Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Looking for recommendations from forum members in or around Phoenix.

Looking for any input on Pros/Instructors doing lessons in or around Phoenix.

I have been playing for 28 years and haven't had any instruction since my high school days.

I have usually been able to work out issues on my own but lately I am having a hard time with consistency off of the tee.

I know why I'm having the issues, just can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

If you've used anyone in or around the valley and had success I would love to hear about it.

I am looking for someone who will be involved with the process and not just give me some quick tips and tell me to hit the range.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I have never had lessons in the Phoenix area.  About 12 years ago I took a plunge to learn the Single Plane Swing, so I have been dedicated to that swing method ever since.  However, I do watch some of the tips on certain topics (mostly short game) from Martin Chuck who teaches out of the Raven GC.  He has some interesting approaches to teaching.

It's nice to see you back on the forums!  It's been quite awhile.  Do you have any recommendations for nice, relatively inexpensive golf courses in Phoenix?  My wife and I will be arriving on Jan 29 and staying until Feb 11.  We loved to play at Vistal GC (formally the Thunderbird course) on South Mountain but it closed over a year ago and is now probably a housing development.  We are staying on that end of town off Baseline Road.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yeah, when I moved down here golf took kind of a back seat, now that I'm able to play more I'll be on here more : )

It's just not right that you move to a place you can basically play all year round and play less.

I will check out Martin and see what he has to offer.

I have only been down here for a year and 9 months so I don't know about most of the many courses down here.

Here is a list of where I've played, basic costs, and my impressions. Unfortunately I'm up North so I haven't played any courses I would consider "close" to Vistal.

Quintero - 130-200 right now, best course I've played down here so far.

Kierland - 150-200 right now, two courses, well kept, some of the holes seemed gimmicky to me but still fun.

Dove Valley Ranch - 80-160 right now, This is the course I play the most at, well kept, fun, but still a challenge.

Estrella Golf Club - 100 right now. Nice course and another long drive. Well kept and fun to play.

McCormick Ranch - 50-80 right now. Two courses, decent layout and well kept, great value but go early, played there three times, slow every time.

Stoncreek - 40-80 right now. Good course, kind of tight in spots but well maintained, great value.

Starfire - 40-70 right now. three 9's, the two I've played were fun and play was nice and smooth. Well taken care of and great value.

Orange Tree 60-80 right now. I have played this course a lot as one of my friends lives next to it. I don't care for it, but it's in decent shape and has some mature trees which is a rarity down here.

Toka Sticks - 30 -40 Fun layout and average quality course, long drive but still a decent course.

The 500 club - 70-80 Fun course that is average shape, wide open and easy off of the tee. Their 9 hole course is the best one I've played quality wise.

Cave Creek Golf Course - City of Phoenix course, layout is decent, but not as nice as the other courses above. Public rates though make it super affordable.

Ken McDonald Golf Course - Easy course but still fun, not as well kept as the others, but again you can't beat the price and the greens are fine.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Many thanks for the list.  I played a tournament at Stone Creek, but that was many years ago.  Toka Sticks and Estrella are on my list to check out.  Two years ago we played Legend Trail in N. Scottsdale; pricey and I wasn't impressed.  Years ago, I played many of the very nice courses; TPC, Troon North, Grayhawk, Camelback, Wildfire, but I played them in the middle of the summer.  Prices were fairly cheap.  Now that I am paying for two, price is a bigger concern.  When costs get too high, my wife gets nervous and doesn't play very well.  We always try to fit in a really nice course though, but we are just happy to get out of the cold northwest for nice, warm golf this time of year.  Thanks again, and hime to hear more from you this year.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

I take lessons from John Kostis at Greyhawk. Great instructor, highly recommended. Even though you are up north I implore you to make a trip down to Southern Dunes in Maricopa. Great course. I would also recommend Dinosaur Mountain in Gold Canyon. It's way out east, but a good course to play in the summer. 

Formally gotj1

I loved Greyhawk, but that was 10+ years ago.  I've been thinking about making a trip out to Gold Canyon this trip.  Don't know anything about Southern Dunes.  Thanks, I'll check it out.

Archived