Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Bandon in February?

My son and a couple of his golf buddies are trying to plan a fathers/sons golf trip and have focused on Bandon next February  They are intrigued by the reputation of the place and the fact that the offseason rates are really low for a premium level golf resort.  They are wanting to do it in February, rationale being that the rates are the lowest and it will be an opportunity for those northbound lads to get a golf trip in when they are enduring the dregs of winter.

I have been trying to point out to tn coast in the months of December, January and February on the Oregon coast are among the rainiest months on the planet, which combined with average high/lows of 55/39 and average winds of 10/30, might make for a less than optimum golf experience.  Average monthly precipitation ranges from 10 inches per month in December to 7.6 inches per month in February.  That's PER MONTH.  The February averages equates to a quarter inch per day, with a 70% chance of rain on any given day (not to mention the 95% cloud cover, cool to cold temperatures and wind off the ocean).  

Mobile Alabama is the wettest city in the US and the rainiest month they have is a little over 4 inches in the month.

No wonder the rates are so cheap.  

So, my rant is done, and it has done no good.

Anybody have any real world experience with Bandon in February or the winter months??  I'm loving and flattered by their efforts to set up a fathers/sons trip, but this sounds like something set up to be a miserable golf experience.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I live precisely 132 miles from Bandon Dunes. I can speak from experience that the weather in February can be dreadful. However, there can be some AMAZING days mixed in there. I'm taking 65*, sunny and no wind...(in Oregon that is bathing suit weather)  Another reason for the decrease in prices is the shorter days.  It is a struggle for most groups to get 36 in during the short winter days. The early tee times are at a premium.

Here is the deal though. No matter what the weather is, you will have an amazing time.  I have played there in 85* sunny weather and I have played there in 40* rainy blowing 35mph.  It is fun no matter what. Just be prepared. Pack well.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• 5 months later...

Is this trip still on??  A couple of the fellas here at the shop are contemplating a weekender to Bandon this Feb...  Might be cool if it all worked to meet for food or drinks after golf.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Agree on the possibility of rain but as MmmmmmBuddy says, it can be warm and beautiful on the Oregon coast in the winter. Just luck though. I grew up only 54 miles from the Oregon coast and have seen nicer weather in the winter than on some days in the summer!

I played Bandon in March a few years ago and it rained all night long with 25 mph winds, but 30 minutes before tee time the sun came out. Still windy though but that's about as close to Scottish golf you can get without going to Scotland! Had a wonderful time. It's worth the trip.

It doesn't really matter how much it rains, it's sand and the water just soaks right in. Just remember, it's a walking course.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Is this trip still on??  A couple of the fellas here at the shop are contemplating a weekender to Bandon this Feb...  Might be cool if it all worked to meet for food or drinks after golf.

They've agreed to try March instead of February.  Don't know the specifics yet or whether one month will make a difference!

• 3 weeks later...

I can speak personally to the March idea. I went in March 2013 around the last week of the month. We had the best weather you could imagine for that time of year. As in, I bought all this rain gear and needed it for about  7 of the 139 holes we played. That said, it was pretty cold. The 2 rounds I played on Old MacDonald when the wind was blowing was about the coldest I've been on a golf course. So the gear came in handy for warmth. If multiple people are going, be sure to check on the golf/room/food packages. They don't advertise them on the website, but a buddy and I took advantage. This is not to say it won't rain when you're there. I'm just saying I got lucky.

Now... fast forward to this past July. I was at Pumpkin Ridge near Portland and was playing with a local who has a group that goes down to Bandon every February. He said sometimes the weather is great. One time it snowed. Another time it was blowing 50 one day and no one could go out. So it seems the weather is much more unpredictable in February rather than March. 

All things considered, when I tell people I went to Bandon, and they ask how it was, I give the same answer "Best trip ever." You know it's good when you're friends are talking about when we're going back, and you haven't even left the place yet.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

I can speak personally to the March idea. I went in March 2013 around the last week of the month. We had the best weather you could imagine for that time of year. As in, I bought all this rain gear and needed it for about  7 of the 139 holes we played. That said, it was pretty cold. The 2 rounds I played on Old MacDonald when the wind was blowing was about the coldest I've been on a golf course. So the gear came in handy for warmth. If multiple people are going, be sure to check on the golf/room/food packages. They don't advertise them on the website, but a buddy and I took advantage. This is not to say it won't rain when you're there. I'm just saying I got lucky.

Now... fast forward to this past July. I was at Pumpkin Ridge near Portland and was playing with a local who has a group that goes down to Bandon every February. He said sometimes the weather is great. One time it snowed. Another time it was blowing 50 one day and no one could go out. So it seems the weather is much more unpredictable in February rather than March. 

All things considered, when I tell people I went to Bandon, and they ask how it was, I give the same answer "Best trip ever." You know it's good when you're friends are talking about when we're going back, and you haven't even left the place yet.

Thanks for the input!!!  No further info on the trip.

Archived