FlightScope Progression Series: 2023 Forum Member Review

GolfSpy_APH

22 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

I have mentioned it a few times in the thread. I have gotten distance and flight issues with the driver.  Irons have been short as well but I’m thinking that is a mat issue. My spin numbers seem higher on the Mevo plus off my matzilla mat vs what I see on the full swing. When I had the mevo plus with me on the full swing the irons were very close. Driver was still 10-15 yards short and right with the mevo plus vs the full swing. 

When I compared the “carry distance” with my Garmin watch, I had almost 30 yard difference.

6 minutes ago, Luisddavila said:

When I compared the “carry distance” with my Garmin watch, I had almost 30 yard difference.

Not doubting ya but curious. How do you know where your drive landed vs where it ended up rolling to?

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Not doubting ya but curious. How do you know where your drive landed vs where it ended up rolling to?

The million dollar question 😂. At least I could say that today the ball was not rolling much as the ground was soft and wet. I had few plugged balls.

21 minutes ago, Luisddavila said:

The million dollar question 😂. At least I could say that today the ball was not rolling much as the ground was soft and wet. I had few plugged balls.

Got ya. I’ve been there many times as well lol

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

14 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Looking at some of the numbers that FS provides and seeing how I can improve my swing.  The Mevo+ provides a ton of usable data.  

Just a quick glance at some important numbers.  

AOA - My numbers are twice what a PGA player is.  I am too steep and need to focus on this number.

Smash Factor - This number is ok in this shot but one to keep an eye on.

Lateral - As you can see this is a pull shot and the numbers show it.

Personally, for me, I love having this at the range and being able to analyze the data after a set of shots with a particular club.  

I enjoy hitting into a net but being able to see the ball flight along with the data is huge for me.  

IMG_0014.png.407c636513ba0326db10fcc5ebb2e228.png

"Great Scott!" to quote Doc from Back to the Future. You must dig a hole to the other side of the planet with a -12* AoA!!! 

Had a very good swing day today. Broke out the 48* and threw several 🎯:

IMG_3485.png

and then decided to just jump to driver (which I have not been 100% comfortable swinging in the tent but wanted to get something on the MEVO+)

IMG_3494.png

like the other testers feel like it didn’t really get good reads. While they weren’t the best swings I am not really a dead pull with the driver type. The highlighted swing was pretty good contact and this would be my normal flight. Maybe I was swinging awkwardly before that one? I am not sure but don’t feel like I was swinging that awkwardly. Time will tell going to hit the simulator this week where I have some room.

After this jumped into a round and the putting was very generous to say the least. I went -4 and while I was swinging really well. I had multiple auto 1 putts that’s not realistic. Here are some snippets from the round swing wise:

this was one of the few drivers I hit in the round. I get that a closed face and inside out path results in a hook (from what I read) but is that a drastic closed face and path? Genuinely asking out of curiosity if anyone can explain that to me. 

IMG_3490.png

This was a damn near perfect 4 iron. Uphill into the wind a little. 

IMG_3489.png

This was a 5 iron. Another really good shot for me. Not the squarest face but center face contact.

IMG_3488.png

Can see on all the use shots I was slightly closed face and outside in with the exception of the driver which said inside out.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

That's sweet! For the putting, would you just setup a rollout green to the screen? 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

9 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

That's sweet! For the putting, would you just setup a rollout green to the screen? 

Not 100% what I wanna do just yet. It needs to be the same height as my matzilla so I’m debating getting another one but they aren’t cheap lol

12 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Not 100% what I wanna do just yet. It needs to be the same height as my matzilla so I’m debating getting another one but they aren’t cheap lol

What’s the height? Can ya make something small?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

10 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

What’s the height? Can ya make something small?

I believe it’s just over 1” think.

When I get the permanent build going in my garage, I’m gonna build a hitting area then cheap felt/turf between the mat and screen for putting.  I thought about making something quick and cheap for now but not sure I wanna worry about it right now. 

16 minutes ago, Byrnzee said:

TL;DR if you hate graphs: In a heads-up comparison between the Mevo and Trackman monitors, the Mevo tends to slightly overstate numbers in comparison to the Trackman. However, the differences are mostly negligible and the accuracy is incredibly impressive.

Interesting data. I’m seeing the Mevo Plus understating the numbers I usually see.  Again this could be due to the mat adding spin

41 minutes ago, Byrnzee said:

Trackman vs. Mevo Test

I was able to gather a bunch of data the other day at a simulator to try and do a heads-up comparison between a Trackman monitor and the Mevo. 

I decided to build some graphs to hopefully give everyone a sense of how large (or small) the differences are between the two devices. 

The first six graphs below are comparing 12 shots with my 8-iron. I decided to compare Carry Distance, Club Speed, Ball Speed, Smash Factor, and Spin Rate. These 5 metrics were available on both devices and were easily comparable.

I gathered this data with several clubs: Driver, 3-wood, 5-iron, 8-iron and 54º Wedge. I decided to choose my 8-iron to showcase this data because the variances were smaller and you were able to get a good sense of the differences.

Carry Distance:

image.png.dc01c390763a162fee1fdb46b9666a5d.png

As you can see from the Carry Distance graph, the data is pretty consistent between the two devices. This will become a common theme amongst the remaining data metrics, but the Mevo tends to slightly overstate the data compared to the Trackman. 

Club Speed:

image.png.d942356589318bff3d21163cffbd34b1.png

Club Speed is a metric that remains fairly consistent from shot to shot. However, the Mevo once again seems to slightly overstate the speed compared to the Trackman. It's a fairly negligible difference (avg. of 80mph for the Mevo compared to 77mph for the Trackman), but still worth noting.

Ball Speed:

image.png.6d6380fb6418834640cb3078ed44f309.png

I was very impressed with the consistency of the Ball Speed data between the Trackman and Mevo. Although once again the Mevo seems to be slightly overstating the data, the side-by-side comparison is almost identical in shape.

Smash Factor:

image.png.300c65d6c9f7b64e8cbf7a1901ad2f33.png

Smash Factor isn't a datapoint I pay too much attention to, but it is interesting to note that Mevo actually understated this value in comparison to the Trackman. Once again you can see that the data is very close between the two devices - typically less than .05 difference.

Spin Rate:

image.png.cafcf0eb79a3e4774bc32303e988088e.png

Not sure what happened on that 12th shot, but you can see that there are several shots (1, 2, 4, 7, 9, 10) that actually appear to have identical spin rates between the two devices. Very impressive to see the Mevo hold its own against the Trackman in this area.

Average Carry Distance:

I also decided to put together a bar graph showing the difference between all of my clubs hit during this session (Driver, 3-Wood, 5-iron, 8-iron and 54º Wedge). The numbers below are based on an average Carry Distance for each club for 6-12 shots (depending on the club). 

image.png.978392e42beacba0e24969c752e48e9a.png

As you can see, the Mevo does seem to typically report higher numbers than the Trackman. However, the differences are fairly negligible and are very consistent between the two devices. 

Overall, I was very impressed with the Mevo's ability to report similar data to the Trackman. There were definitely still outliers in the data (especially with the Driver off the tee), but overall the results were very consistent.

If you read this far, I appreciate your time and hope that I could provide some additional insight. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to reach out via PM or by tagging me in the thread!

TL;DR if you hate graphs: In a heads-up comparison between the Mevo and Trackman monitors, the Mevo tends to slightly overstate numbers in comparison to the Trackman. However, the differences are mostly negligible and the accuracy is incredibly impressive.

@Byrnzee Great data!! I have been trying to do that but on my first attempt I couldn’t do it due to spacing. Interesting how data is very similar when the cost of the devices are so much appart

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Ran into a snag today. Forgot to charge the Plus so only managed to get a Sim round in with the BIL. 

We played the Ocean Par 3 course. I did get my hitting screen put up so no more target and no more scuffed balls. Ball flight was so much more consistent with the screen up.

IMG_2290.jpeg

Distance is still a club short but I’m gonna chalk that up to getting more spin off the matzilla mat.  

Hoping to get in a range session and an 18 hole round tomorrow as next week I won’t have time for much with work and the wife and I’s valentines weekend away.   

I’m not set up for putting so the scores aren’t great using the <10=1 putt 11-30=2 putt and anything else a 3 putt.  It’s just great having a target and set yardages instead of just banging balls and looking at numbers.   
IMG_2289.png

I haven’t set up the projector yet so everything goes through my iPhone to the tv. IMG_2292.jpeg

With the screen, you aren't getting the scuff marks on the balls anymore?  

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

32 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

When I get the permanent build going in my garage, I’m gonna build a hitting area then cheap felt/turf between the mat and screen for putting.  I thought about making something quick and cheap for now but not sure I wanna worry about it right now. 

Everything I have read for putting is build a min of 18in wide putting zone between the Mevo+ and the hitting mat. You will want to putt about a foot to two feet from the LM and towards the screen. 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

10 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

With the screen, you aren't getting the scuff marks on the balls anymore?  

7 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Everything I have read for putting is build a min of 18in wide putting zone between the Mevo+ and the hitting mat. You will want to putt about a foot to two feet from the LM and towards the screen. 

No scuffs at all today on my ball or the BIL’s ball.  Used a new RCT ball and it still looked better after all my shots today than one shot with the target. 

From what I’ve found they want no more than 7’ from ball to mevo plus for putting. I’ve been tempted to turn my 5x10 matzilla sideways to try it out but haven’t taken the plunge yet. Maybe that’s what I’ll do tomorrow. 

That’s where I’m at. The putting training is good but is not something you buy this equipment for IMO. Great for simulator but at the end of the day are any of us buying a launch monitor for the putting feature?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

No scuffs at all today on my ball or the BIL’s ball.  Used a new RCT ball and it still looked better after all my shots today than one shot with the target. 

From what I’ve found they want no more than 7’ from ball to mevo plus for putting. I’ve been tempted to turn my 5x10 matzilla sideways to try it out but haven’t taken the plunge yet. Maybe that’s what I’ll do tomorrow. 

I got the putting to work by putting the ball closer to the LM and putting towards the net.  I turned one mat long ways and put behind my other net and then the Mevo+ sits right at the edge of the mat.  That's the only way I was able to get the putts to read.

I took the Mevo+ out to the range this afternoon and worked on getting it to read the driver better.  I have been getting numbers way off with the driver, both into the net and at the range.  I really focused on the setup and took some time making all the adjustments.  It was getting better readings but it was still quite a bit off.  We have markers on the range for distances and I have used my rangefinder on them to confirm they are accurate.  I have also shot distances to other objects past those markers for the longer distances.  

I'll post some data here this evening, 

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Interesting data. I’m seeing the Mevo Plus understating the numbers I usually see.  Again this could be due to the mat adding spin

I'm sure this could be different for others just based on general setup. Lighting, positioning, etc. can all play a factor

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

8 hours ago, Luisddavila said:

Interesting how data is very similar when the cost of the devices are so much appart

I thought the same thing! To have data that's this reliable for a fraction of the price of one of the top-of-the-line launch monitors is pretty impressive.

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

I did a driver session yesterday and was getting some different numbers on the screen from what I was seeing with ball flight.  Our range is marked out to 225yds and I have other landmarks scoped so I know distances past that point.

FSDriver.png.7d6dffc9bd1c11dcb37f6d2011a874ae.png

Setup seems to be cruicial with the Mevo+ and I moved the ball around on the mat to see if I could get some different readings.  Another thing that may be affecting the readings is how I have to set up the LM on a platform in order to get enough height to catch the mat on the hitting area. 

FS states that it needs to be either the same level as the hitting surface or on the ground but with no valley in between.  There were too many people there yesterday to move off the mats and hit off the ground in front, so I need to go back and test that theory and see if I get different readings.

FSDriver1.png.9f2f8763a58ec693094d304b976d0324.png

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

DF2.1 Putter

Ok got an 18 hole round in at Stone Canyon. Wasn’t terrible but I was using my BIL driver as my Darkspeed LS will be here tomorrow.  Pretty happy with the +7.  
IMG_2294.png

I will say this, the impact screen is much better than the target. I think my shot shape will get even better once the projector is up.  Same ball for 2 rounds and a little range time @Josh Parker  Only mark I could find and it did hit some open concrete.

IMG_2295.jpeg

I did a quick experiment for what I was seeing for numbers. I change the tee height from 1”(actually right) to 3”(cuz I was hitting driver). Holy cow it was crazy. Spin jumped up to 6500 from just that change. 

3”-

IMG_2296.pngIMG_2297.png

1”-

IMG_2298.pngIMG_2299.pngIMG_2300.png

2 minutes ago, Owengeorge13 said:

Ok, I’m buying just the regular Mevo today.  I see a 5% off code on the flightscope website.  Does anyone know of any other sale codes?  Higher percent sale codes…

PGA show savings are already on flightscopes website and it’s basically 15%

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

PGA show savings are already on flightscopes website and it’s basically 15%

Found some codes didn’t work.  LABORDAY code was for 50% off…didn’t work.  It’s on its way…I had to make a decision between this and a pRGR launch monitor.  I’m hoping one day to get the Mevo+…here’s to saving then spending…

🙃

6 minutes ago, Owengeorge13 said:

Found some codes didn’t work.  LABORDAY code was for 50% off…didn’t work.  It’s on its way…I had to make a decision between this and a pRGR launch monitor.  I’m hoping one day to get the Mevo+…here’s to saving then spending…

LABORDAY worked!!!

IMG_3088.jpeg

🙃

56 minutes ago, Owengeorge13 said:

LABORDAY worked!!!

IMG_3088.jpeg

Nice. When you are ready to upgrade keep an eye on their twitter and instagram pages. They seem to do trade in bonuses for the mevo towards the plus periodically

Had a very nice session today. Went through 90 swings over 3 clubs and worked on distance control with 3/4 swings.

I’m finding I struggle after taking alot of shots going to the next club. Something I need to work on for sure.

overall swing felt so good and I’m so amped up still being able to work on the swing daily with feedback. If nothing else that is worth the price tag of the +

I have come to find this view and breakdown is my favorite. Gives every shot and then average as well as difference. Really going to work on keeping these tighter. The last 5 or so swing with my 4 iron were my best. I’ll take 131 ball speed off the big iron.

IMG_3519.pngIMG_3528.pngIMG_3529.jpeg

Check out my reviews:

WITB: