Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Camping Thread

Shankster

Just picked up my new/used travel trailer. Went back to an old stomping grounds to get it. Man how times have changed.

attachicon.gifIMG_1293.JPG

- Alan

It's fun to go camping  and you will enjoy your camper for sure.  My wife and I went camping with her brother and wife last year at Jeykll Island.  They have a rather large camper that he pulls with his three wheel. We played golf during the day and cooked steaks at night.  Life of Riley  :P 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

That is awesome Alan.I remember the trips with my mother and father either up north to The upper pennisula.Or out west to the Rockies / or down south to Smokeys.Such fun times.Your camper reminds me of the movie "The long long trailer" with Lucille Ball.

I need to get one of those and take the family

Keep it in the short stuff

I like to go backpacking. Do it every summer. Nice trailer!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

That is awesome Alan.I remember the trips with my mother and father either up north to The upper pennisula.Or out west to the Rockies / or down south to Smokeys.Such fun times.Your camper reminds me of the movie "The long long trailer" with Lucille Ball.

LOL you are telling your age now talking about Lucy and the long long trailer----- Yeah I will admit I know all about that movie too! :rolleyes:

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Just picked up my new/used travel trailer. Went back to an old stomping grounds to get it. Man how times have changed.

attachicon.gifIMG_1293.JPG

- Alan

Nice I like the pull out awning--- It should pull well down the road with the wheels back and the tongue weight. Looks like you have a good tow vehicle as well

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Congratulations!

Hope u enjoy it. Camping was a big part of my wife and I earlier years. Kids also enjoyed it for a while.

We've thought about getting a 5th wheel or coach but I'm not into driving long distances anymore.

Enjoy Bud!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Eventful evening. Drove 300 miles total to pick this thing up. Got 30 miles on our return trip and blew one of the tires. Drove back on the one axle... the 30 miles. Luckily tractor supply co had one, and the Gents at the local CG station let me use their tools. I broke my golden rule, no spare tire and no tools on the trip. All is well, parked in the Das Shanks Haus aka "Da Shack" driveway.

Eventful evening. Drove 300 miles total to pick this thing up. Got 30 miles on our return trip and blew one of the tires. Drove back on the one axle... the 30 miles. Luckily tractor supply co had one, and the Gents at the local CG station let me use their tools. I broke my golden rule, no spare tire and no tools on the trip. All is well, parked in the ShanksHaus driveway.

My mom had a (true) story about one of our camping trips published in a magazine. They wanted some camping nightmares, or something like that. Absolutely anything that could've gone wrong did. Went to this one welding/fab shop in the small town near the campsite 3 times in one day.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks. Where'd you go camping UP here? We are going to:

1. Two Hearted River

2. Tahquamenon Falls (spellcheck that)

3. Lake of the Clouds

4. Pictured Rocks

5. Somewhere in the backcountry

Then a few places in the LP.

- Alan

My mom had a (true) story about one of our camping trips published in a magazine. They wanted some camping nightmares, or something like that. Absolutely anything that could've gone wrong did. Went to this one welding/fab shop in the small town near the campsite 3 times in one day.

We used to have a pop up... worst investment I ever made. It had a power lift too... got so soggy that the dang lift posts pushed right through the top. No more of that crap for me!

- Alan

We used to have a pop up... worst investment I ever made. It had a power lift too... got so soggy that the dang lift posts pushed right through the top. No more of that crap for me!

- Alan

I agree. Parents have a hard top tent trailer but I'd want to get something like yours. Been in too many storms with a leaky canvas

I agree. Parents have a hard top tent trailer but I'd want to get something like yours. Been in too many storms with a leaky canvas

Mines a Hybrid. The two ends fold down similar to a pop up. When I get it unfolded I'll put up another picture. It's a 18' Forest River Roo if you want to look them up. Best of both worlds "says the wife"

- Alan

Thanks. Where'd you go camping UP here? We are going to:

1. Two Hearted River

2. Tahquamenon Falls (spellcheck that)

3. Lake of the Clouds

4. Pictured Rocks

5. Somewhere in the backcountry

Then a few places in the LP.

- Alan

Been almost 25 years ago. But I remember Fort Wilkins(spelling ?).Was just beautiful there

In my younger days I spent way to many days/nights camping in tents, sleeping on the ground in rain and snow.  Now my idea of camping is the Fairfield Inn by Marriott.  I'd much rather be in the JW Marriott.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

In my younger days I spent way to many days/nights camping in tents, sleeping on the ground in rain and snow. Now my idea of camping is the Fairfield Inn by Marriott. I'd much rather be in the JW Marriott.

This one doesn't have AC... or heated beds. It's gonna be roughing it.

- Alan

Don't camp much anymore but grew up spending summers with my Old Man and his Winebago. Went all over the US and when I got my license we took the Harleys with us. Favorite ride (and trip) was riding through the Black Hills on the bike. We were planning a Mexico trip for one last ride and unfortunately his illness got the best of him before we could do it. Lots of great memories on the open road.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Eventful evening. Drove 300 miles total to pick this thing up. Got 30 miles on our return trip and blew one of the tires. Drove back on the one axle... the 30 miles. Luckily tractor supply co had one, and the Gents at the local CG station let me use their tools. I broke my golden rule, no spare tire and no tools on the trip. All is well, parked in the Das Shanks Haus aka "Da Shack" driveway.

I will give you a serious piece of advice here if I may. I see this a lot in the summer with all the camper trailers coming down here. Check your tires. A lot of folks use their camper one or two times a year and tires tend to dry rot. A lot of the campers come stock with cheap quality tires. I suggest going to a good tire dealer (not Wal-Mart) and talk to them about quality tires made for trailers. I have never owned a camper but have towed race car trailers all over the country. I have never had tire trouble due to the fact I kept quality tires designed for trailers on mine. Another problem I see are wheel bearings they need maintenance too. I suggest what they call bearing buddies where you can grease the wheel bearings without taking the caps off and packing them. A lot of it is the climate and how you store the unit when not in use. A lot of folks do not realize how much they weigh up a camper when they get all of their stuff in them. When I was in the towing business we did a lot of road service calls in season on campers mostly tires and wheel bearings. We had a deal with a local tire dealer where we ran all of their road calls and we kept several sizes of popular tires and rims mounted up. We also stocked several popular sized wheel bearing kits too. If someone does not know it would pay them pre vacation trip to have a unit checked for safety by a professional mechanic.  Happy Camping

G

I love camping. In fact I've camped all over the country. Places like Marriott, Omni, La Quinta, Hilton, Four Seasons, etc. I especially enjoy roughing it out by the pool and chowing down on a pioneer breakfast in the garden grill. 

https://youtu.be/umS3XM3xAPk

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I love camping. In fact I've camped all over the country. Places like Marriott, Omni, La Quinta, Hilton, Four Seasons, etc. I especially enjoy roughing it out by the pool and chowing down on a pioneer breakfast in the garden grill.

https://youtu.be/umS3XM3xAPk

i want you too camp more.And post pics here of you really camping

Nice travel trailer. I used to go backpacking up in the Sierra Nevadas every year. The last time was 2011 though, kids have put an end to the backpacking trips for now.

My wife isn't into camping but we have started discussing maybe getting a trailer or RV now that the kids are getting older. I love getting away from civilization for a few days.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I will give you a serious piece of advice here if I may. I see this a lot in the summer with all the camper trailers coming down here. Check your tires. A lot of folks use their camper one or two times a year and tires tend to dry rot. A lot of the campers come stock with cheap quality tires. I suggest going to a good tire dealer (not Wal-Mart) and talk to them about quality tires made for trailers. I have never owned a camper but have towed race car trailers all over the country. I have never had tire trouble due to the fact I kept quality tires designed for trailers on mine. Another problem I see are wheel bearings they need maintenance too. I suggest what they call bearing buddies where you can grease the wheel bearings without taking the caps off and packing them. A lot of it is the climate and how you store the unit when not in use. A lot of folks do not realize how much they weigh up a camper when they get all of their stuff in them. When I was in the towing business we did a lot of road service calls in season on campers mostly tires and wheel bearings. We had a deal with a local tire dealer where we ran all of their road calls and we kept several sizes of popular tires and rims mounted up. We also stocked several popular sized wheel bearing kits too. If someone does not know it would pay them pre vacation trip to have a unit checked for safety by a professional mechanic. Happy Camping

I had a pop up so I am familiar with the "joys" of owning a RV. And for my job I do Trailer maintenance, boat maintenance, and vehicle maintenance. So hopefully I can figure out an issues I might run into.

I will be switching to a wet oil bath bearing in the near future, probably replacing all 4 tires, and probably some sort of weight distribution system.

- Alan

Nice travel trailer. I used to go backpacking up in the Sierra Nevadas every year. The last time was 2011 though, kids have put an end to the backpacking trips for now.

My wife isn't into camping but we have started discussing maybe getting a trailer or RV now that the kids are getting older. I love getting away from civilization for a few days.

Yeah, I used to backpack the Pictured Rocks, and other parts of the north country trail. 5 kids, no backpacking in the near future. A RV parked by a river full of trout "might" be just as good or better.

- Alan

I had a pop up so I am familiar with the "joys" of owning a RV. And for my job I do Trailer maintenance, boat maintenance, and vehicle maintenance. So hopefully I can figure out an issues I might run into.

I will be switching to a wet oil bath bearing in the near future, probably replacing all 4 tires, and probably some sort of weight distribution system.

- Alan

Ok so you know all about it good deal.  Yep I like the wet  hubs too they just ain't for the average folks with no mechanical knowledge. 

G

Ok so you know all about it good deal. Yep I like the wet hubs too they just ain't for the average folks with no mechanical knowledge.

Agreed. We have a new trailer for one of our boats with those air bearings... not a fan.

Wet bath is the only way to go. You can visually see what the level is. I also use the tire pressure valve stem caps too. Makes pre trip checks a piece of cake.

- Alan

In my younger days I spent way to many days/nights camping in tents, sleeping on the ground in rain and snow.  Now my idea of camping is the Fairfield Inn by Marriott.  I'd much rather be in the JW Marriott.

We're on the same page, for sure.    Now, to me, roughing it is slow room service.

I know of people that will drive for miles or take day trips just to see the trees with colorful leaves.   Having they seen trees before, to me, it was just a sign that winter is coming.

We're on the same page, for sure.    Now, to me, roughing it is slow room service.

I know of people that will drive for miles or take day trips just to see the trees with colorful leaves.   Having they seen trees before, to me, it was just a sign that winter is coming.

Many years ago a co-worker borrowed his dad's Winnebago to drive to a spot just north of San Francisco, a trip of about 600 miles.  It's a small Winnebago but it was just he and his wife, and they we going to stay in it while they were there.  Took him 2 days travel and he had to stop 4 times for gas.  I could drive it in my car in 11 hours, stopping once for gas.  The Fairfield Inn is much more comfortable.  He ended up eating out because his wife didn't want to cook.

Travel trailer or motorhome camping is nice if you are into that thing.  When I want to go somewhere, I want to get there quickly.  I'm not one to leisurely take the scenic route and spend nights alongside the road or in a campground with other travelers.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived