Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How important is greenside spin in a golf ball?

As I learn to spin more I do believe ball does matter. So far I'm happy with the way Maxfli has been doing for me

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Greenside spin is super important to me. Pitching and chipping are generally the strongest area of my game and I rely heavily on spin to stop the ball where I need to. There is nothing I hate more than my ball rolling out more than I expected.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

A few people have mentioned the AVX. I’ve played it a handful of times and liked it. I recently started playing the Maxfli Tour S and found it very similar and much cheaper. Only downside is I think it’s available in the US only so you’d have to cross the border to get some

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

21 hours ago, Wieskemp said:

Where do you find how something responds to different swing speeds? I'm leaning towards the AVX as you mentioned but my driver is typically ~120mph, so I'm not sure if a firmer ball like the left dash would work better for it. 

If you look at the MGS ball test results for 2021 and 2023, then filter the data in the charts by lowest spin you will see differences in Ball speed between the (soft balls) Tour BRX and RXS, Taylormade Tour Response, AVX, vs the ball speed for the Pro V1x Left Dash which is the hardest/fastest ball on the market. Those ball speed differences are from the softer ball being compressed more and losing energy and therefore distance. 

But if those balls drop your spin with driver by 500 rpm, that gain may offset most of the loss of lower ball speed while theoretically flying straighter from low spin. It requires on course testing to see how it holds up for your swing and equipment. I went through this last year when I was swinging close to 110 MPH and struggle with direction control. The Tour Response being notably lower spin than "Tour" level balls was also noticeably straighter. The only downside was difficulty stopping on firmer greens with long approaches. 

At 120MPH you will likely see significant improvements to driving distance with the Left Dash to take advantage of that speed. But those softer balls are usually another level below the left dash in terms of spin. Which may benefit your approach play and reduce spinning balls off the green. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0