Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

10 learnings about switching to a broomstick that the online reviews/instructionals don't tell you

Thank you so much for this @MissionMan again a very well thought out write up. I pulled the trigger on a broom after back to back 40+ putt rounds. It’s just time to try something different in my eyes.. hopefully this starts moving my handicap south of 16 which is my target for this year.. 

I am THE worst putter in the world… I will not have you try to take what is mine

2 hours ago, JuniorXVIII said:

Thank you so much for this @MissionMan again a very well thought out write up. I pulled the trigger on a broom after back to back 40+ putt rounds. It’s just time to try something different in my eyes.. hopefully this starts moving my handicap south of 16 which is my target for this year.. 

thanks. Hope it goes well. Let me know if you have any questions when it arrives. 

GT2 10° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 60  
GT2 16.5° Project X HZRDUS 6.0 Black 5G 70
TSR2 18° HZRDUS Black 6.0 4G 
2 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
4 Iron T200 Utility HZRDUS Black 6.0
T150 5- PW (44) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Grip Master Tour Wrap Grips
Garmin Z30

Not interested in a broomstick, at least at this time, but that was a great info-packed write up!! 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

• MissionMan changed the title to 10 learnings about switching to a broomstick that the online reviews/instructionals don't tell you
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great review and I'm going to revisit when my Cybertruck on a stick (Mezz. 1 Max, red head, TPT shaft) arrives. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to getting a review of my own up at some point soon!

Driver: PING G430LST; Fujikura Ventus Red 6X; 9*

3 Wood: Titleist TSR3; Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7X; 15*

Driving Iron: PXG 0311X Gen5; Fujikura Ventus HB Blue; 17*

4-PW: PXG 0317 ST; TT Dynamic Gold 120 X; 1.5* Strong, 1 Up

50/56/60: Vokey SM9; TT Dynamic Gold Tour X

Putter: L.A.B. Mezz. 1 Max Broom 46"; 79.5*

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 2023/currently testing Bridgestone Tour BX

@MissionMan - Thanks for such a fantastic post! Once I have reread it carefully, I plan to do a more thorough response, to include my own comments and probably some questions. As background, I am currently doing a Forum Testing review on the Argolf Pendragon XL broomstick and couldn't agree more that it is very different from conventional putting and definitely not as easy as YTers make it seem. Thus far I find that my lag putting is much better than my short (3' to 6') putting. for example, last night was my first time taking broomsticking to the course and short putts is where I lost strokes. In fact, I missed a couple of 4 footers but sunk a 15-footer. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Alta CB SR flex 

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping Anser 4H (23*) - TFC 800H regular flex

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-GW - Recoil 80 F3 shaft 

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye-2 grind 56* - Recoil 80 F3 shaft, ChipR - Alta CB regular flex shaft

Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Seven DB  

Other: Vice Pro or Snell Prime 3.0; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Did a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

This was so well written and it’ll seriously help me as I learn how to putt with a broom. Routine really is the word. Thanks for the post. 

IMG_4325.jpeg

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Went out and play 18 with broomstick yesterday and putting was just okay.  With shorter stick i often like to forward press especially for longer putts.  For me. I find it more difficult not forward press with broomstick when that part of my putting 

I’m  used to having the butt end ahead of the putterhead   with my short putter.  Give it more time trying to Learning  to develop distance control with broomstick.  Otherwise just as good for line compared with my other putters for short putts 

Have been experimenting with lower hand grip. I been using a pencil grip in past but last round switch over so the grip of the putter slides in between my forefinger and middle finger so it’s more of a palm grip 

Edited by Haro

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2024 at 10:11 AM, Haro said:

Went out and play 18 with broomstick yesterday and putting was just okay.  With shorter stick i often like to forward press especially for longer putts.  For me. I find it more difficult not forward press with broomstick when that part of my putting 

I’m  used to having the butt end ahead of the putterhead   with my short putter.  Give it more time trying to Learning  to develop distance control with broomstick.  Otherwise just as good for line compared with my other putters for short putts 

Have been experimenting with lower hand grip. I been using a pencil grip in past but last round switch over so the grip of the putter slides in between my forefinger and middle finger so it’s more of a palm grip 

Something that stuck with me was the recommendation to let your arms hang naturally at your side.  Whichever tendency your hands face is a logical way to determine right hand position (for a right handed putter).

Mine hang almost completely palms down which made a pistol style finger grip work better for me.  The palm facing the hole was ugly and ineffective.

On a separate note - I am still having some issues with lag putts.  Today showed some promise and I only had two, 3-putts.  My misses are consistently from not hitting the ball hard enough and I am still learning to trust myself enough to get the ball moving.  The good news is there is progress and the great strokes severely outweighs the poor ones.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Posted (edited)

fourth round with the broomstick and getting more comfortable with distance control 

Beside the experimenting with the bottom hand palm up and palm down, 

I find the what I do with the bottom hand affects how I want to have my top thumb either sitting on the butt end of the broomstick or else trying the top thumb wrap around the grip 

How do you find the Mezz compared to other broomsticks?

10 hours ago, bens197 said:

Something that stuck with me was the recommendation to let your arms hang naturally at your side.  Whichever tendency your hands face is a logical way to determine right hand position (for a right handed putter).

Mine hang almost completely palms down which made a pistol style finger grip work better for me.  The palm facing the hole was ugly and ineffective.

On a separate note - I am still having some issues with lag putts.  Today showed some promise and I only had two, 3-putts.  My misses are consistently from not hitting the ball hard enough and I am still learning to trust myself enough to get the ball moving.  The good news is there is progress and the great strokes severely outweighs the poor ones.

Edited by Haro

Posted (edited)

Lagner describes how he puts his top thumb  wrapped around the grip at 10 sec 

McCarron talks  about thumb on top of the shaft at 0:37 sec

What do you  think?

I look at photos of Adam Scott and Lucas Glover 

They have their left thumb on top of the shaft 

Edited by Haro

7 hours ago, Haro said:

fourth round with the broomstick and getting more comfortable with distance control 

Beside the experimenting with the bottom hand palm up and palm down, 

I find the what I do with the bottom hand affects how I want to have my top thumb either sitting on the butt end of the broomstick or else trying the top thumb wrap around the grip 

How do you find the Mezz compared to other broomsticks?

I place my left thumb on the butt of the grip and I’ve found that I have better control if I hold the right hand halfway down. 

I’ve only used the Mezz. My 35” putter is an original Mezz and the broom is a Mezz max. Super forgiving and wonderful feel. 

I may bring the 35” out soon just to see how it rolls but I’m far from believing I’ll stop using the broom anytime soon. I really like using it and want to learn how to become even better. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

I can only imagine how hard it is on long putts.  The learning curve looks really steep.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

I would be so worried to put one of these in a travel bag and give it to baggage handlers. I play *just* enough vacation golf to where that is too big a risk for me. I would love to tinker with a LAB DF3 broomstick at some point. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

Great write up, thoroughly enjoyed it. I have the LAB Mez 1 Max in short and  a Broom stick. I have been struggling with my putting for years it seems, fighting the yips and confidence constantly. I have been working with the Broom, but don’t have the confidence to take it to the course yet. Believe it or not, i have been working on just about everything you mentioned. Just switched the grip on my shorter Mez Max to LAB’s new pistol grip press and I like it a lot. Thought my stroke improved drastically and then had a piss poor putting round yesterday that has my head spinning. It never ceases to amaze me how the supposedly easiest part of the game, where you have to cover the shortest distances and don’t have to swing out of your shoes, continues to endlessly befuddle me. I will continue to work on it using your suggestions and will continue as always to hope for the best. Thanks for your insight.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 1:03 AM, Delaware Joe said:

Great write up, thoroughly enjoyed it. I have the LAB Mez 1 Max in short and  a Broom stick. I have been struggling with my putting for years it seems, fighting the yips and confidence constantly. I have been working with the Broom, but don’t have the confidence to take it to the course yet. Believe it or not, i have been working on just about everything you mentioned. Just switched the grip on my shorter Mez Max to LAB’s new pistol grip press and I like it a lot. Thought my stroke improved drastically and then had a piss poor putting round yesterday that has my head spinning. It never ceases to amaze me how the supposedly easiest part of the game, where you have to cover the shortest distances and don’t have to swing out of your shoes, continues to endlessly befuddle me. I will continue to work on it using your suggestions and will continue as always to hope for the best. Thanks for your insight.

Sometimes you just have to take it out on the course and see what happens. It was pretty nerve wracking taking mine out for the first time, but only real golf will give you an idea on how you putt under pressure. My first couple of games went 32/30/28 so it got better. It did go back to 34 for a couple of games when I changed my grip and didn't realise the impact but it's back down into the 28-30 range on most days.

Edited by MissionMan

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

• 1 month later...

The day has come, I have to say goodbye to the broomstick.  Full credit to @MissionMan for his deep dive and phenomenal posts that not only share his work but helped players like me try and grasp the method.

Ultimately, I could never get my distances sorted out on anything outside of 10-15 feet.  Lag putting was the constant issue and after trying several different grips, postures and stances, I could not communicate a way to make my brain work with my body.

I want to say this.  The broomstick was easily the BEST putter I’ve ever used inside 10 feet.  It is incredibly accurate on the line and I was making more putts inside 10 feet than I have in years.  Weighing it against my current MEZZ.1, the 35” model suits me better in the all around play.

If you can find a way to get your speed down, I would absolutely 100% recommend a broom.  I wish it would have worked however sometimes it just isn’t meant to be.

Thank you Mission Man for the effort you put into this thread to help guys like me try and figure it out.  If anyone is looking for a 47” 79.5* platinum with an Accra shaft, it’s currently on the bay for the next 2.5 days.

~Steve

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

18 hours ago, bens197 said:

The day has come, I have to say goodbye to the broomstick.  Full credit to @MissionMan for his deep dive and phenomenal posts that not only share his work but helped players like me try and grasp the method.

Ultimately, I could never get my distances sorted out on anything outside of 10-15 feet.  Lag putting was the constant issue and after trying several different grips, postures and stances, I could not communicate a way to make my brain work with my body.

I want to say this.  The broomstick was easily the BEST putter I’ve ever used inside 10 feet.  It is incredibly accurate on the line and I was making more putts inside 10 feet than I have in years.  Weighing it against my current MEZZ.1, the 35” model suits me better in the all around play.

If you can find a way to get your speed down, I would absolutely 100% recommend a broom.  I wish it would have worked however sometimes it just isn’t meant to be.

Thank you Mission Man for the effort you put into this thread to help guys like me try and figure it out.  If anyone is looking for a 47” 79.5* platinum with an Accra shaft, it’s currently on the bay for the next 2.5 days.

~Steve

Sorry to hear it. Good luck with your next putting journey. Sometimes it just isn’t the right path for you so maybe it’s an arm lock that you find the right solution. 

I’m down the Bryson path of treating my putting a little more technically with fixed distances for my backswing based on a yard stick and one inch measurements. As an example, 10 to 10 inches (the 10 finish limits your acceleration) is about 4 yards on a flat green, etc. 1 degree slope makes it 11 feet or 9 feet if it’s 10 in the stimp.

I think one of my personal challenges with putting distance is I’m not a very good feel putter. In conjunction to that, if I miss a putt badly enough to 3 putt, I then start second guessing everything and then it goes bad because tentative and lacking confidence. 

I play with a similar handicap who is brilliant. Some players can look at the hole and know instantly how hard to swing and he is one them. I can feel chipping because you’re picking a landing, but putting seems to harder because the distance changes based on green speed, slope etc. The broom works better for me because it relies more on gravity than manual acceleration so there is less room for error. 

With the technical approach, I stick to the plan. It helps a lot with really long putts because you have the confidence to know you can hit the putt and not worry, even if you have a bad putt occasionally. 

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

12 hours ago, MissionMan said:

I think one of my personal challenges with putting distance is I’m not a very good feel putter. In conjunction to that, if I miss a putt badly enough to 3 putt, I then start second guessing everything and then it goes bad because tentative and lacking confidence. 

This could be the difference.  I am not a very technical putter, never have been.  I still have a LAB MEZZ and played last Sunday.  The lag putts were all within 3-4’ and I had zero three putts.  

A friend I’ve introduced to LAB putters has a DF3 CB and I hope to get that a roll soon to see how it fits.  Ultimately, I know that the standard MEZZ works for me and I don’t have to chase something else.  There may be something better however this one is still good.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 5/21/2024 at 10:44 AM, vandyland said:

I would be so worried to put one of these in a travel bag and give it to baggage handlers. I play *just* enough vacation golf to where that is too big a risk for me. I would love to tinker with a LAB DF3 broomstick at some point. 

Just take a 1" wood dowel and cut it approximately 1" longer than your putter. Then wrap your golf towel around the end. It also works great to protect your driver.

SjW

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Emmitsburg said:

I noticed in your equipment listing it was an armlock not a broom?

Someone asked me if I tried an armlock before switching and how it compared, and I hadn’t tried one, so I figured I would give it a go for 3 months and see what happens. I’m about a month in and it’s been good and bad so I’ll give it some more time. It's also given me a chance to try the DF3 to see whether it's something I want to explore in a broomstick. After this, I'll make a call on my final path. If I stay with the broomstick, I'll probably upgrade my shaft to a TPT. Still not sure on the DF3 vs Mezz Max though.

Edited by MissionMan

Vokey SM9 48.10 F Grind, 
Vokey SM9 54.10 S Grind, 
Vokey SM9 60.08 M Grind, 
L.A.B DF3 Armlock
Garmin Z30

Approximately 6 months ago I switched to broomstick putting. I tried various lengths and headweights, finally settling on 47" length, 452 gram head weight, 79* lie angle.

Compared to 35" putters I've found the broomstick to be easier to align at address, and also easier with which to make smooth strokes, so it's all good.

Edited by Louis_Posture

Your article is the reason I signed up with the forum, @MissionMan.  

I took up the broomstick road a month ago and most of what you say is what's happening to me.  Personally, I find it very difficult to not manipulate a golf club with my hands so it's hard to get used to NOT.  But I must admit that the rolling and the pendulum motion of my Mezz Max are unbelievable.  

I used to game a long putter for three years back before the ban, but this new Lab putters combined with the no anchoring are a completely different story. 

Overall it's a way simpler technique than traditional putting; however, you are so bound to mechanics and routine with a short putter that it's hard to overcome that stage.  I do encourage golfers to try a broom.  The back and forth without thinking concept is mentally refreshing,  especially for established players. 

I follow this thread close, posts are of great help on my road to brooming.  Thanks