What equipment are you thinking about?

null

15 hours ago, William P said:

IMHO before buying I would get fitted in both and then determine if the additional expense of the GT4 provides enough performance difference to warrant the cost. 

Sound advice for sure.  To be honest, unless you have had a massive swing change I doubt there will be that much difference between the two clubs since there is only a two year gap.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

Think about full swing; you can have an in to out path, out to in, or zeroed out path.   Putters are the same.   Bruce Rearick; who taught me about putting, is a putting specific instructor and through his research identified 9 different profiles for the putting stroke. 
https://bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2018/03/nine-putting-profiles-which-one-fits-you.html

my path is slight biased to the left.   Path includes about 10-15% of the balls directions and the face controls the majority.   Things like offset and shaft position influence how open or closed a putter will be.  Because my path is left biased, having the putter slightly open at impact is ideal.  Another reason, if you typically kiss left, you could get a putter that is more open at impact to mitigate the let miss instead of changing your stroke.   You could reverse this for right misses.   LAB promotes zero path and square to path for the face angle.   

what difference are you trying to understand? Torque is a twisting feel that you would “feel” with any style of putter.   Broom, armlock, counterbalance, and standard are just styles of putters. 

I know I have a slight arc to my putting stroke.  This is probably why anytime i have tried the LAB putter it never goes into the hole because  i dont have a straight back and thru putting stroke.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

13 minutes ago, bama no 1 said:

I know I have a slight arc to my putting stroke.  This is probably why anytime i have tried the LAB putter it never goes into the hole because  i dont have a straight back and thru putting stroke.

LAB isnt about SBST.  The putter is on an inclined plane therefore all putter heads will move on an arc.  The amount of arc is dependent on how far you stand away from the ball.   Zeroed out means the head moves away from the target line the same amount on the back and thru swings

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, bama no 1 said:

You can send them to me, i will take them off your hands..

They've been donated to the local high school science department to be cut open/dunked in various caustic fluids etc...

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) 

Fairway Woods: NEW Cobra LTDx King 3 & 5 FW (Project-X Hzrdus iM10 Smoke Green 60g 5.5R)

Irons: TaylorMade Qi 6-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0 Mallet

Grips: GolfPride CP2 Wrap Jumbo

New Gamer Ball: 2024 Bridgestone Tour B RX 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

LAB isnt about SBST.  The putter is on an inclined plane therefore all putter heads will move on an arc.  The amount of arc is dependent on how far you stand away from the ball.   Zeroed out means the head moves away from the target line the same amount on the back and thru swings

So if Lab is based on zeroed out principle which i believe it is and stays on the target line the same amount isnt that what is basically straight back straight through regardsless of the amount of arc based on how far you stand away from the ball as you mentioned.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

2 hours ago, bama no 1 said:

So if Lab is based on zeroed out principle which i believe it is and stays on the target line the same amount isnt that what is basically straight back straight through regardsless of the amount of arc based on how far you stand away from the ball as you mentioned.

The putter stays square to the putter path which isn't necessarily the target line.   This is from their site:

Lie Angle Balance (L.A.B.) Technology makes it effortless for golfers to deliver a square putter face at impact because, unlike other putters, it keeps the putter face square to the arc throughout the stroke. It makes putting as easy as picking the right line, the right speed, and making your natural stroke.

SBST is conceptually where the putter never leaves the target line for the entire stroke.   Basically if your putter hung straight down 90 degrees and move back and forth like a pendulum. 

If you look here, profiles 2, 5, and 8 are zero'd out paths:  https://bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2018/03/nine-putting-profiles-which-one-fits-you.html.  Profile 2 is probably considered SBST due to the minimal arc and low head rotation.  These profiles are where LAB probably fits best.  

People often think 3, 6, and 9 are SBST because the left bias moves the putter more on the target line on the backstroke but on the through stroke it goes left.  

You can also move the hands SBST depending on how you move the putter but the putter head itself will still arc because of the shaft plane. 

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The putter stays square to the putter path which isn't necessarily the target line.   This is from their site:

Lie Angle Balance (L.A.B.) Technology makes it effortless for golfers to deliver a square putter face at impact because, unlike other putters, it keeps the putter face square to the arc throughout the stroke. It makes putting as easy as picking the right line, the right speed, and making your natural stroke.

SBST is conceptually where the putter never leaves the target line for the entire stroke.   Basically if your putter hung straight down 90 degrees and move back and forth like a pendulum. 

If you look here, profiles 2, 5, and 8 are zero'd out paths:  https://bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2018/03/nine-putting-profiles-which-one-fits-you.html.  Profile 2 is probably considered SBST due to the minimal arc and low head rotation.  These profiles are where LAB probably fits best.  

People often think 3, 6, and 9 are SBST because the left bias moves the putter more on the target line on the backstroke but on the through stroke it goes left.  

You can also move the hands SBST depending on how you move the putter but the putter head itself will still arc because of the shaft plane. 

We are saying the same thing.  My putting stroke is more like 2 on the swing path and is what I consider to be straight back and through.  But I do have a slight arc.

the way I read the lab statement, the putter head remains square to the putter path however you swing the putter which could could be any of the 9 paths.

the trick in all these paths is placing the ball in the correct position to square the face precisely on the target line when the ball is struck.  Given that lab says zero torque, path 2 makes more sense to me since it closely resembles straight back and through.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

4 minutes ago, bama no 1 said:

the way I read the lab statement, the putter head remains square to the putter path however you swing the putter which could could be any of the 9 paths.

That would be my interpretation as well.  When I talked about stroke biases with LAB they indicated they believe that they are caused by years of using torqued putters and that by using a LAB your path will get better.  During the LAB DF3 test I asked @mpatrickriley how it worked for him since he has/had a very out to in path and I believe has reduced it via practice.  He can correct me if I misunderstood but the  putter started the ball online which should mean it really didn't stay square to the path. 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

That would be my interpretation as well.  When I talked about stroke biases with LAB they indicated they believe that they are caused by years of using torqued putters and that by using a LAB your path will get better.  During the LAB DF3 test I asked @mpatrickriley how it worked for him since he has/had a very out to in path and I believe has reduced it via practice.  He can correct me if I misunderstood but the  putter started the ball online which should mean it really didn't stay square to the path. 

This would be my current understanding: if you put a L.A.B. putter in the Revealer, if you keep the lie angle constant, no matter which direction you move the putter, the face shouldn't twist on its own. I would love to see a video of Sam testing this; in fact, I think I'm going to submit that on the L.A.B. users Facebook group, where Sam is active, to see if I'm on the right track.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX E722 16.5°, Tensei AV RAW Blue 65 S
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 19°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 22°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:callaway-small: Epic Forged 7 27°
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 7–PW
Diamond Tour Inazone 3.0 50°, 54°, 58°, Aldila NV 95 Graphite
:L.A.B.: DF3, Counterbalanced 37", TPT shaft, Garsen Quad Tour 17"

Full WITB with pictures

Just now, mpatrickriley said:

This would be my current understanding: if you put a L.A.B. putter in the Revealer, if you keep the lie angle constant, no matter which direction you move the putter, the face shouldn't twist on its own. I would love to see a video of Sam testing this; in fact, I think I'm going to submit that on the L.A.B. users Facebook group, where Sam is active, to see if I'm on the right track.

Which gets into the question on definition of terms: square to path and square to target.  If you move the putter in any direction and the face doesn't twist it is square to target.   In an arcing stroke to stay square to the path it has to rotate.  

On 9/22/2024 at 4:43 PM, Shankster said:

I was fit for the TSR4, it was #2 to the one I have in the bag.  I already know the specs.  I don’t think an extra yard or few will be worth the fitting time and extra $200?  Or would it.

I have made a tactical decision.  If I go with the TSR4 that I know I already love, that leaves me with $200 to spend elsewhere if I use new club economics… like toward a new putter, I normally don’t like putters, but I have found one that caught my eye.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

I have made a tactical decision.  If I go with the TSR4 that I know I already love, that leaves me with $200 to spend elsewhere if I use new club economics… like toward a new putter, I normally don’t like putters, but I have found one that caught my eye.

Hard to go wrong with a TSR driver.   If you bought a practically new, used TSR4, you could probably save another $150 or so.  Since many TSR4 users will upgrade to the GT.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

I used very similar logic this weekend to grab a GT-2 driver, GT-3 fairway, and Scotty Putter. It meant trading in my Ping Stockpile, but the club ho in me assures me it was worth it

WITB:

D: :titleist-small: GT-2 10° w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3W: :titleist-small: GT-3 15 Tensei Black 75 X

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

6i-PW:  :mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Recoil 110 f4

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Because I am hitting the Mizuno 6 hybrid (st-x 220) so well, I thought I'd look to get a matching 5 hybrid. Unfortunately, Maple Hill didn't have any of the clearance models in 5h with stiff shaft. The regular shaft is a hzrdus smoke black 80, which I've heard plays very firm. I hate that there isn't an easy way to see how various shafts from different manufacturers compare. 

The 6 hybrid has a tensei blue 70. I debated ordering the 5 hybrid with a regular flex, but also found a lightly used model with the Aldila Ascent 50 in a stiff for around the same price. I frequently hear that weight is more important than flex, but I think different people are more sensitive to different aspects. I wound up ordering the used stiff. 

It's interesting that the Mizuno st-x 220 is marketed as a draw biased high launching hybrid, with some extra weight towards the heel. I was hitting it with a slight fade and I normally hit clubs with a draw. This is my first season using hybrids, and I suspect I am swinging them with a less in to out path, and possibly slightly out to in to get the fade. Regardless, I am hitting them high and much more consistent on distance compared to my 5 and 6 irons. 

The 6 hybrid carries slightly less than my 5 iron but rolls out about 5-10 yards less. I am hoping the 5 hybrid will fill the gap well at the top end of my bag, where I'm not really expecting I'll get onto the green anyway. 

Edited by RickM71

Rick

Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke TD 10.5 Denali Black 60 Stiff
3 Wood:  Cobra Aerojet 15 Kai'li Blue 60 Stiff
3 Hybrid:  Cobra Aerojet 19 KBS PGI 85 Stiff
5 Hybrid - Mizuno 220 ST-X 220 Aldila Ascent 50 Stiff
6 Hybrid - Mizuno 220 ST-X 220 Tensei CK Blue 70 Stiff
Irons 5-Gap:  Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, Recoil SW 780 Stiff
Wedges:  Cleveland RTX3 V-MG Cavity Back 50 turned to 52 and 56/11
Putter:  Odyssey 2 Ball

I am currently on the hunt for a TM M3 3H preferably with the tensei clean stiff shaft in it. I have the 4h with ck blue and it’s great, but I had to piece it together lol. The 4 had a KBS tour proto 85 R I hit it good and far but it had a tendency to go left. Found the 5 with the tensei and snagged it. Now I’ve got my eye on a 3H with the same shaft. The tensei really feels good with the swing I put on my hybrid. Might have to make a move in this sucker!

I’ve got a bad feeling about this.

Driver-  image.png.c7958ee984bbf04f894ad61f7b2912ee.png     AI Smoke Triple Diamond 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ 6x/ image.png.34846e03859e439eea57f542ae27df59.png  Mini Burner Copper 11.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5

Fairway- image.png.05e3e95116b254160104eb63157eaf9c.png Stealth 2, 5 wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0/image.png.05e3e95116b254160104eb63157eaf9c.png Burner Bubble 2, 7 wood (sometimes)

Utility- IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpg.1b17f43b70edb2cc8206713b580280bc.jpg 3 Utility Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX 6.0 (sometimes)

Irons- default_mizuno-small.jpg.683f01332cf642e1a0791b7880818c55.jpg JPX 921 Forged KBS $120 5-GW

Wedges-titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpg.69fcd3f4fc6e6cc63e96630188337bff.jpg Vokey SM 56 and 60

Flatstick-titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpg.69fcd3f4fc6e6cc63e96630188337bff.jpg Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5 

On 9/22/2024 at 11:28 PM, RickM71 said:

Was just watching the LIV golf for the first time, and I noticed Dustin Johnson looked like he was using the Lab DF3 putter. I'm pretty sure he's a TaylorMade guy and even has a limited edition putter with his name on it. I'm curious if it is a Lab putter. 

After using it yesterday, I've watched a bunch of the YouTube videos about Lab putters. I get the concept but I'm not entirely convinced that zero torque in itself is always best, as the club is still anchored to the hands which do rotate with the arc of the swing.

For what it's worth (from someone with poor putting skills), I tried an Evnroll mallet and a Lab DF3 at a golf shop yesterday. On the shop putting mat, I struggled to miss with either. It might be how shop mats are designed. Or that I was breathing the rarefied air in the Auchterlonies golf shop, next to the Old Course at St Andrews.

I note that Evnroll offers a $25 virtual fitting. I am thinking of trying it out as I have no idea what my stroke is like, and whether I should be playing a blade or a mallet. Any one else tried the Evnroll fitting?

* Titleist 915 D2 - Accra iW4

* Callaway Rogue ST Max 5FW

* Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4 and 5 hybrids

* Callaway Steelhead XR 5-PW

* Ping Glide 4 50 and 56 / Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60

* Odyssey White Hot OG 7

* Mizuno RB566

* Shot Scope X5

Last week I had the opportunity to check out the Mizuno Tour Truck on its visit to a local golf club. My fitter had just worked with somebody called Luke Donald the day before. I understand said Luke is pretty good at hitting golf balls.

It must have been such a come-down to work with me next...

My fitter used the club that Mizuno recommends for analysing swing. It spewed out a couple recommendations of suitable heads and shafts: JPX925 and 925HL, coupled with the Nippon NS Pro Tour 105 shaft.

Now, I use Callaway Steelhead XR irons. I bought them second hand when I started playing golf less than a year ago. I have never hit any irons except the Callaway.

The 925 high launch was remarkable for me. The 7 iron carried around 20 yards further than my gamer and all the shots were in a narrower window, left to right.

I was also surprised how well I fared with a light steel shaft. My assumption has always been that a golfer like me, 60+ high handicapper) would fare better with graphite.

My question is this: the Mizunos are the only irons I have tried apart from my Callaway. Would any circa 2024 irons blow away a 2016 iron on distance, accuracy and shot height? Should I try others? Or fork out for the Mizunos?

Interestingly, the Mizuno spec from the fitting states that my lie angle is 1UP. Does that apply just to the specific Mizuno, or is that a data point that should apply to any iron purchase?

Edited by Green4Spinach

* Odyssey White Hot OG 7

* Mizuno RB566

* Shot Scope X5

10 minutes ago, Green4Spinach said:

Last week I had the opportunity to check out the Mizuno Tour Truck on its visit to a local golf club. My fitter had just worked with somebody called Luke Donald the day before. I understand said Luke is pretty good at hitting golf balls.

It must have been such a come-down to work with me next...

My fitter used the club that Mizuno recommends for analysing swing. It spewed out a couple recommendations of suitable heads and shafts: JPX925 and 925HL, coupled with the Nippon NS Pro Tour 105 shaft.

Now, I use Callaway Steelhead XR irons. I bought them second hand when I started playing golf less than a year ago. I have never hit any irons except the Callaway.

The 925 high launch was remarkable for me. The 7 iron carried around 20 yards further than my gamer and all the shots were in a narrower window, left to right.

I was also surprised how well I fared with a light steel shaft. My assumption has always been that a golfer like me, 60+ high handicapper) would fare better with graphite.

My question is this: the Mizunos are the only irons I have tried apart from my Callaway. Would any circa 2024 irons blow away a 2016 iron on distance, accuracy and shot height? Should I try others? Or fork out for the Mizunos?

Interestingly, the Mizuno spec from the fitting states that my lie angle is 1UP. Does that apply just to the specific Mizuno, or is that a data point that should apply to any iron purchase?

You might try the callaway smoke HL’s or even put a few swings on the Ai300’s. I’m fairly sure they around the same price. I can say the 300’s get the ball up quite well. I have a set of Mizuno 921 forged I was playing this year but we decided to separate while I test the Ai300’s for the forum. I haven’t told them yet but I’m fairly certain they’re bound for the closet for the time being as the 300’s are making the game a bit easier and more enjoyable to me. I do believe Ping offers a similar line as well. TM has the P790 and Qi10 lines. I would say go hit them all see what felt the best to you and then look at the numbers 

Driver-  image.png.c7958ee984bbf04f894ad61f7b2912ee.png     AI Smoke Triple Diamond 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ 6x/ image.png.34846e03859e439eea57f542ae27df59.png  Mini Burner Copper 11.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5

Fairway- image.png.05e3e95116b254160104eb63157eaf9c.png Stealth 2, 5 wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0/image.png.05e3e95116b254160104eb63157eaf9c.png Burner Bubble 2, 7 wood (sometimes)

Utility- IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpg.1b17f43b70edb2cc8206713b580280bc.jpg 3 Utility Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX 6.0 (sometimes)

Irons- default_mizuno-small.jpg.683f01332cf642e1a0791b7880818c55.jpg JPX 921 Forged KBS $120 5-GW

Wedges-titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpg.69fcd3f4fc6e6cc63e96630188337bff.jpg Vokey SM 56 and 60

Flatstick-titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpg.69fcd3f4fc6e6cc63e96630188337bff.jpg Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5 

I'm still thinking about a blade putter and a mini driver 🤔...maybe the spouse will get me fitted with one or both for Christmas?...Nah, probably not. 

I came across a great deal on a Rapsodo Mobile Launch Monitor and couldn't help but share...maybe I'll add that to my list?

https://www.worldwidegolfshops.com/rapsodo-mobile-launch-monitor-300000597/p?irclickid=1arTm6ThrxyPTVcw6R3znwhNUkCybEydTU3jS40&utm_medium=affiliate&irgwc=1

Greg O'Connor

Despite having already had my big re-loading year,
like most players interested in the equipment,
I look forward to the imminent 2025 releases.

I'm not seriously thinking about actually buying anything except for a rumored putter now in beta testing
and a bag that nobody is actually making yet.

I'm sure that I'll be starting next season with this year's balls because I still have a lot.

On 9/22/2024 at 3:49 PM, Green4Spinach said:

I tried the Footjoy first. My left foot moved around too much in the shoe. A smaller size was just too tight. So I then tried the Under Armour and the size felt just right. Saturday morning's 9 hole went really well, without me thinking about my shoes even once. An excellent result, in my book.

However, Sunday morning brought plenty of rain, including a tornado in Aldershot, about 45 minutes away. Three holes in and I was sensing damp socks. At the end of nine holes, I knew my feet were wet. And I knew I was going to return the shoes.

I returned the shoes to the retailer, who to their credit, did not contest my claim. It helped that the shoes were still damp inside...

Let's see how Under Armour responds to the claim.

Just for the record, Under Armour has agreed to refund me for the shoes that got my feet wet.

The manager of the shoe store at the golf club where I bought the Under Armour shoes said that if I really wanted a waterproof pair I should look at Footjoy or Ecco. I know there are more waterproof shoes out there since my existing Pumas have kept me dry for the ten months I have had them.

I could not find a Footjoy pair to fit me properly - which is how I ended up with the Under Armour. I have worn many pairs of non-golf Ecco shoes and find them very comfortable. I'm going to try some Ecco golf shoes today. Thoughts?

* Odyssey White Hot OG 7

* Mizuno RB566

* Shot Scope X5

On 9/17/2024 at 5:03 PM, GolferXY said:

That's just an opportunity for greatness!  I didn't know that Sun Mountain makes trolleys.  Have you used it yet?

Hi @GolferXY, I can now report that the Sun Mountain trolley with accompanying umbrella is exactly what the doctor ordered for playing walking golf in England's green and pleasant land. Yes, green means wet too. Here's what the rig looks like.

20240922_080320.jpg.221c87c51ced194f8c2ba8d54a1df002.jpg

* Odyssey White Hot OG 7

* Mizuno RB566

* Shot Scope X5

4 hours ago, Green4Spinach said:

Just for the record, Under Armour has agreed to refund me for the shoes that got my feet wet.

The manager of the shoe store at the golf club where I bought the Under Armour shoes said that if I really wanted a waterproof pair I should look at Footjoy or Ecco. I know there are more waterproof shoes out there since my existing Pumas have kept me dry for the ten months I have had them.

I could not find a Footjoy pair to fit me properly - which is how I ended up with the Under Armour. I have worn many pairs of non-golf Ecco shoes and find them very comfortable. I'm going to try some Ecco golf shoes today. Thoughts?

for me, ecco shoes do not provide enough arch support. i will get plantar with those shoes and that is a pain i can do without.  I will say the pair i had did keep my feet dry for the little while that i wore them.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

I am at the place where i golf enough and want to continue golfing that i want to start looking into upgraded clubs.  Right now i am rocking a starter strata set with shafts that probably dont help with my swing speed.    Here is my dilemma and i am hoping yall can give me some advice.  I need to upgrade this piece by piece. My first stop is either driver or irons.  I cant see myself getting brand new irons unless i go dtc irons.  i am really looking into couple year old srixon zx5 or zx7.  If i bought them used would getting them fitted afterward be reasonable (complete newbie to all things fitting)?  Driver i think i could afford a new one without the wife murding me.  i would just go all out and do a full set fitting but i like living haha.  Any advice, experience, or mistakes i should avoid would be greatly apprciated!

Edited by fatewithabadge
grammer

Timothy Henning

21 hours ago, Grip said:

I'm still thinking about a blade putter and a mini driver 🤔...maybe the spouse will get me fitted with one or both for Christmas?...Nah, probably not. 

I came across a great deal on a Rapsodo Mobile Launch Monitor and couldn't help but share...maybe I'll add that to my list?

https://www.worldwidegolfshops.com/rapsodo-mobile-launch-monitor-300000597/p?irclickid=1arTm6ThrxyPTVcw6R3znwhNUkCybEydTU3jS40&utm_medium=affiliate&irgwc=1

I mean on the mini driver and putter front Mike from PXG was discussing their Allan putter and said they will be bringing a mini driver to market so. 1 store 1 fitting, I’m just saying I support you in the quest you’re on!

30 minutes ago, fatewithabadge said:

I am at the place where i golf enough and want to continue golfing that i want to start looking into upgrade clubs.  Right now i am rocking a starter strata set with shafts that probably dont help with my swing speed.    Here is my delima and i am hoping yall can give me some advice.  I need to upgrade this piece by piece. My first stop is either driver or irons.  I cant see myself getting brand new irons unless i go dtc irons.  i am really looking into couple year old srixon zx5 or zx7.  If i bought them used would getting them fitted afterward be reasonable (complete newbie to all things fitting).   Driver i think i could afford a new one without the wife murding me.  i would just got all out and do a full set fitting but i like living haha.  Any advice, experience, or mistakes i should avoid would be greatly apprciated!

So here's what I have done over the past two years.  I have been playing for 50+ years and have only had 4 or 5 sets of irons.  The ones I played with from the early 2000s until 2022 were "fitted" (in that I had a guy construct some Ping knockoffs based on my body measurements, not my swing).  But when I retired 2 years ago I did a couple of fittings (free Callaway demo day and then paid at a local shop that allowed me to try a couple of other brands and confirmed the +2 lie and graphite shafts recommendation) then ended up buying PXGs when they were clearing out older models and offering free shipping (was able to configure online to my specs).  Figured I could buy brand new for what I was looking at used clubs for.  Basically did the same with my driver (used off eBay with specs I was fitted for).  My hybrids are used as well, just matched shaft flex to my driver fitting.  Wedges - again used but I have gone through several different brands and lofts until I settled on Cleveland 54 and 58.  These clubs are all new to me over the last 2 years.  Only club I still have from before is my putter only because it still works fairly well.  

Probably in the minority here but I don't think a $1000 set of irons or a $500 driver makes much difference for a 20+ handicap.  I think you can spend half that or less on new DTC or a couple year old used clubs and get just as much enjoyment out of the game.  As you improve (because I also think at least 75% of any problems with our game and score is yourself - your swing, mental and other personal factors) you can spend more money and get some higher end sticks.

PXG Gen6 0311 driver 9 degree with Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g stiff shaft

Tour Edge Exotics C722 2 hybrid (17 degree)

Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 3 hybrid (20 degree)

Callaway Mavrik 5 hybrid (23 degree)

PXG 0311XP Gen3 irons 6-PW

Wedges: Edel 48 degree;  Cleveland RTX Fullface 52 degree; Cleveland Smartsole 58 degree

Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 putter

7 minutes ago, puffler said:

Probably in the minority here but I don't think a $1000 set of irons or a $500 driver makes much difference for a 20+ handicap.  I think you can spend half that or less on new DTC or a couple year old used clubs and get just as much enjoyment out of the game.  As you improve (because I also think at least 75% of any problems with our game and score is yourself - your swing, mental and other personal factors) you can spend more money and get some higher end sticks.

Fwiw I'd generally after with that. Yes there are "better" clubs out there, but unless you know for sure that the current set is actually hurting your swing .. then one route is to look for demo days at courses near you, and go to a big box store and try different things, to get a feel of what's out there and what the differences really are vs what you've got now. 

If you're convinced, for example, the Strata driver is really holding you back then that's the place to start. Lots of good sites online to buy good used gear, and lots of good end of season sales going on now.

Test and demo and shop around 👍

Edited by cksurfdude

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

11 minutes ago, puffler said:

So here's what I have done over the past two years.  I have been playing for 50+ years and have only had 4 or 5 sets of irons.  The ones I played with from the early 2000s until 2022 were "fitted" (in that I had a guy construct some Ping knockoffs based on my body measurements, not my swing).  But when I retired 2 years ago I did a couple of fittings (free Callaway demo day and then paid at a local shop that allowed me to try a couple of other brands and confirmed the +2 lie and graphite shafts recommendation) then ended up buying PXGs when they were clearing out older models and offering free shipping (was able to configure online to my specs).  Figured I could buy brand new for what I was looking at used clubs for.  Basically did the same with my driver (used off eBay with specs I was fitted for).  My hybrids are used as well, just matched shaft flex to my driver fitting.  Wedges - again used but I have gone through several different brands and lofts until I settled on Cleveland 54 and 58.  These clubs are all new to me over the last 2 years.  Only club I still have from before is my putter only because it still works fairly well.  

4 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Fwiw I'd generally after with that. Yes there are "better" clubs out there, but unless you know for sure that the current set is actually hurting your swing .. then one route is to look for demo days at courses near you, and go to a big box store and try different things, to get a feel of what's out there and what the differences really are vs what you've got now. 

If you're convinced, for example, the Strata driver is really holding you back then that's the place to start. Lots of good sites online to buy good used gear, and lots of good end of season sales going on now.

Test and demo and shop around 👍

Definitely agree with both takes. I was gaming a cobra Radspeed I got on a deal new from Rock Bottom Golf used it until this match this year when Golf Galaxy had the LTDx used for just over $100 traded a few old clubs and picked it up mainly because I was figuring out my swing in the backyard and changing stuff with the Radspeed and the face color at the bottom wasn’t as pretty anymore lol. I also did the same with my irons. I was very fortunate to get to test the Callaways for the forum had I not been picked I’d still be using my new to me Mizuno 921’s that were in fantastic shape! Nothing wrong with picking up older gently used items on a discount. 

1 hour ago, fatewithabadge said:

I am at the place where i golf enough and want to continue golfing that i want to start looking into upgraded clubs.  Right now i am rocking a starter strata set with shafts that probably dont help with my swing speed.    Here is my dilemma and i am hoping yall can give me some advice.  I need to upgrade this piece by piece. My first stop is either driver or irons.  I cant see myself getting brand new irons unless i go dtc irons.  i am really looking into couple year old srixon zx5 or zx7.  If i bought them used would getting them fitted afterward be reasonable (complete newbie to all things fitting)?  Driver i think i could afford a new one without the wife murding me.  i would just go all out and do a full set fitting but i like living haha.  Any advice, experience, or mistakes i should avoid would be greatly apprciated!

In keeping with others advice, definitely demo and try out a variety of clubs. Most Golf Galaxies and PGA SS’s have used sections where try out different clubs to see what you like. Once you have an idea, then there are numerous sites online where deals can be had. 

And yes, you can have a used set of irons fit to your specs, once you have found what you are looking for. The ZX5 and ZX7 are excellent irons 😁

WITB:

D: :titleist-small: GT-2 10° w/ GD Tour AD-UB 6s

3W: :titleist-small: GT-3 15 Tensei Black 75 X

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

4i:mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Project X io 6.0

6i-PW:  :mizuno-small: Pro 225 with Recoil 110 f4

50,54° & 58°: :vokey-small: SM-10

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

1 hour ago, fatewithabadge said:

i would go along with what others have said.  try out different clubs to see what you like what you dont like.  i would definitely buy used clubs especially drivers or previous year models at a reduced price.  they will hit just as far as a new model but save you more cash.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW