impact.  The longer shaft lagged behind and I was hitting it to right field a lot.  When I tried to speed up my hands, I started hitting duck hooks.  Because of the speed gain, I tried to make the longer shaft work for a couple of weeks, then returned to the 44 1/2" shaft due to the consistency issues.

After that, perhaps due to the messing-with-a-good-thing attempt, my driver went from being my best club to being left in the bag on shorter par 4's that I used to hit into.  I won't be trying that experiment again.  

XY

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

I have curved spine, un-even sets of muscles between the eyes and the belt, can't swing a normal length driver with any accuracy.  I have a 1 inch or 1.5 inch shorter shaft.  I still hit 3 wood better.  Like fairways?  Trim a 1/2 inch or more.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

On 7/31/2023 at 7:52 AM, tony@CIC said:

What is the 'cut down' range you've found in driver fittings? 1/2", 3/4"? or more? 

The average is about 44.5" drivers so in typical comparisons would be about an inch.

That is the bunch under the bell curve for sure.  44.5 to 44.75 ish.

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

24 minutes ago, McGolf said:

The average is about 44.5" drivers so in typical comparisons would be about an inch.

Are you finding most of them are needing to add weight afterwards?

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

Would you add weight to the butt end to compensate for the added length?

-XY

On 8/1/2023 at 10:15 AM, GolferXY said:

Would you add weight to the butt end to compensate for the added length?

I added a heavier sliding weight to my Epic Flash Tour Certified driver (19 gram instead of stock 15 gram).  Considering adding some hot melt as I am still getting too much elevation even with the 8.5* head turned down to 7.5* and the shaft is a 70 gram TX shaft tipped another 1".  However, it's WAY more stable and almost as long as it was before I cut the shaft 1", so it's already a huge win for me going shorter.  Still normally getting over 110 swing speed as an almost 50 year old.

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15° 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - C1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on irons and wedges (plus fairway) / Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize on Driver / Hybrid
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour

On 8/1/2023 at 10:33 AM, McGolf said:

I recently went for a fitting where I ended up at 44.25.  My smash factor went way up, my ball speed and distance a bit and my dispersion much better.  Hitting it far more solidly than before.  The sad thing is that I was "fit" for my previous two drivers into the stock length.  I even asked my fitter on both occasions if he didn't think shorter might be better for me (I've been fit before to something between 44 and 45.)  It seems that different fitters have different opinions on this matter.  I'm settled in on needing under 45 for certain.  I always eventually get into trouble when I'm at 45 or above.  It's fine when I'm swinging well - we all know that story, right?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've gone shorter a few times in the past and added some lead tape to the head to compensate but I never really noticed any major gains. What's worked better for me is a mid-sized grip and a couple of layers of tape so I can choke down a bit and still feel like I have a solid grip on the club. 

When I went for my Mizuno driver fitting, the fitter was fine with the stock length for me based on my impact patters, there was nothing that said to him I needed to shorten things up. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 7/31/2023 at 10:11 PM, GolferXY said:

I mess around all the time with different shafts and lengths.  Last year I put a 46" shaft in my Titleist TSi 2 and gave it a few whacks.  The first drive went nowhere, the second drive carried about 20 yards further than my gamer 44 1/2" shaft.  Both were Hazrdus black 60g shafts.  

My swing speed averaged 155 with the longer shaft, 153 with the gamer.  However, it was a hit-and-chase evolution with the longer shaft as I had trouble squaring the face with any consistency.  I have a long swing and basically allow the force of rotation to close the club face at impact.  The longer shaft lagged behind and I was hitting it to right field a lot.  When I tried to speed up my hands, I started hitting duck hooks.  Because of the speed gain, I tried to make the longer shaft work for a couple of weeks, then returned to the 44 1/2" shaft due to the consistency issues.

After that, perhaps due to the messing-with-a-good-thing attempt, my driver went from being my best club to being left in the bag on shorter par 4's that I used to hit into.  I won't be trying that experiment again.  

XY

Dang , your swing speed is almost as high as my ball speed. Keep crushing it !

SjW

On 8/1/2023 at 10:58 AM, SteveGH7 said:

Are you finding most of them are needing to add weight afterwards?

not at all

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

2 hours ago, BCases said:

Dang , your swing speed is almost as high as my ball speed. Keep crushing it !

LOL, that is ball speed of course.  Swing speed is 105.  

-XY

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I recently went for a fitting where I ended up at 44.25.  My smash factor went way up, my ball speed and distance a bit and my dispersion much better.  Hitting it far more solidly than before.  The sad thing is that I was "fit" for my previous two drivers into the stock length.  I even asked my fitter on both occasions if he didn't think shorter might be better for me (I've been fit before to something between 44 and 45.)  It seems that different fitters have different opinions on this matter.  I'm settled in on needing under 45 for certain.  I always eventually get into trouble when I'm at 45 or above.  It's fine when I'm swinging well - we all know that story, right?

I really need to look at this. I also got fit and told stock was fine. I am just getting more heel strikes this year and it’s hurting my distance and FIR stats big time. Need to think about another fitting for shaft length. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

1 hour ago, KC Golf said:

I really need to look at this. I also got fit and told stock was fine. I am just getting more heel strikes this year and it’s hurting my distance and FIR stats big time. Need to think about another fitting for shaft length. 

I’ll save you some money and possibly time. You would need to go to a club champion, TruSpec, type place to do a true shaft lefty fitting as most retail shops and fitters only carry stock length and maybe a few shorter ones

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/960350-diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ll save you some money and possibly time. You would need to go to a club champion, TruSpec, type place to do a true shaft lefty fitting as most retail shops and fitters only carry stock length and maybe a few shorter ones

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/960350-diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/

Wow. Thanks for the info.  This is awesome. This will save me some cash and time!

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

8 minutes ago, KC Golf said:

Wow. Thanks for the info.  This is awesome. This will save me some cash and time!

You’re welcome 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with basically all the posts here.  I did an experiment over the summer slowly cutting my driver down (trying not to go too short and regret it).  I did it with an older shaft, than matched my gamer later (similar profiles, older vs newer version).

In the end I was down to a 44.25", and it had changed my game.  The stock 45.5" definitely gave me higher swing speed, but was inconsistent on strike.  When I caught it clean, it gave me the best numbers, but that was 1 in 5 at best.  The rest of the hits had diminishing returns depending on strike location.  With the shorter shaft I am getting less speed, but finding the middle much more consistently which has led to better smash factor and dispersion.  

While I may have lost 15 or so yards on a centered strike, I am much more likely to be in the fairway.  Less looking in the woods, chipping out, or being blocked out on my shot into a green has definitely translated to better scores, even if am a little further out.  I know strokes gained data would dispute this, but for me it's been a game changer.

Ping G425LST 9* Accra TZ6

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 wood, GD AD IZ 6s

Titleist TSi2 18* hybrid, Evenflow blue

Taylormade p770/p7MC combo

Callaway Jaws 50 / 54 / 58

Taylormade Spider GT 33" w/ Stability Shaft

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 12:05 AM, buckpillar said:

Careful changing length of shafts as it will effect lie angles as well, just a thought. 

:callaway-small:Driver: Paradym Triple Diamond

:taylormade-small:3 Wood: Stealth Plus

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Stealth Plus 

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:taylormade-small:Wedges: MG2 50* MG3 54* and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1