Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

2024 Season Goals - What Say You?

While I didn't put my hand in the fire on this topic before the season started, I figured I'd join the "fun" now 🙂

Before the season started I had two pretty aggressive goals:

• Break 75
  • Get down to a 10 (stretch goal of single digits)

Both were potentially wildly unrealistic, but I figured what is life without a challenge! I play golf year round, so Im considering this calendar year, not just season.

Break 75

Ironically my very best shot at this one came on January 8. With one of the best 9 hole rounds I've ever played, followed by a total blow up. I was absolutely cruising and playing pretty otherworldy golf, and then totally imploded after a couple of drives OB. This was my first time playing this course, from 70/135 tees.

Screenshot2024-09-08at09_15_06.png.153bc088cb7b7c49b5a0bd00e1ea4d9f.png

Otherwise I've had a couple of screaming nines on my home course followed by blow up alternate nines - 36/47 followed by 45/38 two days later on the same course for an 83 both times (par 72). 

In general most low 80s rounds have been more like 41/41 rounds and 82 is my best scorecard and I've shot 83 five times.

I would say my game has been characterized by high volatility for most of this year (playing great, then hitting a triple/quad hole), but is now moving into a more stable world where I've managed to get big blow ups under control, and move towards bogey/par golf as the default. 

Handicap reduction

I would say this is where I have struggled the most. I decided to submit almost everything this year (barring disastrous 95+ rounds). Last year the slope average of played rounds was 115, whereas this year has been 123. so I am definitely taking on harder courses and diversifying what courses I play.

I started the year at 17.1, and I'm currently sitting at 15.1, with my last few differentials in the 13 range. I think it's realistic to get down closer to 13 by the end of season, and if I can do some damage on California courses in December could maybe squeak down to 11/12. 

Currently my differentials that count for this year are 15.1, 15.9, 17.1, 15.6, 16.4, 15, 12.9, 13. So if I can card 4 good rounds I should be in solid shape to get to 13.

While I will be a bit disappointed now to have made bigger gains, I think the switch to taking lessons and building a stronger foundation has been wise.

What I've done this season

Speed training

Stopped using The Stack - this one is a bit controversial, but I decided to pause using The Stack. I felt like it was introducing some weirdness into my iron swings. I decided to get lessons and fix my flat swing before introducing speed training to poor mechanics again.

Lessons

I'm only 14 rounds out from getting my first lesson in ~2 decades, but I've already seen GIRs climb to 5.92 from 5.27 in the first part of 2024. FIR have gone from 48% to 52%. 

Putting

Three putts have gone from averaging 4.44 per round in 2023 to 3.6 in 2024 (3.35 post-LAB DF3). I would say this is a combo of working on lag putting with ExPutt and putting to a metronome for warm up, as well as buying a LAB DF3.

Short game

I had worked on Dan Grieve's three release system last year, but only really this year have I mastered the flop shot and the mid-trajectory spinner. Bunker play has always been a struggle, and I feel like I've finally gotten to a reliable technique that gets me out every time. 

WITB changes

Main things that I've tinkered with this year are new driver (Ping G430 10K), Autoflex (did not work too well but I haven't revisited post-lessons yet), adding a 5W and 9W (genius decisions), switching from Mezz.1 to DF3 (never going back and never selling this putter), and switching out my Cleveland Zipcore wedges for Ping S159s (best wedges I have ever used). The Autoflex era definitely cost me both time and also a lot of shots, as I lost more balls OB than I care to count. 

With the exception of the Autoflex, all of those changes have been net positive, but there was some definite churn in the first part of the year while I struggled to find the right shaft for the G430 10K. Other than the Titleist GT testing (adding 7W, switching 3W, and different driver) I have no plans to monkey with the rest of the bag for the remainder of the year.

I would say overall it has been a year of evolution vs revolution, but I hope that I can screech over the finish line, tires on fire, with an empty gas tank for some special moments. I've hit some extraordinary shots (two close call ace looks and a couple of almost hole outs for eagle from range), and I know I'm capable of single digit golf. I've just got to continue to work on consistency. 

Ping G430 Max 10K (10.5º) Review Post - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º)  -  Ping G425 Max 4 Hybrid - Ping G430 Max 9W - Ping i230 6-UW - s159 54º (S-grind) and 58º (B-grind) - LAB Golf DF3

Since the middle of July I have been tracking "Looks@Green" (or L@G) for Par 4s and 5s.  I stole this idea from @matt_puttercup, I think: unobstructed 2nd shots (Par 4) or 3rd shots (Par 5) regardless of from the rough or fairway.  In addition to being unobstructed these shots also need to be "reasonable" -- for me that is 185 yds or less.  As of today, my L@G percentage is roughly 70% over 220 holes.  At the same time I have been keeping my GIR numbers for all holes played (including Par 3s).  That number is 28%.  Apparently, according to Shot Scope and Arccos data, that is right in line with other golfers of my hcp.  Yet, somehow, it "feels" too low.

My current GHIN stats for FIR and GIR look like this:

Screenshot2024-09-09at6_59_43PM.png.9c5b654e68b08420d7553da6606e1717.png

Today I played 9 holes @ 2,900 yds. using nothing longer than my 18° Cleveland Hy-Wood: 1 birdie, 4 pars, 2 bogies, and 2 doubles -- 5 over, 41.  My L@G = 66.6%, and GIR = 44.4%.  Also, no 3 putts.  My scores on the 3 Par 5s on this 9 were bogey, birdie, par.  The first is a near 90° dogleg left at the 160 yd. mark with trees on the corner that I can't clear with driver (so 6 or 7 iron off the tee); the second tee shot requires a gentle, high fade which is no longer in my driver repertoire (but I too often try anyway); and the third is a straightaway 490 yds. 

So.  Was today a fluke?  Going to try the same approach tomorrow.  Not sure I'll be on the same 9 but the strategy should work on either side of my home course.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Now that I have checked getting a birdie off the list. I don't have any scorecard goals really. I just want to continue to get better. I am working a lot on taking divots and compressing but so far, not a lot is working. But that is my goal is 2024 rounds up and we start heading into 2025.

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :vice: Pro Air

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

15 hours ago, tdc1 said:

Since the middle of July I have been tracking "Looks@Green" (or L@G) for Par 4s and 5s.  I stole this idea from @matt_puttercup, I think: unobstructed 2nd shots (Par 4) or 3rd shots (Par 5) regardless of from the rough or fairway.  In addition to being unobstructed these shots also need to be "reasonable" -- for me that is 185 yds or less.  

Well done. I do similar things outside my Arccos stuff where I grade a tee shot not where it lands, but if I have a shot at a GIR (just a Y/N grade) Fairways are great, but making sure I have a shot into the green is huge. Seeing these numbers and understandings my strengths and areas to improve have really helped and even changed up target and club selections on the course.

Love some good Breakfast Tacos and Biscuits

Driver: :PXG: 0311BlackOps     

Wood: :PXG: 0311 Gen 6, 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons: :PXG: 0311P Gen6,  4 iron - Gap Wedge

Wedges: :PXG: Sugar Daddy II, 52* and 56* 

Putter: :PXG: Battle Ready II, Bat Attack 

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: :Arccos: and :918457628_PrecisionPro:

2024 Caddy Daddy Claw Glove Test