Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Lessons? What do we want from them?

kingcscott

Repost from my AskGolfGuru app question (updated)

Mark,

I love the vlogs, tips and reviews. Keep 'em coming.
Here is my question. I want to take some lessons, but I don't know what I really want from them. I play at an 11 currently and need consistency more than anything, but we are all seeking that, I think. How do I approach this? I have an instructor in mind and my wife has given me the lessons for Christmas. I just don't know what I need from the lessons.

Scott King
Athens, Ga USA

ps. My Ball striking is pretty good mostly out of the center, driving is really good at times (not overly long, but down the middle or mostly playable) My putter woes have mostly  disappeared with my new Odyssey 9 XG, love it. Short game is okay and I have a good touch. I just want to get overall better, but I just don't know where to start.

Sorry, I am always wordy when typing.

A good coach will take a look at your swing and be able to tell you what you need. He'll be able to see your big miss based on what he sees. And then can develop a plan to help take those tendencies out of your swing. When you're talking consistency, it's all about minimizing the big misses.

What I've found to be helpful with instruction is to ask questions about changes. He wants you to turn your shoulders on a steeper plane. What is his goal with this change? Are there more steps he already has in mind that will build off this? Etc. I found an understanding of the coaches direction helps me rather than just blind faith of "the coach told me to do this, so that's what I'm doing."

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

I would say that an 11 already has a sense of how to hit the ball. So I'd be looking for someone who will not only help you as described by Tiba above but also someone who will become your go to guy when things go sideways. This teacher will know your game and be able to spot a fundamental or move that is out of sequence in a couple of swings to get you back on track. Bonus points if he will take you out for a playing lesson or two. I used to play some with my former teacher and I learned a lot, plus it helped him to know what to have me work on as he saw how my game fit on the course.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I would say that an 11 already has a sense of how to hit the ball. So I'd be looking for someone who will not only help you as described by Tiba above but also someone who will become your go to guy when things go sideways. This teacher will know your game and be able to spot a fundamental or move that is out of sequence in a couple of swings to get you back on track. Bonus points if he will take you out for a playing lesson or two. I used to play some with my former teacher and I learned a lot, plus it helped him to know what to have me work on as he saw how my game fit on the course.

At this point, more than anything else, I'd be interested in playing lessons.  Regardless of my performance on any given day, the 5 years of group lessons taught me what I SHOULD be doing.  It's the course management and shots that are difficult to practice away from the course (side hill/down hill lies, etc.) that I think I'd get the most benefit from.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

kingcscott,

I live near Cartersville, GA,  retired here 3 years ago from Maryland. Isn't it great to get 2 or 3 days of 60 degree weather to play golf. Not in MD at this time of year. In response to your question, I agree with the gentlemen above, just don't get an instructor who wants to change everything about your game unless you have the TIME to practice and your 20 years old.  I found one in MD and he said I needed to work a lot harder on my short game. My driver and irons were ok. Dropped my handicap from a 15 to 10 in 2014. If your an 11, a few suggestions like that should have you in the single digits soon.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

Just a rookies point of view, but at that level I would think you are looking for the little things. If you use any sort of shot/game tracking, analyze those rounds to determine where the 11 extra strokes come from and start making a list from each round as to what caused the extra shots. This may point to something that you are not seeing as a problem. You could have your potential instructor review the rounds also to see if (s)he sees something different.

Archived