Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Getting fit on Grass (and a couple other observations from a PXG fitting)

Syks7

I really think for an irons fitting it has to be on grass!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

7 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

I never would have tried them if I hadn't gone today.  It made me realize that as much as I've learned about equipment and fitting over the last couple years I still know nothing.  

I know I am in the same boat.  I have learned a lot over the years about golf equipment and I have just scratched the surface in many areas.   But the learning is all part of the enjoyment of the game for me.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'll echo a lot of what @Syks7 said here - getting fit on grass is now an absolute must for me.  The CB in the PXG lineup was an absolute delight to hit - I had a SLIGHTLY wider dispersion with it than with the ST, but my strike pattern with the CB were all in the exact same place. Something about that iron I just REALLY got a long with.  But without seeing how it got through the turf, even when my attack angle is too steep, was really something eye opening for me.  In much the same way, I never (ever) would have thought I would get along well with a blade-ish type iron (I appreciated that the PXGs were hardly 'butter knives' at address - definitely on the small side, but not so much that I was terrified of hitting them. 

Love that you ended up in a shaft that you loved for the driver - especially if it's something you can find on the used market.  

Also, and I think we talked about this that day, but theoretically the Gen 7 irons (whatever they're going to be called) are coming sometime this year, so you may find a killer deal on the T's once that happens.  🙂

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Also, and I think we talked about this that day, but theoretically the Gen 7 irons (whatever they're going to be called) are coming sometime this year, so you may find a killer deal on the T's once that happens.  🙂

That's the hope.   😁. My DF3 fund just became a 0317 fund.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

14 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I traveled 3 hours from Yuma to Palm Springs to validate my TrueSpec fitting numbers and finalists (ZX5's) off grass.  Palm Springs was the closest opportunity as it was during the tailend of Covid.  A couple of our forum members who had recently started gaming the v-sole suggested to test them on turf before buying... the benefits of the forum 👍

Edited by fixyurdivot

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

14 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

100%!!! I hate hitting off of mats AND into a screen to boot. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

15 hours ago, Syks7 said:

BTW, today only reinforced my desire to spend my eventual retirement as a fitter and builder.  The nerd in me wants to know everything I can about equipment.

Ditto! I'll eventually retire to a warmer climate as well as into a 55+ community where I might be able to set up a workshop to work on my own clubs but also anyone in the area who might need work done.

If possible, finding a place local to wherever I end up to teach me fitting so I can do it at least part time would be awesome!

I may need to take advantage of the PXG fitter that works out of a course in Knoxville this May and do my first ever iron fitting on grass.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

28 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Ditto! I'll eventually retire to a warmer climate as well as into a 55+ community where I might be able to set up a workshop to work on my own clubs but also anyone in the area who might need work done.

If possible, finding a place local to wherever I end up to teach me fitting so I can do it at least part time would be awesome!

I may need to take advantage of the PXG fitter that works out of a course in Knoxville this May and do my first ever iron fitting on grass.

My wife and I slowly migrating even further west in the San Fernando Valley...  from Van Nuys (still LA) to Woodland Hills (still LA) next.  It's not a stretch to see us moving out toward Ventura eventually.  Lots of great courses out that way and plenty of opportunities to do some side hustle fitting and building clubs.

Definitely try it out.  I was one of those people who didn't like the PXG commercials and had a pre-judgement of the clubs before even hitting them.  I humbly admit that I was very wrong.  I don't think I've disliked a single one of their products since I picked up the OG 0211 driver.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Having a very hard time getting the 0317T's out of my head...   I think I'm going to pull the trigger.  That said, I'm going to have to do a bit of funding work first.  Garage cleanup/old club sale coming soon.  😆 

On another note I'm starting to get very curious about bounce and turf interaction -- less about the amount of bounce and more about the location of the bounce on the sole.  I've been following a semi-local club-fitter/small manufacturer up in Ventura  (https://www.foreward.golf/https://www.instagram.com/matched_up_golf/  He talks a lot about this in his instagram feed along with some other factors in the fitting system he developed.  It's a pretty interesting listen.  

I noticed that 0317T are higher bounce (5º @3I & 14º@PW) than a lot of irons with the location of the bounce  toward the rear of the sole -- a construction shared with the wedges I'm gaming (RTX Zipcore). 

0317STRoboticPolishingv2.webp.f42ac3adac6c5683312b9e23dbb91a41.webp

cleveland-rtx-zipcore-angles-review.webp.5da4672bc45e06e9e23b43131ebaab89.webp

Out of curiosity I pulled out some older wedges I have and found that all the ones I got along with best (hit reasonably well most days and in most conditions) are the ones that share this construction -- rear bias and higher bounce.  The ones I remember being inconsistent with (big variation between good striking days and bad striking days) are all still mid-high bounce but with the bounce biased towards the center or leading edge of the sole.  This includes my current irons along with the 639 CB's and MP60's I've cycled through over the last couple years -- wish I could find a good picture of the sole of the RSI2's because I loved those.  I'm curious if the higher bounce and rear location compensates for my heavy contact miss by keeping the leading edge (and sole) up just enough that I get a better turf interaction that doesn't kill the clubhead speed & ball speed.  Obviously this is just one factor, but I'm wondering if it's overlooked by the vast majority of us.  Thoughts from fitters?  @McGolf

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

On 1/30/2024 at 6:33 PM, Syks7 said:

A muscle back type blade should not be in my wheelhouse and yet I hit it very well

On 1/30/2024 at 6:33 PM, Syks7 said:

The most interesting part of this fitting was that I would not (and have not) put myself in something that compact.  I just don't think of myself as that kind of a ball striker.

As I mentioned in another fitting thread golfers are basically their own worst enemy. Improper diagnosis of their swings, base in decisions on marketing terms like forgiveness, game improvement, designed for X handicap type, etc.

VCOG plays a big role, weight, balance between shaft and head, feel and how that translates to delivery and the launch characterizes that come from that delivery outweigh the perceptions of a persons ball striking or I’m an X handicap I should be in Y for of club. Or I swing at a certain sled so I need a club or shaft marketed to that speed

this leads to poor choices in club and shaft selection. 

Getting fit by a quality fitter will yield far better results than self fit or buying based on some preconceived notion. Getting the right launch window followed by the right feel is critical to getting an optimized club

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As I mentioned in another fitting thread golfers are basically their own worst enemy. Improper diagnosis of their swings, base in decisions on marketing terms like forgiveness, game improvement, designed for X handicap type, etc.

Getting fit by a quality fitter will yield far better results than self fit or buying based on some preconceived notion. Getting the right launch window followed by the right feel is critical to getting an optimized club

Definitely a lesson learned.

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

On 1/30/2024 at 5:33 PM, Syks7 said:

The shape of the leading edge just works with my attack angle and even on heavier contact just knifes through the turf.

@Syks7What kind of attack angle and divot do you take? 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

1 hour ago, vandyland said:

@Syks7What kind of attack angle and divot do you take? 

According to the trackman data from the fitting -- with the 0317 (7 Iron is an average of -4.  Max of -5.2 min of -2.  with an average of -4AoA)  with my gamer Z585 (7 Iron average is -4.8 max of -5.8 & min -3.6).  Divot wise the video below is a fairly decent look at what kind of contact I see on the course.  A mix of decent and heavy contact.  I definitely make a divot, but its rarely a beaver pelt.  

Edited by Syks7

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

15 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

According to the trackman data from the fitting -- with the 0317 (7 Iron is an average of -4.  Max of -5.2 min of -2.  with an average of -4AoA)

I ask because I am basically the same. About -4.4 down with a 7 iron. I had always assumed I needed more of a V-Sole, wider sole and...to be fair...those worked fine. But I got into this TS1-IM which had a narrower sole and my first thought was that it wasn't going to get through the turf. But it does, beautifully I might add. So score another one for "don't just blindly follow the common logic/marketing" and test stuff yourself. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

On 2/7/2024 at 10:30 AM, Syks7 said:

Having a very hard time getting the 0317T's out of my head...   I think I'm going to pull the trigger.  That said, I'm going to have to do a bit of funding work first.  Garage cleanup/old club sale coming soon.  😆 

On another note I'm starting to get very curious about bounce and turf interaction -- less about the amount of bounce and more about the location of the bounce on the sole.  I've been following a semi-local club-fitter/small manufacturer up in Ventura  (https://www.foreward.golf/https://www.instagram.com/matched_up_golf/  He talks a lot about this in his instagram feed along with some other factors in the fitting system he developed.  It's a pretty interesting listen.  

I noticed that 0317T are higher bounce (5º @3I & 14º@PW) than a lot of irons with the location of the bounce  toward the rear of the sole -- a construction shared with the wedges I'm gaming (RTX Zipcore). 

Out of curiosity I pulled out some older wedges I have and found that all the ones I got along with best (hit reasonably well most days and in most conditions) are the ones that share this construction -- rear bias and higher bounce.  The ones I remember being inconsistent with (big variation between good striking days and bad striking days) are all still mid-high bounce but with the bounce biased towards the center or leading edge of the sole.  This includes my current irons along with the 639 CB's and MP60's I've cycled through over the last couple years -- wish I could find a good picture of the sole of the RSI2's because I loved those.  I'm curious if the higher bounce and rear location compensates for my heavy contact miss by keeping the leading edge (and sole) up just enough that I get a better turf interaction that doesn't kill the clubhead speed & ball speed.  Obviously this is just one factor, but I'm wondering if it's overlooked by the vast majority of us.  Thoughts from fitters?  @McGolf

If you are a digger of sorts with the irons a high bounce number is a great start. That means the leading edge will not turn into a shovel directly as you interact with the turf. the rearward "bump" in the sole acts like a ski to prevent divot the size of Rhode island  or breaking your wrists at impact with the turf.

a possibility for the disposition to the rearward sole design in that your swing is not a severe version of chopping wood and more towards a golf swing.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

11 hours ago, McGolf said:

more towards a golf swing.

Exactly what I aspire to.  😆

Thank you for answering.  

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

On 2/7/2024 at 9:30 AM, Syks7 said:

There is a thread on Forward Golf and I believe he has jumped on a time or two.  

I have done really well with my Srixon MKII irons and they have the VT soles that help with turf interaction.

srixonsole.jpeg.bf180ab296363df22228c0387097d9f0.jpeg

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

There is a thread on Forward Golf and I believe he has jumped on a time or two.  

I have done really well with my Srixon MKII irons and they have the VT soles that help with turf interaction.

srixonsole.jpeg.bf180ab296363df22228c0387097d9f0.jpeg

My Hogan PTx Pro's have the V-sole as well. I'd be hard pressed to go back to anything else. I got along great with the ZX7s in my last fitting, too!

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

• 1 month later...

I was turned off at first at PXG price until I learned about Bob Parsons.  He said he spent $100,000 as a lifelong golfer on equipment, thus decided to start his own company.  He hired away talent from the big name brands.  Then when they came out with lower priced gear I got fit for a good driver.  Outdoors for me, I never feel comfortable swinging all out while indoors, except for wedges. 

I just started a thread, on fittings, anybody with recent experience in San Diego at Club Champ or True Spec?

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃