Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New 3 Wood

Thatginger96

I've been fighting with my 3 wood(s) for the past 4 months. Originally I gamed the Callaway X2 Hot 3 wood, it was long for me but it didn't suit my eye and was to deep a face for me to be confident off the deck with. I recently picked up a Nike Vapor Flex 3 wood on sale. It suits my eye and I can hit it well off the deck, it just lacks distance. It goes 10-15 yards shorter than the Callaway.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what 3 woods I should be looking at?

TaylorMade M2. Stupid long and really easy to launch. I usually play a 17 degree 4 wood instead of all 3 wood, but the M2 of so easy to hit off the deck I was able to drop all the way down to the 15 degree 3 wood (they also have a 16.5 degree high launch 3 wood)

I have an older Titleist 910F 3 wood which I like because of the smaller profile and is long off the tee, off the deck I have a harder time getting it airborne. I also have a Mizuno jpx ez 3 wood which has a larger head but is easier to get up in the air but sometimes it's too high so I lose distance vs my Titleist 910F

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I have a Callaway Big Bertha V Series 3 wood that I love. The Warbird sole makes it easy to hit off the deck and the club is wicked long. Easiest club to hit in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Callaway Rouge ST Max Driver, Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Fairway, Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Callaway Rouge ST Max 3 Hybrid, Tensei AV Blue 75 S

PXG 0311 XP G3 Irons 5-GW, True Temper Elevate Tour S

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Wedge 54º, 60º, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

PXG Blackjack Putter

Titleist Pro V1

I've been fighting with my 3 wood(s) for the past 4 months. Originally I gamed the Callaway X2 Hot 3 wood, it was long for me but it didn't suit my eye and was to deep a face for me to be confident off the deck with. I recently picked up a Nike Vapor Flex 3 wood on sale. It suits my eye and I can hit it well off the deck, it just lacks distance. It goes 10-15 yards shorter than the Callaway.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what 3 woods I should be looking at?

I use to hate any and every 3 wood until I made the tiniest bit of adjustment in my stance about two weeks ago. The fitter pointed it out when I asked him to check out my lie angle on my irons. Since then I've killed it.

Point is, is there a chance it's the Indian and not the arrow? Regardless, I need an M2 fairway.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Actually I hit the same 3 wood for over 13 seasons an old Steelhead Cally 3+. The shaft finally got too stiff for me ( old UST 95 Gold Stiff) and I was thinking of reshafting until I stumbled over an Adams Super S in 15* with a Bassara regular shaft. It is one of those clubs that sat and felt good when I first picked it up. Man it is a rocket for me. You can find those cheap. I was so impressed that I also got the 5 wood that matches it. I can tell you for a fact these 2 woods will be in the bag a while. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I was gaming an old Cobra FST until I got the Mizuno JPX-EZ...this thing is the goods for me, longer off the tee and damn if I can't hit it off the deck, it's stupid easy.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'm beginning to fall out of love with my 3 wood - the shaft's not quite right for me. I have to swing at 80% speed to hit it straight, 90% will give me a baby draw & 100% puts it in the trees down the left. I've been eyeing off a XR16 Pro fairway with a Tour Spec shaft that's pretty much the FWY equivalent to my driver shaft.

However, like any other club, you just need to get out there and try out all the options. Good luck.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

M2 and XR16 Pro would be my alternatives.

But I love my X2Hot!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

... The Adams LS 18* plays like a 3 wood and is as long as any I have hit and love the stock Kuro Kage Black shaft. In fact I installed it in the Taylor Made Aeroburner 17.2* Tour issue head I am playing. Picked the head up for $89 off Ebay and it doesn't have the annoying slot in the top like the LS that fills with grass. If I were buying new today, I would pick up the M2 but am very happy with my Aeroburner. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I recently moved back to a 13* tour edge 3 wood and love it.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

The M2 is a great option and like Jlukes said it's crazy long, offers a ton of forgiveness and gets up pretty easily from the deck.

Personally, though, I recently put my F6 Baffler back in the bag and dialed down the loft to 16* and it couldn't be more ideal for me.  The shaft isn't as long as a traditional 3 wood so distance won't be up to snuff totally with the M2.  But the Baffler is just stupid easy to hit from literally any lie...and I mean anything.  Really good option that I'd take a hard look at or possibly the new F7 line coming next month, which uses the Baffler rail technology.

The M2 is a great option and like Jlukes said it's crazy long, offers a ton of forgiveness and gets up pretty easily from the deck.

Personally, though, I recently put my F6 Baffler back in the bag and dialed down the loft to 16* and it couldn't be more ideal for me.  The shaft isn't as long as a traditional 3 wood so distance won't be up to snuff totally with the M2.  But the Baffler is just stupid easy to hit from literally any lie...and I mean anything.  Really good option that I'd take a hard look at or possibly the new F7 line coming next month, which uses the Baffler rail technology.

I got to see the F7 line this week. It was really the first time I've seen the newer clubs with the baffler. It looked very good. Didn't get to hit it though.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I just can't say enough good things about Touredge exotics. I'm still gaming my cb4 tour and it is lights out for me. Case in point playing on simulators the other night for our winter league and on a par 5 we used my brother's drive because I misfired out of bounds and we have 280 yards to go and I struck it perfectly and with a tiny bit of draw went 283 yards. No that is not typical of me to get that kind of distance but what the hay, we were on in two while our opponents who only had 200 yards in both missed the green.

Can't go wrong with Touredge

Sent from my XT1563 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• 2 weeks later...

For me personally, the King LTD 3 wood is the best I've hit. I've tried multiple times to find something to replace it and it keeps on ending up back in the bag. I hit it longer and straighter than anything on the market, but everyone's swing is different so it may not work for you. I'm a higher spin player and this one keeps my numbers down to a manageable level which makes it work well for my swing.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I have the following:

Bombtech 15* 3W

Cobra F6 Baffler 16* 4W

Both are not used at the same time.....so it depends on the course I am playing.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

100% pointless post by myself here but had to share...

600 yard par 5... Up hill the whole way. Hit driver and left myself 270 out. Waited 15 min for the green to clear(asshat 5some wouldn't let us play through). Hit 3 wood(tour edge) over the center of the green when I finally got to play.

It was one of a few bright spots in my first full 18 holes back in a month.

Tour edge is alright by me

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I sling a Tour Edge CB4 16.5 4 wood and like it a lot. Tour Edge fairways are some of the best.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

100% pointless post by myself here but had to share...

600 yard par 5... Up hill the whole way. Hit driver and left myself 270 out. Waited 15 min for the green to clear(asshat 5some wouldn't let us play through). Hit 3 wood(tour edge) over the center of the green when I finally got to play.

It was one of a few bright spots in my first full 18 holes back in a month.

Tour edge is alright by me

Sent from my LG-AS990 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Nothing wrong with a little bragging! I just hope the hole was playing downwind and a 1000 feet above sea level because you're making me feel weak with those distances! :) I did have a Tour Edge 3 wood several years ago and it was one of the longest I've ever hit.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Nothing wrong with a little bragging! I just hope the hole was playing downwind and a 1000 feet above sea level because you're making me feel weak with those distances! :) I did have a Tour Edge 3 wood several years ago and it was one of the longest I've ever hit.

Nope I'm at sea level here but there was some wind blowing right to left and helping a little. That's why I think I went long... 270 up hill is a good strike for me if I'm coming off the deck. Let alone going over the green. 

And yes it was definitely a brag  :rolleyes:  B)

I used to play a Callaway XHot Pro 17*, but the face got dented, I loved that thing, I am in the process of getting another one, for now I have an old Ping G25 (see sig for specs), I have forgotten how easy to hit from any lie and how long this club is, this is the only reason I am taking my time to get the 4W...

Driver              SLDR TP 10.5* with Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X, 44.25"

3W                  Ping G25 with Diamana White Board D+ 82X, 42.5", tipped .5"

Driving Iron     Callaway X Prototype Utility with Tour AD DI 105X

Irons               4-P Callaway Tour Authentic Prototype with KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges          Cleveland RTX-588 46, 50, 54, 58 with True Temper DG Tour X100

Putter              Odyssey White Hot Pro Tour V-Line with Super Stroke 1.0 Pistol GT Tour, 33.25"

Golf Ball          Kirkland Signatures and Chrome Soft 2016

Archived