Mats vs. Grass

Oh, I forgot, also, brush the mat backwards with your foot or club, to make the fibers stand up more.  You can add back about 1/4 inch to the height, so it is like new.  Do it after every shot.  (Doing this also slows you down so you don't get trapped in "driving range tempo). 

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

great conversation, I am 100% happy with hitting off mats at the range in the off season, I am working on things (as many of you already know) so to hit off a consistent surface gives me great feedback, also our course initiated "multi matts" for winter play so we hit off matts even on the golf course as the conditions in the winter months aren't great for your swing etc. 

committed to performance excellence

6 hours ago, Tommy E said:

I have the same set up and use it to keep my golf muscles was getting sore between actual visits to the golf course to practice or play.  I’m 71 going on 72 and keeping the muscles loose and the swing with some consistence helps.  I’m not concern with distance on the mat practice, just ball flight and swing drills to maintain my game! ⛳

I am also 71. I don't often put balls down. I swing everyday I don't play. I concentrate on a full swing with some acceleration. The only time I have balls there is to chip wiffle balls into the back yard. Reckon I have another 20 years to play!

5 hours ago, Franc38 said:

place the ball between two broken tees or other small objects leaving only a tiny bit of leeway for the head of the club to pass though. That's for heel-toe centering.

That's a cool suggestion. I like it.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

11 hours ago, ebaileymershon said:

As my old boss would say, both. Hitting into a net with mat is great to work on timing, keeping loose.  On grass range can visualize the shot, execute the shot, watch the results, commit to memory. Many an instructor recommends edges of ranges for variance in lies, feet placement. 

Welcome to the forum. I hope you are able to glean info and thanks for your input as well.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Mats are fine for anything except wedges in my opinion. 

TaylorMade Stealth 10.5* Graphite design Tour_AD GP-6 Stiff :taylormade-small:

Titleist TSi2 15* Fairway wood Hazardous Smoke Black Stiff :titleist-small:

Titleist TSi2 18* Hybrid Hazardous Smoke Stiff :titleist-small:

Titleist TSi2 24* Hybrid Hazardous Smoke Stiff Titleist TSi2 21* :titleist-small:

Titleist T200 Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 5-PW :titleist-small:

Titleist SM 8 Wedges 50* 8 - 56* 14 - 60* 8 :titleist-small:

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport Putter :scotty-cameron-1:

Titleist Hybrid 14 Stand Bag :titleist-small:

In my opinion, not all mats are the same. We have some very firm mats at my club and I limit the amount that I hit off them. Hitting more than 20 shots with irons, I begin to get pain in my left elbow.

Not positive if it's true or not, but I have heard that hitting a lot off mats can effect you loft/lie on your irons.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

At our course we have no choice on Mon-Thursday.  Mats only.  Per our Mater Instructor at the muni where I play (#19 muni in US, per golf.com), I warm up with a 9 iron on game day, which is Mon/Wed/Fri.  To get loose, ball position and tempo.  Will also usually hit a 7/6 iron and a hybrid.  Not practicing, just warming up.  Might hit a couple of drivers.  If I go to a range to practice I go to one which is closer to the house which is grass only.  Does it really matter as long as you are making good contact with the ball.  With back issues, cannot spend a lot of time at the range.  More time exercising and in PT.  Hakuna matata.  😃 

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S, 58.08M 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I won't hit off mats if my purpose is practice, it's not representative as you can hit fat and not know it. I might hit off mats if I was just loosening up, but I use an Orange Whip and some basic stretches for that now - so I never hit off mats. Mats mark up the bottoms of your clubs too, but that rubs off easily.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

I'll jump in here.... there are A LOT of good points here from folks I have come to respect from conversing on the MGS forums.  One of the conundrums we face here is the, "bad practice only creates bad habits" vs., "any practice is good practice" philosophies.  There are some ... arts where I COMPLETELY agree that bad practice will only hurt you (Martial Arts, Cross-Fit, weight lifting), in golf I would agree with the "any practice" school to a pretty deep degree.  I personally HATE mats...BUT... I'll take a mat over no swing practice at all.  I have mat in my back yard and some of the course up north have installed mats, only using the grass area during certain parts of the season.  I agree with the comments on the fat shot compensation as well; which is one of the reasons I HATE mats; when I am having problems with contact it drives me NUTS to have to play from a mat, so I work with half swing contact moving into full swings and I get REALLY focused on hitting the ball first (so, good point here is that I get focused on making contact with the ball first therefore eliminating fat shots becomes the goal and the eventual outcome).

The other thing I learned this past summer was the effect on my clubs.  If you look back to my comments on Sqairz, I really liked the comfort of the shoes, but I was having an issue with contact when I started wearing them. This drive me to have my clubs checked.  I was also experiencing some serious loss of distance with my PW.  So I decided to have my clubs looked at.  My clubs are normally set a standard lie angle, on analysis my 3 & 5 irons had moved to 1 degree upright, 6-PW irons moved to 2 degrees upright.  I think these clubs were delivered in March?  That was a 2 degree movement in less than 4 months.  There was no change to loft, so I could not blew the loss of distance with my PW on this, but what the heck was going on with this lie angle change?  The tech at the shop asked me if I hit from mats often and told me that when he was on the college team they would have their clubs checked and adjusted at least twice a year, each time they had them regripped.  He said the impact on club lie angle from hitting off mats was common knowledge.  That made me think, WTF? Do the courses really know this is a side effect of moving to mats?  Anyway, I agree, hitting off mats is better than not getting some range time in, but be aware of both the difference you mention between mats and grass AND the potential impact on your club loft and lie angles.

The more you bleed in practice, the less you bleed in real world action.  Practice wherever and whenever you can.  Then practice twice as much, when you can, in the conditions you will really face.

Good luck and don't give up the ship.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

Yup, mats are best used to perfect playing in a simulator. Even a grass range has limits as well. Somehow I never find a level spot on course. Pitching onto greens against and with the grain onto uphill and downhill greens are my practice deficiencies. Find par 3 or executive courses for practice time. Driving ranges are best to work on technique. . 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

Most driving range mats do allow you to "get away with" hitting fat shots; you still get a decent result.  However, I can tell when I hit a fat shot; the feel of the shot is different and the sound is different.  There is also a difference with a well-struck ball; the ball goes further than off turf... at least on our turf.  More expensive mats like in my hitting bay actually penalize a fat shot, but the price paid is sore joints.  

Our grass range gets so much use that the turf is very thin and really doesn't reflect actual turf conditions on course.  For me the range is used more for warming up, seeing ball flights and not much else.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've never seen one in use at a driving range, but for home practice the Fiberboard Flight Deck is a great "mat" for reducing injury potential and for not concealing fat contact like a flat mat. Needs an elevated surface to stand on is about the only negative. 

Victor Bruhn

SW Washington State

I live in the tundra and hitting off grass 7-8 months out of the year is unheard of at a range. I don't particularly like hitting off mats as the ones here seem to melt on to my clubs. The indoor ranges are much better mats so I do use them when I can. The tips I have read here will really improve my thought on using mats.

Coming back to golf

• 1 month later...

I saw several people commenting on tendonitis here in this thread - @RickK @Tommy E specifically. Take a listen to this episode from Fit For Golf's Mike Carroll and Dr. Keith Baar and watch the video on the exercises.

I am in week two of self-rehabbing some pretty intense tennis and golf elbow in my trail arm as a result of hitting off of mats (both lateral and medial epicondylitis). In the past I have seen a chiro who utilizes ultrasound and HILT laser therapy with short term results, but nothing lasting more than a month or so.  Using the protocol below, I have noticed significant results very quickly. I am already noticing a return of my grip strength and a decrease in pain - all while being able to continue hitting off of my mat in my garage. I am using 10# dumbells and it takes about 15 minutes to do both arms. 

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

I think you should hit off what you have available to you, and not worry about it too  much.

Can only hit off grass at a few ranges around here, and that’s only some of the time. So you make do with what you have. Heck, Tony Finau learned golf off a mat in his garage.

If you’re worried about mats, try to be aware/present in how you’re hitting the ball. Maybe try drills to avoid hitting fat as well, like a towel behind the ball.

Driver : :callaway-small:GBB Epic, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (44.75")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Hybrid: :srixon-small: Z H85, 19° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Black 85g, 5.5 flex
Irons: :titleist-small: T350 5i & T200 6i-GW, 23°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: :Sub70: JB Forged Raw 54° & 58° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Reg flex (+0.5/0.25", 0.5° upright)
Putter: :ping-small: DS72 C, 35”, PP60 grip