Stack Training System - 2023 Forum Member Review

GolfSpy_BOS
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Testing Tracker Update:  Foundations Complete

image.png

Follow Testers main posts and progress via the links below!

@hckymeyer - Testing Post

@twyatt700 - Testing Post

@GregGarner - Testing Post

@DaveP043 - Testing Post

@Derek Lusk - Testing Post

@tdroma98Testing Post

On 11/7/2023 at 10:44 AM, DaveP043 said:

Back for another update, now I've finished 17 sessions of the Foundations program.  My 195g speed is up about 6 mph from the Baseline, the eSpeed is up by a similar amount, and I continue to set personal bests in both heavy and light weights, even though my 195g speed is been steady.  But Sunday I really saw the difference on the golf course.  IT was a little chilly, a light breeze, and I did a Stack session before heading to the course.  Well, out of 11 drivers I hit, 6 were further than I've been all year.  Not by a yard or two, but by 10 to 15 to 20 yards.  Change comes slowly, a random long drive can happen based on wind, hard fairways, accidental solid contact, anything, but when over half of the drives are the longest of the year, I have to believe its REAL distance gains.

I have one more session to finish the Foundations program, probably Thursday this week.  After that I'll probably take a while before starting a new Program, I'll be spending 2 weeks in Pinehurst.  What i WILL do is the short "Speed Priming" sessions as often as I can before I play.  There's no question that doing Stack properly is a good bit of work, but there's also no question in my mind that its improving my distance.

This test group has been a great read. I’ve been reading all of these post looking for one thing. How is this speed training showing up on the course. This is awesome. If the majority of testers are similar results, they’ll be a lot of us buying these things. Congratulations! I’m going to continue reading the rest of everyone’s posts.

Jnr

On 11/7/2023 at 12:25 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

A reminder that testers are NOT allowed to sell any testing product. They can gift it or pass it along if it does not work for them, however selling is strictly prohibited for the first two years of two product cycles. 

If a tester is seen trying to sell their testing equipment prior to that time it marks them not eligible for any future testing opportunities.

I like the idea of pass it along if it doesn’t work for you, then let the next person be part of the review process. Maybe that’s already happening , I’m still pretty new here!

Jnr

Just looking at these graphs for just the foundations by this point.... im already convinced im gonna buy this.  Would be damn great over the winter.

Id be happy with a steady 5mph increase, but if I could maintain a 10mph increase on course?  hollllly balls that would be nice.

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Stack Referral code

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

How have you found the gains have translated onto the course? Looks like you're up 6-8mph which I'm guessing "should" be 15-20yds?

We shall see today, going to play for the first time since September and since I started stack. Granted it’s now 45 degrees out and wet so if I can be around the same distance as my summer drives I’d be thrilled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

Nearing the end Foundations Training for all testers!

image.png

We are nearing the end of Foundations testing for everyone with a few of us still having a session or two along with the check-in left.

Testers:  Are you noticing gains on the course?  Have you found any improvements or decline in accuracy or consistency as a result?

@hckymeyer @GregGarner @twyatt700 @DaveP043 @Derek Lusk @tdroma98

For myself I jumped backed into the foundations course around week 7, which was also a low point in my training.  My neck/back have been pretty stiff lately and I think the training has actually helped loosen me back up a bit.  The rounds I've played since haven't shown an increase in distance, but for me it has been a return to my normal distances.  I've used speed training before, so I think this has helped me get back to where I was.  Looking forward to getting more workouts in over the winter to gain some speed now.  I'm curious as to what program will be recommended once I complete my final session and check-in.    

As far as accuracy, the speed training appears to have freed up my swing and I've had some rounds with near PB in fairways and greens in regulation, so I've seen no adverse affects from the training.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

29 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

I played yesterday in calm conditions and 55 degree temps.  I was about where I usually am on the course, no nuke drives but didn't feel like the cold stole any distance.  So I guess that's a good thing?

So I will touch on this in my review as well, but I do think the gains shown on the graphs you are guys are looking at are misleading.  During foundations for the first half we are swinging at "full intent"  That means the hardest you would actually swing at a real golf ball.  Pretend you really need to mash a ball but keep it in play.  

The 2nd half of the foundations program almost all the swings are "Max intent".  This is just flat out as fast as you can swing the club.  The baseline stat being used is your actual driver swing from the initial check in.  The highest number you are seeing is based off a max intent swing with 195g weights on the stack club.  

After I finished foundations there is another check in where you will be swinging your actual driver.  With that check in I was 3mph faster than my baseline.  

I say all of that, to say this.  Temper your expectations a little bit between training sessions and on course performance.  You look at the 122mph number and start thinking "I can drive every par 4", then you do the check in and realize I went from 109-110mph to 112-113mph.  

So with a consistent strike that 3mph would gain me maybe 5-6 yards off the tee.  Here is a picture of my driver face through 11 holes yesterday...

IMG_5692.jpg.81f11de8fa33eedfcc484f268b8c4daa.jpg

As you can probably guess that 5 yds I may gain through swing speed is being completely eaten up by where on the face I strike the ball. 🤣

So all I can say is "patience young grasshopper" the distance will come.  However my course closes for the winter on Sunday (my last round starts at 10:52am)  I've had a relatively small gain in speed but it's 40-50 degrees here at best and I'm wearing layers to play.  I'm really not going to be able to tell any on course distance gains until it gets nice again next spring.

Have to wonder though do the diminishing returns become worse the faster your swing is.

Like if im maybe 90mph I personally would expect higher average actual gains on course than say someone whos already swinging 100+

Edited by skraeling

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Stack Referral code

23 minutes ago, skraeling said:

Have to wonder though do the diminishing returns become worse the faster your swing is.

Like if im maybe 90mph I personally would expect higher average actual gains on course than say someone whos already swinging 100+

I would imagine it's a mix of existing swing efficiency, biology (lever length), and then as you say where someone is already in the swing speed Olympics.

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  -  Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping G430 Max 9W - Ping i230 6-UW - s159 54º (S-grind) and 58º (B-grind) - LAB Golf DF3

2 hours ago, skraeling said:

I don't know the answer, but I would suspect that every person has a ceiling eventually.  It's going to be different for each persons fitness, athletic ability, and body type.  If you have never done any type of speed training there's probably more low hanging fruit to gain easily regardless of how fast you currently swing.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

14 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

I don't know the answer, but I would suspect that every person has a ceiling eventually.  It's going to be different for each persons fitness, athletic ability, and body type.  If you have never done any type of speed training there's probably more low hanging fruit to gain easily regardless of how fast you currently swing.

never have speedtrained personally, heck i dont even work out as is though over the winter plan to remedy that in more than one aspect.

I am intrigued heavily by its potential though.  I imagine its akin sometimes to say getting a faster PC part.  Like it may not raise your peak FPS, but sometimes its just about raising up the minimum average.  That itself would be beneficial for me I think.  Obviously we all have good swing days and bad then throw in contact being sometimes iffy haha.

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Stack Referral code

4 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

image.png

Oh hey! Look who is finally injury-free! Seriously though, the graph really is a diagram of what it looks like when you're not feeling 100% and still trying to train (more on that in my full write-up). Session 2: amazing. Felt great. Between session 2 and 3, tweaked my lower back. Started feeling better. Then between session 8 and 9, tweaked something in my shoulder blades. The pain aspect was minimal as long as I spent about 20 minutes/day laying on a tennis ball, but I couldn't make a full turn and lost the tempo I had been grooving for a while. Woke up the morning of session 15 and felt really good. Both lower back and shoulders felt loose and ready to go. Then session 16 was all gas, no brakes. Set PBs in all four sets it had me do, which I thought was cool since set 2 and set 3 were with the same weight!

Session 17 tonight, 18 Saturday, and then we'll see what the app recommends after that!

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

9 hours ago, skraeling said:

Just looking at these graphs for just the foundations by this point.... im already convinced im gonna buy this.  Would be damn great over the winter.

Id be happy with a steady 5mph increase, but if I could maintain a 10mph increase on course?  hollllly balls that would be nice.

@skraeling I haven't written up my review yet, but I'm like you, I've never done any type of Speed Training. This really intrigued me, especially seeing the positive results of Padraig Harrington & Matt Fitzpatrick.  
TheStack training is really cool, from the warm-up to the sessions.  
I do believe this training helped.  I'm finding my woods: Driver, 3wd & Rescue hitting crisper shots. 

Another big take on TheStack, for me, was helping with the swing.  It really helped me identify some bad swing habits:  swing too long, rolling my hands during take away & releasing club too early.  It's amazing how, during regular play, you can identify quicker when something doesn't feel right. 

It's added a pep in the step!  

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

9 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

image.png

We are nearing the end of Foundations testing for everyone with a few of us still having a session or two along with the check-in left.

Testers:  Are you noticing gains on the course?  Have you found any improvements or decline in accuracy or consistency as a result?

@hckymeyer @GregGarner @twyatt700 @DaveP043 @Derek Lusk @tdroma98

For myself I jumped backed into the foundations course around week 7, which was also a low point in my training.  My neck/back have been pretty stiff lately and I think the training has actually helped loosen me back up a bit.  The rounds I've played since haven't shown an increase in distance, but for me it has been a return to my normal distances.  I've used speed training before, so I think this has helped me get back to where I was.  Looking forward to getting more workouts in over the winter to gain some speed now.  I'm curious as to what program will be recommended once I complete my final session and check-in.    

As far as accuracy, the speed training appears to have freed up my swing and I've had some rounds with near PB in fairways and greens in regulation, so I've seen no adverse affects from the training.

@GolfSpy BOS - are you noticing gains on the course? YES 
I have hit some of the longest 3 woods off the tee & with consistency.  I've tried to hit drivers at the "Max Speed" training level, while on the course and so far the 3 times I've tried, the ball pushes right.  However, at Full Speed (regular play speed), driver goes straight.  I've decreased loft in driver to 9 degrees from 10 degrees and driving the ball better & longer, than before using TheStack. I was inconsistent at 9 degree loft previous to doing TheStack. 

Where I've really noticed I've picked up length off the tee, is with my 4 rescue - 21 degree turned up to 22 degrees.  I've consistently have gotten 10 to 15 yards more out of it. This is not just hype. At my home course, I hit the rescue off the tee on the 13th hole.  A short par 4 from White tees - 322 to 340 yds, aim at right fairway bunker with draw & leave an approach 119 to 130 yds into green.  The last two weeks, I've had 100, 97, 94, 107 yds in as an approach. That's not the only hole, either where I've seen a difference. 

Yesterday I played my home course intentionally without using a driver. 3 wood only.  12 tee shots, I had one really disappointing drive out of 12 tee shots. 2 others were mediocre. 10 were really good, including almost driving the green on a 290 yd par 4.  Left the ball 5 yds short of the green. The hole does play a bit  downhill, but you have to clear a fairway bunker 210yds , the fairway then goes downhill, but you also have to get past a huge oak tree, about 40yds past the fairway bunker. The swing was not a "Max Swing".  Another hole, Par 5 - 485 yds - I was left with 230yds to a back pin. Hit into a left to right wind off the tee. 

Without a doubt, I've seen improvements in accuracy & distance with my woods. 
I've seen a more consistent ball striking with my irons.  
I'm going to tie the Titleist White Box TEST Ball to better iron play as well, along with TheStack training.  That TEST Ball fit me & improved my iron play - both accuracy & distance complimenting TheStack training.

As for my physical condition during TheStack Sessions, I did not experience any pains from Session 2 on.  TheStack Workout the first session was outstanding, but I was sore the next day.  My legs. I remember walking into work and squatted down, what the heck? LOL.  After that 1st session, no discomfort or pain.

Sasho did a very good job with the Warmup routine. I really looked forward to the warmup & now use some of the warmup routines prior to playing. Some of the routines, you may not want to do on the first tee with people watching 🤣.  Apologies for the longwinded answers, this was awesome, I found TheStack exciting! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

12 hours ago, tdroma98 said:

I've tried to hit drivers at the "Max Speed" training level, while on the course and so far the 3 times I've tried, the ball pushes right. 

I wonder if this has anything to do with your Stiff Flex driver shaft not being stout enough to close the head at impact on those Max Speed swings. Not sure if you plan to use that swing at all on course, but if you do it might be worth looking for a used X-Flex in your shaft model with the Optifit hosel and give it a test.

It's great to hear that not only have you gotten more distance, but it sounds like the Stack System has helped with your accuracy and consistency. For a lot of people, it may well be worth it just for that.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

Three sessions in and my first big takeaway is that I'm finding that swing tempo is way more important than just trying to gun it (particularly with the lighter weights). If I try to absolutely smash it, I end up 3-4mph slower often.

I'm also noticing that the Stack makes you concentrate a lot more on lower body, which the warmups also really reinforce. I'm enjoying it so far!

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  -  Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping G430 Max 9W - Ping i230 6-UW - s159 54º (S-grind) and 58º (B-grind) - LAB Golf DF3

8 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Three sessions in and my first big takeaway is that I'm finding that swing tempo is way more important than just trying to gun it (particularly with the lighter weights). If I try to absolutely smash it, I end up 3-4mph slower often.

I'm also noticing that the Stack makes you concentrate a lot more on lower body, which the warmups also really reinforce. I'm enjoying it so far!

That is how it is for me as well.  I need to stay focused on having good rhythm and complete my backswing.  If I try to "go after it" too much I just end up shortening my swing. 

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

That is how it is for me as well.  I need to stay focused on having good rhythm and complete my backswing.  If I try to "go after it" too much I just end up shortening my swing. 

If I shortarm and get quick with my driver its just a disaster when I try and hit haha.

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Stack Referral code

29 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

interesting comment on the lower body, thanks for that

committed to performance excellence

20 minutes ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

That is a great comment for me, I "always" revert back to rythym. But I am suckered into swinging harder in the off season to see if it works. It doesn't lol.

committed to performance excellence

On 11/16/2023 at 11:03 AM, skraeling said:

On 11/16/2023 at 11:26 AM, Rearviewmirror said:

I would imagine it's a mix of existing swing efficiency, biology (lever length), and then as you say where someone is already in the swing speed Olympics.

23 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

Sasho has a video that addresses this a bit, I think its the one about the "plateau" effect.  He suggests that each player has a personal max, @hckymeyer has suggested a few of the factors.  I'm 67 years old, my personal max isn't going to be 120 mph, but it might be 100 or a bit more.

2 hours ago, Rearviewmirror said:

To me, the instant feedback helps you to understand what a "fast" swing feels like, and you can learn what it takes to achieve that fast feel.  

I've finished my 18th session, and just this morning finished the progress check.  I've gained something like 3 mph at just about every swing weight for full-effort swings, which are about 3 mph slower than my max-effort swings.image1.jpeg.3a2768542e9f5b7fed32345ef99f0e9d.jpeg

Not too bad, I think, and not life-changing either, but it is definite progress.  The app suggests a specific program next, which I'll try to begin in just a few days. 

image3.jpeg.2f801513e73c8e88e05420c709813e1e.jpeg

The app also lets you preview the next session, and this appears to be structured differently from the Foundations sessions.  Those typically began with heavier weights, worked to lower weights, and finished with the 195g swings.  The first Full Speed Spectrum workout will be 195-full, 145-full, 145-max, and 195-max.  I'm sure there's serious research behind this, its intriguing to see how it all fits together.image2.jpeg.f9dbb37c3e8c341eb3a3935d75f65bbd.jpeg

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I know on the SuperSpeed test we had a couple of us experience injuries from training. Anyone run into that issue here with the Stack?

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB at 7.5°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Utility - :mizuno-small: Pro 225 3i, Mitsubishi MMT 105S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Tour