Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Talk to me about your go-to premium golf ball!

Shlax

I don't play too often so it does not bother me to pay for a premium ball.  

My preference is the Prov1x.  It has a consistent spin and approach distance that is the go to part of my game.  That being said, I have also mixed it up with the TP5x balls I have been gifted this year.  The TP5 balls are comparable but I just like the feel performance of the ProVs.  If I start to play more, I would likely play the Vice Pro Plus. They are the closest, less expensive, alternative to the ProVs I have found.

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.” -Arnold Palmer

On 9/17/2023 at 5:58 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

I have tried the Vice Zero so if I was looking for a cheap or winter ball that would be it. Pretty soon leaves are going to start falling and finding golf balls could become a lot more difficult. 

I intend to stick with Vice for the forseesble future. I get great numbers from the pro plus. Enjoy the feel and overall performance along with Price. 

Difference between zero and pro plus really isn't that much either.

+1 to Vice... price/performance is unbeatable...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

41 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

+1 to Vice... price/performance is unbeatable...

I’ll admit I was surprised by Vice.   I typically cast aside Vice balls when I find them but after losing a couple of balls this past weekend I grabbed a Vice Pro and gave it a try.  Distance was really good and my pitches and chips were checking up quickly.  Definitely a ball I need to look at in more detail. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I’ll admit I was surprised by Vice.   I typically cast aside Vice balls when I find them but after losing a couple of balls this past weekend I grabbed a Vice Pro and gave it a try.  Distance was really good and my pitches and chips were checking up quickly.  Definitely a ball I need to look at in more detail. 

Welcome to the dark side!

Just found a comparison I did 2 years ago on another Vice thread:

On the European Snell website, the biggest savings you can get is buying 12 dozen, which translates to EUR 3,16/ball. As a DTC brand, not many savings there compared to the big buys:

TP5x EUR 3,2/ball
ProV1 EUR 3,33/ball
Chrome Soft EUR 3,4/ball
Z-Star EUR 3,3/ball

Last time I bought Vice, was able to score each ball for EUR 2. (retail for EUR 2,69/ball @ 5 dozen)

So for about 60% extra cost, I sure as hell ain't seeing 60% gain in performance/length 🤣

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I really like the Vice Pro as well. It's a touch less spin than the 2021 ProV1 (I haven't compared against the 2023 ProV1), which actually made it tougher for me to game at the time. I'm a sucker for finding a bunch of balls that are pretty close to each other and then swapping around from one round to the next... Maxfli Tour on a Thursday, ProV1 on a Saturday... Vice Pro being lower spin meant I had more of an adjustment to make as it was going too far! 🙂

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 hour ago, GregGarner said:

I really like the Vice Pro as well.

I had one of my best driving days ever using the Vice Pro yesterday (I like the yellow and green drip), despite much cooler temperatures and early morning dew!

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: PXG 0211DC 5-GW w/ MMT 60 A Flex
Wedges: Kirkland 52°/56°/60° w/ True Temper Shafts
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet / Cobra King Nova / Toulon Portland
Ball:  Callaway ERC Soft / Snell MTB Black / Sugar Pure / Vice Pro

I just picked up 5 dozen Vice Pro Plus Shade balls.  I love the coloring, and I find the distance and spin to be pretty reasonable for me.  I also like the generally reasonable cost, and that I can easily purchase more as I need them.

I do use RCT ProV1xs for my FlightScope Mevo+ at home, but I believe that they should be generally pretty similar to the Vice Pro Plus balls (at least good enough for me).

Srixon ZX5 MKII

I generally play a mid tier ball like the Q Star Tours or OnCore Elixr.  As far as premium balls go, I really like the Chromesoft Truvis yellow.  I play yellow balls because I have trouble picking up white balls when they are in the air.  The yellow and black contrast of the Truvis really stands out to me making them easy even easier to follow.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I've mostly played TP5's the last year and a half, but my favorite ball to play if money was no object would be the ProV1. I really have trouble justifying $55/dozen even when I don't lose that many balls at this point. I had a gift card and was curious to try the ProV1x Left Dash so I bought a dozen of those and I hate them. Distance is amazing off the driver, but they are hard as a rock and it just doesn't work for my irons and short game. I'm young-ish and swing fairly hard against an average amateur, but I feel like I have trouble compressing these balls with irons. I have two sleeves left and I'll probably give them to a buddy that's good and swings much harder. 

I've enjoyed the Maxfli Tours in the past, but always go back to TP5's because I love the feel. However, with the latest MGS golf ball test, I will no longer be playing TP5's due to the lack of distance off the tee. I just purchased a dozen Vice Pro Plus drips to try out. A little harder than a TP5/ProV1, but not anywhere close to the ProV1x Left Dash. And if I don't like the Vice's, I'll probably bite the bullet and play ProV1's moving forward. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

1 hour ago, brogies said:

I've mostly played TP5's the last year and a half, but my favorite ball to play if money was no object would be the ProV1. I really have trouble justifying $55/dozen even when I don't lose that many balls at this point. I had a gift card and was curious to try the ProV1x Left Dash so I bought a dozen of those and I hate them. Distance is amazing off the driver, but they are hard as a rock and it just doesn't work for my irons and short game. I'm young-ish and swing fairly hard against an average amateur, but I feel like I have trouble compressing these balls with irons. I have two sleeves left and I'll probably give them to a buddy that's good and swings much harder. 

I've enjoyed the Maxfli Tours in the past, but always go back to TP5's because I love the feel. However, with the latest MGS golf ball test, I will no longer be playing TP5's due to the lack of distance off the tee. I just purchased a dozen Vice Pro Plus drips to try out. A little harder than a TP5/ProV1, but not anywhere close to the ProV1x Left Dash. And if I don't like the Vice's, I'll probably bite the bullet and play ProV1's moving forward. 

Yeah I have some TP5s I need to figure out what to do with. I gave some TP5s to a buddy, he complained they weren't as long as Pro V1, I thought he was exaggerating but it seems like he wasn't. He didn't complain about the TP5x as much. 

For the Vice guys out there, anybody notice a big difference between the Vice Pro and Vice Pro Plus? I am testing the Pro Plus just for the extra distance, but spin results were very close with the Pro. Assuming the Pro Plus is just a bit harder, but after doing some chipping in my house, the Pro Plus feels nowhere near the ProV1x Left Dash. Just curious.

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

18 hours ago, brogies said:

I've got some TP5s that I'll trade you for the rest of your Left Dashes... 😄

Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)

Tested:

1 hour ago, GregGarner said:

You still peddling TP5's? 🤣  I still put those in play but have been kind of stuck on the odd ball in Titleist's premium line up... the AVX.  Have you tried these?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

11 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

You still peddling TP5's? 🤣  I still put those in play but have been kind of stuck on the odd ball in Titleist's premium line up... the AVX.  Have you tried these?

The 5's have been tough to sell. The X's went quick! I'm really enjoying the Left Dash, but I could probably benefit from the lower flight of the AVX. Haven't seriously tried the 2022's though. The prior gen was so soft that after about 3 shots, I just couldn't do it. I like the feedback from a firmer ball and the AVX is SO squishy

Tested:

2020-2021 Gamer: Titleist tour speed

2022-2023 Gamer: TM Tour Response

Tourny Gamer: Titleist prov1x Left dash

You can notice a trend of why I play these balls.. I need spin knocked off my shots.  These three have helped with that tremendously.   I test numbers on my sim so these 3 work for my swing. 

WITB

12 minutes ago, GregGarner said:

The 5's have been tough to sell. The X's went quick! I'm really enjoying the Left Dash, but I could probably benefit from the lower flight of the AVX. Haven't seriously tried the 2022's though. The prior gen was so soft that after about 3 shots, I just couldn't do it. I like the feedback from a firmer ball and the AVX is SO squishy

I don't notice that at my CHS but definitely see a lower, more penetrating ball flight.  Based on the handful of H2H tests against the PV1, distance and green holding are the same.  I would have thought the lower trajectory off the tee would lose me some distance but that's not the case. 

A few years ago, we had that Titleist on-line/phone ball fitting offer through MGS.  The AVX and PV1 were the recommended balls.  I found a great buy on the AVX earlier this summer and have been playing them most of the season.  They seem to be a bit of an oddity within their line-up.  I have no idea how they sell and wonder if they'll continue to produce them.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

7 hours ago, GregGarner said:

I'm trying to get rid of my TP5s lol.

I have been playing the ProV1x for a long while but am down to the last 8-10 and have a couple dozen Kirkland sitting in the office.  I found one and played a round and liked the feel so picked them up for under $30.  I have also been looking at the TP5x.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Man, if I had to narrow it down to one single ball it would have to be the Vice Pro. Price is hard to beat and the performance is great. If TP5x or Chrome Soft X LS go on sale I'll always grab some as well. I would love to try some Srixon balls but just haven't got around to just yet.

Aloha,

ParNone (I hardly make Pars, it's mostly Bogeys LOL)

Driver Cobra LTDx

5W Cobra Radspeed

Takomo 4Ui

Takomo 101 Irons 4-PW

Cleveland CBX ZipCore Wedges 48,52,58

Putter Odyssey Stroke Lab Versa 7 

Ball Vice Pro

On 9/18/2023 at 4:21 PM, Shlax said:

Just played a round today with a Snell MTB Black.

Spin and zip off wedges was absolutely crazy, never seen anything like it to be honest.

I’m really starting to get caught in the DTC balls train and I haven’t found anything bad about them yet!

An update on my last sentence is required. I played my second round with the Snell MTB Black and boy did it get wrecked! I’ve never seen a ball less durable. The urethane cover was trashed by the 4th hole (no it did not land on the cart path😅). I guess that my wedges (TaylorMade MG2 with raw face) just tore the cover right off. My 8-iron tee shot on the par 3 4th hole flew all wonky like a bad range ball. I couldn’t explain the ball flight and sure enough, when I got to my ball, it was majorly scuffed and the cover was peeling at some point.

I should have taken a picture but just gave it to my beginner playing partner who loses 10+ ball per round so he doesn’t really care about the state of the ball.

It was a good ball for the 8 holes that it lasted…

On 8/16/2023 at 11:39 AM, Shlax said:

Personally, my go-to balls are:

• Srixon Z-Star (6.71$/ball): To me, it's a very similar ball to the Pro V1 only it comes on sale (40-50% off) multiple times during the season so I can stack up as needed for a very reasonable price.

On the other hand, Srixon strikes again.

Just scored a "buy 1 get one free" at the pro shop of my home course. Went for a dozen of the Z-Star DIVIDE (white and yellow) and a dozen of the Z-Star DIAMOND (never tried this one but MGS’ 2023 ball test convinced be to give it a go).

D: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.0ebce72d60b9ee4e1161e241fbbd9429.png Rogue ST Max LS 9° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d0d357367dfa8603e4c4c28d6264026b.png Rogue White 130 MSI 70X

3W: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Sim Max 15° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6803317b2b3571b718d8c629a4de5c56.png Ventus Blue FW 6S

3H: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6cb9c9932faadee028fda9a351832472.png TSi3 20° / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9a635b7848f15fd4613c0dfb4aad00e0.png Smoke Black RDX 6.0 80HYB

4i-PW: image.png.54cd730cdbf83f1301bb01ca97353cf9.png 01CB / Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.2d7f7e831dcd320c5c5d06d9d07a8556.png Tour 130X 2023 tester

52°-56°-60°: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Milled Grind 2 / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.76d14504ff83a37b897afbd6c4a1f0e0.png S200

PCapturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.cf5a492ebe80529a929e3f89cb5060c7.png DFX 2-ball

Ball: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9ff2829469d46ce26b695253efbcd6a1.png Q-Star Tour & Z-Star and Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png TP5 & TP5x

Grips: D-3W: image.png.ec39cb9c1e60dc5987a37598700b82cc.png Z-Grip Cord / 3H-PW: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Crossline 360 / Wedges: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Genesis Crossline Cord

Bag: image.png.45e8d8c11fdf4042fc63eb6c5195276e.png Anyday Ronin 14 2024 tester

Stat tracking: image.png.d3672a19dde52cc71c030458c62e5421.png X5

• 1 month later...

Been very happy with the Vice Pro.  Drives are straighter, chips are clean and putts roll very well.  

Great price point / have bought a few dozen and will continue to do so.

Ping G425 Max

callaway epic 3w

callaway razr 4h

cobra 7w

Callaway  4-9 irons  razr Pw

callaway jaws 50/52/56 

scottie phantom 5.5

Want to give a shout out to the Wilson Staff non coated Triad. Read a review and decided to try them on a whim. Am pleasantly surprised. Good distance, very little spin off the driver. Handles the wind well. Stops well when hit into the green. Am 78 yrs young and hitting 220/230 with my drives yesterday. Approach shots into the green were excellent. Good on the greens also. Think I found something to help my game. Was playing Tour Response, PXG and ProV1. Will play these for now. 

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

The only ball I play is the Callaway Chrome Soft.

:callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST Max Driver 12.5 degree with 

:taylormade-small: SIM 2 Max 5 wood

:callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST Max 4 hybrid

:cobra-small: LTDX One Length 5 hybrid, 6 thru SW irons with :kbs: shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Studio Style Newport 2.5 putter

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft triple track golf balls

:ShotScope: Connex Mobile Enabled Performance Tracking Tags

On 9/17/2023 at 8:34 AM, SeniorGolfer said:

I have been waiting for the MGS ball test results to help me find the best Winter substitute for the Pro V1x that I use all Summer. I don’t lose many balls at my home course, but during the 5 Winter months I spend in Myrtle Beach, my losses go way up. I have decided the Vice Pro is a good candidate based on the test results, but like you, I am in Canada and not able to access DTC balls reasonably. I did notice that I could buy a single dozen of the prior gen Vice Pro balls from Amazon, so I am using these to test out until I head south. If they work out well, I’ll be able to order the current gen balls while I’m in Myrtle Beach. 

Check Walmart when you’re in myrtle Beach. My local Walmart carries the vice pro balls, I’d just never heard of them. 

Jnr

I've given up playing different balls and have settled on the Maxfli Tour S... yellow for winter and white for summer.  

While I like the PV1, the Maxfli is a little longer and I don't play spin much anyway.  If I did play spin around the green, I would go with Titleist, but the Maxfli Tour series spins enough and cost is a big factor especially when the 4 box deal is offered by Dick's down the street.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...

I usually play Prov1's  and TP5's outside.  My local golf shop got a carton of left dash prov1's sent to them by accident.  No idea if they will be more available next year, but I bought 7 dozen lol.  Haven't tried on my sim.  Will try some on my Palm Springs trip this winter.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

On 11/30/2023 at 4:25 PM, Shifty said:

I usually play Prov1's  and TP5's outside.  My local golf shop got a carton of left dash prov1's sent to them by accident.  No idea if they will be more available next year, but I bought 7 dozen lol.  Haven't tried on my sim.  Will try some on my Palm Springs trip this winter.

well if they don't work out for you... 🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️

Tested:

ProV1 for me. Both my club pro, Chris Nelson, and the Titleist ball fitter put me in the ProV1.  If you can keep the ball from landing on cart paths or going for a swim, the quality of the cover will allow you to play the ball for multiple rounds.

🏌️‍♂️