Am I unreasonable?

Bourbon_Soaked

I have been looking for a new putter most of the summer. I know that I like the feel of a high MOI putter with my arcless stroke. I drove to a golf place here on the west side of Michigan about an hour away from my house because I know they have a massive selection and I can try out all the options. 

After testing a bunch of putters I come to clear winner for me, the Odyssey two ball ten tour lined. I love the feel, weight, balance and alignment aids. And the price is pretty good. Brand new.

I go to buy it and ask for the head cover because they keep all the head covers in a storage room. They don't have one in blue to match the putter. They have plenty of red just not blue. Thats fine I don't mind a red cover for the blue. 

They then inform me if I want the red cover they have to charge me for it. The will give me a generic triple track head cover that doesn't quite fit. It's rounded and the two ball ten is squared. 

It buy it and as I'm walking to my car I realize I'm disappointed. I don't want this not matching head cover for my putter that I'm spending hundreds of dollars on. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on something that is giving me a feeling of disappointment. 

The whole process was excitement. Going there. Excited. Trying out all the putters l. Excited. Finding the one. Excited. The price. Excited. Purchased it. Disappointed. 

Does it effect the putter. Can I buy the right cover. Probably. Will I buy a baller dumb third party head cover for it. Probably eventually. 

Anyway I went back in and tryed to get them to hook me up with the red one again. They wouldn't. I returned the putter then and there. I would rather be disappointed on not spending money than disappointed on spending it. 

Am I ridiculous? Is it unfair of me to have expected them to hook me up with the red head cover? What would have you done?

I'll probably just stick to the proshops by my house or go to the east side to Carl's if I want to test from a huge selection. I just don't know if I'll shop somewhere again that let's me spend a couple c notes and walk away disappointed in my purchase. Which is a drag, they are very close to my inlaws and its a nice place to escape to on long visits. 

Sorry about the rambling post. This is going to bother me all weekend. 

Edited by Bourbon_Soaked

D - Adams Super S speedline

3W - tour edge E523

3H - TaylorMade i7

4H-PW - Wilson Staff D300

GW/SW/LW - Kirkland

Putter - Nike Mc-i5 Method core

25 handicap with aspirations of 13

Nah. It’s a red flag for me if the shop I’m buying a club from doesn’t have the matching entire product. 

I returned a driver back to a shop a day after the owner tried to sell my the new head with a demo shaft to pass it along as new so I could play it sooner. Was it the same, maybe close but in my head it felt greasy. 

Order it online or go to another shop. You’re not being silly at all. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

That's a load of horse puckey! My Evnroll came with the cover, both of them and when I was considering a PXG during my fitting they weren't going to charge me extra for a headcover. Although I am not a Cameron fan, they all have covers. Pick another brand that isn't trying to nickel and dime a golfer into the poor house.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable at all. Given the fact that they didn’t have the correct head cover in stock, the very least they should have done is offer the red one that actually fit the putter. 

Another option would be the Callaway Pre-owned site, now that you know exactly what you want. It will be cheaper than Maple Hill, everything I’ve bought from the site has shown up in better condition than it was listed and most of the items have come with their original head covers. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

WITB:

D: :ping-small: G430 Max 10k ping 2.0 65s

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-7i:  :titleist-small: T200 recoil 110 s

7i-PW: :titleist-small: T150 recoil 110 s

52°, 56° & 60°: Kirkland V2 

P:   :EVNROLL: ER2 

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

IMO,  buying new you should get the stock provided headcover.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable at all. Given the fact that they didn’t have the correct head cover in stock, the very least they should have done is offer the red one that actually fit the putter. 

Another option would be the Callaway Pre-owned site, now that you know exactly what you want. It will be cheaper than Maple Hill, everything I’ve bought from the site has shown up in better condition than it was listed and most of the items have come with their original head covers. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

OoooOOOoooOo. I didn't even think about looking there. Thank you!

3W - tour edge E523

3H - TaylorMade i7

GW/SW/LW - Kirkland

Just now, cnosil said:

IMO,  buying new you should get the stock provided headcover.   

That's what I thought. The boys group chat is of the same mind too. 

3W - tour edge E523

3H - TaylorMade i7

GW/SW/LW - Kirkland

I don't believe you're being unreasonable at all, you're spending your hard earned money and expect to get what you pay for. I find it crazy that they didn't have the right cover for the putter you were purchasing of it was brand new and if it had been my business, I would have made accommodations to get you the cover that went with it or not have charged you for the red one.

I agree with @Ben Joest, look around online and if they have it on Callaway Preowned is purchase it there. 

Best of luck to you!

You did the right thing by returning it. I have never seen a NEW putter sold without the original hardcover. 

Unreasonable, absolutely not.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

What does hook you up mean?

if it’s give you the red one for free then no they shouldn’t have because they told you it would cost to get it. You said you didn’t mind the red one.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Nothing wrong with the way you handled that. New putter should have a new headcover that’s meant for that putter without an extra cost. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

Not unreasonable at all. Them not having the proper headcover is their problem not yours. If they were at all interested in customer satisfaction then  they would have provided a properly fitting headcover at no extra cost. If store is out to nickel and dime customers they aren’t worth one’s business. Given the price of golf equipment these days, you need to be happy with your purchase.

image.png.ec65754993cb81a3d0a7d15c70ab8fd1.png  Anyday Maverick Black Ops 7-way

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Fujikura Motore X F3

:PXG:0211 Hybrid 3 19° w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

image.png.0f5b009ff3d83fdae5e2e361f9676226.png DF3 w/BGT Stability ONE Forum Test

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:OnCore: Elixr 

:Clicgear: 3.5+

If it bothers you, it bothers you, doesn’t really matter why. However, I think you have a legitimate reason assuming reasonable price was within the norm for that putter. Normally new  bc putters come with a head cover, that’s a reasonable expectation on your part.  

If the store is known for below normal prices because it does things like buying stuff in bulk that have blemishes or other defects, like no head cover, and then offers them at discounted prices then you should expect to get what you pay for.

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

I agree with all the others - if you're buying brand new you'd expect to get the OEM headcover that comes with the putter and fits. 

Definitely check CPO if you don't mind used, now that you know what you want. Or I'm sure there are plenty of other places you could get the putter new plus the actual headcover with it.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

If you don't feel comfortable don't buy it. Did they give you a side eye after you went to return it?

However I am curious on a few things, Had you fell in love with the red putter would they have given you red cover? Maybe they have equal red putter to cover combos and if the give a red one they are only shorting someone else down the road. Last did you pay MSRP? If it was discounted because of age, condition or available accessories the salesperson probably could have done better explaining why a headcover wasn't given and why others had an upcharge. If it was full price with no headcover that should have been included shame on them.

I've worked in retail and been in situations like this, I calmly explan the options with reasons/justifications for cost related conditions. And at the end I as politely as possibly say here's your options.. make a decision. But that only works if the salesperson does an effective job explaining the situation.

D & 3W Mizuno ST-Z

3i & 4i Mizuno CLK Hybrid

5i-PW Cobra Forged Tec

50, 54, 58 Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Spider X

1 hour ago, BillyEnforcee said:

If you don't feel comfortable don't buy it. Did they give you a side eye after you went to return it?

However I am curious on a few things, Had you fell in love with the red putter would they have given you red cover? Maybe they have equal red putter to cover combos and if the give a red one they are only shorting someone else down the road. Last did you pay MSRP? If it was discounted because of age, condition or available accessories the salesperson probably could have done better explaining why a headcover wasn't given and why others had an upcharge. If it was full price with no headcover that should have been included shame on them.

I've worked in retail and been in situations like this, I calmly explan the options with reasons/justifications for cost related conditions. And at the end I as politely as possibly say here's your options.. make a decision. But that only works if the salesperson does an effective job explaining the situation.

Yea, no side eye or anything. They didnt explain why they would have to charge me for the other cover, just that it didn't go with it so they would have to. And yea, it's a pretty good price, looking it up it is the 2021 model. 

I spent too many years in retail to ever be a dick to any one in a retail setting. The whole exchange was amicable and civil. And that's why I'm asking here, I don't feel like they were trying to screw me over, just I have spent so much time in retail that if I am working with customer who is being decent but looking for what seems to me to be a small concession, you do it and send them on their way happy. But I have never been in Golf retail so I don't actually know if it is a small concession or not. 

And yea if I got the red I would have gotten the red cover. I just didn't like the feel off the face as much and wasn't as comfortable with the distance.

And I may still go back and get it. Is it worth my remaining dignity and minor ego to sacrifice helping me make less 3 putts? Perhaps I'll see through a brick wall in time.

Edited by Bourbon_Soaked

3W - tour edge E523

3H - TaylorMade i7

GW/SW/LW - Kirkland

When you think about it working in a high volume golf store probably isn't the most enjoyable. The amount of different personalities that come in day-to-day is probably exhausting therefore the lack of communication from them during your interaction. (Not suggesting at all that you carried any of these)

But like average golfers who think they are scratch or poor golfers who should probably spend $ on lessons instead of the new driver when last years model "just doesn't feel right" and so on. 

In the end if the club is meant for you and you for it, buy it. Maybe just try a different store if you felt like they don't deserve your business.

Edited by BillyEnforcee

D & 3W Mizuno ST-Z

3i & 4i Mizuno CLK Hybrid

5i-PW Cobra Forged Tec

50, 54, 58 Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Spider X

So an out of cycle putter, no expectation for a cover. Sounds like by hook up you do mean give it to you for free.

Definitely being unreasonable 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

So I have an update. 

I emailed their customer service. Not looking for special treatment but because I work for a large retailer ( not golf, industrial supplies) and I know we appreciate good feedback. 

The rep I have been talking to has been great and found the proper blue and white cover that goes with it. I'll have it Tuesday. 

He appreciated the direct communication and the ability to do some investigation rather than just leaving a one star review flaming them. That's not my style but a good customer service experience in the end I think is more satisfying than a smooth transaction from the start. Maybe I'm still just nuttier than squirrel poo. 

Thank you for everyone's input. 

3W - tour edge E523

3H - TaylorMade i7

GW/SW/LW - Kirkland

On 9/2/2023 at 1:37 AM, Bourbon_Soaked said:

I have been looking for a new putter most of the summer. I know that I like the feel of a high MOI putter with my arcless stroke. I drove to a golf place here on the west side of Michigan about an hour away from my house because I know they have a massive selection and I can try out all the options. 

After testing a bunch of putters I come to clear winner for me, the Odyssey two ball ten tour lined. I love the feel, weight, balance and alignment aids. And the price is pretty good. Brand new.

I go to buy it and ask for the head cover because they keep all the head covers in a storage room. They don't have one in blue to match the putter. They have plenty of red just not blue. Thats fine I don't mind a red cover for the blue. 

They then inform me if I want the red cover they have to charge me for it. The will give me a generic triple track head cover that doesn't quite fit. It's rounded and the two ball ten is squared. 

It buy it and as I'm walking to my car I realize I'm disappointed. I don't want this not matching head cover for my putter that I'm spending hundreds of dollars on. I dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on something that is giving me a feeling of disappointment. 

The whole process was excitement. Going there. Excited. Trying out all the putters l. Excited. Finding the one. Excited. The price. Excited. Purchased it. Disappointed. 

Does it effect the putter. Can I buy the right cover. Probably. Will I buy a baller dumb third party head cover for it. Probably eventually. 

Anyway I went back in and tryed to get them to hook me up with the red one again. They wouldn't. I returned the putter then and there. I would rather be disappointed on not spending money than disappointed on spending it. 

Am I ridiculous? Is it unfair of me to have expected them to hook me up with the red head cover? What would have you done?

I'll probably just stick to the proshops by my house or go to the east side to Carl's if I want to test from a huge selection. I just don't know if I'll shop somewhere again that let's me spend a couple c notes and walk away disappointed in my purchase. Which is a drag, they are very close to my inlaws and its a nice place to escape to on long visits. 

Sorry about the rambling post. This is going to bother me all weekend. 

Having worked in pro shops and golf retailers this is bad!

If you don't have the headcover or it'd been lost etc that's normally because one has been misplaced and someone just tossed in another one to make the customer happy causing a snowball effect. Ugh, this is annoying because if this ever happened with us we would make on the putter no headcover available and it would be at a reduced price.

Sorry this happened to you as it should have been handled better in some form or fashion vs charging you extra. 

Hopefully another shop has the one you're looking for complete!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• 2 weeks later...

I would have told them that since the CORRECT head cover was included in the price of the putter and was with said putter as it came from the manufacturer (and I am assuming this is the case) they need to either supply the Correct cover or deduct the retail cost of the cover from the price. 

Otherwise I walk and consider calling the corporate offices - if big chain golf outlet - or the mfg if not, to report that they were trying to sell me the putter without the included cover at full retail and upcharge me for a substandard replacement 

57 minutes ago, Another Steve said:

I would have told them that since the CORRECT head cover was included in the price of the putter and was with said putter as it came from the manufacturer (and I am assuming this is the case) they need to either supply the Correct cover or deduct the retail cost of the cover from the price. 

Otherwise I walk and consider calling the corporate offices - if big chain golf outlet - or the mfg if not, to report that they were trying to sell me the putter without the included cover at full retail and upcharge me for a substandard replacement 

It’s a 2021 model not a new putter. The chance any shop has headcovers from 2 years ago is slim. I watch them get packed up along with clubs that go back to the manufacturer all the time at the pros shop at my range.