Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Iron recommendations for high swing speed players with inconsistent strikes?

jbsap

As the title says. Looking for some recommendations for irons that may work well for players with high swing speeds that have inconsistent strikes.  I know the easy answer is go get fit. Looking for some input from longer term experiences than an hour long session. I’ve been fit into everything from an mc to players distance over the years. At one point I’ve been pushing a single digit handicap, swinging 3-4 times a week throughout the year. Now I’m lucky to get out twice a month and that will reduce further still in 2024 with another kid on the way and my swing reflects it. Just looking for something to help enjoy playing a little more with sub par strikes. Currently gaming p770’s 4-p. Attack is steep, driver ss is 115 ish for reference. 

D=Stealth 2 - Accra TZ RPG Tour M4+ 462 (D7)
FW = Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond - Tensei AV White 75 Tour X(D5)
Ping iCrossover 3 iron - Hzrdus Red RDX 6.5(D5)
4-5 =Titleist T100 - Modus 120X - 2 Deg. Flat (D6)
6-P =Titleist 620CB - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat, 1 Deg. Strong (D6)
50/54 =Callaway Jaws Raw - Modus 120X 2 Deg. Flat (D6, D7)
58= Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat (D7)
Putter - Taylormade Spider Ghost (2024) 
Ball - Titleist ProV1X Left Dash
Bag - Vessel Players 3 Carbon Navy

Any recommendations are going to be guesses and will be as good as anything you picked.

Swing speed doesn’t have the role in picking iron type or shaft that people think it does.

As far as forgiveness goes longer iron head lengths will provide more forgivness.

You are better off going somewhere and demoing what’s available and seeing what you like than go thru some shafts to find what works best for your swing. The other option is to get a fitting from a reputable fitter

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

23 hours ago, jbsap said:

As the title says. Looking for some recommendations for irons that may work well for players with high swing speeds that have inconsistent strikes.  I know the easy answer is go get fit. Looking for some input from longer term experiences than an hour long session. I’ve been fit into everything from an mc to players distance over the years. At one point I’ve been pushing a single digit handicap, swinging 3-4 times a week throughout the year. Now I’m lucky to get out twice a month and that will reduce further still in 2024 with another kid on the way and my swing reflects it. Just looking for something to help enjoy playing a little more with sub par strikes. Currently gaming p770’s 4-p. Attack is steep, driver ss is 115 ish for reference. 

I like my Srixon set, the combo of the Zx7 and Zx5 really works well for me. I'm not as fast as you but can get up over 110 if my body is feeling good that day. But one thing that you can consider is the wood bat vs metal bat analogy, similar to a GI iron to a players style. The more forgiveness you have on the face is theoretically better, but if you're hitting it off the planet it doesn't matter. So with irons going with something that is not going to punish you on the mishits ( Like the Srixon's) but that still requires you to dial in you swing to maybe a 3/4 back swing you're game will be better off. It's an accuracy game with the iron so you need to go with a club and more importantly a swing that can produce more accurate shots. 

Hope that helps

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>