Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

My family gifted me four lessons with the course assistant pro for Father's Day, and had my first one this morning. I walked away feeling much more confident with my driver than I showed up.

Having just met my pro - Drew - we went over what my big problems are what I wanted to accomplish. I let him know that I am currently struggling with a two way miss with the driver, but leaning towards a hard cut with a  random snap hook for no apparent reason. Turns out the biggest culprit was alignment. I've been aligning myself too far right (the adjustment felt like I had my lead foot halfway down the third base line), and I've been subconsciously compensating by coming over the top in an attempt to bring it left. A simple shift half a shoe left pretty much corrected most of my issues; I'm hitting it straight to a 10-12 yard cut off the tee after this morning. Additionally, the feeling of "dropping" my hands into the slot behind me, keeping my butt down, riding my hands and the clubhead along a hula-hoop and twisting the clubface shut with my left hand (I do this for my irons, but not so much for my driver) got me further on plane and staying behind the ball, sneaking in a few draws. These are things that I had worked on myself over the winter, but fell away from as the season opened up and not being able to put as much practice in. It was great to reawaken and validate these concepts, as my swing feelings and corrections have all been self-taught up to this point. My swing wasn't as broken as I thought it was, and being able to self-diagnose the issues from the ball flight is a huge confidence booster.  

The 45 minutes beating balls under the supervision of someone who knows what they're doing was incredibly valuable, as I walked away with a few cues and indicators of what I have been doing to generate my shot shape. I'm excited to put the concepts into play on the course and continue to work with him and improve. 

How many other people have had a similar experience with a pro? 

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

7 minutes ago, taylorjonasher said:

How many other people have had a similar experience with a pro? 

I’d say this is generally what happens with a lesson. There are exceptions,  it this is why it is recommended to take a lesson and not chase things via YouTube.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

23 hours ago, taylorjonasher said:

I walked away with a few cues and indicators of what I have been doing to generate my shot shape. 

Don't know if you're a note taker, but for me it's really helpful (for the old not as good anymore memory recall) to jot down the key concepts and drills from a lesson to refer back to later.

Do you have a plan for the next lesson, e.g. the next weakest part of your game?

But sounds like the first lesson was really productive and wow it turned out to be a really great gift!!

Edited by cksurfdude

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

35 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Don't know if you're a note taker, but for me it's really helpful (for the old not as good anymore memory recall) to jot down the key concepts and drills from a lesson to refer back to later.

Do you have a plan for the next lesson, e.g. the next weakest part of your game?

But sounds like the first lesson was really productive and wow it turned out to be a really great gift!!

We had a discussion at the end with the key takeaways: Alignment, drop the hands into the slot, maintain posture! This post will act as my notebook for now - this is a great idea though! We didn't set an agenda together, but I want to work on my toe misses and lower my low point with the irons; I don't take much of a divot. I'd like to hit down on the ball more than I do now - my ball flight and spin on strikes that I actually hit down and through are what I want every time. After that two putting sessions should round things out, my short game already bails me out of most situations that I get myself into!

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

That's fantastic that you were able to walk away improving !  Also awesome of your family!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

On 7/10/2024 at 12:25 PM, taylorjonasher said:

but I want to work on my toe misses and lower my low point with the irons; I don't take much of a divot. I'd like to hit down on the ball more than I do now

Working in the swing should fix your toe strikes. Work on a better swing not focusing on a result of a bad swing.

The notion of hitting down on irons and up on driver is something that needs to die in golf swing talk. Hitting down or more down than now is the incorrect way to approach trying to improve. If you work on your swing you will have the proper aoa for your swing