Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Research and sacrifice

Hey eveybody. I am a husband and father that wants to get back into the swing of things (pun intended). To start though, I’d love feedback, or even a roast in my honor.

My Bag:

9.5 degree Taylormade Aeroburner. Stiff Flex.

5 wood Taylormade Aeroburner

4 and 5 hybrids Mizuno HiFli hybrids

4-PW Mizuno MP150

52 and 56 ckeveland cg10’s

Oddesy 2 ball putter.

First off, I have acquired these things over time for budget purposes, so I know most of these are ancient. But I tested them all before purchasing them second hand. I chose a 9.5 degree because naturally I hit everything quite high, so a lower lofted driver was ideal for my distance. The hybrids were to cover the large gap between my 4 iron and 5 wood. And the wedges I didn’t understand how to space them before buying a 52 and 58. I would do it over and go 52, 56, and 60.

HMU for some inexpensive ways to improve my setup!

It takes a lot balls to golf like me

Welcome to mgs!

Once you were comfortable with your clubs and getting acclimated back into the "swing of things," then you could probably start looking at other options when you are ready.

Chrck Facebook marketplace, rockbottomgolf.com,  goodwill and thrift dtores, and similar sites. You can usually find a great deal on wedges on clearance 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, Billsy22 said:

Are wedges where you’d recommend I start?

You seem to think you have an issue with wedges. Why?

if it is because you lack a 60* wedge, I would say there is no requirement to own a 60; I seldom hit mine and probably wouldn’t replace.  

why do you think you need to upgrade? What issues are you having?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, Billsy22 said:

Hey eveybody. I am a husband and father that wants to get back into the swing of things (pun intended). To start though, I’d love feedback, or even a roast in my honor.

My Bag:

4-PW Mizuno MP150

Oddesy 2 ball putter.

First off, I have acquired these things over time for budget purposes, so I know most of these are ancient. But I tested them all before purchasing them second hand. I chose a 9.5 degree because naturally I hit everything quite high, so a lower lofted driver was ideal for my distance. The hybrids were to cover the large gap between my 4 iron and 5 wood. And the wedges I didn’t understand how to space them before buying a 52 and 58. I would do it over and go 52, 56, and 60.

Welcome to the Forum!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

You seem to think you have an issue with wedges. Why?

if it is because you lack a 60* wedge, I would say there is no requirement to own a 60; I seldom hit mine and probably wouldn’t replace.  

why do you think you need to upgrade? What issues are you having?

My main reason is distance control when I’m near the green. When I first bought them I didn’t quite understand how to space my wedges. I was told 15ish yards between them after the fact and I’m more like 30 right now and typically hit a lot of 3/4 swing 58’s and I never hit that shot well…

It takes a lot balls to golf like me

1 hour ago, Billsy22 said:

My main reason is distance control when I’m near the green. When I first bought them I didn’t quite understand how to space my wedges. I was told 15ish yards between them after the fact and I’m more like 30 right now and typically hit a lot of 3/4 swing 58’s and I never hit that shot well…

IMO, wedges are a little different for gapping.  Full swing clubs are about 10-15 yards and wedges are about being able to hit specific distances with partial swings.     Near the green is learning how far you hit the club by feel or using a system like the clock or body system.      

You could always just add a wedge between your current wedges and narrow the distance and be able to hit more distances.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I was/am in a similar boat. Mine were quite a bit older than yours. Here’s how I went about mine. I ranked driver and putter as most important, so those were the first two I targeted. I did a fitting at a PXG store to help me get an idea for what I needed. PXG ran a pretty good Black Friday sale last year where I picked up the driver. I’d periodically check at the local Dick’s Sporting Goods for pre-owned putters and actually landed a LAB Mezz.1 for about half price. Wedges were next up and I’ve bought a wedge on eBay, and one on clearance at PGATSS (when new models release). Found my irons on eBay. If you limit to auctions there’s potential for better deals but there’s a lot fewer, especially if you look at some of the DTC brands (mine were Sub 70), just because those get overlooked by a lot of people.

I still need to get around to the fairway woods! Hope this helps!

19 hours ago, Billsy22 said:

My Bag:

4-PW Mizuno MP150

Oddesy 2 ball putter.

Welcome to the forum.  Before offering suggestions on bag changes, tell us a little more about your game.  What part of the game are you best at and what part do you struggle with the most? 

There are so many budget friendly options to upgrade equipment but, before doing so, I would strongly suggest a fitting with a competent fitter (presuming you have not done so?).  This, IMO, is one of the best investments one can make. 

Once you have the baseline data of your current clubs, and comparative data of any offering improvement, you'll have more confidence what you invest in will help.  If budget for the latest makes/models is an issue, you can always look for used of those same ones, or even new/used of the previous release (or two).  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)