Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Can tipping a shaft affect swing weight?

I recently ordered a new driver. Specs below:

new: Callaway AI Smoke TD 9°, Fujikura Motore F1 7-X, Golfpride Z Grip Align with custom built up tape. 

Old: Callaway Rogue ST TD 9°, Fujikura Motore F1 7-X, Golfpride Z Grip Align with custom built up tape. 

I ordered the new club with the same specs as my previous with one exception. In my Rogue, I tipped the shaft 1/2”. Both play at 45”. The shafts match with grip build and static weight. However, when I tried each shaft in the AI smoke, my tipped shaft comes in .5 heavier swing weight (D3.5 vs D3.0). I’m having a hard time comprehending where this difference is coming from. 

Ryan Benefield

6 hours ago, Rbenefield said:

I recently ordered a new driver. Specs below:

new: Callaway AI Smoke TD 9°, Fujikura Motore F1 7-X, Golfpride Z Grip Align with custom built up tape. 

Old: Callaway Rogue ST TD 9°, Fujikura Motore F1 7-X, Golfpride Z Grip Align with custom built up tape. 

I ordered the new club with the same specs as my previous with one exception. In my Rogue, I tipped the shaft 1/2”. Both play at 45”. The shafts match with grip build and static weight. However, when I tried each shaft in the AI smoke, my tipped shaft comes in .5 heavier swing weight (D3.5 vs D3.0). I’m having a hard time comprehending where this difference is coming from. 

It could since tipping the shaft moves the balance point.  It could also be he actual component weights, the epoxy, or the tape.  Each component has manufacturing tolerances so even with the same total weight the individual pieces could weight more or less which will influence swingweight.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

It could since tipping the shaft moves the balance point.  It could also be he actual component weights, the epoxy, or the tape.  Each component has manufacturing tolerances so even with the same total weight the individual pieces could weight more or less which will influence swingweight.  

I build the grips myself and I’m very particular on how I do it so that part should be the same. Unsure about the epoxy as the adapter came attached from Callaway. 

Ryan Benefield

Your .5 swingweight difference is equivalent to 1 gram at the tip of the shaft (adapter/epoxy/ club head) or 2 grams at the butt end.   Given that grips and shafts as well as heads and adapters all have manufacturing tolerances it's going to be next to impossible short of dismantling the entire club to evaluate each component to determine where the variation occurred.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

15 minutes ago, Rbenefield said:

I build the grips myself and I’m very particular on how I do it so that part should be the same. Unsure about the epoxy as the adapter came attached from Callaway. 

If the grip and associated tape weighs the exact same as your other grip and tape it is some combination of  the weight of the shaft, adapter, epoxy, and the moved balance point that added half a swingweight point. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG